Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm gonna get Amiibos because I love Nintendo and I love their characters and these are a bunch of neat little affordable figures of cool characters. They're all part of the same set too so they're all going to match up on size, their bases are going to match, etc. All of the in-game content is just a bonus for me. Their cool because they tap into the market of people who would collect figurines but can't afford the big & fancy ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Electromax posted:

The DLC comparison only really works if Activision released a DLC key that unlocked a gun in CoD and a song in Rock Band and a new outfit in Destiny or something. It's an ugly rollout early on (Nintendo is great at those) but over time they hopefully still offer some value beyond whatever DLC you're comparing it to for Smash alone.

The problem is that it literally is just DLC being sold in the form of a figure. Smash is the only game so far that actually uses the amiibos as what they're being advertised as; a figure that comes alive in a game. Every other game that "amiibos work with" literally just unlocks some content that would have been DLC otherwise and then is never used again (a weapon in Hyrule Warriors and costumes in MK8). We don't know how they're going to work with future games, but among them Animal Crossing U is the only one I can think of that could use them in some meaningful way. Having Wii Fit Trainer or Ness move into your Animal Crossing town would be awesome, but it could also just as easily unlock a piece of furniture that looks like the figure and that's it. There's no way Captain Toad or Yoshi's Wooly World are going to use amiibos as anything other than a content unlock.

Nintendo is advertising, modeling, and pricing these figures to compete with Skylanders/Disney Infinity, and that is leading people to assume (incorrectly) that Nintendo games are going to feature that kind of "living figurine" gameplay, when they don't and aren't going to in the future. If Nintendo released a beat-em-up in that style and the figures were used for that, it would be one thing, but as it stands now amiibos only exist to take advantage of that temporary market, and nothing on the horizon looks like it's going to change that.

Begby posted:

My kids have skylanders and want more, they want that stupid inifinity poo poo after seeing the store display. I got them each an amiibo, they expressly told me they do not want more of them, thats how lame they are. Nintendo totally failed to capitalize on this stupid fad.

I think with skylanders the functionality is not an afterthought, thats why those are more successful.

Bingo. It sounds like your kids understand the value of that style of gameplay, and that's great, but it also sounds like you put in your research into how these things work and whether or not they are worth the investment. Most parents aren't like that unfortunately, and there is going to be a wave of angry parents on December 26th who are trying to return amiibos because they thought it would let their kid put Mario in Skylanders.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Ok I am apparently a 'confirmed lagger' and game ruiner. How can I make it so I dont lag other people's games?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Naerasa posted:

Ok I am apparently a 'confirmed lagger' and game ruiner. How can I make it so I dont lag other people's games?

Don't use Time Warner

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I think that everyone griping about Amiibos in smash is forgetting that you and your friends can have Amiibo Pit Fights.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pit isn't out yet.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

The problem is that it literally is just DLC being sold in the form of a figure. Smash is the only game so far that actually uses the amiibos as what they're being advertised as; a figure that comes alive in a game. Every other game that "amiibos work with" literally just unlocks some content that would have been DLC otherwise and then is never used again (a weapon in Hyrule Warriors and costumes in MK8). We don't know how they're going to work with future games, but among them Animal Crossing U is the only one I can think of that could use them in some meaningful way. Having Wii Fit Trainer or Ness move into your Animal Crossing town would be awesome, but it could also just as easily unlock a piece of furniture that looks like the figure and that's it. There's no way Captain Toad or Yoshi's Wooly World are going to use amiibos as anything other than a content unlock.

Nintendo is advertising, modeling, and pricing these figures to compete with Skylanders/Disney Infinity, and that is leading people to assume (incorrectly) that Nintendo games are going to feature that kind of "living figurine" gameplay, when they don't and aren't going to in the future. If Nintendo released a beat-em-up in that style and the figures were used for that, it would be one thing, but as it stands now amiibos only exist to take advantage of that temporary market, and nothing on the horizon looks like it's going to change that.

I don't disagree with any of that, I was just pointing out that there'd be a market for these things even if there was NO DLC/video game integration whatsoever. But the fact that there IS integration seems to make some people more mad than if there wasn't any at all. I get your Skylanders comparisons, but if Nintendo just released $12 statues of Smash characters at TRU unannounced, you probably wouldn't be complaining that you can't scan the statues into Smash bros or whatever.

I just think that feels odd. The fact that you CAN scan them in is irritating people because they don't do ENOUGH, when people buy similar stuff that do nothing all the time. Perhaps some of that is people not wanting the figures but wanting the content, and without an alternative means to unlock it for free (though so far there's nothing worth unlocking anyway) they feel ripped off.

I want the Luigi amiibo but I'm honestly not even interested to use it for any of the stuff they announced yet. I just like the pose and would probably put it on my alarm clock or whatever.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I bought an amiibo, and put it on my desk. It's a lot of fun

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If it helps make you less mad at them, think of them as toys with a bonus feature attached, not features you have to buy a toy to use. Your game is perfectly functional without the Amiibos.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Electromax posted:

I don't disagree with any of that, I was just pointing out that there'd be a market for these things even if there was NO DLC/video game integration whatsoever. But the fact that there IS integration seems to make some people more mad than if there wasn't any at all. I get your Skylanders comparisons, but if Nintendo just released $12 statues of Smash characters at TRU unannounced, you probably wouldn't be complaining that you can't scan the statues into Smash bros or whatever.

I just think that feels odd. The fact that you CAN scan them in is irritating people because they don't do ENOUGH, when people buy similar stuff that do nothing all the time. Perhaps some of that is people not wanting the figures but wanting the content, and without an alternative means to unlock it for free (though so far there's nothing worth unlocking anyway) they feel ripped off.

I want the Luigi amiibo but I'm honestly not even interested to use it for any of the stuff they announced yet. I just like the pose and would probably put it on my alarm clock or whatever.

Well, the fact that you can scan them in and they do stuff is kind of why I bought the loving thing. If there was no integration whatsoever with any games, I would have looked at it, said "huh, those look cool," and not bought them, $13 or otherwise. So yeah, I am more annoyed at a poor implementation than I would be if there were no implementation whatsoever, just like I was annoyed when Metroid Prime 2 and Bioshock 2 had really lovely deathmatch modes in them, or when the $30 prix fixe at the corner restaurant includes a lovely overdone creme brulee.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

greatn posted:

Pit isn't out yet.

All I know is that I and my friend both, completley seperately, bought Peach, put her in the Daisy outfit, and named her HiImDaisy, and now they are FIGHTING TO THE DEATH.

Make your underground fighting ring mean something, reset the losers to level 1.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the problem you're having with Amiibo's is you have to use the same character that you're trying to teach them about otherwise they act like loving idiots. I tried training my villager using dedede and now he's trying to forward smash all the time. If yours isn't doing sick combos it's because you didn't do any.

Seriously mine can do a Mario down throw with all the up tilts and air up a's to me and will fling itself off a cliff to meteor smash me at all times.

:lol: if you think 9 AI was gimped to.

Edit: Also they don't have the little level up jingle anymore but they do keep learning past level 50.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Electromax posted:

Perhaps some of that is people not wanting the figures but wanting the content, and without an alternative means to unlock it for free (though so far there's nothing worth unlocking anyway) they feel ripped off.

It's exactly this. Nintendo advertised them to be more than they are. If they were just $13 figures no one would complain about them sure, but no one would buy them either. Amiibos have gotten a ton of advertisement and press from Nintendo and other sources, and now people are disappointed with the final product because they don't live up to the hype. They are shoddily constructed, significantly worse looking than advertised, and don't do much of anything in any game that isn't Smash, even though they are being advertised right along side it.

Honestly people would be less mad if they were advertised as just a Smash thing, because then people would know exactly what they were getting, but Nintendo keeps pushing this idea of them "working in different games in different ways", but they don't, they just unlock stuff.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

Electromax posted:

Yeah, and if they released figures that didn't do anything I wouldn't have complained and I wouldn't have purchased them. There is a market for that, but its a lot smaller.

I have sat through a lot of skylanders with my kids and it is pretty cool to see them come to life and see them get excited about collecting new ones and using their different abilities and stuff.

I am disappointed because I really wanted these to be cool like that, and thats what I was expecting/hoping, and I think thats what a lot of other people will be expecting as well. I figured I would be putting these under the tree for christmas and that they would be flying off the shelves. I am bummed because I wanted a bunch of mario poo poo floating around the house.

NINTENDO, I WANT TO THROW MONEY AT YOU, BUT YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think the problem you're having with Amiibo's is you have to use the same character that you're trying to teach them about otherwise they act like loving idiots. I tried training my villager using dedede and now he's trying to forward smash all the time. If yours isn't doing sick combos it's because you didn't do any.

Seriously mine can do a Mario down throw with all the up tilts and air up a's to me and will fling itself off a cliff to meteor smash me at all times.

Edit: Also they don't have the little level up jingle anymore but they do keep learning past level 50.

Nintendo is keeping my difficulty settings hostage

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Imagine if something like League of Legends got into this market.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I can't kiss dlc yet here I am with Peach.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I won't defend the quality on some of these tho. Villager's eyes are way too drat big and apparently every single Marth Amiibo is hot garbage.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Samus looks pretty good. I wish I had one of those factory defects where Samus has two arm cannons, though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

If it helps make you less mad at them, think of them as toys with a bonus feature attached, not features you have to buy a toy to use. Your game is perfectly functional without the Amiibos.

Yeah I mean if this remains true I can't really get mad at their existence. Like they're there if you want cool little Nintendo statues and that's great and hey maybe they do A Thing in a game.

I mean maybe later they'll make a few games that really focus heavily on the usage of the little things a-la Skylanders or something and hey that'll be fine too as long as whatever they do in other games is some kind of little harmless bonus thing.

RyokoTK posted:

Samus looks pretty good. I wish I had one of those factory defects where Samus has two arm cannons, though.

I want this, but in a game.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I won't defend the quality on some of these tho. Villager's eyes are way too drat big and apparently every single Marth Amiibo is hot garbage.

"Wh...why don't you say that to my face!" - Murth

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If Nintendo is smart (it varies) they're working on a flagship Amiibo title that functions akin to Skylanders and maximizes each Amiibo as a playable in an otherwise broad game and they just haven't announced it yet. Perhaps a Disney Infinity or Lego style game.

Bonus points if the game is otherwise F2P and appeals to gamers above age 12, but I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps Smash is just growing pains for an immature product with a brighter future... or maybe Nintendo doesn't know WTF outside of making the games themselves.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so I was going to buy this, but it sounds like every place is sold out of GCN adapters

:smith:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait, so do the amiibos NOT play any better than lvl9 CPUs? Do they just get buffed stats or what?

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Games posters would still find ways to get bizarrely angry about them and post about it, haha...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Eonwe posted:

so I was going to buy this, but it sounds like every place is sold out of GCN adapters

The Pro Controller really works fine, if you have one of those. It's not like in Brawl where the GCN controller was the only good option.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Eonwe posted:

I bought it and I have friends who literally refuse to play until we get the adapter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Ninth Layer posted:

I bought it and I have friends who literally refuse to play until we get the adapter.

Sounds like you should have bought the adapter.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

The Pro Controller really works fine, if you have one of those. It's not like in Brawl where the GCN controller was the only good option.

I do! I forgot I had one of those. So there isn't anything that just feels 'weird' about using the pro controller in smash?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A cool drat horse posted:

I think Games posters would still find ways to get bizarrely angry about them and post about it, haha...

"What, so the figurine unlocks something extra? drat it Nintendo you're keeping stuff locked from me unless I get your mandatory poo poo figurines! Oh wait you say the don't really unlock anything exclusive? They are worthless, loving Nintendooooo!"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Eonwe posted:

I do! I forgot I had one of those. So there isn't anything that just feels 'weird' about using the pro controller in smash?

You'll want to use custom controls to map shielding to the triggers, but other than that it's perfectly fine.

People are really weird about neeeeeeding a big green A button for this game.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Eonwe posted:

On 3DS as well as WiiU I've remapped special to Y and jump to B because I just can't jump with Y on a normal gamepad. With a GCN controller it's fine but I just can't do it here.

And then I forget to change my profile all the goddamned time and have to jump with Y anyway.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Eonwe posted:

It actually feels better imo. People just cling to the GC controller because it's familiar to them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The stick feels really weird to me on the pro controller. It feels too tall or too big, I don't know if I just got used to circle pads but the stick feels very squishy and uncomfortable. The stick is basically 100% my problem with the WiiU pro controller, everything else is fine barring the unfortunate c-stick placement.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Can you use the right stick as a c-stick?!

Dios mio

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sockser posted:

Can you use the right stick as a c-stick?!

Dios mio

Yes. I kinda like it more than a GameCube C-Stick because it's closer to my palm and I don't have to move my thumb as far, but that's just me.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Pro Controller has more and better triggers than the Gamecube controller, so if you really wanna get advanced, you can map a couple of them to Jump and Special. That way, you can still access those functions even with your thumb on the right stick.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't remember if you could do it in Brawl but this time around the C-stick lets you charge up smashes too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just throwing this out there

But

We should probably have a tournament for this thing or something???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Everyone I know calls the right stick a C-stick if they're playing Smash.

The nipple contour of the C-stick is easier to flick than a regular stick, so that's slightly more comfortable.

I hate the layout of the gamepad/pro controller though. It's like the 360 controller, but bad. I'll stick to classic controller pro for Wii U games.

• Locked thread