Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/tmxQhAdhGQI

This is how you go down a hill.

:clint:

:stonk: at 3:13 indeed. Also quite peeved that he edited out what must have been a sweet song sung by that jake brake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
It's Knight's fault for being such a huge pussy and going that slow in the first place.

:rice:

What's funny is how many runaway truck ramps there are on that grade, when there are zero on Emigrant Pass, Nevada, and that's longer, and you can do retarded speeds down that fucker.

EightBit posted:

:stonk: at 3:13 indeed. Also quite peeved that he edited out what must have been a sweet song sung by that jake brake.

I bet a nickel that engine brake wasn't talking much on that run.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hit a loving owl with the drivers side mirror. Now the cap won't stay tight and its whistling like a freightliner

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Also, I don't know how you oversized bastards don't knock yourselves silly getting in these small pick-ups and poo poo.

Part of why I like the trucks I like is that they fit me like a loving racecar :v: everything is exactly where it should be. Any other vehicle just feels... wrong.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Part of why I like the trucks I like is that they fit me like a loving racecar :v: everything is exactly where it should be. Any other vehicle just feels... wrong.

Have you driven many classic cars? I'm only 6'2" but I've got plenty of room in my Impala; in fact I'm more likely to hit my knees on the steering column or my head on the headliner in my pickup than the old heavy chevy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Have you driven many classic cars? I'm only 6'2" but I've got plenty of room in my Impala; in fact I'm more likely to hit my knees on the steering column or my head on the headliner in my pickup than the old heavy chevy.

Yeah. My 540 has a more comfortable seating position than my f 150.

Most day cab trucks I can't get my foot on the clutch before my knee hits the wheel.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Raluek posted:

Some of the best headroom I've ever had was in my '55 or '62 VW. '55 had shorter glass so that was cool too.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ijustam posted:

Do they track idle time? Go to bed pop on high idle, laugh all the way to the bank.
Honestly I think they don't track idle time, they just go with gallons purchased and miles driven. FedEx knows the gallons from fuel receipts, drivers turn in an Individual Vehicle Mile Record. However, I drive team and now drive a dedicated bid run, so if everything works out we run non-stop for 96 hours and 5000 miles. I think the owner-op that got dinged was probably running a single screw day-cab on a dedicated run in the flatter areas of the Carolina region and was trying to get the best mileage possible.

I could also go into how there are lighter local runs and heavy long-haul runs and empty long-haul runs, but I'll just say this: I (we, driving with dad) got paid to bobtail from Denver CO to Billings MT to pick up two empty pups and took them to Rialto CA because Billings had too many empties on the lot and Rialto needed power units. FedEx is a weird duck sometimes but they make money by getting packages from point A to point B, not by making sense, and they are making money.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Honestly I think they don't track idle time, they just go with gallons purchased and miles driven. FedEx knows the gallons from fuel receipts, drivers turn in an Individual Vehicle Mile Record. However, I drive team and now drive a dedicated bid run, so if everything works out we run non-stop for 96 hours and 5000 miles. I think the owner-op that got dinged was probably running a single screw day-cab on a dedicated run in the flatter areas of the Carolina region and was trying to get the best mileage possible.

I could also go into how there are lighter local runs and heavy long-haul runs and empty long-haul runs, but I'll just say this: I (we, driving with dad) got paid to bobtail from Denver CO to Billings MT to pick up two empty pups and took them to Rialto CA because Billings had too many empties on the lot and Rialto needed power units. FedEx is a weird duck sometimes but they make money by getting packages from point A to point B, not by making sense, and they are making money.

Tis the Season. You should see some of the places bulking up trailer storage right now here.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Yeah. My 540 has a more comfortable seating position than my f 150.

Most day cab trucks I can't get my foot on the clutch before my knee hits the wheel.

Especially last-gen Petes. Peterbilt daycabs can eat a dick they are the most uncomfortable goddamn thing I've driven since that time I tried to drive an S2k

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Tis the Season. You should see some of the places bulking up trailer storage right now here.

Don't get me started. I live near an Amazon warehouse and the seasonal traffic requires police to control major intersections. I'm glad I don't commute that direction anymore.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

InterceptorV8 posted:

If you make it out towards Lemmon or Golden, make sure to stop back by the oil/tire area at Wallyworld and see if there is any parking left. There were two trailers out there in late October. Last I counted over a week ago, it was at 12.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Honsy16 posted:

:staredog: Yeah...I was on board with this until about 3:13. Yikes.

"professional driver and open course"

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
Just finished my first trip in a truck out west, I hadn't run over the road in almost 20 years. Felt strange not seeing a traffic jam for days, and actually having to weigh my truck. I stupidly loaded 10 cars and headed out, finally weighing myself in PA, 500 miles from where I started and was overjoyed to discover that I was 6k over, 14.5 on my steers and 40 on my drives. Truck rode nice though. Got lucky across the midwest, they were all closed or bypassing when I went by. Thought my luck ran out climbing 70 west of Denver, scale was open. So I just drove by it, and got away with it. Dropped most of cars in Aspen, so I was legal the rest of the way to Vegas. Unloaded the rest there, went to Reno to reload and was heavy again, but not as bad. Feeling ballsy, I simply pretended I had Prepass and ran them all across I80 going East. Just blew by like I owned the place, and as far as I know, got away with it. Talked to boss, expressed my displeasure at a load he knew was overweight, he expressed his displeasure at my tactics to avoid a ticket. also expressed displeasure at the fact that I was unaware that EZ-pass doesn't work on the Florida Turnpike and the fact that I went through multiple toll booths without paying a toll, something about a couple hundred dollars in fines he now has to appeal. Whatever dude, not my name on the door. I told you when you hired me I that I hadn't been been south of Baltimore ever or west of Syracuse in a decade.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

9axle posted:

went to Reno to reload and was heavy again

Were you 80 the entire way? I may have seen (and subsequently avoided) you. :ninja:

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
I went east on I80 from Reno to Chicago. I was only over axle on that stretch, not over-gross. I left Tuesday Sparks tuesday morning, and was in New England saturday mid-morning.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

9axle posted:

I went east on I80 from Reno to Chicago. I was only over axle on that stretch, not over-gross. I left Tuesday Sparks tuesday morning, and was in New England saturday mid-morning.

Wasn't you. There was a guy who resembled a confused daytripper hauling various cars which were mostly still in their proper seating (open, of course) hauling down 395 (Now 580 WTF, why?) south with a rather addled look on his face last Friday. I didn't stick nearby for long. uShip strikes again!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

9axle posted:

Talked to boss, expressed my displeasure at a load he knew was overweight, he expressed his displeasure at my tactics to avoid a ticket. also expressed displeasure at the fact that I was unaware that EZ-pass doesn't work on the Florida Turnpike and the fact that I went through multiple toll booths without paying a toll, something about a couple hundred dollars in fines he now has to appeal. Whatever dude, not my name on the door. I told you when you hired me I that I hadn't been been south of Baltimore ever or west of Syracuse in a decade.

Fuckin' LOL.

Teach that guy a lesson. Had that happen once in the Bay Area, loving thought I missed all the tolls then bingo got stuck in the Bay Bridge one without cash or the fucks to give to pay. Company got pissed, told them not my truck, not my problem and gently caress you for sending me into San Francisco.

Viggen posted:

Wasn't you. There was a guy who resembled a confused daytripper hauling various cars which were mostly still in their proper seating (open, of course) hauling down 395 (Now 580 WTF, why?) south with a rather addled look on his face last Friday. I didn't stick nearby for long. uShip strikes again!

Because they want all state capitols connected to the interstate system, DUH.

And I bet you think I am kidding, now that Carson is connected, there is only one capitol not on the interstate system.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Oh yeah, gently caress this planet:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680579

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

Not me. I may drive the office people insane, but I know how to work a carhauler. Always 4 chains or straps, no matter what. Always the right hooks in the right holes, windows always up, doors locked and keys in the cab with me. But being from the northeast, I tend to not sweat details like DOT stops, log books, tolls, or weight.

Oh, and hands-free cell phones are for retards, real truckers would never get caught with a headset and boom mike.

9axle fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 24, 2014

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I live in New England and hardly ever see long haul trucks from the Midwest or West (or the South even). Do long haul guys stay out of New England?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

InterceptorV8 posted:

Because they want all state capitols connected to the interstate system, DUH.

And I bet you think I am kidding, now that Carson is connected, there is only one capitol not on the interstate system.

That is brilliant, since we have a 580 just a couple hours away. Why don't they just assign them arbitrary letters. They'll only be reused twice, right? :haw:

9axle posted:

Not me. I may drive the office people insane, but I know how to work a carhauler. Always 4 chains or straps, no matter what. Always the right hooks in the right holes, windows always up, doors locked and keys in the cab with me. But being from the northeast, I tend to not sweat details like DOT stops, log books, tolls, or weight.

I wish I could find the guy who hauled my 90s eBay purchase from MA to MT. Bastard car had a dead battery, barely started, and didn't want to run- but he managed to coax it both on and off his truck. I owe that guy a beer.. my relatives didn't give him one. :(

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shampoo posted:

I live in New England and hardly ever see long haul trucks from the Midwest or West (or the South even). Do long haul guys stay out of New England?

They try to. Not much freight comes out of that area so you're looking at lots of deadhead and low rates if you do go up there.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Totally TWISTED posted:

They try to. Not much freight comes out of that area so you're looking at lots of deadhead and low rates if you do go up there.

My company ships 3-5 trucks a week to Illinois from Massachusetts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

9axle posted:

Always the right hooks in the right holes

all the right hooks in all the right places
so yeah, they're tied down
they've got
all the right logs and all the right weightses
oh yeah, we're clearing town

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

My company ships 3-5 trucks a week to Illinois from Massachusetts.

I move freight on that lane too but when you look at the volume of freight into/out of NE compared to other areas Shampoo is seeing an accurate picture of not that many long haul trucks up there.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Secretly, I was hoping that it was our roads and drivers keeping them away.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Shampoo posted:

Our roads maybe, but not our drivers. NY drivers are significantly more aggressive than most I've encountered around Boston.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Major cities are freight black holes. LA is like that, and it has more outbound freight than other places. That and dealing with toll roads, piles and piles of loving retarded idiots, idiot lumpers and fuckasses wanting kickbacks, everybody can just have a suck of my dick.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Shampoo posted:

I know very little about the geography of Boston but at first it didn't seem fair to compare that part of Boston to Midtown Manhattan. Then I looked at a map and it looks so much worse than anything in any of the boroughs (except Staten Island) or Hudson County, NJ. Why does everything lazily wind about? :magical:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Edward IV posted:

I know very little about the geography of Boston but at first it didn't seem fair to compare that part of Boston to Midtown Manhattan. Then I looked at a map and it looks so much worse than anything in any of the boroughs (except Staten Island) or Hudson County, NJ. Why does everything lazily wind about? :magical:

Cows.

loving cow-paths.

Mormon cities are about the best to get around in, figure temple at 0,0 and everything labeled off it. 1400W 2000S etc etc.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Edward IV posted:

The story you always hear around here is that most of the roads were originally cow paths. Some of them were, but that's mostly bullshit. It's really because Boston grew up over a longer period of time and is significantly older than most other US cities, so nobody cared as much about organizing anything at the time. Additionally, much of Boston was actually built in what used to be Boston harbor. They filled in major areas to create more land for the city, so it's understandable that points where those new areas of land meet older development would be a bit chaotic.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

InterceptorV8 posted:

That and dealing with toll roads, piles and piles of loving retarded idiots, idiot lumpers and fuckasses wanting kickbacks, everybody can just have a suck of my dick.

flip a coin
if it's tails, eat a dick
if it's heads, eat that same dick plus eat a pile of poo poo

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I've been regularly traveling to Boston and the surrounding areas for around a year now (been about 8 times) and I STILL can't work my way around that loving city. One wrong turn and you're halfway to Salem before you have a chance to turn around.

It's like the city planners thought "There's this new system called GPS that drivers can use to more easily find their way around our city, how best can we gently caress with them!" and then decided to build their entire freeway infrastructure under the loving city where GPS doesn't work
:psyduck:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The King of Swag posted:

He says he's seen that before, and called it white coat syndrome, where anytime you see a doctor, your body goes full panic.

I have the same thing, and even warned him the first time I visited "I have white coat syndrome, my blood pressure reading will be a lot higher than normal". I've taken my blood pressure at home (with a higher end Omron machine), and seen 120/55 immediately before going to the dr.

Get there? 160/110. Sometimes higher, rarely lower. My doctor has asked me to keep track of it at home. I not only take it twice a day at home (and it's usually 115-130 over 60-75), but also at work (they have one of those higher end kiosks that weighs you, calculates BMI, does a vision screening, blood pressure, etc - and emails it to you afterwards) - and get nearly identical results.

That was immediately after my lunch break started the other day, so my heart rate was still a bit high from moving so much. Google Fit says I'm averaging over 14k steps/day on days I work for Wally.

If I forget my blood pressure med, it's more like 145/100.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

loving listened to a cop get outrun on the scanner.

By a Chevy Colorado.

:q:

And they completely lost the fucker.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InterceptorV8 posted:

loving listened to a cop get outrun on the scanner.

By a Chevy Colorado.

:q:

And they completely lost the fucker.

Guess Fuzzkill got the kinks worked out?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

C'mon guys, if you're gonna be bouncing on nutcup's connecting rod while driving, at least wait until you're in the middle of nowhere.

Someone's gonna be looking for a new job. Also, it's had that highway down to 1 lane for 5 hours so far. At least they managed to get the trailer onto another truck by now, but news is saying it spilled over 200 gallons of fuel. I don't even see any tanks attached to the rig anymore :stare:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there something to adjust so my trailer brakes don't grab so hard ? Trailer is from 1979, has dayton wheels, and no abs, shocks, or airbags.

In this ice, every time I have to slow down, it's like a loving action movie.

Edit: I mean, I suppose I could chain up the trailer... But that would require getting out of the truck and leaving Tinder alone for 2 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
Disconnect your blue line? Trucks from that era had a wet/dry switch on the dash that reduced air pressure in the service line just so you wouldn't have that problem. I know Wabco has an ABS retrofit kit for older trailers like yours, it probably isn't crazy difficult for a shop to install it next time you are in for brakes. Might take a couple days but I would be surprised if it took that long. I think it is pretty much stand-alone and doesn't take much in the way of wiring or new plumbing.

• Locked thread