Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

e: Also, Dinosaurs with Guns should be a completely separate fun B-movie schlock franchise. People who want that for the JP franchise may not actually be fans of the first film.

yeah cuz it's not like the two dogshit sequels already diluted the brand or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This would own.

This would also own.

I'm genuinely hoping the best for the film. The first JP is the 2nd best film of '93 and I'm hoping this one to be good too.

What do you call the best movie of 93?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Super Mario Bros., obviously.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

effectual posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s68Zr0JHNMg

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah cuz it's not like the two dogshit sequels already diluted the brand or anything

That seems pretty unfair. Lost World isn't great but it isn't the absolute unredeemable poo poo show that JP3 is.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The first two "Jurassic Park" movies had killer teasers, which I posted in this thread a while ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QMue9j_RKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doU4-8GJvsc

ApexAftermath posted:

That seems pretty unfair. Lost World isn't great but it isn't the absolute unredeemable poo poo show that JP3 is.
I remember "Jurassic Park III" just being incredibly mediocre. Am I blocking something out of my memory that puts it over the edge of being truly bad? For me, "Lost World" has two really stellar action set pieces in it -the trailer dangling over the cliff and the chase with the raptors in the tall grass- and the rest is just kind of meh.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

That seems pretty unfair.

life isn't fair

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

The first two "Jurassic Park" movies had killer teasers, which I posted in this thread a while ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QMue9j_RKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doU4-8GJvsc

I remember "Jurassic Park III" just being incredibly mediocre. Am I blocking something out of my memory that puts it over the edge of being truly bad? For me, "Lost World" has two really stellar action set pieces in it -the trailer dangling over the cliff and the chase with the raptors in the tall grass- and the rest is just kind of meh.

Jurassic Park III was aggressively mediocre, with a real poo poo moment where the Spinosaurus kills the Tyrannosaurus. gently caress that goofy-looking bastard killing the T Rex, that's bullshit mate. Plus the entire thing just felt really, really cheap for some reason.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

life isn't fair
No it finds a way though

Robert Denby posted:

I don't know why I love The Lost World so much, I mean I've rewatched it and the only thing I really hate about it is Vince Vaughn's character.

Plus the transition from a woman screaming to a yawning Jeff Goldblum is still funny after all these years.

Peter Postlethwaite is great in it and his character is a complete badass.

Also the San Diego ending is a much better ending for what they had planned, which was escape the island via handgliders.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The Lost World is just great for its satirization and commentary on the modern Hollywood sequel/cash-grab. Jurassic Park three is just boring, and a movie about dinosaurs should never be boring.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

effectual posted:

Last Action Hero :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It has nothing to do with diluting the brand, it's that those films went for a style and tone that is very grounded and at least attempts verisimilitude with reality. Dinosaurs with guns just doesn't fit into the world that they've created. I'm not going to say there couldn't be a great dinosaurs with guns movie, it just wouldn't be a Jurassic Park movie.

e: It's like what Stallone wanted to do with the next Rambo movie, having him hunt down an alien. It's not that it couldn't be a fun film, it's just that it doesn't fit with the story world as presented.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 24, 2014

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
If they have Chris Pratt domesticate the raptors in this movie, then the next one could have a rogue raptor behaviorist or whatever working for a drug cartel on the costa rican mainland using weaponized raptors.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

It has nothing to do with diluting the brand, it's that those films went for a style and tone that is very grounded and at least attempts verisimilitude with reality. Dinosaurs with guns just doesn't fit into the world that they've created. I'm not going to say there couldn't be a great dinosaurs with guns movie, it just wouldn't be a Jurassic Park movie.

e: It's like what Stallone wanted to do with the next Rambo movie, having him hunt down an alien. It's not that it couldn't be a fun film, it's just that it doesn't fit with the story world as presented.

i too, want my movie about cloned dinosaurs running amok at a theme park, to be grounded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When they go out of their way at every turn to explain the science behind and natural instincts of cloned dinosaurs running amok, that certainly seems to be what the've been established, yes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

teagone posted:

My Last Starfighter trailer got featured on Slashfilm :3:

http://www.slashfilm.com/modern-last-starfighter-trailer/

It goes even further in a new article detailing how impossible it was for even Spielberg to get the rights to remake it.

http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-last-starfighter-remake/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BonoMan posted:

It goes even further in a new article detailing how impossible it was for even Spielberg to get the rights to remake it.

http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-last-starfighter-remake/

That's nuts. I mean, big ups to the original writer for wanting to keep his little gem intact, but drat dude... if anyone would do a proper remake justice, I think it'd be Spielberg. Let the man have it :sigh:

[edit]
Also, poo poo how much money did Betuel turn down? :stare:

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 25, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Spielberg farms out so much stuff as an EP these days and develops so few projects I'd be afraid my baby would become the next Transformers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Spielberg farms out so much stuff as an EP these days and develops so few projects I'd be afraid my baby would become the next Transformers.

Hmm, good point.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser will premiere this weekend...in select theaters. Source: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tease-theater-list

quote:

AZ PHOENIX HARKINS TEMPE MARKETPLACE
CA LOS ANGELES AMC CENTURY CITY
CA LOS ANGELES Indep EL CAPITAN
CA IRVINE REGAL SPECTRUM IRVINE 21
CA SAN FRANCISCO AMC METREON 16
CA SAN JOSE CINEMARK OAKRIDGE 20
CA SAN DIEGO REGAL MIRA MESA 18
CAN TORONTO CINEPLEX YOUNGE & DUNDAS
CAN VANCOUVER CINEPLEX RIVERPORT
CO DENVER AMC WESTMINSTER 24
DC WASH D.C AMC TYSONS CORNER 16
FL MIAMI CARMIKE PARISIAN 20
GA ATLANTA REGAL ATLANTIC STATION
IL CHICAGO REGAL CITY NORTH
MA BOSTON AMC BOSTON COMMONS 19
MI DETROIT CINEMARK SHOWCASE 20
MN MINNEAPOLIS AMC SOUTHDALE
MO KANSAS CITY AMC STUDIO 30
NY NEW YORK AMC LINCOLN SQUARE 12
NY NEW YORK REGAL UNION SQUARE
OH CLEVELAND CINEMARK CINEMARK 24
PA PHILADELPHIA REGAL WARRINGTON 22
TN NASHVILLE CARMIKE THOROUGHBRED 20
TN KNOXVILLE REGAL PINNACLE
TX DALLAS CINEMARK WEST PLANO 20
TX HOUSTON REGAL MARQ*E STADIUM 23
TX AUSTIN ALAMO ALAMO S LAMAR
UT SALT LAKE CITY CINEMARK CINEMARK 24 WEST JORDAN
WA SEATTLE REGAL THORNTON PLACE 14
WI MILWAUKEE MARCUS BROOKFIELD 16

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The prequels made me not care about Star Wars at all anymore, but all it's probably going to take is the opening notes of the John Williams tune and I'm a moist pile of nerd again.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

davidspackage posted:

The prequels made me not care about Star Wars at all anymore, but all it's probably going to take is the opening notes of the John Williams tune and I'm a moist pile of nerd again.

It took a few spy photes and some concept art to turn me around...

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
WTF computer did the use to use to make those Last. Starfighter graphics.? The year that came out I was playing. Dungeons of Daggoroth on a TRS-80. Their render farm must have been a city block.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

schwenz posted:

WTF computer did the use to use to make those Last. Starfighter graphics.? The year that came out I was playing. Dungeons of Daggoroth on a TRS-80. Their render farm must have been a city block.

The Cray X-MP Supercomputer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray_X-MP

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser will premiere this weekend...in select theaters. Source: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tease-theater-list

I remember during the prequel stuff entire crowds used to come for the trailer then just walk out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trump posted:

It took a few spy photes and some concept art to turn me around...

i think for me it'd take George Lucas paying my rent for a few months

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

I remember during the prequel stuff entire crowds used to come for the trailer then just walk out.

The world before Youtube was a strange place.

Who am I kidding? There will still be people doing this.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

So do you have to go see a movie, or what? I mean, I'll go see Big Hero 6 just to catch this trailer, especially considering I have the day off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The trailer is supposed to be before every showing of every movie for just the weekend or something like that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I guess Universal heard all the complaints about "teasers for trailers" and said gently caress it, because they just posted the Jurassic World trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFinNxS5KN4

Despite some dodgy cgi parkscapes, I kind of dig this.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think my childhood wonderment is broken, cause that was way too cheesy for me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I guess Universal heard all the complaints about "teasers for trailers" and said gently caress it, because they just posted the Jurassic World trailer.

I am cautiously optimistic about this.

BeardMilk
Apr 22, 2004

Asiina posted:

I think my childhood wonderment is broken, cause that was way too cheesy for me.

That scene where he was riding the motorcycle with a pack of velociraptors through a forest kind of reminded me of the monkey scene from Crystal Skull.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

gently caress all yall seriously hyped for this

Me IRL -->

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wasn't sold. Then Chris Pratt rode a dirt bike with 4 raptors as backup.

Now I need to see this movie right loving now.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, I wasn't really excited for "trained dinosaurs" because it sounded too much like some of the dumb script ideas thrown around previously. Now that I saw that and it clicked that they mean trained in the sense of a hunting dog, and not raptor mercenaries or some bullshit, that looks really cool.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Owns. Gotta be better than the last two :ohdear:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Seriously my god, that final shot of Chris Pratt riding alongside his four raptor pals made me so giddy I can barely contain it. I am SO down.

Granted, I loved Lost World and I enjoyed the third one because DINOSAURS so I'm down for any Jurassic Park sequels. But yeah that final shot I think is gonna seal the deal for a lot of people.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I'm glad they decided to go with the monster-of-the-week plot that worked so well for JP3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Asiina posted:

I think mine too. Independent of the somewhat worthless Jurassic Park franchise attached to it, it just seems so dull. Like it's not even a novel twist on "SCIENCE WENT TOO FAR!!!"

Also was that Ty Burrell as the kids' dad, because now I'm just sad we couldn't have gotten a Ty Burrell takes his kids to a dinosaur park movie because I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

• Locked thread