Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does europe not have terrain for a big hoover-dam sized hydro-electric dam? Somewhere in Austria/southern germany there has to be the terrain to make one, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

double nine posted:

does europe not have terrain for a big hoover-dam sized hydro-electric dam? Somewhere in Austria/southern germany there has to be the terrain to make one, surely?

All the large rivers already have a ton of dams. Small rivers in valleys can still be converted to dams, but at incredible ecological cost by changing the water regime and turning remaining alluvial habitats into poo poo.

We should not be expanding hydro in large parts of Europe.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I've yet to be convinced that wave power will ever be economic and meet environmental standards at the same time.

It's a shame maintaining industrial equipment underwater is such a challenge, it seems so elegant to install some turbines in an ocean current.

Seems at least part of the problem is that most companies are just taking metal ground based designs and dealing with the higher costs of working and constant corrosion in the ocean. If there is less structural support required in the water, wouldn't there be potential in approaching the challenge with lighter materials that don't inherently dissolve in salt water?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

double nine posted:

Hydro power is deceptively awful for the environment. You lose the area's natural conditions, which in some cases is a travesty (Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite was a particularly wonderful environment lost in the 30s). You also introduce great risks to industry and population centers, because dam failures, while relatively uncommon, have incredible consequences. Some of my work has involved looking into how well a nuclear power plant survives an upstream dam failure. The site I looked at was relatively lucky, shunted off the main river with a canal and protected by a well-situated hill.

I won't make the argument that hydro is worse than coal, just that it should not be a desirable form of power construction anymore. A failure at 3 Gorges is a lot scarier than a nuclear plant meltdown.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's a shame maintaining industrial equipment underwater is such a challenge, it seems so elegant to install some turbines in an ocean current.

Seems at least part of the problem is that most companies are just taking metal ground based designs and dealing with the higher costs of working and constant corrosion in the ocean. If there is less structural support required in the water, wouldn't there be potential in approaching the challenge with lighter materials that don't inherently dissolve in salt water?
Sch as? There isn't much that doesn't dissolve in saltwater, regardless of weight or composition. Saltwater is just too harsh. Materials that don't corrode immediately tend to be very expensive and/or require extensive upkeep. The energy produced by tidal energy is very marginal, which requires more materials to produce a quantifiable value of power. Paying more for materials makes the enterprise unfeasible.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is there a good, semi-objective breakdown of solar PV vs solar thermal as a power plant design somewhere? Google gives me nothing but advice for home builders.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pander posted:

Hydro power is deceptively awful for the environment. You lose the area's natural conditions, which in some cases is a travesty (Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite was a particularly wonderful environment lost in the 30s). You also introduce great risks to industry and population centers, because dam failures, while relatively uncommon, have incredible consequences.

Those risks to industry and population centers aren't just from outright dam failure.

The people pointing out Hoover Dam as an area-wide panacea, take a look at this pic I took:

Floating by Phanatic, on Flickr

That's back in 2009. The water levels have continued to drop, and are at their lowest since the dam was built. The cities and farming that were a direct result of building the dam in the first place are in jeopardy of losing their water. If it drops 80 more feet, the pipes that extract water for Las Vegas will go dry, so they're building a billion-dollar expansion to be able to tap water from lower down. But if the level declines to 900 feet, then Arizona, California, and New Mexico don't get *any* water from the dam. Lake Mead gets fed from Lake Powell, which is also low. Hoover Dam's capacity is already down by about 25% because of the lower water levels.

Dams are pretty lovely for the environment: http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/5617/

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

holy poo poo. What happened, increased water consumption, change in rainfall, supplying river changed course?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Those risks to industry and population centers aren't just from outright dam failure.

The people pointing out Hoover Dam as an area-wide panacea, take a look at this pic I took:

Floating by Phanatic, on Flickr

That's back in 2009. The water levels have continued to drop, and are at their lowest since the dam was built. The cities and farming that were a direct result of building the dam in the first place are in jeopardy of losing their water. If it drops 80 more feet, the pipes that extract water for Las Vegas will go dry, so they're building a billion-dollar expansion to be able to tap water from lower down. But if the level declines to 900 feet, then Arizona, California, and New Mexico don't get *any* water from the dam. Lake Mead gets fed from Lake Powell, which is also low. Hoover Dam's capacity is already down by about 25% because of the lower water levels.

Dams are pretty lovely for the environment: http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/5617/

Can't we just blame LA for this?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

double nine posted:

holy poo poo. What happened, increased water consumption, change in rainfall, supplying river changed course?

Drought and increased usage if I had to guess. You see that all around the West.

Lucky Peak Reservoir, in Boise Idaho (not a hydroelectric plant IIRC but still).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

double nine posted:

15 years of drought coupled with induced demand. Hey, look at that, we build this steady reliable water supply for the southwest to spur development, and then the increased development resulted in a water shortage!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
To a lesser extent air-conditioning, refrigeration and electricity also allow large populations to live in hot places. I think PBS or NPR had something about AC helping Reagan win.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Maybe California should stop using their water to grow grass.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

California should probably do a lot of things.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/despite-drought-california-couple-in-trouble-for-not-watering-lawn/

quote:

Michael and Laura Korte felt they were answering Gov. Jerry Brown's urgent call to turn off the tap.

"Everyone should try to save at least 20 percent of their water use. All the people of California," Brown has said.

So now, the grounds outside the state Capitol building are turning brown. So is the Kortes' lawn.

On Tuesday, the same day California officials authorized fines of up to $500 for over-watering, the Kortes got a letter from the city of Glendora.

"It said you have 60 days to get your lawn looking like this or else," said Laura.

"And the penalty was fines of $100 to $500 and criminal prosecution, whatever that means," said Michael.

Yes, a $500 fine for under-watering.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

If California stopped growing almonds they could triple residential use.

Not even a joke.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I was trying to google the percentage of water used on lawn care and found that, stupid.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elotana posted:

Is there a good, semi-objective breakdown of solar PV vs solar thermal as a power plant design somewhere? Google gives me nothing but advice for home builders.

Physics for Future Presidents and (written later) Energy for Future Presidents are two good books with a nice breakdown of what's currently going on with solar PV vs solar thermal.

The breakdown is that solar thermal really has nowhere to go as far as driving down cost, so if you want to go to 100% solar thermal for US power then you're pretty much forever doomed to paving over the entire state of Texas in order to do so. Solar PV sees yearly incremental improvements in efficiency, so there's a chance that scientists and engineers will eventually produce something that is cost effective enough to use on a large scale and that can offset some of our carbon usage. But right now natural gas is becoming king of electricity production and there's nothing that solar PV or solar thermal can do about it without huge subsidies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Physics for Future Presidents and (written later) Energy for Future Presidents are two good books with a nice breakdown of what's currently going on with solar PV vs solar thermal.

The breakdown is that solar thermal really has nowhere to go as far as driving down cost, so if you want to go to 100% solar thermal for US power then you're pretty much forever doomed to paving over the entire state of Texas in order to do so. Solar PV sees yearly incremental improvements in efficiency, so there's a chance that scientists and engineers will eventually produce something that is cost effective enough to use on a large scale and that can offset some of our carbon usage. But right now natural gas is becoming king of electricity production and there's nothing that solar PV or solar thermal can do about it without huge subsidies.

From one cheap energy sources (Coal) to another cheap energy source (Gas).

The cycle continues.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Thanks, Capitalism!

Yeah I was trying to google the percentage of water used on lawn care and found that, stupid.

The best part is that this can happen pretty much anywhere thanks to homeowners associations. I hope you didn't want to replace your expensive green grass lawn with something more suited to the arid environment in which we live, because I don't like anything that's not grass and I've convinced the other members of the board to place a lien on your house until you waste as much water as the rest of us

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ Thanks, Capitalism!

Almost all the arguments I heard against nuclear that are not from the Greenies involve how 'expensive' nuclear is.

Because using cheap dirty energy has done wonders for us.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Residential use of water basically amounts to nothing. Even in the most wasteful areas people are using on average about 550 gallons a day. A golf course in an arid environment typically uses 650,000 gallons per day. I mean of course limiting waste is good, but we tend to focus on things like this and miss the forest.

It's ultra tiny, residential use is a drop in the bucket of total use and even in the hottest months lawn care is probably less than 10% of the households water use.

Don't get me wrong, having meticulous lawns in areas that are near deserts is stupid, it just doesn't have nearly the effect people think it does.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Water and energy is such an interesting discussion to me because quality and quantity of use really matters. You can have a process that consumes less water, but if withdraws quality water and degrades it, well that low consumption number starts being less meaningful. Then add the layered complexities of the geographic nature of energy and the varied life cycles of different energy sources and there is a lot of nuance to be had.

There's that sweet graph of water consumption at the power plant I'll edit this post and add which is one huge variable among many.

edit:

This is of course consumption and doesn't include any loss of quality to water withdrawn and released (e.g. once-through cooling loops).

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 24, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

tsa posted:

Residential use of water basically amounts to nothing. Even in the most wasteful areas people are using on average about 550 gallons a day. A golf course in an arid environment typically uses 650,000 gallons per day. I mean of course limiting waste is good, but we tend to focus on things like this and miss the forest.

It's ultra tiny, residential use is a drop in the bucket of total use and even in the hottest months lawn care is probably less than 10% of the households water use.

Don't get me wrong, having meticulous lawns in areas that are near deserts is stupid, it just doesn't have nearly the effect people think it does.

Do you have sources for this stuff? It's not that I don't believe you, but I was curious myself what the breakdown was and couldn't find good data. I found this one report from 2006 and that's really it. http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/cep/ep_706ehep.pdf

(I...would hope that there are more than one thousand people per golf course in California but I guess I can't really know that.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Do you have sources for this stuff? It's not that I don't believe you, but I was curious myself what the breakdown was and couldn't find good data. I found this one report from 2006 and that's really it. http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/cep/ep_706ehep.pdf

(I...would hope that there are more than one thousand people per golf course in California but I guess I can't really know that.)

Well since we're talking about desert golf courses in California, I went to the Coachella Valley Water District's website and found this info. They're the Water District for Palm Springs/Palm Desert which is desert golf course mecca Edit: Ok I double checked, and they're just south of Palm Springs/Palm Desert, but still effectively the same.

quote:

The Coachella Valley is home to more than 120 golf courses, most of which are located within CVWD’s service boundaries. The average golf course uses about 850 acre-feet of per year to maintain its greens and adjacent landscaping.

In 2002, the district passed the strictest landscape ordinance in the state. Most importantly, it limits turf areas, requires desert landscaping in non-play areas and sets water budgets for all new golf courses. Today, a similar law is in place across the state of California.

Currently 15 golf courses within CVWD boundaries use a nonpotable blend of recycled water and Colorado River water for irrigation. An additional 27 golf courses use all Colorado River water imported from the Coachella Canal. Plans are underway for an additional 50 golf courses to switch from groundwater to these nonpotable supplies in the future.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 24, 2014

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Sure: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-1105-california-water-20141106-story.html

Average water use is certainly less than 600 gallons a day, and my 10% figure was just a back of the envelope thing, but I would be surprised if lawn care was more than 15% of the household's total use during the hottest months. Golf course water use varies by location and weather, but during hot months at least 200k a day seems reasonable. Regardless the point wasn't even necessarily about how wasteful golf is but rather how low residential use is compared to commercial.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tsa posted:

Sure: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-1105-california-water-20141106-story.html

Average water use is certainly less than 600 gallons a day, and my 10% figure was just a back of the envelope thing, but I would be surprised if lawn care was more than 15% of the household's total use during the hottest months. Golf course water use varies by location and weather, but during hot months at least 200k a day seems reasonable. Regardless the point wasn't even necessarily about how wasteful golf is but rather how low residential use is compared to commercial.

Using the numbers I quoted above and the number for CVWD in the article you linked it looks like in the desert a golf course in CA uses the same water as ~2,000 people in the same area. However, an increasing number of golf courses are using non-potable water.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, golf courses are pretty atrocious when it comes to water conservation. It's kind of insane that California is still allowing so many golf courses to keep consuming so much water, despite long-standing drought conditions

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Energiewende and the decision to abandon nuclear continues to be a rousing success for Germany: it has now been reduced to begging Sweden to keep its coal mines open so the country doesn't start experiencing blackouts.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5061a3e6-7347-11e4-907b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3JzrfzYYq

quote:

Germany has made a dramatic appeal to Sweden to help it out of an energy dilemma that threatens Europe’s biggest economy as it shifts away from nuclear power and fossil fuels to renewable energy.
Sigmar Gabriel, Germany’s vice-chancellor, warned Sweden’s new prime minister Stefan Löfven last month that there would be “serious consequences” for electricity supplies and jobs if Sweden’s state-owned utility Vattenfall ditched plans to expand two coal mines in the northeast of Germany.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Energiewende and the decision to abandon nuclear continues to be a rousing success for Germany: it has now been reduced to begging Sweden to keep its coal mines open so the country doesn't start experiencing blackouts.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5061a3e6-7347-11e4-907b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3JzrfzYYq
The article has a (soft) paywall, so here's a summary:
  • Vattenfall is a Swedish company. Wholly owned by the government but theoretically independent in terms of decision-making.
  • Vattenfall owns energy resources in Germany: coal mines, coal-fired power plants, nuclear power plants, and a few renewable projects.
  • Vattenfall's two German nuclear plants became suddenly worthless under Energiewende and have been shut down. They're understandably upset about this and they're suing.
  • Vattenfall has a prototype CCS coal-fired power plant. They're refusing to build any new non-CCS stuff and are shifting their investment portfolio towards greener options.
  • As a consequence of this policy, two specific German lignite mines are in danger of losing their primary shareholders, and will need to find new investors (in order to complete some crucial upgrade and expansion projects).
  • The exact reasoning isn't clear from the article. Speculation:
    • Vattenfall is in trouble financially and recently (Oct 2014) replaced their CEO; they're divesting some of their troubled overseas assets to focus on their core business
    • they have no desire to sink billions of additional capital into Germany only to see it outlawed under Energiewende 2: Electric Boogaloo
    • the dirty portfolio has generated negative publicity for Vattenfall and/or Stockholm; they're simply seeking to clean up their image
    • they're deliberately putting the screws to the German government as part of a gambit to continue operating the mines after wringing out some concessions behind-closed-doors (e.g. lucrative grants to restart their CCS research program, tax breaks, carbon credits, labour code exemptions, etc)
      • consider this (very recent) article which suggests that Vattenfall is planning to expand two of its lignite mines and construct three brand-new ones, while simultaneously seeking to sell all of them :psyduck: Maybe the "divestment" strategy is some sort of Enron game in which the assets are spun off into a shell company but nothing actually changes.
  • Lignite is a poor fuel. It can't be transported very far due to its low energy density and hence there is no "international spot price" (as exists for oil, nickel, uranium, etc). It's usually mined in open pits because underground mining is capital-intensive and lignite can't pay the bills. Without new investment, these two mines will eventually be exhausted and the associated power plants will be shut down (despite the powerplant equipment still being viable for many years of further operation).
  • LemonDrizzle's comment was hyperbolic; Germany is not facing an immediate risk of blackout. It's a medium- or long-term concern (except for the miners themselves, who might face layoffs if the new owners decide to slash expenses).
    • There are many issues at stake (jobs, pollution, foreign investment, energy exports, industrial development, retail price of electricity, regional vs national vs European priorities, partisan politics and wedge issues, etc) and there are many potential outcomes which could embarass the German government.
    • So they'd prefer to just maintain the status quo and avoid scandal.
    • Hence you get the German vice-chancellor writing a private letter to the prime minister of Sweden asking him to apply pressure regarding the investment strategy of a theoretically-independent private company.
    • Which the prime minister politely refused to do. And then he showed the private letter to the Financial Times.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, golf courses are pretty atrocious when it comes to water conservation. It's kind of insane that California is still allowing so many golf courses to keep consuming so much water, despite long-standing drought conditions

What really got my goat was watching the Open Tournament and seeing an actual Scottish Highland golf course, and realizing that it was far more water efficient because they hadn't replaced every obstacle and plant scrub with super short grass just so that it'd be easier to play. These super boring and water-wasting fields are completely optional to the game of golf.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LemonDrizzle posted:

Oh Germany, keep on doin' that thing you do :allears:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Oh Germany, keep on doin' that thing you do :allears:

My country is dumb and deserves a kick in the nuts. Looks like we're about to do that ourselves :allears:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How's Japan doing? Didn't they also try the ocean wave thing? Are they still not using land that has less atoms than some places?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Is this making people turn away from the Greens, any?

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Pretty decent article cheer-leading nuclear development in the US:

http://www.brookings.edu/research/essays/2014/backtothefuture

Basic argument is that the US government is going to need to make real investments to get better nuclear technology actually going, and to a lesser extent the regulatory system needs to actually made to function again. (This article's favorite example is requirements for pressure containment... on reactor designs that don't hold anything dangerous under pressure at all.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

crazypenguin posted:

Basic argument is that the US government is going to need to make real investments to get better nuclear technology actually going, and to a lesser extent the regulatory system needs to actually made to function again. (This article's favorite example is requirements for pressure containment... on reactor designs that don't hold anything dangerous under pressure at all.)

Supposedly the NRC and DoE have reached an agreement to open up spent fuel storage access, we may be able to raise the cap on the number of active reactors the US can operate.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

crazypenguin posted:

In this design there's no cladding to hold in your gaseous fission products in the event of a leak or vessel rupture. It won't need nearly as much pressure rating as a traditional LWR containment, but you still need some level of air-tight containment regardless of the RCS operating pressure.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

So a paper arguing that nuclear power is an effective way to combat climate change got published and the authors followed up with an open letter with a bunch of conservation prof signatures arguing for actually using it more.

The Ecologist, Setting the Environmental Agenda since 1970 (according to itself) managed to stop whining about GMOs for a second to put up a pair of anti nuclear articles seriously citing the Chernobyl Killed Millions of Russians "study" and finding that a nuclear winter sure wouldn't be biodiversity friendly (checkmate nucular shills) :smug:.

Good god, idiots in the green movement will be the final nail in the coffin for my faith in humanity and turn me into a FYGM coal shill because hey I might as well make mad bank and enjoy myself while the world burns :smith:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

blowfish posted:

So a paper arguing that nuclear power is an effective way to combat climate change got published and the authors followed up with an open letter with a bunch of conservation prof signatures arguing for actually using it more.

The Ecologist, Setting the Environmental Agenda since 1970 (according to itself) managed to stop whining about GMOs for a second to put up a pair of anti nuclear articles seriously citing the Chernobyl Killed Millions of Russians "study" and finding that a nuclear winter sure wouldn't be biodiversity friendly (checkmate nucular shills) :smug:.

Good god, idiots in the green movement will be the final nail in the coffin for my faith in humanity and turn me into a FYGM coal shill because hey I might as well make mad bank and enjoy myself while the world burns :smith:

If that ends up happening, you certainly picked the right country to live in! :v:

fake edit: How much influence does The Ecologist have over politicians, businesspeople, scientists, and environmentalists? Is this a publication by and for crackpots, or do these articles have reach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hedera Helix posted:

If that ends up happening, you certainly picked the right country to live in! :v:

fake edit: How much influence does The Ecologist have over politicians, businesspeople, scientists, and environmentalists? Is this a publication by and for crackpots, or do these articles have reach?

Unclear. You never know which influential people might be influenced by crackpot sources.