Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Just heard about the new dark souls 2 stuff. What all can I expect from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fibby Boy posted:

My dick in your rear end.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

SHISHKABOB posted:

Prepare To Die(alate your sphincter)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fibby Boy posted:

More VaatiVidya videos.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sounds good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All these people saying "the x thing says this and actually here's what's really goin on" without any kind of link or source sure are reputable posters I will pay mind to

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I am very down for dark souls 2 enhanced edition even if it ends up meaning I'll have to buy the whole game again

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The content has to be pretty impressive for me to be willing to pay again to just get more giggling NPCS :colbert:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
SM is being removed? Also does this mean no fourth dlc?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Will the PS4 and PC versions look visually identical? Or will DX11 have a leg up?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The blue smelter demon is now the tesselated smelter demon.

Gaze at how rough looking he is and how many pointy bits he has!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Iretep posted:

The content has to be pretty impressive for me to be willing to pay again to just get more giggling NPCS :colbert:

You're getting the new NPCs free of charge. It's just a few improvements (which haven't really been elaborated on, I think just graphics and the fact that you can play with up to 6 people online?) that are limited to next-gen. At this point I'm not sure if there's official word on whether the updated enemy placement will be limited to the next-gen versions or also imported into the base PS3/X360/PC version of the game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

SM is being removed?

Is it? :catstare:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

I saw a post earlier in the thread claiming it and I was hoping for a source.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Who the hell even knows. They just mentioned "improved matchmaking" which could mean anything from "more SM tiers" to "we reverted back to the Dark Souls 1 system". That said, I wouldn't get my hopes too high there.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Who the hell even knows. They just mentioned "improved matchmaking" which could mean anything from "more SM tiers" to "we reverted back to the Dark Souls 1 system". That said, I wouldn't get my hopes too high there.

drat, I was hoping for an official confirmation because the removal of SM matchmaking is the difference between "GOTY every year" and "I'll play the new content and then shelve it"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Azuth0667 posted:

I saw a post earlier in the thread claiming it and I was hoping for a source.

They said "from the sound of it" meaning in their opinion. That's not a claim. Please squash this hope before it starts so that it doesn't get widely spread around.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Alabaster White posted:

drat, I was hoping for an official confirmation because the removal of SM matchmaking is the difference between "GOTY every year" and "I'll play the new content and then shelve it"
That sure isn't an overreaction to a minor inconvenience.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zedd posted:

It's not minor if you want to do PVP/co-op and don't want to or can not edit your SM.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've finished 2 full coop playthroughs using the name rings and holy gently caress its so much better than the terrible poo poo DS1 did that was an unbearable broken pain in the rear end. Even with the few PVP experiences i've had SM beats the old SL poo poo by miles. I enjoyed my 8 Dark Souls playthroughs but man, either people have hilariously rose tinted glasses or they had a very different experience than me.

Zedd posted:

I also like that both scenarios have him buying the game anyway. :allears:

Likely won't rebuy the DX11 version unless it's some insane visual upgrade (trailer didn't look different at all compared to simply using GeDoSaTo), but they'll hopefully go into more detail about how much content "new npc/enemies" really means.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Genocyber posted:

It's not minor if you want to do PVP/co-op and don't want to or can not edit your SM.

Let's not forget early on in the game's life that when you killed a hacker that invaded you, you would get a large amount of souls and it would gently caress up any invasions or co-op you had planned. SL never did this and never punished you for choosing a niche of game play you liked, such as pvp or co-op.

SM apologists are clinically retarded.

E: DS1 multiplayer sucked because of gfwl.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 25, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zedd posted:

Soul Memory completely destroys all PVP longevity and makes it really unfun anyway because everyone ends up with massively inflated stats and the same 5 setups over and over.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
At least there won't be hacking or save editing on PS4/XB1. Until there is.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

No, it sucked on consoles too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if it will be worth buying the new PC version. From what I can tell, patch 1.1 will be bringing all of the actual new content and matchmaking to the current PC version, but not the DirectX 11 support and improved visuals, right?

Do we know if the two PC "versions" will use the same matchmaking pool, or will it be split between players of the current PC version and players of Scholars of the First Sin? (This is probably a stupid question.)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Harrow posted:

I wonder if it will be worth buying the new PC version. From what I can tell, patch 1.1 will be bringing all of the actual new content and matchmaking to the current PC version, but not the DirectX 11 support and improved visuals, right?

Do we know if the two PC "versions" will use the same matchmaking pool, or will it be split between players of the current PC version and players of Scholars of the First Sin? (This is probably a stupid question.)

It seems relevant if you're on the old version of the game trying to challenge people to a duel and get rolled up on by a group of 6.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wonder if number of enemies will scale with number of summons?So spidergeddon only happens when you summon in people.

"More."
"More what?"
"More spiders"
"That enough?"
"No."

And that is how Freja became nito but spiders.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wonder if number of enemies will scale with number of summons?

That sounds sensible. There are a lot of added enemies in some areas of the trailer (in the Gutter it's especially noticeable), more than what would be sensible for a solo run.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Let's not forget early on in the game's life that when you killed a hacker that invaded you, you would get a large amount of souls and it would gently caress up any invasions or co-op you had planned. SL never did this and never punished you for choosing a niche of game play you liked, such as pvp or co-op.

SM apologists are clinically retarded.

Pretty much this. I was able to get plenty of summons when I did playthroughs on the PS3 version of Dark Souls, and this was late 2013 so well after the population started to die off.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

No, it sucked on consoles too.

Nope, see above.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Nope, see above.

I own the PS3 version of the game and no, summons aren't really easy to get at all. Easier than PC, maybe, but the system was incredibly inconsistent.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And that is how Freja became nito but spiders.

Little did we know that system limitations forced the developers to shelve several ambitious concepts, all of which will now re-emerge due to the greater processing powers of the new consoles.

- Each spider in the Freya bossfight will now actually be a smaller (but not much smaller) Freya, sweeping laser included.
- The Pursuer will actually pursue you until you've killed him, even up to and beyond bonfires.
- Throne Watcher and Throne Defender are joined by Throne Polisher and Throne Warmer.
- Aava is backed up by up to two invaders, only they're permanently invisible.
- Sinh's corrosive aura now also breaks everything you haven't equipped.
- You can now be drawn into up to six different Rat Covenant worlds at the same time, controlling yourself in each screen at the same time.
- The new lighting engine actually fills the screen with blinding light whenever someone is praising the sun.
- Mirror Knight now summons another Mirror Knight who is mere seconds away from summoning as well, creating a massive homing chain of summoned Mirror Knights. You can only win by killing him before summoning. Get gud scrub.
- The Velstadt and Raime fights are now expanded by an affection system, determining if one will join you in the fight against the other. At max affection, they will remove their helmets and will have been beautiful all along.
- The Gutter expanded to four times its size. Literally, scaled up by four. Including the gaps in the floor.
- Black Gulch statues now shoot Mirror Knights mere seconds away from summoning.
- Additional feature of respec'ing other players.
- The remaining four pets of the Ivory King turn out to be four invisible Smelter Demons in a blizzard.
- Soul Memory replaced by Roll Memory and Well What Is It Memory.
- Rotten fight is now actually good.
- The Emerald Herald's dialogue will be slowed down by 400%, to help people understand the lore better.
- King Vendrick will now be explicitly referred to by various NPCs as "he who linked the flames", "The Chosen Undead", "Father of the Abyss", "Frampt" and "Crestfallen Warrior", occasionally in the same sentence.
- Old Dragonslayer now backed up by his long-missing companion, Very Old Dragonslayer.

...yeah.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
^ There's enough thread title potential there to last well into Dark Souls IV. That's hilarious. "Emerald Herald's dialogue will be slowed down by 400%" has me dying.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
And they say Something Awful humor is dead.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

- The Pursuer will actually pursue you until you've killed him, even up to and beyond bonfires.
- The new lighting engine actually fills the screen with blinding light whenever someone is praising the sun.
- The Velstadt and Raime fights are now expanded by an affection system, determining if one will join you in the fight against the other. At max affection, they will remove their helmets and will have been beautiful all along.
- King Vendrick will now be explicitly referred to by various NPCs as "he who linked the flames", "The Chosen Undead", "Father of the Abyss", "Frampt" and "Crestfallen Warrior", occasionally in the same sentence.
- Old Dragonslayer now backed up by his long-missing companion, Very Old Dragonslayer.

Unironically like all these.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Torquemadras posted:

Little did we know that system limitations forced the developers to shelve several ambitious concepts, all of which will now re-emerge due to the greater processing powers of the new consoles.

- Each spider in the Freya bossfight will now actually be a smaller (but not much smaller) Freya, sweeping laser included.
- Throne Watcher and Throne Defender are joined by Throne Polisher and Throne Warmer.
- Aava is backed up by up to two invaders, only they're permanently invisible.
- Sinh's corrosive aura now also breaks everything you haven't equipped.
- You can now be drawn into up to six different Rat Covenant worlds at the same time, controlling yourself in each screen at the same time.
- Mirror Knight now summons another Mirror Knight who is mere seconds away from summoning as well, creating a massive homing chain of summoned Mirror Knights. You can only win by killing him before summoning. Get gud scrub.
- The Gutter expanded to four times its size. Literally, scaled up by four. Including the gaps in the floor.
- Black Gulch statues now shoot Mirror Knights mere seconds away from summoning.
- The remaining four pets of the Ivory King turn out to be four invisible Smelter Demons in a blizzard.
- The Emerald Herald's dialogue will be slowed down by 400%, to help people understand the lore better.

...yeah.
I want all of these, i would pay a lot of money

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardboard Box posted:

I am very down for dark souls 2 enhanced edition even if it ends up meaning I'll have to buy the whole game again

Same my only worry is any split with the multiplayer community.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Same my only worry is any split with the multiplayer community.

My guess is that it won't split it on PC, because the current PC version will be getting a patch to bring all of the balance changes, matchmaking changes, and story content that the new version gets. It looks like the new PC version's only real difference is DirectX 11 and the new graphical stuff. I could be wrong about that, but that's the impression I'm getting. And if that's the case, I can't see any reason to split the multiplayer pools on the same platform.

Torquemadras posted:

The deepest lore.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Just call Vendrick the Sun's Firstborn and change his design to have smiley suns crudely painted all over his armor.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Genocyber posted:

Pretty much this. I was able to get plenty of summons when I did playthroughs on the PS3 version of Dark Souls, and this was late 2013 so well after the population started to die off.

Nope, see above.

The server based matchmaking REALLY helped DS2, though. Never once was I in a situation where the "summoning phantom" line was blinking on the screen and then 60s later: summoning failed.

If we had that but no SM, it would be great. I think SM is too inherently built into the game for them to get rid of it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They should also add a Santa Claus NPC to Eleum Loyce to make it a complete Secret of Mana tribute area