Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

its a good support plane
Pictured: actual War Thunder support planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I never had any problems with default shells (which more often than not are the best shells, with the second APHEBC round often just a minor upgrade) and reached Era IV tanks with no issue other than skewed queues making the German grind longer and a dearth of goon tankers making it harder to tank with friends :shrug:

Really if anything learning to aim is the biggest challenge (I don't mean this as l2p despite long established thread tradition; learning weakpoints and calculating shell drop by feel takes time), followed by grinding out the two mandatory upgrades (parts, FPE) and avoiding arcade mode if you mistakenly started there for some reason.

That said, my wish list would be for sim spotting in RB, RB spotting in arcade, parts/FPE by default, improved rewards, and more city maps. They got the feel of tanks much better than WoT, they just need to give it a bit more TLC.

tl;dr: l2aim, grind FPE/parts, play tanks with chill bros on mumble. A bunch of us have the premium reserve tanks and find any level of tanks entertaining enough to play with fellow goons.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How are the queue times for RB tanks for you guys? It can take me upwards of 5 minutes to find a game as the Russians.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

How are the queue times for RB tanks for you guys? It can take me upwards of 5 minutes to find a game as the Russians.

What servers are you using? Tanks is still pretty sparse, but if you queue EU and RU as well as US you often get Russian battles in a couple minutes max.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Azran posted:

I have 23 million free RP :stare:

That are only about 3.258 dollars you would have to spend.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

WebDO posted:

I never had any problems with default shells (which more often than not are the best shells, with the second APHEBC round often just a minor upgrade) and reached Era IV tanks with no issue other than skewed queues making the German grind longer and a dearth of goon tankers making it harder to tank with friends :shrug:

You really never had a problem with the T-60, or the T-28's default shells? :shrug: I can play ground forces fine but it's a dull grind on poo poo maps with bad mechanics so I can't be bothered to struggle through it. Like I said, it's not a big deal it's just a sign of Gaijin either not knowing what the hell they're doing or being severely incompetent at the "squeezing money from f2p" business because if that's really their goal they need to step up their game compared to, say, Wargaming.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Remove RP. Leave cash. Every finished match gives you a tank or airplane piece at random. Get all of them and craft the vehicle.

Hire me Gaijin (no, please don't)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think there's a law that f2p games need to have as many different types of "currency" as possible so removing RP wouldn't work.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

Remove RP. Leave cash. Every finished match gives you a tank or airplane piece at random. Get all of them and craft the vehicle.

Hire me Gaijin (no, please don't)

Let me cobble frankenmachines together and you're hired. I'll take a halftrack chassis with a jet engine sticking out the back, a big tank cannon on the front, and the nose of a 410 B6/R3 mounted to a top turret, please.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

You really never had a problem with the T-60, or the T-28's default shells? :shrug: I can play ground forces fine but it's a dull grind on poo poo maps with bad mechanics so I can't be bothered to struggle through it. Like I said, it's not a big deal it's just a sign of Gaijin either not knowing what the hell they're doing or being severely incompetent at the "squeezing money from f2p" business because if that's really their goal they need to step up their game compared to, say, Wargaming.

Yeah dude, shrapnel through a driver slit is a guaranteed one shot at that tier and despite being gigantic the T-28 can move. With the T-60 the trick is to keep pounding HE from the default belt into exhaust ports or the engine until they burn.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/2najht/comparison_of_old_vs_new_premium_cost_via_geusd/

spergs have uncovered evidence that Gaijin did 9/11 or something

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't think ive ever opened and then closed a war thunder link faster than I did that one

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:greenangel:

e: reddit is a support website

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
really glad to have this detailed pricing info for my free-to-play game that is not at all pay-to-win and yet still fun at every level regardless of how much grinding you've done

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Thief posted:

still fun at every level regardless of how much grinding you've done

I am really not sure we've been playing the same game

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

go ram other players until you stop caring about your k:d ratio

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Darwinism posted:

I am really not sure we've been playing the same game

The less grinding you've done the more fun the game is because T2/3 owns

e: like T4 is fun and I guess jets are ok?? I've only ever tried the yak-15 because it is the best jet so i don't need any others. anyway the point is that T2/3 is still the best.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 25, 2014

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
So, got my 3k kg bombs... in my IL-28.

First game, my team absolutely sucked. Whole squad of jets dying to prop planes.

I got to plane kills, would have been more if it wasn't 5 vs 1... but the unique thing.

Got my first kill by bombing a plane in the air. Let them get close, swoop towards the ground... bombs away... shockwave crits the enemy and down he goes. Hilarious and a big big boom.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah wrecking dudes with bombs is never not fun. Long timer, 1000 kg bomb on a Ju-87 and flying up a steep slope with your pursuer not far behind is not very effective but the greatest feeling in the world when it works. Even if I just plop one onto a dude on a runway it still brings joy to my heart. Especially if they just finished repairing and get teleported into the blast wave oh man.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Tanks stuff: BBJoey still has a point about the tank upgrades. FPE and Parts is really dumb and annoying, upgraded shells are stupid, and all the automotive upgrades make no sense - hell I'm not even sure if they do anything.

1. I'd rather have 3 kinds of fire extinguishers - start with 1, upgrade to 2, or upgrade to 1 automatic fire extinguisher that also handles ammo fires.
    2. Make the parts come in 3s as well - start with engine, optics and suspension repair, add gun and turret ring repair, finally add ammo repair (crew throws out percentage of ammo relative to damage ammo rack has sustained, so less likely to POP, but loss of ammo).
    3. Make ammo more like belts, rather than individual upgrades - balanced, breakthrough, tank hunter, etc. Call them loadouts if you have to.
    4. Make HE more useful by increasing spalling and greater damage to armor itself as well as external modules.
    5. Have actual forward tank depots at the spawn so players can return to "repair" crew (and modules) instead of being crippled for life.
    6. Make the maps bigger and a little less focused for fewer dumb clusterfucks.
    7. Add loving thin skinned bots like trucks and armored cars, etc, as well as pillboxes. This kinda goes hand in hand with making bigger maps, along with making HE useful. This also means uptiered or stock tanks can still contribute immensely to the success of the team.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

FaustianQ posted:

7. Add loving thin skinned bots like trucks and armored cars, etc, as well as pillboxes. This kinda goes hand in hand with making bigger maps, along with making HE useful. This also means uptiered or stock tanks can still contribute immensely to the success of the team.

Yeah given that a ton of tanks were expressly designed to wreck poo poo other than other tanks, its pretty ridiculous that all we have to fight are other armored shitboxes (oh and AA positions wow) on just about every map. The fact that they've had missions for planes that gives fighters and bombers something to do but can't come up with content for ground forces more complicated than king of the hill is a little sad and really needs to be addressed. Make the battlefield busy as gently caress with tons of poo poo to ruin like a good ground strike map and let people have the choice between impacting tickets by shooting NPC stuff or killing mans by shooting other tanks.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tier 4 isn't that great; it always feels like my team lawnmows while I climb to the side and yet there's always some fucker in a Fw190 who is still 1km or more higher than me. If I'm on Japan it's some Yak or La doing the same while my team kill soft targets on Zhengzhou. Playing as Brits or Germans in tier 4 is the least painful way to do it.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
PLAY WITH GOONS THEY SAY!

http://gfycat.com/PerfumedThunderousBunting

Thanks ErrorlessErik!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TheFonz posted:

PLAY WITH GOONS THEY SAY!

http://gfycat.com/PerfumedThunderousBunting

Thanks ErrorlessErik!

I feel like he's been doing that a lot lately.

Then again, thanks both of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXbxv0T3ChA&t=160s

Seeing errorless scream by, then the double notification of Sudden Ground Syndrome from you too was a treat.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I am not happy with the new premium pricing.
I play this game very sporadically, and until now I've just been buying a day's worth of prem every time I logged in to play, as I had no idea if the next time was gonna be in two days or two weeks, or even two months. Buying a month of premium is gonna be a huge waste when I'm probably only gonna use like four of those 30 days.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Nordick posted:

I am not happy with the new premium pricing.
I play this game very sporadically, and until now I've just been buying a day's worth of prem every time I logged in to play, as I had no idea if the next time was gonna be in two days or two weeks, or even two months. Buying a month of premium is gonna be a huge waste when I'm probably only gonna use like four of those 30 days.

Buy the year when it's on sale, like it was around halloween, it's like 7 cents a day.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Pretty much all the iconic planes of the war can be bought for a fair price across trees and flying them is like having premium when your account is not actually "active" because they all have double the bonus of regular planes. You also get a daily double reward bonus for each nation so unless you plan on playing more than one round a day with every nation there really is no reason to worry about having premium time.

:911:
    P-51
    Spitfire
    Bf 109 F-4
    Zero
    Lightning

:godwinning:
    Bf 109 G-2
    P-47
    La-5
    Fw 190
    Yak

:ussr:
    Kittyhawk
    Kingcobra
    P-47
    B-25

:britain:
    Hellcat
    Typhoon

:japan:
    CORSAIR :getin:
    B-17
    Fw 190
    Zero
    Bf 109

Unless you're absolutely intent on playing a jet or Yak-3 or something, it shouldn't be too hard to pretty much just straight up buy the plane you're aiming for instead of grinding it out or use them to get to the one you like faster.

Thief fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 25, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Thief posted:

Unless you're absolutely intent on playing a jet or Yak-3 or something, it shouldn't be too hard to pretty much just straight up buy the plane you're aiming for instead of grinding it out or use them to get to the one you like faster.

To be fair, the Yak-3 is an amazing plane. I want a German one.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

jownzy posted:

Buy the year when it's on sale, like it was around halloween, it's like 7 cents a day.
I've played this game since August 2012. During these 2+ years I haven't, apart from the couple sessions when first trying this game out, played a single session without premium as far as I remember.
At one day of premium at a time, I've managed that (PLUS a few premium planes) with a grand total of 12000 gold eagles, according to the purchase history in my profile on the official site.
Now, how much would 2 years of premium be on a sale like that?

I'm not trying to be snarky here, just want to clarify the point of how good the old 100 GE for one prem day was for me.

EDIT: To add, when I do play the game I do usually play for several hours at a time, so the daily doubles won't amount to much there.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 25, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Shanakin posted:

To be fair, the Yak-3 is an amazing plane. I want a German one.

imo it's the best dogfighter for this game. if it ever becomes premium on a different nation I would likely never fly russia again.

Nordick posted:

I've played this game since August 2012. During these 2+ years I haven't, apart from the couple sessions when first trying this game out, played a single session without premium as far as I remember.
At one day of premium at a time, I've managed that (PLUS a few premium planes) with a grand total of 12000 gold eagles, according to the purchase history in my profile on the official site.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, just want to clarify the point of how good the old 100 GE for one prem day was for me.

buying anything with gold eagles is basically just a way of donating to gaijin if you enjoy their free game. buying premium time has never been worth it no matter how they've changed it these past couple years. if you aren't enjoying it at era I/II/III then you will be immensely disappointed when you finally unlock one of those Sabres/Mig-15s.

if you want to get the most bang for your buck, buy a 20 dollar joystick instead of planes you can eventually unlock via free time and spend your money on a DCS module when it goes on sale for like 75% off next month.

Thief fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 25, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Nordick posted:

EDIT: To add, when I do play the game I do usually play for several hours at a time, so the daily doubles won't amount to much there.

about 14kish if you got them at the yearly half price sale so far I imagine.

Thief posted:

imo it's the best dogfighter for this game. if it ever becomes premium on a different nation I would likely never fly russia again.

Yes. Very much Yes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Yeah given that a ton of tanks were expressly designed to wreck poo poo other than other tanks, its pretty ridiculous that all we have to fight are other armored shitboxes (oh and AA positions wow) on just about every map. The fact that they've had missions for planes that gives fighters and bombers something to do but can't come up with content for ground forces more complicated than king of the hill is a little sad and really needs to be addressed. Make the battlefield busy as gently caress with tons of poo poo to ruin like a good ground strike map and let people have the choice between impacting tickets by shooting NPC stuff or killing mans by shooting other tanks.

i would kill for world of squad leaders

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Thief posted:

buying premium time has never been worth it no matter how they've changed it these past couple years. if you aren't enjoying it at era I/II/III then you will be immensely disappointed when you finally unlock one of those Sabres/Mig-15s.
I am enjoying it, I periodically go back to the lower tiers to have fun with my P-36 Hawks and Hurricanes and whatnot. I'm not trying to madly scramble up the tiers because I think higher = better or anything. I don't even particularly care about getting into jets.
However, I still enjoy unlocking cool new stuff to play with. Premium time helps me unlock more new stuff with less grinding. I've found it very much worth it until now, which was my original point.

Thief posted:

if you want to get the most bang for your buck, buy a 20 dollar joystick instead of planes you can eventually unlock via free time and spend your money on a DCS module when it goes on sale for like 75% off next month.
I play arcade and have zero interest in sim battles. I really don't need a joystick.

Shanakin posted:

about 14kish if you got them at the yearly half price sale so far I imagine.
Figured it might something like that. My point has been proven, thanks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Thief posted:

:japan:
CORSAIR :getin:
B-17
Fw 190
Zero
Bf 109

Add the loving Ki-96 to the list you bitch

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

Add the loving Ki-96 to the list you bitch

I didn't even know that plane existed until it was added to this game. :shrug:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Thief posted:

I didn't even know that plane existed until it was added to this game. :shrug:

Seriously try it out it's a lot of fun. Also it's really good, even though it can't do 800kph straight down screaming helldives anymore.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah it sucks that it has almost doubled in price for you. As you say, paying for longer times doesn't really work out because you play so infrequently. If you don't feel you're getting your money's worth from your $0.97* to $1.27* per day of play then don't pay it.

*best and worst case USD to GE conversions

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh, I probably will still pay it. Afterall, how am I gonna make my planes as garish as possible with only two decal slots?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Every premium plane can have all 4 decals even if your premium time expires if you unlock the mark of distinction. I bought most of them for the same price you pay for a single meal.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Seriously try it out it's a lot of fun. Also it's really good, even though it can't do 800kph straight down screaming helldives anymore.

I flew the 102 enough to know it's gonna be one of the last planes I get if I ever bother to :homebrew: for it. That cannon is awesome.

Thief fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
But i only need two to drape my planes in american flags :confused:

• Locked thread