Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

ajkalan posted:

From my time with it, it was mostly stable, if a bit of a framerate hog, especially in the swamp north of Morthal (I'm talking a drop from over 30fps to the single digits here). WATER is an incompatible mod, causing sporadic CTDs when paired together. Also, this simply replaces default meshes without trying to fix the problems this causes, so you'll run into things like palm trees blocking your progress in caves. Disabling them individually in the console works well enough, though. I enjoyed it as a change of pace, though it's been a while since I used it and I don't remember if I used any other complementary mods with it.

Man. A machete mod that can remove vegetation world items in the way would be a very cool addition. I wonder how difficult something like that would be to make? It'd make those parts where plants and trees are in the way seem intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Quick question about SPERG for seorin (or anyone who knows if seorin is no longer supporting it).
The light armorer perk in the smithing tree doesn't seem to be working. I can only improve them just as much with the perk as without it, not 2 times as much. Is there a condition I'm missing? I looked in TESVEdit and no other mods are conflicting with that perk.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
It functions off keywords, so if something has changed or removed keywords from light armor (or the piece you're trying it on doesn't have it), it won't work.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

does setting iPresentInterval=0 still break the game? I'm kinda getting the itch to play it again but would like to be as safe as possible

Burns
May 10, 2008

It looks like the creator of Wyrmstooth has released a updated version today. Err, yesterday.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There's something very satisfying about fighting ghosts whilst unarmed.

Not sure if this is the right place to post these, is there a general thread I should post these in instead?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

So I ran Requiem for a while, with a few other things like survivalist mods and an alternate start, and the early game was really lovely - hunting wildlife around Winterhold, camping near fires at night to stay alive, saving up for a horse so I could go be an adventurer. The sense of place was great and I continued to refine my economic gambits right up until I got the horse.

Then the game turned into being about going into random dungeons and taking random quests, which was comparatively flat. Plus there was the extra ingredient thanks to Requiem that I had no idea which quests or dungeons would even be doable.

Are there any mods which can make the midgame more interesting?

Not really, requiem and mods similar to it tend to put things into the "cheese or die" category in regards to every fight and encounter.

You could get combat mods that make combat more player skill based than stat based but then you run into the problem where encounters get too easy once you learn all the systems.

It's worth a shot though. Ultimate combat is pretty good so you can try that.

Cardboard Box posted:

does setting iPresentInterval=0 still break the game? I'm kinda getting the itch to play it again but would like to be as safe as possible

A quick google search tells me that ENBoost allows you to set it to 0 and not break the game. ENBoost should be used anyways as it pretty much destroys all issues with Skyrim so you should be fine.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 25, 2014

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Red Mundus posted:

Not really, requiem and mods similar to it tend to put things into the "cheese or die" category in regards to every fight and encounter.

You could get combat mods that make combat more player skill based than stat based but then you run into the problem where encounters get too easy once you learn all the systems.

It's worth a shot though. Ultimate combat is pretty good so you can try that.

Yeah, Requiem's combat was kinda cheesy but I was willing to put up with it because, at least at first, the roleplaying side of things was really awesome. I really felt like a person in a place! It's Skyrim's usual structure of randomly picking from an infinite list of interchangeable activities that eventually put me off. Probably I just don't like Skyrim, oh well

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Burns posted:

It looks like the creator of Wyrmstooth has released a updated version today. Err, yesterday.

Awesome! Thanks for reminding me. I'm glad he's still interested in working on Wyrmstooth.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

There's something very satisfying about fighting ghosts whilst unarmed.

Not sure if this is the right place to post these, is there a general thread I should post these in instead?

What is your spec and outfit from?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

A quick google search tells me that ENBoost allows you to set it to 0 and not break the game. ENBoost should be used anyways as it pretty much destroys all issues with Skyrim so you should be fine.

I'll look into that, thanks!

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

So I ran Requiem for a while, with a few other things like survivalist mods and an alternate start, and the early game was really lovely - hunting wildlife around Winterhold, camping near fires at night to stay alive, saving up for a horse so I could go be an adventurer. The sense of place was great and I continued to refine my economic gambits right up until I got the horse.

Then the game turned into being about going into random dungeons and taking random quests, which was comparatively flat. Plus there was the extra ingredient thanks to Requiem that I had no idea which quests or dungeons would even be doable.

Are there any mods which can make the midgame more interesting?

It sounds like you need direction more than anything else. In early game it's fairly easy. Don't want to starve? Better find a deer. Need a better weapon? Scrounge up some gold or find a bandit to kill. By mid game that sense of urgency starts to die off. Basic needs are met, it's no longer a struggle to survive every day, so now what? I run into the same thing, and it's usually fixed by a combination of two things. Content, and personal goals.

Content is easier. Get some quest mods. Interesting NPCs (3D NPCs) is amazing for this. There's so many threads to follow, if that's your thing.

Personal stuff is..harder? It's kind of up to you. Right now my goal is still somewhat content related, but I'm trying to get to 100 in smithing so I can check out some dragonbone weapons from a mod I have. I also have SPERG, and there's some gameplay stuff I'm checking out and thinking about going for, like heavy investment into illusion for the magic resistance perk. By the time all that's done I think I'll be fairly high level and into the late game, which will be a first for me if it all actually pans out. I don't know what sort of stuff I might encounter. I'm looking forward to it.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Quick question for users of Mod Organizer. I've associated it with the "download with manager" links on Nexus, and I'm able to download the files. However, when it prompts me to double-click to install the files, I get an error message saying the file exists(?). WTF does that mean? Google and the FAQ have been no help. If it matters, I was trying to install SkyUI.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

seorin posted:

It functions off keywords, so if something has changed or removed keywords from light armor (or the piece you're trying it on doesn't have it), it won't work.

Well, I can't seem to track any obvious cause as to why the Light Armorer perk isn't working. Keywords are present on the relevant armors and there are no conflicts present according to TESVEdit. The few other perks I've taken in the smithing and light armor trees are working fine, so whatever the problem is it's specifically with that one perk.
Unless anyone has any ideas I'm going to write it off as a Skyrim quirk and forget about it.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Helith posted:

Well, I can't seem to track any obvious cause as to why the Light Armorer perk isn't working. Keywords are present on the relevant armors and there are no conflicts present according to TESVEdit. The few other perks I've taken in the smithing and light armor trees are working fine, so whatever the problem is it's specifically with that one perk.
Unless anyone has any ideas I'm going to write it off as a Skyrim quirk and forget about it.

I don't have time right now to do any digging, but I've found that mods with scripts affecting crafting stations can conflict in ways that TESVEdit can't spot. Do you have any crafting mods?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

NiftyBottle posted:

I don't have time right now to do any digging, but I've found that mods with scripts affecting crafting stations can conflict in ways that TESVEdit can't spot. Do you have any crafting mods?

Yeah, Complete Crafting Overhaul would be my prime suspect. I've also got Frostfall which adds some recipes to craft, Functional homes adds crafting stations to the homes you buy. I've also got Weapon and Armor fixes - remade installed. Nothing else obvious jumps out, though I have about 125 mods installed.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Buried alive posted:

Personal stuff is..harder? It's kind of up to you. Right now my goal is still somewhat content related, but I'm trying to get to 100 in smithing so I can check out some dragonbone weapons from a mod I have. I also have SPERG, and there's some gameplay stuff I'm checking out and thinking about going for, like heavy investment into illusion for the magic resistance perk. By the time all that's done I think I'll be fairly high level and into the late game, which will be a first for me if it all actually pans out. I don't know what sort of stuff I might encounter. I'm looking forward to it.

This. I decided to try a novel build that went against my usual playstyle and go for Oblivion Walker, and I ended up taking him far beyond any other character I've had. Even my character that actually finished the main quest was 15-ish levels below him.

RIP Ohseph. :smith: Maybe I'll actually finish that run someday, but my track record of going back to old characters is pretty bleak.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hurray! I've solved it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction NiftyBottle. CCO was the culprit, it has 'perks' relating to tempering and it loads after SPERG so it's conditions for tempering were overiding SPERGS. I made a patch that just contains the relevant SPERG perks that would be affected, loaded it after CCO and the Light Armorer perk now works.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

thanks for turning me onto ENBoost, Red Mundus, because it completely changed the game for me. I went from getting sorta uneven framerates and hitching to never dropping a frame below 60 fps at ultra settings with a lot of mods installed. this is amazing

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What is your spec and outfit from?

The outfit is the Rogue Thief armor from Warmonger's Armory with a cloak and hood from either Cloaks of Skyrim or Winter is coming - Cloaks. I think the backpack is from Sabre Cat Backpack.

I'm running this on a rig with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 770, 8GBs of RAM, and an Intel i5-4690 CPU. Also all the other bits you need to make a computer work.

I haven't actually invested anything into unarmed, Khajiits are just really good at punching people. At low levels I actually did more damage punching people than by using melee weapons.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 25, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Holy poo poo this looks ambitious and great. Roll a new dude in Helgen, show up in Vivec 39 levels later.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Yeah it looks and sounds great, but they've already missed their first deadline by several months (and that was just the city of Bruma, not all of Cyrodil). Their world building, texturing, and modeling teams seem to be making good progress in a lot of areas, but they also have to create all new dialogue, voice acting, and quests, not to mention filling in the lore gaps (something that is incredibly worrisome, but they seem to have a good grasp of the in game lore). They're also not doing every province like they originally intended, omitting Valenwood, Black Marsh, and the Summerset Isles (Edit: Nevermind, looks like they intend to do these later). They'll probably end up in the same boat as Tamriel Rebuilt, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but we'll probably be playing TES6 before these guys see any real progress.

I keep getting Java heap space errors when installing Perkus Maximus in MO. T3nd0 doesn't seem to support installing through MO if this happens. Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind! Had to run it through SUM.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 25, 2014

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Helith posted:

Hurray! I've solved it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction NiftyBottle. CCO was the culprit, it has 'perks' relating to tempering and it loads after SPERG so it's conditions for tempering were overiding SPERGS. I made a patch that just contains the relevant SPERG perks that would be affected, loaded it after CCO and the Light Armorer perk now works.

I'll probably have to do this too, how simple is WryeBash?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

The outfit is the Rogue Thief armor from Warmonger's Armory with a cloak and hood from either Cloaks of Skyrim or Winter is coming - Cloaks. I think the backpack is from Sabre Cat Backpack.

I'm running this on a rig with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 770, 8GBs of RAM, and an Intel i5-4690 CPU. Also all the other bits you need to make a computer work.

I haven't actually invested anything into unarmed, Khajiits are just really good at punching people. At low levels I actually did more damage punching people than by using melee weapons.

Heh I meant your character spec.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I think it's been about a year since I played Skyrim last so it's time to go mod hunting and play it again. I remember being really happy with SPERG. Is it still awesome? What are the current hotness in overhaul? I tried Frostfall a couple of times, and it was interesting, but also very frustrating with the way it gated access to anywhere cold or blizzards.

And I know this is a long shot, but are there any good MP mods?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Wrye Bash is pretty simple. You'd be better off with a merged patch though. Or load SPERG towards the bottom of your load order.

LLSix posted:

I think it's been about a year since I played Skyrim last so it's time to go mod hunting and play it again. I remember being really happy with SPERG. Is it still awesome? What are the current hotness in overhaul? I tried Frostfall a couple of times, and it was interesting, but also very frustrating with the way it gated access to anywhere cold or blizzards.

Current "hot" thing is Perkus Maximus, another overhaul by the guy who made SkyRe. No MP mods worth mentioning though.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

LLSix posted:

SPERG or Perkus Maximus, I'd say. Depends on what you're looking for. SPERG is more subtle and is a lot more compatible with other mods out of the box. PerMa requires running a patcher, but it does a lot more to the game than SPERG and feels farther from vanilla.

Then there's Requiem if you're a horrible masochist (I am). :v:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I used TESVEdit to create a patch esp. CCO "adjusts tempering and enchanting effects so that certain items receive stronger benefits than others" and it uses fake 'perks' to do this. I just put the SPERG perks that I thought would be affected into the patch. For reference I added:
Heavy Armorer, Light Armorer, Open Minded and Weaponsmith from the smithing tree and Wisdom, Sagacity, Intensity, Glittering Prizes and Enchanted Weave from the enchanting tree. There could be perks I missed or ones that don't really need to be there as I'v not tested all those perks. I also made CCO a master to the patch just so that LOOT would always load it after.

You cant load SPERG lower as it's an esm and CCO is an esp is my understanding of the file structure.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Heh I meant your character spec.

Oh, right. I'm mostly focusing on archery and sword-and-board, with some unarmed to spice things up. Pretty generic stuff, but I enjoy it.

First time using light armor, though. I'm liking it so far.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 25, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is my first time playing the Civil War quests with Frostfall running and I have to say having allied forts all over the map has been super handy for not freezing to death. Oh time to camp? Let me just run inside this fort and get cozy.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

Oh, right. I'm mostly focusing on archery and sword-and-board, with some unarmed to spice things up. Pretty generic stuff, but I enjoy it.

First time using light armor, though. I'm liking it so far.

Would a Khajiit use a shield?

Also, ModOrganizer tells me that mods are out of date, but I don't see an easy update button. What is the best way to update mods that wont result in dick breaking problems?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 26, 2014

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

So Tropical Skyrim is pretty cool if not a fps hog. Everyone is still walking around bundled up though. Are there any good clothing/armor replacers for both men and women for "summer" levels of clothing? Without being titty armor I mean. I know that's a tall order for the nexus. I haven't found any personally.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Also, ModOrganizer tells me that mods are out of date, but I don't see an easy update button. What is the best way to update mods that wont result in dick breaking problems?

Kraven Moorhed posted:

SPERG or Perkus Maximus, I'd say. Depends on what you're looking for. SPERG is more subtle and is a lot more compatible with other mods out of the box. PerMa requires running a patcher, but it does a lot more to the game than SPERG and feels farther from vanilla.

Then there's Requiem if you're a horrible masochist (I am). :v:

I've been a SPERG man since I got Skyrim on PC, and while I still love it, I'm trying a PerMa run right now and having a lot of fun with it.

One thing I like in PerMa is that the Warforged armor gives an actual alternative to enchanting.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You tell me :colbert:

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I've been a SPERG man since I got Skyrim on PC, and while I still love it, I'm trying a PerMa run right now and having a lot of fun with it.

One thing I like in PerMa is that the Warforged armor gives an actual alternative to enchanting.

Yeah, I've used SPERG for the vast majority of my playthroughs, but now I'm giving PerMa a whirl. They're two different beasts. SPERG's perks are more rewarding, but you have to wait for the good ones, but the auto perks help fill in the time. PerMa seems like it's all about very specific planning for what you want to do, since there's a ton of perks but only some might be useful to a player's build. I can't see filling out any of the perk trees entirely, but granted I'm not very far into it. PerMa is definitely willing to branch out, whereas SPERG takes great pains to restrict itself. Two totally different design philosophies.

Also, has anyone seen the Uncapper perk per level settings for PerMa :psyduck:

If you want to jump right in, I'd say use SPERG, but since you've used it before, it can't hurt to try PerMa.

Also, the latest version of Frostfall lets you tweak how deadly the weather is, through an Exposure setting.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 26, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Holy poo poo this looks ambitious and great. Roll a new dude in Helgen, show up in Vivec 39 levels later.

And it'll be done sometime around same time as Half-Life 7.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Entropic posted:

And it'll be done sometime around same time as Half-Life 7.

Thats probably correct. None of these worldspace modifications have ever come to anything significant fruition, or at least not in the way where they feel like they are part of the base game. Skywind for example looks great but it would have been better if it was dealing with contemporary Morrowind (to Skyrim's time, that is), I can't remember the island's name atm.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
What are some of the big differences between SkyRe and PerMa? Is it more like a straight upgrade, or does it take a different direction?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

The Bee posted:

What are some of the big differences between SkyRe and PerMa? Is it more like a straight upgrade, or does it take a different direction?

Somewhat different direction. SkyRe had a lot of weapons that performed a little differently in obvious ways, with perks you could take to modify the behavior further for specific weapons. PerMa has no such perks, but weapons (supposedly) work way different from each other right out of the box now. Also from what I gather PerMa doesn't mess with birth signs, races or much of anything else besides alchemy, enchanting, equipment and perk trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Depends on the Khajiit, really.

Personally I'd prefer not to, but it's just so handy.

• Locked thread