Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll stop wasting my mana on it then until Knight Enchanter.

Also for another bug, at the mage quest I heard Connor kill himself or something but he's nowhere here. My character commented on it at least.

He is hanging in a room or something if its not showing up you just have to save/load sometimes things dont quite load right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I tried making a world-weary older mage, not sure how successful I was.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still not run into Hawke yet, but does changing their look still screw up your voice on the PS4 version?

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

For anyone curious if the Inquisition perks for the 'Rare Schematics' are worth it: They are not. They are Superior versions of Tier 2, which is fine, if there wasn't a tier 3 floating around. There are far better things to spend Inquisition perks on, at least, as long as they are still capped at 20 (and realistically ~12 you should be nearing end game).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is Blizzard any good? I'm going to respec Solas to better capitalize on his Rift Mage abilities and I can't decide between going deep into Inferno or Winter. It's a choice between grouping enemies onto a Fire Mine or grouping them up and dropping a Blizzard on them.

EDIT: Also, has anyone gotten good use out of Disruption Field in the Knight Enchanter tree? It seems way too small to be useful.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 25, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Elderbean posted:

I tried making a world-weary older mage, not sure how successful I was.

That's cool. I just put a handlebar moustache on Qunari head 2, and gave him green eyes and the red skin tone. :effort:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
These facial tattoos will never not be loving stupid.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I found a pair of aoe daggers. This owns.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Thumbtacks posted:

I found a pair of aoe daggers. This owns.
I saw some of those but haven't used them yet. What do they do, explode or something?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
A small question about haven, near end of act 1:

How many people are there to save?

I found:

- Dude trying to kick the house next to smithy doors open
- Person in burning building to left of varric
- Bar lady
- 1 person up near solas

Is that it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UberJumper posted:

I found:

- Bar lady
- 1 person up near solas

Is that it?

Someone in your party (it was Cassandra for me) will tell you when you've found them all.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Samurai Sanders posted:

I saw some of those but haven't used them yet. What do they do, explode or something?

They have a blade on top and bottom and change the attack animation. Also, I crafted one to have a chance of activating hidden blades, and one has a chance to immolate. It's pretty ridiculous. If I hit something more than a couple times there is an explosion and a free activation of hidden blades.

I had a coat that dumped caltrops but I used dragon tooth in the masterwork slot this time. I miss it a little but I don't think anything stays alive long enough to notice, realistically.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone playing on a GTX 970 describe what kind of performance they're getting? Like, can you put everything on Ultra+MSAA and still get near 60 fps?

quote:

Resolution would be good to know. I can do ultra at 1440p with no MSAA on a 780 vanilla, so at 1080/1200p, maybe?

Yeah, sorry, I'm at 1200p.

FuriousGeorge fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 25, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Resolution would be good to know. I can do ultra at 1440p with no MSAA on a 780 vanilla, so at 1080/1200p, maybe?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sprawl posted:

He is hanging in a room or something if its not showing up you just have to save/load sometimes things dont quite load right.

I figured from the context but gave up looking quick. That was a cool mission too! The one codex about what they were doing to Leliana is hosed too. They were hacking pieces off her and giving it to other people for blight experiments. She was the most resistant. I ended up conscripting the mages because they were stupid enough to side with the slaver empire and also almost destroy the world. Solas was grumpy about it and Blackwell was a little unhappy but whatever.

Also my arms are now falling off of my body along with my armor accessories help. Any hand motions lead to a really hosed up stretched out claw-thing now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 25, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Found a book in Morrin's Outlook in The Storm Coast which only granted XP when read and didn't come up with a text passage.
I think that's the first time I've seen that happen. Was it a bug?

Here's the place.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Harrow posted:

Someone in your party (it was Cassandra for me) will tell you when you've found them all.

Apparently i can't find them all, even though i have retried 3 times now. :iiam:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Found a book in Morrin's Outlook in The Storm Coast which only granted XP when read and didn't come up with a text passage.
I think that's the first time I've seen that happen. Was it a bug?

Here's the place.

That book did nothing for me ether, just gave me some XP.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FuriousGeorge posted:

Can anyone playing on a GTX 970 describe what kind of performance they're getting? Like, can you put everything on Ultra+MSAA and still get near 60 fps?

Yeah, sorry, I'm at 1200p.

I'm using a 970, and have every setting maxed except MSAA, only using FXAA on highest settings. I can get mostly 60fps, and it goes to 40 or so if I turn on MSAA. This is at 1080p.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm trying to do Vivenne's quest and, in a separate area, the "Call me Ishmael" quests and am just hopelessly lost. Are there any maps because I just can't figure out how to get to their markers past these huge rock walls.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can't even begin to understand how anyone let Sera into the party after the first meeting. The option gave me a warning that I would never see her again and I never looked back.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
[10 hours in spoilers] I just finished fending off crystal heads army and got to the new keep where I meet Hawke who was the PC from dragon age 2. I played the original one but skipped 2. Hawke says he fought the crystal head guy before but a brief glance at the poorly written wiki didnt tell me anything.

What are some important connections that I should know about, or that would help me better appreciate the story?

(is king alistar the guy from the first game?)

Please dont spoil me in answering this

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mr E posted:

I can't even begin to understand how anyone let Sera into the party after the first meeting. The option gave me a warning that I would never see her again and I never looked back.

Nice, you missed out on one of the best character arcs of the game because you made a poor snap judgment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a specific quest that's supposed to trigger all the specialization quests? I have the Specialization Training quest in my journal, but I'm not sure what targets on the world map activate it. There are quite a few missions that still say BUSY in red text even though none of my advisors are working on them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Nice, you missed out on one of the best character arcs of the game because you made a poor snap judgment.

Ah yes, the always pleasant evolution of extremely abrasive and obnoxious character to extremely abrasive and obnoxious character with a sympathetic backstory of abuse.

Because of loving course they have one.

quote:

Is there a specific quest that's supposed to trigger all the specialization quests? I have the Specialization Training quest in my journal, but I'm not sure what targets on the world map activate it. There are quite a few missions that still say BUSY in red text even though none of my advisors are working on them.

Ferelden map, left edge, Recruit Class Trainers mission.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WYA posted:

Please dont spoil me in answering this

Alistair was one of your companions in the orignal game. He was a grey Warden and worked with you after you became a grey warden. You had the option of making him the king near the end of the game, or not.

The other guy you're talking about was the main bad guy of one of the DLCs for Dragon Age 2. You fought and killed him BUT DID HE REALLY DIE?!?!?!

And now DA3.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

UberJumper posted:

I found:

- Bar lady
- 1 person up near solas

Is that it?

There are 2 people by Solas, it is extremely difficult to save both of them before the pot blows up killing the other. If you quicksave constantly like me, then it can take several tries to save both of them, but it is doable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am seriously missing something about these guys I am supposed to duel to become a champion. I have exhaustively explored at least one of the regions in the exalted plains that they are supposed to be and there's no sign of anyone. Why on earth would a duelist be just hanging around in places like these in the first place, anyway? This quest makes no sense.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Ah yes, the always pleasant evolution of extremely abrasive and obnoxious character to extremely abrasive and obnoxious character with a sympathetic backstory of abuse.

I missed nothing.

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010
Welp, after fighting through constant crashes I've finally come to a part where I can't brute force it anymore. Near the end of act 1 During the mage quest after I've collected party members and Leliana, I can't get past the rift fight it, either crashes before the fight starts or during the second wave. If I reload an earlier save it crashes before I can even get there.. So I guess I'll just wait until the next patch or a stable driver comes out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr E posted:

I missed nothing.

There's more evidence on the pile of "If you're a female elf in this setting, your life is going to have issues" but beyond that it's routine Bioware abusive tragic backstory.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Dogen posted:

They have a blade on top and bottom and change the attack animation. Also, I crafted one to have a chance of activating hidden blades, and one has a chance to immolate. It's pretty ridiculous. If I hit something more than a couple times there is an explosion and a free activation of hidden blades.

I had a coat that dumped caltrops but I used dragon tooth in the masterwork slot this time. I miss it a little but I don't think anything stays alive long enough to notice, realistically.

Where did you find them thangs at? That sounds loving awesome.

Also, where do I find the other two assassins? I've killed Fat Masters behind the keep, but I can't find the other two.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The entrance to this cave is closed and there's seemingly no way around. How do I get in to do the Red Lyrium stuff?

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

Also, where do I find the other two assassins? I've killed Fat Masters behind the keep, but I can't find the other two.

East Side Hills - Starting camp, head towards left and upwards, assassin is at a hut by the water.

The Flats - Assassin is around the fishing hut (which is a landmark) near the astrarium. Nearest travel point is the village.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

The entrance to this cave is closed and there's seemingly no way around. How do I get in to do the Red Lyrium stuff?

It opens up later as a result of stuff you do elsewhere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cythereal posted:

The bee grenades are lolwacky as gently caress but at least they're good. Sera is never leaving the bench in my game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can someone tell me how to recruit Dorian when I went templar side? He showed up at the big event but then is no where to be found when I got to act 2. Theres no quest to recruit him or anything.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don't know why I'm bothered by this, but I kind of feel it's really lame that your mail villain was originally introduced via doc in a bad game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm, lemme change my question. Who has made their Inquisitor a Champion, and how? A messageboard post said that one of the duelists should be around the Dalish camp, but like...this is a freaking wasteland. What am I even looking for?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just finished the game. Origin pegs me at 88 hours, and my exploration of Hissing Wastes and Exalted Plains was half-assed.

Overall I liked it a lot, and I appreciate the ambition behind the project. It's definitely a Bioware RPG, and the best RPG I've played since the Baldur's Gate series (including Skyrim). It does have a lot of flaws though.

I thought the story was pretty weak and didn't connect properly to the setting. The only nation that took Corypheus seriously seemed to be Orlais, and that was only because he wanted to throw the country into chaos. But, considering that he was one of the seven magisters who originally walked the Golden City and created the Blight, and that his plan was to raise a demon army and conquer the world and become a god, why didn't the other nations unite and send their armies to help the Inquisition? After all, if the world ends, they also end. Instead, we get half-assed responses. Alistair makes a cameo appearance and sends some letters and that's it for Ferelden. As for others, throughout the game we have various references to and correspondence with Tevinter, Antiva, Rivain, Nevarra, Orzammar, etc. but it was a huge disappointment to not have them involved in the story in any substantial way. I hope the next DA game -- of which there will certainly be one now that this one is a massive success -- takes place across entire Thedas, including Par Vollen and Seheron.

I also thought Bioware missed a huge opportunity by allowing only cosmetic upgrades to Skyhold. It would have been awesome if we originally found it in near total ruin and rebuilt and repaired it over time using gold, power, influence and materials, all the while defending against attacks from Corypheus. It would have added more depth to that part of the game and made the villain appear more menacing and formidable, and also added symbolism for rebuilding the Inquisition after the defeat at Haven. They could have even made it so that capturing the various keeps around the game world unlocks additional defensive structures as the Inquisition architects study them, etc. More reason to explore and gain power.

Lastly, itemization was surprisingly lackluster. Especially crafting. Only three tiers of items, and three levels of quality for each. Managing people's equipment was the most boring part of the game for me, because there just wasn't any depth or variety to the items. Rings were especially awful. I think over 80% of rings I found did nothing other than boost some ability damage/duration by 30%. Zzz... Maybe I got spoiled by Diablo 3.

I'm looking forward to the DLCs. I'm also secretly hoping for a full-blown expansion at some point, even though they don't do those anymore.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

cheesetriangles posted:

Can someone tell me how to recruit Dorian when I went templar side? He showed up at the big event but then is no where to be found when I got to act 2. Theres no quest to recruit him or anything.

If he's anything like Cole, there's an event that needs to happen somewhere in Skyhold where he gets formally invited to the team or kicked out. Cole's was in the courtyard, but I don't know about Dorian.

• Locked thread