Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

kastein posted:

Man, I want one of those so drat bad :(

Too bad they've basically all rusted out, been hackjobbed by their 10 owners, or simply been scrapped by someone who thought "old lovely truck who cares" by now. I mean, they're out there, but the choices are pretty awful and range from "rusted" to "beat" with a couple "perfect, but the guy knows what it's worth" thrown in for good measure... unless you have $40k.

Won't be sharing a road with this one anytime soon, it has under 2500 well-documented miles on it.

Mine was bought brand new in town in 1977. The original owner kept meticulous records until he sold it in 2000. I wish I still had the records - every light bulb , belt and oil change for almost 30 years was documented by hand on notebook paper, with dates and mileages. It was pretty incredible. All the rust probably didn't happen until around 2002. Seawater is a sonofabitch.

The second owner put the bed on. It was like 1/8in steel plate and featured pockmarks from where the PO's friend tried to drunkenly shoot through it with a .357

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Ir sounds like you're talking about the special snowflake that is California, which is a study in how to go too far on these matters.

In terms of emissions, yes, but I've encountered the same mentality with other things, and it's just as poo poo then.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Michael Scott posted:

http://vimeo.com/112263732

:nms: Warning, almost certain death in this video, no human gore, just car gore.

Skip to 30 seconds in.

e: Sorry, just noticed the dashcam thread, which this would be more appropriate for!

Well, on the upside, there's a flatbed right there!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Oh man. Brutal. :nms:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=362_1416691336

quote:

CCTV Footage of the massive wreck in Oak Lawn, IL
[Oct 5] 3 people died and 11 injured in this horrific crash.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 24, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Guy on the motorcycle is lucky as hell. Can't say the same for anyone else. What can you even do about that other than close your eyes?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What the gently caress was that guy even doing? Speeding down the oncoming traffic lane? The only person I hope died in that collision is the dumb gently caress who was driving the truck, and I hope he bled out through his crushed testicles just so he was adequately punished for that.

I mean, seriously, there's absolutely no situation I can possibly think of where the truck isn't 100% in the wrong.

Mind you, I saw a dude turn into on-coming traffic just as calm as you could be the other night. I yelled at him to try to get his attention, but he just wasn't having it. At least he didn't also ignore the traffic lights.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PT6A posted:

What the gently caress was that guy even doing? Speeding down the oncoming traffic lane? The only person I hope died in that collision is the dumb gently caress who was driving the truck, and I hope he bled out through his crushed testicles just so he was adequately punished for that.

I mean, seriously, there's absolutely no situation I can possibly think of where the truck isn't 100% in the wrong.

Mind you, I saw a dude turn into on-coming traffic just as calm as you could be the other night. I yelled at him to try to get his attention, but he just wasn't having it. At least he didn't also ignore the traffic lights.

Could be anything from a stroke or seizure to an intentional suicide judging by the fact it doesn't look like they ever braked.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Bovril Delight posted:

...an intentional suicide judging by the fact it doesn't look like they ever braked.

Some people choose to inhale a bottle of Codine, others choose to hammer down and turn a 3.5 ton truck into a KKV to whatever unlucky sonsofbitches happen to be in their way.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

He was 81, and he had the hammer down long before that, and hit two cars before that footage. Look that poo poo up, apparently they've yet to figure out why he did it but he was allegedly slumped over the wheel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

N is for Nipples posted:

He was 81, and he had the hammer down long before that, and hit two cars before that footage. Look that poo poo up, apparently they've yet to figure out why he did it but he was allegedly slumped over the wheel.

Eh, well then, never mind. I've seen people come towards me like that, barely miss me, and then wave like "oopsie, guess I screwed up!" so maybe I'm a little biased.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

PT6A posted:

"3 dead, 11 injured"

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wrecks like that are frightening, as no matter how good you are as a driver, no matter how much you are paying attention, there is exactly jack poo poo you could do to avoid it if you are the poor bastard sitting in that car at the light.

Edit: The 81 year old guy was one of the fatalities. The other two (so far, two are critical) were in that first car he hit - 86 and 48 year old nuns.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 24, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Some people choose to inhale a bottle of Codine, others choose to hammer down and turn a 3.5 ton truck into a KKV to whatever unlucky sonsofbitches happen to be in their way.

I've had a couple of those claims :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

B4Ctom1 posted:

"3 dead, 11 injured"

I know more people died; the only one I hope died was the guy who caused it. And given that it was an 81-year-old with a medical problem, I only hope that if he knew he was at elevated risk for something like that to happen and chose to drive a big-rear end truck anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yet another reason we should probably tell AARP to gently caress themselves and start requiring people to pass medical every few years once they get old if they want to keep driving. Seriously.

Yes, I know there are problems with this, like, how they're supposed to get anywhere. That's second to having old people who don't even realize they're driving a car not mowing down farmers markets and oncoming traffic.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

And here we run into this classic feedback loop.

Hurf durf why spend our tax dollars on public transportation, everyone has cars. No you can't force us to be tested after a certain age, how will we get around without cars if we fail? Public transportation sucks. And repeat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

Yes, I know there are problems with this, like, how they're supposed to get anywhere.

Public service, teenagers have to spend 6 months playing taxi driver for old folks before they can get a permanent license. :v:

Old person yells at the kid for bad driving habits, everyone benefits, right?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

xzzy posted:

Public service, teenagers have to spend 6 months playing taxi driver for old folks before they can get a permanent license. :v:

If I had a crotchety, demented old person screaming and frothing at the mouth whenever I made the slightest mistake at driving, I would be a much better driver today.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

In Scotland, old folks get a bus pass that allows them free travel anywhere in the country. I like the teenager community service angle also.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

The amount of teenagers with an interest in driving is falling dramatically, while the number of old people is ever increasing. There are more seniors than there are tenagers in the US. Much like social security, there's no way the youth could carry the burden required of them.

In the US in 1983, 80% of 18 year olds had a drivers license, by 2008 it was 70%, by 2012 it was 61%, and the most recent statistics put it at about 54%. That's about 10 million teenager drivers to 11 million people over 80.

At this rate, in 20 years it's going to be nothing BUT old people on the road.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Powershift posted:

The amount of teenagers with an interest in driving is falling dramatically, while the number of old people is ever increasing. There are more seniors than there are tenagers in the US. Much like social security, there's no way the youth could carry the burden required of them.

In the US in 1983, 80% of 18 year olds had a drivers license, by 2008 it was 70%, by 2012 it was 61%, and the most recent statistics put it at about 54%. That's about 10 million teenager drivers to 11 million people over 80.

How the hell are they not interested in driving?! Driving is the most fun thing I can do other than sex! It's rapidly replacing video games for me!

I do have a number of horror stories about driving in Norfolk, though.

Norfolk is a wide and diverse community bringing together many people from all over the nation with different driving experience and regional expertise thereof.

As a result, you get everyone trying to drive like they're in their hometown all at once, which results in loving pandemonium. I thought Chicago driving was bad until I went to Norfolk. Holy poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
In the Seattle (king county area) we have small buses that are specifically purposed for disabled persons to schedule times to be picked up at their houses and transported to/from doctor visits, grocery stores, visit their spouses, or wherever they want to go.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/accessible/programs/access.html

I guess it doesn't help those who aren't disabled but its pretty great.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sperglord Firecock posted:

How the hell are they not interested in driving?! Driving is the most fun thing I can do other than sex! It's rapidly replacing video games for me!

Driving is very expensive. Old people still hold all of the jobs as well.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

E: nevermind, we don't need this derail.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bajaha posted:

No you can't force us to be tested after a certain age

Solution: everyone gets retested every 5 years. There are plenty of drivers who would benefit from periodic refresher courses who aren't in the "I couldn't tell the difference between the brake and gas pedals when I ran my car into a crowd" :corsair: category.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Powershift posted:

Where did your numbers come from?

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformation/pubs/hf/pl11028/chapter4.cfm

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

a primate posted:

In Scotland, old folks get a bus pass that allows them free travel anywhere in the country. I like the teenager community service angle also.
In America, this is called communism.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

If I had a crotchety, demented old person screaming and frothing at the mouth whenever I made the slightest mistake at driving, I would be a much better driver today.
No, whenever they decided you made a mistake. You feel that shudder down your spine?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

InitialDave posted:

No, whenever they decided you made a mistake. You feel that shudder down your spine?

"You're backing up. Why didn't you turn on your emergency blinkers?"

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

atomicthumbs posted:

"You're backing up. Why didn't you turn on your emergency blinkers? rev it up to 4k RPM to reverse out of a parking space?"

People look at me like I'm a crazy person when I take a longer route back to the car to avoid idiots, but I don't want to be turned into people pâté when granny's foot slips off the clutch.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Geoj posted:

Solution: everyone gets retested every 5 years. There are plenty of drivers who would benefit from periodic refresher courses who aren't in the "I couldn't tell the difference between the brake and gas pedals when I ran my car into a crowd" :corsair: category.

I'm down with this. I know I've picked up some bad habits, every once in a while I catch myself doing something that would have resulted in an instant fail on the driver's test I took 20 years ago. Mostly going 31km/h in a playground zone; anything over 30 on the test (and the test always went through at least one zone) was "Welp, you're done. Drive back to the office. When would you like to reschedule?". There's probably lots of other stuff that would get me angry glares from a tester or police officer and like the rest of you, I know there are plenty of worse drivers out there.

If I'd had an angry oldie (and I'll note here that even if there are more seniors than driving teenagers, almost all cars have multiple passenger seats) in my car when I was 16 I would have snapped and parked extra-hard on my way in to pick him up. You know, hard enough to knock chunks out of the masonry on the front of the building.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This report based on this study coupled with This article for the most recent numbers.

Driving is expensive and risky. With the internet, you don't need to travel at all for more niche items, and it's far easier to get a house near your job, or a job near your house. Back in the olden days, like 1980, there could have been only 2 or 3 computer stores in your city, so if you wanted a computer you would have to drive across the city to order one, then go back a week later to pick it up. Now you can hop on your phone and buy whatever wherever whenever and get sent to your door the next day.

And really, if somebody doesn't want to be driving, i don't want them on the road beside me. It really works out for everybody.

Your link says 5% of licensed drivers are under 20(obviously rounded), there are 210 million licensed drivers, meaning there are 10.5 million drivers under 20. The US census says there are 21.239 million americans between 15 and 19 years old. that means by the numbers given only 49.4 percent are licensed. Why did you question my numbers and provide an alternate link like you thought i was wrong. :goonsay:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 25, 2014

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Your post just reminded me of an email forward with numbers pulled out of the air. Thanks for the links. It's surprising to me. But it makes sense in hindsight; I didn't get my license until 17 and I didn't own a car until 24, for many of the reasons in your sources.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powershift posted:

it's far easier to get a house near your job, or a job near your house.

Hahaha. Nope.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cakefool posted:

Hahaha. Nope.

As a privileged, college educated millennial who works in the tech sector, it owns bones living close to work. My quality of life went considerably down when I had a >30 minute drive to work.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Safety Dance posted:

As a privileged, college educated millennial who works in the tech sector, it owns bones living close to work. My quality of life went considerably down when I had a >30 minute drive to work.

+1. I doubled my commute time for an increase in pay and I just spend extra hours in the car each week regretting it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I work from home, and most of my meetings are within a 15 minute walk and/or a 10 minute drive. I love driving, but I also really love never being forced to drive.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I only drive for fun or for short-range errands about once a week (groceries, etc.). Not relying on a car to get me to work saves a bunch of stress because I don't have to worry about work if the car is in the shop or has some worrying issue that might strand me. I can just not drive until that issue is solved, or gamble on something bad happening in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday Drive that will lead to me waiting for an hour or two for a tow truck. That's a completely different stress level than breaking down on the way to work, or being late for work because I had to find another way.

That separation of responsibility from driving means I can just enjoy driving, so naturally I feel baffled when people talk about hating driving. But they mostly hate driving to work, which I can totally understand. Even in an underpopulated podunk town like here, traffic is annoying.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Hahaha. Nope.

Compared to scouring newspapers or job boards for a job?

If you are a machinist, and there are 30 open machinists jobs in your city, in 1980 you were exposed to maybe 15-20, and that's if you bought all local newspapers every day. In 2014 you're exposed to 28, if not 30. Same with available apartments/houses.

Being in a profession that draws you to a city center, while still wanting to own a house, you'll still have trouble. That's really on you thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

Being in a profession that draws you to a city center, while still wanting to own a house, you'll still have trouble. That's really on you thought.

If only they actually taught that to us as kids.

Back then it was all "do whatever you want! follow your dreams, if you work hard you can accomplish anything!"

Not once did any adult, teacher or otherwise bring up the issue of cost of living, the daily commute, or quality of life. Granted a kid may not really listen because without a frame of reference they won't understand what all of that really means, but some of it would have sunk in and maybe they'd go into their adult life a little more prepared for what things are like.