Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
Selling a Contax T2 in the Dorkroom Buy/Sell thread. The Mercedes state car of 35mm P+S

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=433859948

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My friends drinking. Processed with an amazing filter I found.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Took my Rollei 35 SE and loaded it up with some Ilford XP2 on a trip. I know it's not technically a point and shoot since you have to focus and have manual settings but gently caress you.

Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Denmark by Cacator, on Flickr

Copenhagen by Cacator, on Flickr

Berliner Dom, Spree by Cacator, on Flickr

Bauhaus Archiv, Berlin by Cacator, on Flickr

Markthal, Rotterdam by Cacator, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Getting caught up on old scans. I was given a Lomo LC-A and took it out on one of my motorbike trips when I was living in rural Japan:

Look at how laughably soft those corners are. Doesn't seem to do radically better when stopped down. I still kinda like it though (used to have an OG Russian one when I was 19-20), think I'll keep it around and run the occasional roll through it.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
So the Olympus XA lives up to the hype, you don't even need to focus and it still comes out pretty sharp.

I don't usually do "dude walking past wall" but the colours work.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

deaders posted:

So the Olympus XA lives up to the hype, you don't even need to focus and it still comes out pretty sharp.

I don't usually do "dude walking past wall" but the colours work.

Yes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

deaders posted:

Absolutely, mine has definitely earned a place in my travel kit. GS645 folder with a normal-ish Planar, plus the XA for wide - very light, very small, and I get a shitload of versatility out of it in terms of available FoV and multiple films, meters, etc.

It's also pretty wicked in low light, especially since mine meters at 1600.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

The camera I brought on vacation broke, so I picked up a Leica Z2X point and shoot at the Adorama in New York City to get me through the rest of my trip. The flash on it works really well, which is great because f/4 at widest zoom is just not fast enough. The lens is great though, and now I want a Minilux.

img297

img276

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nobody drinking, sorry. Just some hosed up scans.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

That red line is your calibration area at the top of the scanner glass being filthy

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

That red line is your calibration area at the top of the scanner glass being filthy

Yeah, I know. Need to go back and rescan those.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Watch my friends drink and buy brisket. Leica Z2X and Tri-X.

img523

img524

img519

img508

mulls fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 25, 2015

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Picked up a Yashica T4 Super for $25 at the local camera store. Excited to load this baby up with some film and try out the wonderful world of point-and-shoot. (Or worst case sell it online for some good money).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I found my GF's Canonet 28 last weekend while tidying up. She let me borrow it, pre-loaded with a roll of mystery film - she last used it years ago and has no idea what's in there. This thing is fun, and (hilariously) seems to play nice with my flash.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I realized 35mm point and shoots mostly suck unless they have a manual ISO override

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

I realized 35mm point and shoots mostly suck unless they have a manual ISO override

You can always hack the DX codes on the film canister

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

You can always hack the DX codes on the film canister

You can turn 800 to 400 and 200 to 100 easily with a sharpie but beyond that it's a pain in the rear end. I guess you can also mangle the DX coding and a lot of cameras will just interpret that as ISO 100 but I've never tried that.

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 31, 2015

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

You can also compensate in development depending on if you think the camera over or under exposed.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Shellman posted:

Picked up a Yashica T4 Super for $25 at the local camera store. Excited to load this baby up with some film and try out the wonderful world of point-and-shoot. (Or worst case sell it online for some good money).

Whoa! That's a great deal.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

Why?

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

My Leica Z2X is really heavily center-weighted, so you can always just point it at whatever you want to land on Zone V and then lock and recompose. The big problem is that focus and exposure lock are the same button, so hopefully your Zone V thing is the same distance as your subject.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

I've only owned a Stylus Epic and a couple lesser P&Ss but I've notice they have a tendency to underexpose. On top of that, I usually use expired Gold or other cheap film in P&Ss and they need to be overexposed a stop or two. In addition, I'd like the ability to underexpose/push something like Tri-X or HP5+ cause those films lend themselves well to P&Ss, in my opinion.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

So you did dumb poo poo and got dumb results, got it

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

ansel autisms posted:

Go on...

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

Chill Callahan posted:

I've only owned a Stylus Epic and a couple lesser P&Ss but I've notice they have a tendency to underexpose. On top of that, I usually use expired Gold or other cheap film in P&Ss and they need to be overexposed a stop or two. In addition, I'd like the ability to underexpose/push something like Tri-X or HP5+ cause those films lend themselves well to P&Ss, in my opinion.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You use bad cameras with expired bad film and you're surprised you got bad results.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
in my experiences kodak gold is consistently the worst film ever. if you have to go bargain basement just go superia

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
First of all if you use 60 seconds of work you can hack your cartridge to be perfectly usable with your intended film push/pull.
I did and it works well. You can even use that cartridge and bulk film so you'd only have to do it once! Here's how:
http://www.diyphotography.net/oldschool-hacking-dx-film-annotations/

Secondly, as a MF shooter I love my 35mm P&S!
They're a simple, speedy and frictionless way to document life without having to get out my heavy and slower MF cameras. They're also very light and cheap as gently caress. Just toss it in your jacket/bag/glove compartment. If you're using them for anything else, e.g. serious work, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe shoot digital?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Awkward Davies posted:

You use bad cameras with expired bad film and you're surprised you got bad results.

Kodak Gold scanned with the Pakon 135+ doesn't look that bad. You just need to overexpose it a stop or two. Here's a few of mine:

http://i.imgur.com/q96oB8m.jpg http://i.imgur.com/rRJtc6F.jpg

There's also plenty in the Facebook group.

http://i.imgur.com/oCaQ638.jpg http://i.imgur.com/4LyAV8z.jpg

I guess now that I'm not a student anymore I can splurge on film, but I still feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
The Stylus Epic is a good camera tho

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah no complaints about kodak gold here either. I have a shitload of 2006 expired gold 200 and it comes out really nice, considering. Especially so on that drat Pakon which is now unobtainable :(

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Unrelated, I found a mint Olympus Pen EE-2 today for $12. Gonna replace my beat up and light-leaky EE that I never use.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

Kodak Gold scanned with the Pakon 135+ doesn't look that bad. You just need to overexpose it a stop or two. Here's a few of mine:

http://i.imgur.com/q96oB8m.jpg http://i.imgur.com/rRJtc6F.jpg

There's also plenty in the Facebook group.

http://i.imgur.com/oCaQ638.jpg http://i.imgur.com/4LyAV8z.jpg

I guess now that I'm not a student anymore I can splurge on film, but I still feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Hunh those do look good. Still, if you're using expired film you should expect to have to overexpose right? Depending on how it was stored I guess.

Why do you feel like an rear end in a top hat buying decent film?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Just a carryover from college when I didn't have any money so I had to squeeze every last bit of value out of things and if I didn't I felt I was wasting something. It still feels weird to put Portra in a P&S cause I don't always put a lot of thought into shots using a P&S.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I'm kind of confused by why someone would believe manual ISO override to be the deciding factor as to whether a point and shoot was good or not, but to each to their own.

I've had fun with Kodak Gold, it's totally impossible to find now though.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Not really that they are good or not, rather it makes a decent one a lot better. Like the Stylus Epic is a decent/good camera but ISO override would make it much more flexible with different film. I'll probably try VomitOnLino's technique before saying 'gently caress it' and getting a GR1v.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Walmart here still carries fresh Kodak Gold $10 for 3 rolls of 200 or $12 for 400.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
This v600 really isn't cutting it for 35mm scans :/

Chickens by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The Epson 35mm holders suck. It's not the scanner's fault. If your film is bowed even slightly in the center, you get blurry scans. They really need to have little plastic dividers between each frame so the film is forced flat. Load your film against the curl in a developing reel for a couple days and it'll flatten most film across both length and width.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

BANME.sh posted:

The Epson 35mm holders suck. It's not the scanner's fault. If your film is bowed even slightly in the center, you get blurry scans. They really need to have little plastic dividers between each frame so the film is forced flat. Load your film against the curl in a developing reel for a couple days and it'll flatten most film across both length and width.

I'm using the betterscanning glass and it makes a world of a difference, but it's still not great. It's also possible that the lens I'm using just sucks. I just got the 35mm lens which should be 10000% better. It's pretty consistently 'meh', so maybe it's just the lens...

EDIT: yeah, the crop is hosed but I don't feel like uploading it again.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 8, 2015

• Locked thread