Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Looking at round trip from Louisville to Seattle from April 3-12 .. seems that ~450 is best bet right now according to flight matrix. Does this seem reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Kudaros posted:

Looking at round trip from Louisville to Seattle from April 3-12 .. seems that ~450 is best bet right now according to flight matrix. Does this seem reasonable?

I imagine that will drop a bit. Prices are high right now because of the holidays; start watching it and see if it drops early in 2015.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mackieman posted:

I imagine that will drop a bit. Prices are high right now because of the holidays; start watching it and see if it drops early in 2015.

I'm assuming that I should do the same thing? I'm looking to fly from Chicago to Washington DC on Friday July 3 and return on Monday July 6. I could possibly fly in a day earlier, although it seems that room rates are really high for Thursday and then drop on the weekend which I was a bit surprised at since it's the holiday weekend. I'd also prefer to fly in early on the 3rd, but leave later in the day on the 6th to give myself a little extra time in town.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TMMadman posted:

I'm assuming that I should do the same thing? I'm looking to fly from Chicago to Washington DC on Friday July 3 and return on Monday July 6. I could possibly fly in a day earlier, although it seems that room rates are really high for Thursday and then drop on the weekend which I was a bit surprised at since it's the holiday weekend. I'd also prefer to fly in early on the 3rd, but leave later in the day on the 6th to give myself a little extra time in town.

Yep, you've got plenty of time. And hotel rates in DC are often insane so jump on low rates when you find them.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mackieman posted:

Yep, you've got plenty of time. And hotel rates in DC are often insane so jump on low rates when you find them.

Yeah no kidding they are nuts. I've got a cheap room booked just over the Potomac right now, but I'm going to keep looking for something actually in DC. I'm also considering just doing an AirBnB because I saw some in areas I'd like to stay for good prices.

Good to know about the airfare though and I'll be sure to keep looking.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TMMadman posted:

Yeah no kidding they are nuts. I've got a cheap room booked just over the Potomac right now, but I'm going to keep looking for something actually in DC. I'm also considering just doing an AirBnB because I saw some in areas I'd like to stay for good prices.

Good to know about the airfare though and I'll be sure to keep looking.

I rely on my menagerie of corporate rate codes to help out in cases like that. Being a former employee of IBM and still having business cards helps tremendously.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If Metro access is important, check out Arlington along the Orange Line (and maybe even the Silver line too now), particularly the Highlander Motel.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
I am looking at prices for a round trip from chicago to san diego with kayak. The last two flights I tried to book it sends me to Orbit to make the booking, then after I enter in all of my information the page just says sorry that price is no longer available, its actually $100+ more than what we just showed you. Then I go back to kayak and orbits and it shows the same tickets at the same price? Is there some voodoo magic that I need to know to get it to show me the correct ticket price the first time or should I just try to buy the tickets straight from the airline site?

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 14, 2014

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Quabzor posted:

I am looking at prices for a round trip from chicago to san diego with kayak. The last two flights I tried to book it sends me to Orbit to make the booking, then after I enter in all of my information the page just says sorry that price is no longer available, its actually $100+ more than what we just showed you. Then I go back to kayak and orbits and it shows the same tickets at the same price? Is there some voodoo magic that I need to know to get it to show me the correct ticket price the first time or should I just try to buy the tickets straight from the airline site?

If at all possible I would book through the airline's website. I have had too many friends get hosed by kayak, etc. with extra charges and duplicate charges that have ended in cancelled tickets. Plus in the event your flight cancels you'll be a higher priority to the airline than third party tickets.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I almost always book directly through the airline now. Rarely do I find anywhere cheaper and there's less chance for runaround in case of a problem.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Origin: Boston
Destination: Dublin
Duration of trip with dates: april 19th to April 26
Flexibility: Flexible with the times but no the dates, though I assume since its international its gonna be a red eye

We've been peeping flights for this date for 3 months now, trying to get cheap tickets for our honeymoon. For some unknown reason, prices in april to ireland are 943, but prices from now to march are 200-300$ cheaper. Its been that way for months, and we were hoping it would drop soon. Idk did we miss the sweet booking spot or something?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Flexibility: Flexible with the times but no the dates, though I assume since its international its gonna be a red eye

We've been peeping flights for this date for 3 months now, trying to get cheap tickets for our honeymoon. For some unknown reason, prices in april to ireland are 943, but prices from now to march are 200-300$ cheaper. Its been that way for months, and we were hoping it would drop soon. Idk did we miss the sweet booking spot or something?

It seems like weekend departures are quite expensive. Even moving both dates 1 day forward saves $170+. It's also quite far until your flights so it probably makes sense to keep waiting, see if things become cheaper after Thanksgiving or Xmas, but there's an element of risk to that (as always).

Alternatively, you could save like $60 by repositioning to JFK for $120 RT with B6 (flights available all day long) and then flying DL+AF to DUB for $750 RT, but it's probably not worth the trouble.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Geriatric Pirate posted:

It seems like weekend departures are quite expensive. Even moving both dates 1 day forward saves $170+. It's also quite far until your flights so it probably makes sense to keep waiting, see if things become cheaper after Thanksgiving or Xmas, but there's an element of risk to that (as always).

Alternatively, you could save like $60 by repositioning to JFK for $120 RT with B6 (flights available all day long) and then flying DL+AF to DUB for $750 RT, but it's probably not worth the trouble.

yeah JFK is really not really reasonable to get to. The savings arent probably worth the hassle.

I guess Ill keep waiting :smith:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

I rely on my menagerie of corporate rate codes to help out in cases like that. Being a former employee of IBM and still having business cards helps tremendously.

This is one of the last great tricks left. I can occasionally get insane rates this way.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
I'm going to be flying from NYC to Austin for a wedding the first week of April. Is it better to try and find tix now, or after the holidays? What's the smart time for lower fares?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

E-Money posted:

I'm going to be flying from NYC to Austin for a wedding the first week of April. Is it better to try and find tix now, or after the holidays? What's the smart time for lower fares?

I'd start watching now with the intent of buying shortly after the holidays. It's unlikely to drop by any significant amount but there are times when you can get EWR-AUS round trip for $240 or so on United.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I might fly San Francisco, CA to San Jose, Costa Rica next year. Any tips on layovers in Phoenix/Dallas/Houston/Mexico/El Salvador? If I have more than 4 daytime hours I'll probably take my 4-year-old out into the city, but where can I leave my bags?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

peanut posted:

I might fly San Francisco, CA to San Jose, Costa Rica next year. Any tips on layovers in Phoenix/Dallas/Houston/Mexico/El Salvador? If I have more than 4 daytime hours I'll probably take my 4-year-old out into the city, but where can I leave my bags?

Four hours isn't enough to go with a child into a city, do anything, and get back in time for your international connection. Unless one of those cities happens to have the airport be right downtown, which I have never, ever experienced. Unless you have 6+ hours just hang out in the airport like everyone else, buy a lounge pass if you don't want to hang out with the unwashed masses. You'll feel like an idiot if you go out, spend an hour in a restaurant, get into a traffic jam and miss your connecting flight.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Only a fool connects in Phoenix.

Book a shorter layover and spend more time in the destination.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Excellent advice thx thread

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Mackieman posted:

I'd start watching now with the intent of buying shortly after the holidays. It's unlikely to drop by any significant amount but there are times when you can get EWR-AUS round trip for $240 or so on United.

Does the same applies for international flights? I'm looking at doing GRR-SCL again in mid May until mid August. I'm tracking it already and the price is set on 1560.
Maybe I'm too paranoid and this is too soon..

Btw, I love reading this thread. Is so interesting and full of great advice

Also, kinda unrelated: thoughts on passenger shaming?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wth is passenger shaming

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

it's been all over the news lately https://instagram.com/passengershaming

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Instagram isn't news, but those assholes earned it. The flight attendants need to be very careful about direct photos, or even phone use while on shift.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Souvlaki ss posted:

Does the same applies for international flights? I'm looking at doing GRR-SCL again in mid May until mid August. I'm tracking it already and the price is set on 1560.
Maybe I'm too paranoid and this is too soon..

Btw, I love reading this thread. Is so interesting and full of great advice

Also, kinda unrelated: thoughts on passenger shaming?

International fares operate with the same basic rules but on a completely different scale than the domestic US market. Most of the time there is limited service so the price doesn't fluctuate as much, but as always, your mileage will vary. That said, SCL and most other locations in South America see $1500 coach fares pretty regularly, so you may see that go down to $1100 or so but one never knows. Also, GRR is a tiny airport and there may be significant cost savings in pricing out of DTW or ORD. You can at least check those two cities for fares and then compare adding in the GRR segment or booking it separately. When dealing with smaller regional airports and international coach fares, it's possible that a significant portion of the fare is that short hop where there is little or no competition. Something to check into on the fare rules on ITA when you do a search.

That said, glad you like the thread. :) I have several friends who write travel blogs, some of them very prominent ones, and I've often talked of starting a blog called, "Don't Travel Like That" but it would be funny for about ten minutes and then digress into me explaining how most of the traveling public are idiots. That instagram site is pretty close, but yeah, I hope no one has their photos geotagged or anything.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 30, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So i waited a bit:

The flights are still $943. Should I just bite the bullet and get tickets? I don't know if these are every going to drop.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

peanut posted:

Instagram isn't news, but those assholes earned it. The flight attendants need to be very careful about direct photos, or even phone use while on shift.

Instagram might not be news, but it is when regular people start taking pictures and posting them online. There are tons of photos around, and most of them don't even blur the faces. it's definitely becoming a thing

Mackieman posted:

International fares operate with the same basic rules but on a completely different scale than the domestic US market. Most of the time there is limited service so the price doesn't fluctuate as much, but as always, your mileage will vary. That said, SCL and most other locations in South America see $1500 coach fares pretty regularly, so you may see that go down to $1100 or so but one never knows. Also, GRR is a tiny airport and there may be significant cost savings in pricing out of DTW or ORD. You can at least check those two cities for fares and then compare adding in the GRR segment or booking it separately. When dealing with smaller regional airports and international coach fares, it's possible that a significant portion of the fare is that short hop where there is little or no competition. Something to check into on the fare rules on ITA when you do a search.

I found a crazy cheap flight on Copa for $475 (IAD-SCL), so beside that I bought one from DTW to IAD leaving enough time between them, and everything is for under $850.
The only bad thing is that I have to pay for my bags with Delta and I didn't know that until after I bought the tickets. Whatever, I'm pretty much celebrating anyway :yayclod:

Souvlaki ss fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 2, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

So i waited a bit:

The flights are still $943. Should I just bite the bullet and get tickets? I don't know if these are every going to drop.

I'd still wait until after the holidays at a minimum.

Powerthirst
Jun 4, 2009
I'm going to Japan next year and I would like to use points instead of paying $1800+ for a ticket if I can. I looked at some of the better known sites and that is the avg price I have found so far.

Origin (Huntsville AL "HSV") I have no problem going to one of the airports around me if it saves me a ton of money.
Destination (Japan) We are going to Tokyo but if flying to a different city is cheaper then so be it.
Duration of trip with dates (Right now we are thinking about leaving on May 22 and coming back on May 31)
Flexibility (This can be moved around the whole month of May as long as I'm not off for more than 5 workdays. I have no issues with flight times or stops)

I found Delta rewards from HSV are 110k and United has round trip for 70k. I basically understand how points work with same carrier but using them on partner airlines is still new to me.

I do have some points saved up that I can use.
85k Delta miles
55k UR points

I just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas that might help me out in my quest to get really good sushi.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You don't need to go to Japan for great sushi.

That being said why not fly direct out of ATL? You have enough miles, depending on availability, for one round trip ticket.

Powerthirst
Jun 4, 2009
I couldn't get anything lower than 100k delta miles the last time I looked but after you said something I found one for 70k that might work for me.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

FYI I noticed some absurdly good January airfare today, mostly out of JFK. (All one way) JFK-Oslo $131, JFK-Copenhagen $150, (Not that I would want to go to either in January, but that is cheap as poo poo for getting to Europe and then popping wherever) JFK-Nassau $117, JFK-Cartagena $178, JFK-Moscow $239, JFK-Beijing $267. Boston has some good prices too, as does Fort Lauderdale. A lot of tempting stuff..

http://www.skyscanner.com/transport/flights-from/jfk/january-2015/cheapest-flights-from-new-york-john-f.-kennedy-in-january-2015.html?rtn=0

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So it's almost January and flights are now 942. Keep waiting or are these just gonna be the prices?

E: Welp gently caress prices are going up, Im gonna book now.

E2: I checked again this morning and the flights are back to 943 :psyduck:

E3: Welp back up again. Yeah I guess I should just book now.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 29, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

So it's almost January and flights are now 942. Keep waiting or are these just gonna be the prices?

E: Welp gently caress prices are going up, Im gonna book now.

E2: I checked again this morning and the flights are back to 943 :psyduck:

E3: Welp back up again. Yeah I guess I should just book now.

Other than the mistake fares that have happened in the last week, I haven't seen lower fares off the east cost for large sections of Europe.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

What are the thoughts on this: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-18/united-orbitz-sue-travel-site-over-hidden-city-ticketing-1-.html

Has Hidden City Ticketing ever saved anyone money, any experiences?

Church Ladyboy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 30, 2014

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Jossos posted:

What are the thoughts on this: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-18/united-orbitz-sue-travel-site-over-hidden-city-ticketing-1-.html

Has Hidden City Ticketing ever saved anyone money, any experiences?

Never really tried skiplagged or hidden city ticketing, since I always end up checking my luggage. Now they're just calling attention to the whole thing and more people might look into it. The airlines should just fix their own rules on the fare pricing instead of blaming it on someone else for their losses.

Mackieman posted:

Other than the mistake fares that have happened in the last week, I haven't seen lower fares off the east cost for large sections of Europe.

I'm wishing for a non-gulf carrier mistake fare from US to somewhere, because I've been to the UAE way too much in 2014.

I was in Dublin in November for a day or so, and December for a couple days. The weather was dreary and rainy the entire time. Apparently the weather is the best in April and May, according to the two locals that I talked to. Maybe that's why it is some sort of sweet spot?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

fuseshock posted:

Never really tried skiplagged or hidden city ticketing, since I always end up checking my luggage. Now they're just calling attention to the whole thing and more people might look into it. The airlines should just fix their own rules on the fare pricing instead of blaming it on someone else for their losses.

I was in Dublin in November for a day or so, and December for a couple days. The weather was dreary and rainy the entire time. Apparently the weather is the best in April and May, according to the two locals that I talked to. Maybe that's why it is some sort of sweet spot?

Hidden city ticketing and throw away ticketing aren't new or novel, this dude just made the decidedly dick move of trying to publize it. The cocks at Airfare Watchdog did the same thing a couple of years ago with fuel dumping which resulted in the airlines getting wise to it and almost universally removing it by either not calling it YQ anymore (which was specious in the first place as that fee hasn't been about fuel for a long time) or simply bundling it into the airfare. There's lots of tricks and tips that don't get posted publicly for this very reason. In this case, there's not much the airline can do about people buying tickets this way except automate process via analytics to determine where it's happening most often and punish those customers abusing the system. I've done it on occasion, but I don't make a habit of it, and I think that's sound advice for pretty much anything related to fares and loopholes in airline policies: pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

In other news, the weather in Ireland can be poo poo at any time. You don't go to Ireland for the weather; you go for the Dublin Coddle at the Hairy Lemon pub and to nearly die while driving on their A roads.

Dire for Hire
May 13, 2013
Hey guys, here are the details for the trip that I'm planning.

• Leaving out of either BWI (Baltimore) or either DC airport (Reagen, DCA; Dulles, IAD). Have flown once out of Harrisburg (MDT) and definitely would again but it doesn't seem like the best option this time around.
  • Arriving in HNL (Honolulu)
  • The reservations at the place I am staying are from March 14th to March 21st, the last night I am staying there being the 20th.
  • I definitely want to be in Hawaii on the 14th and until the 21st. That means I would rather leave on the 13th and have the travel end up taking all night if that's how it has to be. The leave time can be anytime on the 21st. I also would have no problem with any part of the trip being by boat if it needs to be. Basically I just need to get from East coast near DC and Baltimore to Honolulu for cheap. So if that means it is cheapest to fly to West coast and boat over I am cool with that.

I'm booking travel for two people, so I don't very much know if there are any deals for that kind of situation or not but I figured more information is better than less.

Let me know if I'm missing anything or if anyone has any tips. I've used the flight matrix and found that the cheapest flights right now range from possibly $950-1050. I'm really hoping to figure out a way to get the cost down to $800 or cheaper by just being creative.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You've given a very narrow window of possible flights to choose from. And how do you even see a boat working into this timeline?

There are no deals for booking 2 people.

I would start looking and if you feel it is cheap grab it.

Nothing you can do now but usually for vacation I try to pick a general time and let specific dates within that time to be determined by any airfare deals. Hotel deals are easier and seem to last longer.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire for Hire
May 13, 2013
That'll be the approach I take then. The reservations were already made because a friend has a time share there so I will be able to stay for free.