Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Doctor Butts posted:

It's the cop's fault for putting himself into that situation that he couldn't control.

It's also the cop's fault for murdering the suspect

Oh, so you were there to know exactly who's fault it was?

Im sorry but Michael Brown was no loving angel. His death could/should have been avoided, yes. But people have got to stop laying all the blame on the cop. Both parties acted dumb. Unfortunately, one of them paid with his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dalael posted:

Its not trolling but common loving sense. Assaulting an officer will ALWAYS end up badly.
It doesnt matter if the cop is justified or not in using deadly force. The fact of the matter is, once you get shot, who is right or wrong is ths least of your worries.

Just dont do it.

cops take worse hits to the face breaking up bar fights every loving day, how do they manage not to blow everyone away around them?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
People torched a car dealership last night in St. Louis? Guess that happened after I went to sleep.

Some pictures of last night: http://mashable.com/2014/11/25/ferguson-protest-photos/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

prahanormal posted:

The amount of obveous, low effort trolling in this thread is both disheartening and entirely expected.

Honestly at some point people need to give up the idea that everyone racist on the internet is just being ironic and accept there is a lot of racist people that got taught early on that saying "it's a JOKE" shields them when they express their actual opinions.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

rscott posted:

cops take worse hits to the face breaking up bar fights every loving day, how do they manage not to blow everyone away around them?

Go to mostly white bars.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dalael posted:

Im sorry but Michael Brown was no loving angel.

If you aren't trolling you sure are plugged into the lovely talking point hivemind.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Honestly at some point people need to give up the idea that everyone racist on the internet is just being ironic and accept there is a lot of racist people that got taught early on that saying "it's a JOKE" shields them when they express their actual opinions.

Seriously. If the last six years have taught me anything it's that there was an absurd amount of racist sentiment bubbling under the surface of white America that was barely constrained by the fact that being labeled a racist was a social hindrance.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 25, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

It's also the cop's fault for murdering the suspect
It's everybody's fault the gun was fired, except for the man who actually had his finger on the trigger.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Dalael posted:

Yes we do, the cop admitted to putting himself in that situation with no backup vs Black Hulk Hogan. One can only wonder what protection a Gun and 1 ton SUV might offer against a top rope elbow drop from this 18 year old.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dalael posted:

Im sorry but Michael Brown was no loving angel. His death could/should have been avoided, yes. But people have got to stop laying all the blame on the cop. Both parties acted dumb. Unfortunately, one of them paid with his life.

If the cop had initiated contact at a safe distance, to where Brown couldn't just shut the door on him and pin him like an idiot in his own cruiser, it could have been avoided too. He could have kept the suspect at a safe distance and be able to control the situation.

Instead, he acted like an idiot and had to shoot his way out of a situation he caused, kind of like Zimmerman.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Radish posted:

If you aren't trolling you sure are plugged into the lovely talking point hivemind.

Im in the opinion that this whole story is not just a one sided affair like many people are trying to portray it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
At the risk of being flame sprayed, it is entirely possible that the 12 people who sat through months of evidence might know more about the case than any of us here.

Apparently all the evidence is going to be released under the Missouri Sunshine law. That's a good thing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dalael posted:

Im in the opinion that this whole story is not just a one sided affair like many people are trying to portray it.

Well you're wrong :)

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Dum Cumpster posted:

Aren't cops in most countries trained to deal with non-rational people without shooting them?

Sane countries, yes. Training for police varies from state to state and county to county, some receive a mere several weeks of academy training before being unleashed on an unsuspecting public that takes Law & Order as canon for how the justice system works (valiant cops with steel nerves, brilliant attorneys who always do the right thing, wise judges, and so on).

As you can tell from his deranged "Hulk Hogan" statements, the irrational person was the guy in uniform with a gun. Wilson is, quite simply, a mentally ill person given a gun and impunity from the law.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dalael posted:

Im sorry but Michael Brown was no loving angel.

Heeeeeere we go again :siren:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"[name of dead person] was no angel" is a standard bullshit excuse to vilify the dead person as if some prior minor crime or other inconsequential detail validates whatever absurd story is established. It couldn't be any more stereotypical and trying to claim that this is an attempt to be non-partisan is absurd.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

9 jurors needed for the decision

9 were white, 3 were black

:lol: I wonder what the breakdown was

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Dalael posted:

you are right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

At the risk of being flame sprayed, it is entirely possible that the 12 people who sat through months of evidence might know more about the case than any of us here.

Apparently all the evidence is going to be released under the Missouri Sunshine law. That's a good thing.

The problem is that prosecutors don't generally do what the prosecutor in this case did. That is to say, they choose which evidence to present to a grand jury; they sure as poo poo don't just lay it all out there. The DA was supposed to act as a advocate for the state and the victim, in this case he completely abrogated his duty as a prosecutor, either because he was chickenshit and didn't want to get in trouble or because he didn't think that the case should be prosecuted. So basically they shotgunned every piece of evidence they had at 12 laypeople and did nothing to build a story or theory of a case.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Honestly, the only lesson to be learned here that everyone should agree on is that police should wear cameras. It has been proven to reduce complaints against police and incidents of police brutality in multiple cities that have implemented it by making police act more responsibly knowing that they're constantly on the record, and giving them the means to refute false accusations of misconduct. Its win-win for everyone except corrupt cops, so you know exactly what kind of police force you have based on their level of opposition to such an idea.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think, after looking at the evidence, that this is a terrible case for those trying to make hay of trigger happy cops. There are more egregious examples of cop violence pretty much every week, and often more than one a week. We just saw one in Cleveland with a rookie cop gunning down a little kid.

The only reason this story even propelled into the national spotlight is because of early (and erroneous according to witnesses/autopsy) reports that he had his back turned and his hands up when he was shot. Neither one appears to be the truth, at least it does not sound like even a single witness backed up that chain of events. This was a robbery suspect fleeing the scene of an apparent crime who had a violent confrontation with the officer, then there was a pursuit, and there was again a second confrontation with the officer where most of the witnesses said that Michael Brown was the instigator. He certainly did not surrender peacefully. He did the exact opposite.

There are so many cases of police violence to get pissed off about. It's time to move on from this one.

I think what is the real story here is the police reaction to protests, which was asymmetric and violent. It trampled the first amendment both for reporters and citizens alike.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Dalael posted:

I think the anger with the police goes beyond Ferguson. This same incident likely happens often in other communities, but gets no press. And if the minority isn't being shot at or beaten? Then maybe they are getting a body cavity search after being stopped for a minor traffic violation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't even care about the protests turning violent at this point. Peaceful protesting has gone on for 50 years and we're still in the same state. I can't even care any more about pretending that throwing rocks or bottles at the cops is wrong. Not when the institution of American police has made itself perfectly deserving.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Z is still streaming in Clayton at the courthouse. I will be there shortly. http://www.ustream.tv/z

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

ActusRhesus posted:

the 12 people who sat through months of evidence

The 12 people including 9 who were white in a county which is 80% African American which returned a decision reached 0.007% of the time.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

The problem is that prosecutors don't generally do what the prosecutor in this case did. That is to say, they choose which evidence to present to a grand jury; they sure as poo poo don't just lay it all out there. The DA was supposed to act as a advocate for the state and the victim, in this case he completely abrogated his duty as a prosecutor, either because he was chickenshit and didn't want to get in trouble or because he didn't think that the case should be prosecuted. So basically they shotgunned every piece of evidence they had at 12 laypeople and did nothing to build a story or theory of a case.

Maybe having a prosecutor that fantasized about being a cop isn't the best idea when your goal is to prosecute a cop.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ActusRhesus posted:

Well this is already out. http://apps.stlpublicradio.org/ferguson-project/evidence.html

So I went to bed before midnight, what's the summary of last night? Lotta buildings burned, was a cop actually killed?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Dalael posted:

You're right, there is more than one side to this. Which side is right? Well, I have an idea.

What if we had, like, a meeting, like a legit one, with lawyers and poo poo, where we can pore through some details, pull out what really happened, all in like an orderly and lawful way, and see whether or not Darren Wilson is guilty of breaking laws. We could try it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Rotten Cookies posted:

What if we had, like, a meeting, like a legit one, with lawyers and poo poo, where we can pore through some details, pull out what really happened, all in like an orderly and lawful way, and see whether or not Darren Wilson is guilty of breaking laws. We could try it.

no gently caress you, no indictment for my man Wilson.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 25, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ActusRhesus posted:

The case was specifically about if it was LEGAL. I believe very much it was legal, which is the whole issue. A legal system where it's pretty much consequence free for cops to shoot blacks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hopefully the family can get some of the $432,000 racists donated to Officer Wilson though crowd funding in a civil case.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Well this is already out. http://apps.stlpublicradio.org/ferguson-project/evidence.html

So I went to bed before midnight, what's the summary of last night? Lotta buildings burned, was a cop actually killed?

Thanks for the link, have any fact checking sites skimmed through it? It's a lot of reading....

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The case was specifically about if it was LEGAL. I believe very much it was legal, which is the whole issue. A legal system where it's pretty much consequence free for cops to shoot blacks.

The quote I'm seeing people post is "A system cannot fail those it was never built to protect," from W.E.B. DuBois.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Darren Wilson shot an unarmed black kid and got 10+ years worth of salary for it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

No, forum posters know more than the people in that courtroom. Piss off!!!!

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Pomp posted:

Darren Wilson shot an unarmed black kid and got 10+ years worth of salary for it.

He got donations for being crucified by the media and to bankroll a possible legal defense, not for the shooting.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

"No, sorry black Americans, this case is a pretty lousy one to rally around in order to protest the systemic and institutionalized racism that pervades your every waking moment and affects virtually every decision you make in day-to-day life. Maybe you should wait for a better one?? Maybe for a little girl with pigtails who gets shot by a state trooper for playing hop-scotch too close to a freeway?? IDK."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

No, forum posters know more than the people in that courtroom. Piss off!!!!

So your position is that the American justice system is infallible.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Narciss posted:

He got donations for being crucified by the media and to bankroll a possible legal defense, not for the shooting.

Sure.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

You're right, there is more than one side to this. Which side is right? Well, I have an idea.

Exactly. I mean retards like Dalael don't seem to comprehend that this was for a simple incitement, and fucktards in Ferguson can't even do that right. I mean hell, just get a trial started and see where the evidence takes you. Lord knows that normal people get indited (tried and convicted) with far less. http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/02/18/stand-your-ground-for-black-man/

(Guy gets 25 years for shooting someone in the leg in self defense did not kill him, person who it him admits that he was going to just beat on anyone within reach, this from the state that brought you the Zimmerman fiasco)

tezcat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Welp looks like I'm gonna have to unfriend some racist conservative extended family members today

• Locked thread