Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Mortimer posted:

How long until legacy dies, anyone have an estimate?

I want to know when my LGS will be free of old greasy grognards

If WOTC doesn't do anything with the reserved list, probably a few years until the playerbase stagnates because the price to buy in gets too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elyv posted:

IIRC Liquid Fire was their attempt to make a trample burn spell and, well, check out that Oracle Text(although I don't understand why it has to use that templating).
What the gently caress

quote:

As an additional cost to cast Liquid Fire, choose a number between 0 and 5.

What the gently caress?

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Oracle text posted:

As an additional cost to cast Liquid Fire, choose a number between 0 and 5.

Liquid Fire deals X damage to target creature and 5 minus X damage to that creature's controller, where X is the chosen number.

I struggled to figure out why it's worded this way. It's to preserve the targeting requirement. You must target a creature, you don't/can't target a player. Sick anti-Leyline tech.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Elyv posted:

IIRC Liquid Fire was their attempt to make a trample burn spell and, well, check out that Oracle Text(although I don't understand why it has to use that templating).

The reason it's like that is otherwise you would have to deal at least 1 damage to both the creature and the player. The stupid oracle text lets you choose zero.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

The reason it's like that is otherwise you would have to deal at least 1 damage to both the creature and the player. The stupid oracle text lets you choose zero.

Nope. "Any number of target creatures and/or players" would let you do all the damage to one or the other just fine.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Booklegger posted:

Nope. "Any number of target creatures and/or players" would let you do all the damage to one or the other just fine.

For some reason apparently not. You can't e.g. target one of your heroic creatures and two of your opponent's creatures with Arc Lightning and deal the damage only to your opponent's creatures.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Booklegger posted:

Nope. You have to do something to the creatures targeted with "any number of targets" spells, including spells that distribute counters and deal damage.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Entropic posted:

For some reason apparently not. You can't e.g. target all your heroic creatures and two of your opponent's creatures with Arc Lightning and deal the damage only to your opponent's creatures.

That's because you have to divide among all your targets. If you don't deal damage to it, you don't target it. That's what the bad oracle wording preserves. It ALWAYS targets the creature, even if it deals 0 damage.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Place a 5/1 creature with trample and haste on to the battlefield. This does not cause 'enter the battlefield' effects to trigger. Any static effects that would affect this creature do not. There is an additional combat round during the resolution of this spell, during which neither player may cast spells or otherwise receive priority. During this additional combat round, the creature placed on the battlefield as a result of this spell attacks target opponent. This effect cannot be prevented. No other creatures may attack during this combat round. This creature must be blocked by up to one target creature controlled by the defending player. This effect cannot be prevented. No other creatures may block during this combat round. Prevent all damage dealt by creatures this combat round. If damage prevented this way was dealt by the creature placed on to the battlefield as a result of this spell, ~ deals that much damage to the creature or player damage was dealt to. This damage does not count as combat damage. Exile the creature placed on to the battlefield as a result of this spell at the end of the additional combat round. If the creature placed on to the battlefield as a result of this spell would die or otherwise leave the battlefield, exile it instead. This effect does not cause 'leaves the battlefield' effects to trigger.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

It's real loving easy guys you just print

Trample Bolt
1R

Trample
Trample Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature

And then you write a new rule about trample on spells, or you make up a new different keyword that makes more sense and then you can hide all the stupid garbage that doesn't belong on a card in the comp rules

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sotar posted:

If WOTC doesn't do anything with the reserved list, probably a few years until the playerbase stagnates because the price to buy in gets too high.

nah it'll take way longer than that. considering the turnout at the NJ GP, legacy is still a pretty big loving deal, and considering that Vintage of all things is still limping on despite a truly exorbitant cost (as well as the physical lack of cards needed for the format) its got at least another decade in it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

A big flaming stink posted:

nah it'll take way longer than that. considering the turnout at the NJ GP, legacy is still a pretty big loving deal, and considering that Vintage of all things is still limping on despite a truly exorbitant cost (as well as the physical lack of cards needed for the format) its got at least another decade in it.

3rd biggest tournament ever. "This format's dead in 2 months tops you guys."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

A big flaming stink posted:

Actually GPNJ was a huge disappointment and SCG had to refund thousands of dollars to other vendors for not meeting their 'minimum entrants' guarantees.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Actually GPNJ was a huge disappointment and SCG had to refund thousands of dollars to other vendors for not meeting their 'minimum entrants' guarantees.

Source? Considering how huge it was, SCG was being unreasonably optimistic if they expected more than the number that did show.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

tgijsola posted:

Place a 5/1 creature with trample and haste on to the battlefield. This does not cause 'enter the battlefield' effects to trigger. Any static effects that would affect this creature do not. There is an additional combat round during the resolution of this spell, during which neither player may cast spells or otherwise receive priority. During this additional combat round, the creature placed on the battlefield as a result of this spell attacks target opponent. This effect cannot be prevented. No other creatures may attack during this combat round. This creature must be blocked by up to one target creature controlled by the defending player. This effect cannot be prevented. No other creatures may block during this combat round. Prevent all damage dealt by creatures this combat round. If damage prevented this way was dealt by the creature placed on to the battlefield as a result of this spell, ~ deals that much damage to the creature or player damage was dealt to. This damage does not count as combat damage. Exile the creature placed on to the battlefield as a result of this spell at the end of the additional combat round. If the creature placed on to the battlefield as a result of this spell would die or otherwise leave the battlefield, exile it instead. This effect does not cause 'leaves the battlefield' effects to trigger.

Sweet, the first sorcery to cost XWUBRG

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

tgijsola posted:

If you told me this was the actual printed text on some card from Legends or something, I'd believe you without question.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Chamale posted:

Source? Considering how huge it was, SCG was being unreasonably optimistic if they expected more than the number that did show.

Just my buddy who part times for a side vendor. I'd be astounded if those kind of deals where made public.

I mean, we don't even see an organizer explain the p&l's for a whole event as justification for why they're increasing entrance fees, or what proportion of prize payout is provided by wotc or anything.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how anyone can realistically expect a venue to even hold more than 4000 people but I mean I guess technically there was more than enough room for 4000 people to play.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

If you told me this was the actual printed text on some card from Legends or something, I'd believe you without question.

Nah, that'd be the current oracle text, the printed text would be something like "this sorcery fights target creature as though it were a 5/5 creature with trample and first strike"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So at this point the solution is to have the card text be "Targer creature enters the thunderdome, and inside, is a lightning bolt out for blood (This means it has trample)"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Entropic posted:

Nah, that'd be the current oracle text, the printed text would be something like "this sorcery fights target creature as though it were a 5/5 creature with trample and first strike"

Fight doesn't interact with Trample. If they made it so it did it'd probably be a way better mechanic.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Elyv posted:

what's wrong with the card as written? that may be some of the clunkiest oracle text I've ever seen

edit: oops, didn't see the new page. that makes sense!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

theironjef posted:

Fight doesn't interact with Trample. If they made it so it did it'd probably be a way better mechanic.

I had someone give his Unyielding Krumar first strike in response to my Savage Punch at the pre-release.

It's not that embarrassing of a mistake to make though. I can see the logic in it. I didn't play around Kill Shot and lost to him in game 3 of the finals, so who am I to talk?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

theironjef posted:

If we're talking early Magic style card design, fight does whatever the hell you want it to and may or may not even actually be a keyword.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
During controller's upkeep, new heads may be grown for RRR apiece.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My initial reaction to this is "SCG is loving retarded".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

My initial reaction to this is "SCG is loving retarded".

Your initial reaction should be "This sounds like My Uncle Works for Nintendo".

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean, we don't even see an organizer explain the p&l's for a whole event as justification for why they're increasing entrance fees, or what proportion of prize payout is provided by wotc or anything.

Wizards provides 100% of the prizes for the main event. That's why it's always the same.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Toshimo posted:

Your initial reaction should be "This sounds like My Uncle Works for Nintendo".

I believe anything a goon tells me that his friend who works part time for someone told him about someone else.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I believe anything a goon tells me that his friend who works part time for someone told him about someone else.

As you should :colbert: My record on leaks has been two for three!

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

For what it's worth, I heard from other non-goon sources that SCG did provide an attendance guarantee to the vendors, and that it wasn't met.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
It was ~500 people fewer than the largest GP of all time. What on earth were they expecting? Unless they were only off by like a 100 or something, but that doesn't register as a "huge disappointment".

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

It was ~500 people fewer than the largest GP of all time. What on earth were they expecting? Unless they were only off by like a 100 or something, but that doesn't register as a "huge disappointment".

I believe they were guaranteeing it would break Vegas.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Booklegger posted:

I struggled to figure out why it's worded this way. It's to preserve the targeting requirement. You must target a creature, you don't/can't target a player. Sick anti-Leyline tech.

It's probably templated like this because the oracle text has to describe how to apply the rules in MODO.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I believe they were guaranteeing it would break Vegas.

as hype as that brainstorm playmat is, a legacy GP beating the single biggest GP ever which had the hypest limited format ever was probably either overly optimistic or promised for optics.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Technically they were only off by a hundred or so, if you include the ~300 people that dropped prior to round 1 just to collect their Brainstorm swag.

But Vegas could have been 5 or 6k if it weren't for technical and room limitations.

That guarantee was bogus to make.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I'm curious to see how big GP:MMA2 gets. Wasn't there some talk about preparing for 10k attendance?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Joe Losset is giving his post-Open briefing if anyone wants to hear him talk about the missed trigger incident.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

If I were of a paranoid frame of mind, I would see a connection between the turnout and the Legacy/Modern/Standard split in the upcoming Star City Open schedule.

Consider: Legacy as a competitive format is supported basically entirely by Star City. PTQs are always Standard or Limited (or Modern, sometimes). GP NJ was designed to be the maximally-sized Legacy tournament that the Magic community can support. Everything from location to promotion to scheduling was designed to absolutely maximize the number of people who showed. This is as big as a Legacy event can get in the current environment.

The Open schedule comes out and there's as much Modern as Legacy, but the vast majority of it is Standard. Coupled with the statement that SCG is aiming for events to be big, multi-day cons rather than the traditional tournament model, this implies that, as big as GP NJ was, they want to go even bigger in the future. They believe, rightly or wrongly, that nothing they do can create a Legacy event larger than GP NJ. So they're going to run Standard, which can support larger events.

Legacy's not dead or dying. It's inherently not as healthy a format as Standard or Modern, if you define health by growth potential, but it's not going anywhere. The question really is whether it will stratify into T1 decks running increasingly expensive and difficult to obtain staples (duals, Force) and T2 decks running everything else? I'd expect a big stratification if they printed a Legacy Masters style set, but as it stands a lot of people simply aren't buying into the format at all, figuring (incorrectly in my opinion) no duals = no shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Entropic posted:

There's plenty of places that do it, but all unsanctioned AFAIK. Wizards might have some rules about it, but mostly because the bar is unlikely to have Wizards Event Reporter installed.

Couple pages ago but my LGS has a bar (called Critical Sip) inside of it. They have to shut down the bar if they use the tables in that area. That generally only happens for prereleases though, and people move from their assigned seats to the bar area to have a drink during a round all the time.

• Locked thread