Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Finally got my property taxes taken care of so I'm looking forward to the reduced monthly payments. The only thing I can really do now to save money is to get my wife to start bringing food to work more regularly.

Oh and it was kinda cold the other night but luckily we had some clothes to wash. The dryer literally warmed up the house to the point where we had to cut it off and open the windows to let the heat out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh and it was kinda cold the other night but luckily we had some clothes to wash. The dryer literally warmed up the house to the point where we had to cut it off and open the windows to let the heat out.

I don't know how the humidity is where you live, but watch out for mold growth if you're not blowing the wet dryer air out of your house.

Shouldn't be an issue if you do it once in a while and air it out when it gets too warm, but do it too foten and stuff will start growing on/in the walls.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Finally got my property taxes taken care of so I'm looking forward to the reduced monthly payments. The only thing I can really do now to save money is to get my wife to start bringing food to work more regularly.

Your dryer doesn't exhaust outside? If it does, check the exhaust. Sounds like you've got a clog or disconnect or ripped hose.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: Yeah it was disconnected and it looks like I need to replace the exhaust tube.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 31, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I'm working on my energy drink habit. I found that Aldis sells a very good Red Bull knockoff for about $.60/can, but I didn't buy any on my grocery run yesterday.

However, I cannot break my Clif bar habit. The Aldi version is tasty and actually a little bit better nutritionally than the Clif brand, but I just can't get my butt moving in the morning to make breakfast. A granola bar and a piece of fruit (usually a pear) are fast and easy enough that I can eat at my desk when starting my day.

I'm not a big breakfast person, but a protein shake is relatively low cost and easy as hell to make, not to mention pretty filling (that's my main beef with breakfast, seems like no matter what/how much I eat, I'm starving again in 45 minutes, so... gently caress it, I'll just wait until lunch).

You can make Greek yogurt by straining regular yogurt through a coffee filter (I set it up in one of those mesh drain trap thingies and let it drain overnight), stir in a scoop of protein powder of your desired flavor and you have a really tasty and filling breakfast. Can add some granola, cereal, or bits of fruit to keep things interesting.

But normally, breakfast for me is a mug of generic black coffee I make at home.

moana posted:

Okay, finished tallying up our wedding and honeymoon costs for anyone who is interested/pricing out their own wedding:

$1200 is actually very cheap for a wedding photographer (which I'm sure you know)!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Changing to my wife's health insurance = save ~$300/month on premiums AND get significantly cheaper healthcare. The new deductible is less than 20% of our current deductible and the max out of pocket per person is half. This is awesome as we have some known health expenses coming up which will easily take us over the deductible, and I have some sport injury stuff that I've been kind of putting off for ages because I didn't want to pay out the rear end for them!

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Is it okay to leave a job after around 6 months for the next stepping stone on your career path?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Lazerbeam posted:

Is it okay to leave a job after around 6 months for the next stepping stone on your career path?

You might be burning a bridge by doing so, but if it's worth it then you gotta do what's right for you.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Would places I apply to think anything of it?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Not if they extended you an offer anyways, and if they didn't, well, then it's no issue for your current employer!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Not a Children posted:

Upped my 401k savings rate to 20% today. With the employer match, I'm socking away nearly $1200/month. Plus, anything left over from my budget goes into my Roth IRA next year.

I'll be worth 100k before I'm 25. I'm sure some of my friends on the west coast are doing better, but I've never worked more than 40 hours without overtime pay. :colbert:

Is it really such a good idea to be putting soooo much into the 401k? I mean there are other investments and 401k isn't entirely invulnerable either.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Uncle Jam posted:

Is it really such a good idea to be putting soooo much into the 401k? I mean there are other investments and 401k isn't entirely invulnerable either.

That really depends on your employer's plan. My 401k offers enough index fund options so that I can get a decent stock/bond mix with competitive fees and be pretty diversified (or a Vanguard target XXXX retirement fund if I want it to automatically rebalance for me). Plus it's tax-deferred, so your only apples-to-apples comparison would be some sort of trad IRA and eligibility phases out with income if you participate in the 401k (which is a no-brainer for the match).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Other than an IRA, your options on tax advantaged accounts are pretty slim, and you always want to exhaust those first, so yeah, it's CC debt > 401k/403b tracked to index funds > Trad IRA > HSA stacking and other weird vehicles > post-tax investments. With mortgage and student loans in there somewhere depending on their rate.

The only time you wouldn't do 401k is if you had really lovely investment options (which never happens anymore, there's generally a mix of poo poo and good poo poo)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 12, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I've only eaten out at work once this month and I don't really feel the psychological need to get out of my office for lunch anymore, which is great. Also today was a payday so it's nice to see my networth tick up again and based on Zillow my house's value has increased 20% since I bought it a few months ago. It might be worth more than that honestly, I sold my last house probably about 10-15,000 higher than what Zillow said it was worth at the time.

I know the market value of my home doesn't really matter unless I'm selling it but it gives me the impression I made a good purchase.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It could also be less. Zillow is not a good predictor despite what they would have you believe. In a condo building they'll have similar units estimated in a range where the expensive ones are double or more the inexpensive ones, while they have literally no idea about the condition of the unit.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

It could also be less. Zillow is not a good predictor despite what they would have you believe. In a condo building they'll have similar units estimated in a range where the expensive ones are double or more the inexpensive ones, while they have literally no idea about the condition of the unit.

Yeah that's true too. Honestly it's not really worth thinking about until it comes time to sell or if I ever decide to rent the place.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I figured I was spending way too much money on sparkling water so I picked up a soda stream for $70 bucks and just make my own. It's just as good as the stuff from the store, significantly cheaper and I don't have to feel like an rear end in a top hat for wasting bottles and cans every day.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Just got my first winter-ish electricity bill in my new place… gently caress. I don't even turn it up past 68. :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
We switched over to flat rate billing and this year I'm super strict about keeping the house at 20.5 and closing all the baffles we aren't using and it's made a huge difference from last year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My bill just gets paid and I see what it actually is a few weeks later. Not at home it is at 58F, sleeping 60F, awake 67F.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

We switched over to flat rate billing and this year I'm super strict about keeping the house at 20.5 and closing all the baffles we aren't using and it's made a huge difference from last year.

I was on flat rate at my previous place and loved it! Unfortunately, you have to be in the place for a year before you can get on it again. I'll be all over that when I can. I might try calling them up next week and seeing if they can somehow arrange it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I got a bad feeling my electric bill is going to suck this month.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 25, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
My contract with Verizon is ending and I am not interested in renewing it. I have a Verizon iPhone 5S (so CDMA) and wanted to switch to a prepaid or month to month service. I am confused as to whether my phone will work on other networks? Googling around, some sites say iPhones 5 and above are transportable, other sites seem to indicate they wont. Anyone have any experience with this? Can anyone recommend a good prepaid or month to month service they have used? If I can get this to work it will cut my bill by 50-65%, based on the advertised prices... I asked Verizon about their prepaid service but the rep said I'd have to change my number switching from a contract.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
When throwing an engagement party, is it expected that the host is going to foot the bill? My gf's friend invited everyone to see him propose at a restaurant and didn't pick up the tab (opting to split it equally among 15 people). I got the sense that a few people were perturbed when the bill was passed around.

So now I'm out an unexpected $100 for 2 entrees and I didn't even get liquor :eyepop:.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Gorman Thomas posted:

When throwing an engagement party, is it expected that the host is going to foot the bill? My gf's friend invited everyone to see him propose at a restaurant and didn't pick up the tab (opting to split it equally among 15 people). I got the sense that a few people were perturbed when the bill was passed around.

So now I'm out an unexpected $100 for 2 entrees and I didn't even get liquor :eyepop:.

When throwing any party, it is expected the host will foot the bill.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
...no. If you are invited to a restaurant it is assumed everyone will pay for themselves.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I guess it varies by social group. I'd say it should have been expected everyone would pay their share unless otherwise specified. At wedding type parties I've been to, this was clearly conveyed before hand. Sometimes we (the attendees) would pick up the bride/groom/both's tabs, others all would split it... In some cases, the trust fund hostess would pick up the whole tab for everyone.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just started saving for retirement on January 1 of last year, and my 401k just went over 25k :hellyeah:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There's really nothing like watching that retirement counter go up. It's even better when you imagine it as a giant Scrooge McDuck money bin slowly filling up with coins.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My 401k just hit $99,970 today. :toot:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nocheez posted:

My 401k just hit $99,970 today. :toot:

So close, and yet... :negative:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

So close, and yet... :negative:

I'm OK with rounding up.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My contract with Verizon is ending and I am not interested in renewing it. I have a Verizon iPhone 5S (so CDMA) and wanted to switch to a prepaid or month to month service. I am confused as to whether my phone will work on other networks? Googling around, some sites say iPhones 5 and above are transportable, other sites seem to indicate they wont. Anyone have any experience with this? Can anyone recommend a good prepaid or month to month service they have used? If I can get this to work it will cut my bill by 50-65%, based on the advertised prices... I asked Verizon about their prepaid service but the rep said I'd have to change my number switching from a contract.
I went from contract to prepaid with Verizon and the sales girl in store said I could keep my current number if I wanted.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Bhodi posted:

There's really nothing like watching that retirement counter go up. It's even better when you imagine it as a giant Scrooge McDuck money bin slowly filling up with coins.

Don't get too hung up on it, though.

I've always been a good saver, but I started "saving seriously" and living much more frugally than I have in the past about a year ago. We bought a house in 2010, we've started eating at home six nights a week, and we've used a full third less power/heat than last year.

It tweaked something in me. I've always been a numbers nerd and I got seriously into MMOs early in my 20s, obsessed with making my numbers bigger. I've since quit, but when I started seeing my savings and investments go up, it started to seem like a game to me, which was interesting: I started seeing how I could challenge myself to save money. I can do the yardwork, and stop paying other people to do it. Do I need to blast the AC in my car when I drive? That non-perishable food we eat every week is half off this week, let's get a 6-month supply!

It's a weird sort of fun, but I enjoyed it, and my numbers kept going up. My wife is very much onboard. We're both stacking paper.

The downside to all this I found myself checking the market every day, sometimes even multiple times per day. I had no intention to trade, I'm a long-term dividend-focused investor, I was just compelled to watch my numbers move up and down. I would love to log in to Schwab and check the history to watch the dividends roll in.

I realized how insane this all was about a month ago. I checked my accounts and realized that pretty much nothing had changed since the last time I looked, and it was really stupid to be checking so often. I was wasting time and mentally jerking off thinking about how great a saver I was being.

For the past month and a half, I've limited myself to checking the market/my accounts to the 1st and 15th of the month. It's been harder than it should to not look at the numbers, I sort of feel like an alcoholic. Each time I shake off the desire I laugh at how stupid my brain is being, but the desire is still there. I don't want to a cheap, miserly person polishing and stacking my gold coins. I (and probably most of you!) are doing well enough to not have to think about my investments every day.

I'm very happy for everyone reaching milestones and it's fun to watch the piles grow and roll over to new digits, but don't sweat the numbers. It's all about training yourself and maintaining good habits. The money will take care of itself.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Counterpoint: a little widget of your dragon hoard 'net worth' table on mint reassures me that it's all worthwhile. I don't check individual investments, but seeing that graph/number go up and the 'projected retirement date' get closer by multiple days every single day is just amazing.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Inverse Icarus posted:

I've always been a good saver, but I started "saving seriously" and living much more frugally than I have in the past about a year ago. We bought a house in 2010, we've started eating at home six nights a week, and we've used a full third less power/heat than last year.

It tweaked something in me. I've always been a numbers nerd and I got seriously into MMOs early in my 20s, obsessed with making my numbers bigger. I've since quit, but when I started seeing my savings and investments go up, it started to seem like a game to me, which was interesting: I started seeing how I could challenge myself to save money. I can do the yardwork, and stop paying other people to do it. Do I need to blast the AC in my car when I drive? That non-perishable food we eat every week is half off this week, let's get a 6-month supply!

It's a weird sort of fun, but I enjoyed it, and my numbers kept going up. My wife is very much onboard. We're both stacking paper.

The downside to all this I found myself checking the market every day, sometimes even multiple times per day. I had no intention to trade, I'm a long-term dividend-focused investor, I was just compelled to watch my numbers move up and down. I would love to log in to Schwab and check the history to watch the dividends roll in.

I realized how insane this all was about a month ago. I checked my accounts and realized that pretty much nothing had changed since the last time I looked, and it was really stupid to be checking so often. I was wasting time and mentally jerking off thinking about how great a saver I was being.

For the past month and a half, I've limited myself to checking the market/my accounts to the 1st and 15th of the month. It's been harder than it should to not look at the numbers, I sort of feel like an alcoholic. Each time I shake off the desire I laugh at how stupid my brain is being, but the desire is still there. I don't want to a cheap, miserly person polishing and stacking my gold coins. I (and probably most of you!) are doing well enough to not have to think about my investments every day.

I'm very happy for everyone reaching milestones and it's fun to watch the piles grow and roll over to new digits, but don't sweat the numbers. It's all about training yourself and maintaining good habits. The money will take care of itself.

This is a great post, and addresses something I've started to be concerned about as well. I have been overly concerned with saving every penny, checking every change on Mint, etc. I've been weening myself off, going from checking mint throughout the day to every few days and will probably go to once a week soon. Too much time worrying about the future results in lost opportunities to enjoy the present.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
One of the best things I ever did was when I removed my investment accounts from Mint and just started listing the account as a cash asset. Every 6 months/year I'll log into Vanguard/my 401k and update everything. This way I'm not constantly playing the numbers game and it will reduce my risk of making emotionally based decisions with my finances.

I still play the numbers game of course (woohoo look at that net worth, low mortgage, and non existent debt!) but not with my investments.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 26, 2014

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Inverse Icarus posted:

I love playing with numbers and spreadsheets too, so I feel where you're coming from. I've noticed that I go through periods where I'm checking things a lot, then other times where it's just autopilot. I've found that once I realized that the number doesn't really change that much throughout the day, I'm less inclined to look throughout the day and just check it once at night, after the markets have closed for the day. That's also my time to make sure things are categorized correctly.

I did just recently start a couple of new spreadsheets that compiles some notes I had from various time periods with my salary info and net worth numbers so I could have it all in one place. It's fun for me to do those, as long as I don't become obsessed. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I listened to a podcast the other day featuring MMM and it felt good to hear him say he didn't keep a budget. Once I effectively changed my lifestyle/psychology I no longer had a use for them.

I do have a little budget on Mint and I check my transactions but I don't do the whole time consuming spreadsheet deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
For my invesments I just list everything as a fraction of the index market cap. This way I don't care if prices go up or down, I still own 0.0000005% of America. And some Europe too.