Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I drink in that bar all of the time. Drunk FNM is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Reene posted:

Couple pages ago but my LGS has a bar (called Critical Sip) inside of it. They have to shut down the bar if they use the tables in that area. That generally only happens for prereleases though, and people move from their assigned seats to the bar area to have a drink during a round all the time.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I drink in that bar all of the time. Drunk FNM is the best.

Wut up PDX buddies :hfive:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Now I'm wondering if I've ever talked to either of you at FNM. :tinfoil:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'd expect a big stratification if they printed a Legacy Masters style set, but as it stands a lot of people simply aren't buying into the format at all, figuring (incorrectly in my opinion) no duals = no shot.

When your only budget options are playing burn, playing dredge, or not playing at all, I don't blame anyone for not playing at all.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Reene posted:

Now I'm wondering if I've ever talked to either of you at FNM. :tinfoil:

Can't you tell a goon by their smell?

Oh wait, nevermind, it's FNM. The other players smell just as bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Equilibrium posted:

When your only budget options are playing burn, playing dredge, or not playing at all, I don't blame anyone for not playing at all.

You're ignoring a ton of other decks, and also the fact that Dredge is actually pretty sweet. It takes a special kind of maniac to play it though. I could never play it, but some of my favorite games are against my friend on Dredge. I never feel like I'm winning but I'm not quite losing either. It leads to very tense games full of interesting choices and mind games.

Of course sometimes I don't draw a Deathrite or a counter and I die on turn 2. Sometimes I do draw them and still die on turn 2. It's an absurdly powerful deck. I'd bet that a perfect dredge hand beats any other deck's perfect hand, barring things like main deck Leyline of the Void.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
LSV story time in his latest CFB article. RE: the deck he and Cheon played at 2006 Nationals (Solar Flare):

quote:

The deck seemed sweet, and had all the things we were looking for: card draw, Dragons, more card draw, Remands, and even card draw. We decided to test it the best way we could, given the lack of time.

That of course meant playing six games of Solar Flare against my Vintage Welder Stax deck, but with the playing field evened by Solar Flare getting to go first and take 3 turns in a row. After crushing Stax, we had our deck:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

You're ignoring a ton of other decks, and also the fact that Dredge is actually pretty sweet. It takes a special kind of maniac to play it though. I could never play it, but some of my favorite games are against my friend on Dredge. I never feel like I'm winning but I'm not quite losing either. It leads to very tense games full of interesting choices and mind games.

Of course sometimes I don't draw a Deathrite or a counter and I die on turn 2. Sometimes I do draw them and still die on turn 2. It's an absurdly powerful deck. I'd bet that a perfect dredge hand beats any other deck's perfect hand, barring things like main deck Leyline of the Void.

How do you lose to dredge turn 2? Put some loving relics in your sideboard.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Hellsau posted:

Can't you tell a goon by their smell?

Oh wait, nevermind, it's FNM. The other players smell just as bad.

There's really only one super goony dude at Guardian Games, actually. It doesn't even smell really bad in there!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Reene posted:

There's really only one super goony dude at Guardian Games, actually. It doesn't even smell really bad in there!

ahahaha there are at least 17 super goony dudes in there at any given time, several of them behind the counter.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I actually really like all the employees there and they're all really nice to me v:shobon:v

I mean it's a given everyone there is a huge dork, but supergoon is its own kind of offensive personality.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

If I were of a paranoid frame of mind, I would see a connection between the turnout and the Legacy/Modern/Standard split in the upcoming Star City Open schedule.

Consider: Legacy as a competitive format is supported basically entirely by Star City. PTQs are always Standard or Limited (or Modern, sometimes). GP NJ was designed to be the maximally-sized Legacy tournament that the Magic community can support. Everything from location to promotion to scheduling was designed to absolutely maximize the number of people who showed. This is as big as a Legacy event can get in the current environment.

The Open schedule comes out and there's as much Modern as Legacy, but the vast majority of it is Standard. Coupled with the statement that SCG is aiming for events to be big, multi-day cons rather than the traditional tournament model, this implies that, as big as GP NJ was, they want to go even bigger in the future. They believe, rightly or wrongly, that nothing they do can create a Legacy event larger than GP NJ. So they're going to run Standard, which can support larger events.

Legacy's not dead or dying. It's inherently not as healthy a format as Standard or Modern, if you define health by growth potential, but it's not going anywhere. The question really is whether it will stratify into T1 decks running increasingly expensive and difficult to obtain staples (duals, Force) and T2 decks running everything else? I'd expect a big stratification if they printed a Legacy Masters style set, but as it stands a lot of people simply aren't buying into the format at all, figuring (incorrectly in my opinion) no duals = no shot.

there really is no reason to believe that t1 decks will stratify into super expensive types. right now some of the best decks in the format are cheap (u/r delver) or less expensive than some standard decks (burn)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A big flaming stink posted:

there really is no reason to believe that t1 decks will stratify into super expensive types. right now some of the best decks in the format are cheap (u/r delver) or less expensive than some standard decks (burn)

If the legacy playerbase were to increase dramatically (say, in the case of a hypothetical "Legacy Masters" release), you'd definitely see some stratification into decks that rely on reserved-list cards and decks that do not (or "budget" variants that are still reasonably competitive without them), solely due to cost constraints. UR Delver might be affordable now, but how expensive would Volcanics get if another thousand people appeared wanting to play the deck?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's fine. Just run steam vents if you don't have the volcanic islands.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

It's fine. Just run steam vents if you don't have the volcanic islands.

Aaron Forsythe has said this exact thing (but used Fountains as his example). One day if it keeps growing people will begin to do this.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Aaron Forsythe has said this exact thing (but used Fountains as his example). One day if it keeps growing people will begin to do this.

Those people better be packing meaningful anti-Burn hate, or they're going to find themselves facing down twenty years of single-purpose evolution starting at 16 life.

Speaking of, why doesn't burn see any specific hate yet?

e: Apparently Mr. Bahra ran two slots of anti-Red in his sideboard in his GP win. Makes sense.

Niton fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 25, 2014

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I'm going to run Overgrown Tombs instead of Bayous in my Elves deck, at least for the time being. It doesn't change the price tag on Gaea's Cradle, but it does save me a good ~$280 on the rest of the deck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Whoever mentioned someone selling the Quinton Hoover stuff on eBay PM me. I might have picked up a few lots and if you want some of the duplicates in them I'm willing to share some for a fellow fan.

I collect some of the magic artists. I have a few pieces form Melissa Benson as well, she was one of my favorites. I'm still trying to track down some Rebecca Guay art.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 25, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Breakthrough. In fact, Relic is not a great choice against Dredge because they can cast Breakthrough turn 2 on the play before your Relic is able to exile their graveyard. Some of the builds running around can even win on turn 1 with Faithless Looting and Lion's Eye Diamond.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I mean, your solution seems to be bringing in a card that doesn't do anything until the turn after I've already died, so I probably won't be doing that. Not to mention that sideboarding is generally frowned upon in game 1. If you have some gameplan that saves me from 18 2/2 zombies on turn 1 on the play, I might take that into consideration. And if you've found a way to beat a double LED, double Faithless Looting, double Dredger, land hand, well, good on you. I don't generally see hands with triple Force.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Niton posted:

Those people better be packing meaningful anti-Burn hate, or they're going to find themselves facing down twenty years of single-purpose evolution starting at 16 life.

e: Apparently Mr. Bahra ran two slots of anti-Red in his sideboard in his GP win. Makes sense.

Tons of players are running cards like blue blast and kor firewalker as well.
And Bahra won the open, not the gp.

quote:

Good luck winning with a few relics in your sideboard. That card is pretty terrible against dredge unless you get super lucky and they mill all 4 bridges on turn one.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 25, 2014

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Niton posted:

I'm pretty sure he also ran 0 cards from the Reserve List.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

standard.deviant posted:

What event was this? Wondering what kind of deck can be good without the reserve list cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DarkRider09 posted:

What event was this? Wondering what kind of deck can be good without the reserve list cards.

You just make your deck one colour and then you don't need to worry about dual lands. Even then, it's still over $1000 of manabase.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Niton posted:

standard.deviant posted:

DarkRider09 posted:

What event, indeed?

Nobody named Bahra has ever won a GP.
Brian Braun-Duin won GP:NJ.
He didn't have 2 pieces of anti-red in his board.
He had 6 cards from the reserve list.

Did the thread just get high as gently caress or something?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

DarkRider09 posted:

Marc Konig (noted streamer Bahra) won the latest Legacy Open with Death & Taxes.

TIL Karakas isn't on the Reserved List! They should just print the MTGO Legacy starter decks in paper.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

DarkRider09 posted:

SCG Legacy Open. Death and Taxes. Rishadan Port, Wasteland, and Karakas are all not reserve listed. $1000 mana base that could be reprinted. Would make D&T a very inexpensive deck if it was.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DarkRider09 posted:

Wasteland and FoW aren't on the reserve list, so basically any monocolored deck that doesn't run tabernacle.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

SCG Legacy Open. Death and Taxes. Rishadan Port, Wasteland, and Karakas are all not reserve listed. $1000 mana base that could be reprinted. Would make D&T a very inexpensive deck if it was.

I really wonder why none have those have been reprinted in lets say, Commander product, or Conspiracy.

I mean Karakas could be kind of stupid in commander product, so that could have gone in conspiracy, but wasteland and port are, well, relatively fair in a big mana format like commander, so printing them wouldn't be that big a hurdle.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

I really wonder why none have those have been reprinted in lets say, Commander product, or Conspiracy.

I mean Karakas could be kind of stupid in commander product, so that could have gone in conspiracy, but wasteland and port are, well, relatively fair in a big mana format like commander, so printing them wouldn't be that big a hurdle.

Again, still baffled Wasteland wasn't in FTV Annihilation

AgentAO
May 31, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Karakas is banned in Commander (for good reason), and I could see why they wouldn't want anyone to play with Port ever again. They have no excuse for not putting Wasteland in the commander pre-cons though.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The answer like always is "supporting (insert non rotating format here) via reprints is a very/relatively low priority"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AgentAO posted:

Karakas is banned in Commander (for good reason), and I could see why they wouldn't want anyone to play with Port ever again. They have no excuse for not putting Wasteland in the commander pre-cons though.

They are very scared of reprinting anything over a certain market price. How many times have they reprinted stuff that is over 100 bucks? I can only think of Goyf and Jace. 50 bucks and up is also pretty rare. The Onslaught fetches were a big step for them. I would expect a Wasteland or Karakas reprints in the next 5 years. If they never reprint FoW in paper ever again, it kind of shows they want Legacy to die.

quick edit: You're basically seeing the new reprint policy in action ever since Theros. 1-3 valued reprints a year. Last year was Mutavault, Scooze, and Thoughtseize, this year is Fetches, next year they will find something else. Maybe Goblin Guide will show up in a set. Whenever Flashback is brought back we can probably see Snapcaster again (with new art at Mythic.) They are just super cautious about reprinting things that have format-warping power.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 25, 2014

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I think "want Legacy to die" gives them too much credit. I suspect Legacy and Vintage are considered unsupported formats that just happen to have larger-than-average player bases compared to something like Block. Why would they bother trying to kill off Legacy when they can just ignore it, reap the incidental profits of the SCG circuit, and let it die peacefully in bed surrounded by its loved ones? It's not like they're devoting resources to testing for it anyways.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

They are very scared of reprinting anything over a certain market price. How many times have they reprinted stuff that is over 100 bucks? I can only think of Goyf and Jace. 50 bucks and up is also pretty rare. The Onslaught fetches were a big step for them. I would expect a Wasteland or Karakas reprints in the next 5 years. If they never reprint FoW in paper ever again, it kind of shows they want Legacy to die.

I can definitely see them wanting Legacy to die, the problem is Legacy just has much better gameplay than well, any other format. There are more difficult and meaningful choices to be made and a wider diversity of deck types. I enjoy current standard, but to be frank its a shallow game compared legacy. Modern could be close, but the lack of good selection and utility lands, specifically wasteland, make the format a bit shallower.

I would enjoy modern infinitely more if Wasteland was available to play with, I dislike how greedy decks can be with their mana without really having to play around any reprisal.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Again, still baffled Wasteland wasn't in FTV Annihilation

Why would Wasteland be in a sweeper-oriented supplemental product? :confused:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Why would Wasteland be in a sweeper-oriented supplemental product? :confused:

I like to pretend it's the "Blow poo poo Up" supplemental product instead. Ignore me.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if M16 was just loaded with value rares as a farewell to Core Sets.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

I like to pretend it's the "Blow poo poo Up" supplemental product instead.
That is what it was originally promoted as, I think? "15 super-weapons from Magic's past" or something.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Really, the missing reprint from that box is Damnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Legacy weapon would have been pretty rad if that were the case.

Also, since I can't find it anywhere, can someone tell me exactly what was the Legacy Weapon? I only know it was used by either the Weatherlight or Urza to defeat the Phyrexians and even then I might be wrong.

• Locked thread