Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
In Safari, you can tap and hold a webpage to arrange opened sites to your likey. That's a nice lil touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why does the WiFi on my iPhone 5 not work for poo poo? It connects to my router just fine (which is using WPA2) but the vast majority of the time, I can't access anything on the web if I'm connected to WiFi. Very very rarely it will actually let me download stuff over WiFi, but the speed is absolutely horrendous (300kbps). But a speed test from a Galaxy S4 on the same WiFi will get like 8MB/s. I've tried this on multiple access points: at home, work, friends, etc and it always seems to suck. I tried changing my DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as suggested by many sites online, but it didn't seem to help at all. Another suggestion was to use WEP instead of WPA, no way in hell I'm gonna do that.

I found this gigantic thread on the Apple forums with thousands of people describing similar issues: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714

I had the same WiFi problems on my iPhone 4 and for some reason I bought another iPhone. How do I fix this POS?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've had my iPhone 6 since October, and I've probably taken a good couple thousand photos with it in that time. I've never seen any artifacts in any of the images until today.

HDR was off when this was taken. I took 4 photos of this scene, and this is the only one to have any sort of artifact. I've owned a 4 and a 5c in the past, and never seen anything like this on any of the photos taken with them, either. Maybe this is from the lens elements not aligning correctly?

But realistically, it's most likely a ghost. I hope my friend on the left doesn't die in a freak accident in the next 7 days.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It has to do with the sun (reflected off the water) being in the frame but not dead on. It's not a problem with the camera, if you're wondering.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is lens flare, just not coming coming from a single point like it usually does.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

Why does the WiFi on my iPhone 5 not work for poo poo? It connects to my router just fine (which is using WPA2) but the vast majority of the time, I can't access anything on the web if I'm connected to WiFi. Very very rarely it will actually let me download stuff over WiFi, but the speed is absolutely horrendous (300kbps). But a speed test from a Galaxy S4 on the same WiFi will get like 8MB/s. I've tried this on multiple access points: at home, work, friends, etc and it always seems to suck. I tried changing my DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as suggested by many sites online, but it didn't seem to help at all. Another suggestion was to use WEP instead of WPA, no way in hell I'm gonna do that.

I found this gigantic thread on the Apple forums with thousands of people describing similar issues: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714

I had the same WiFi problems on my iPhone 4 and for some reason I bought another iPhone. How do I fix this POS?

You should experiment with WEP and see if it improves performance. It doesn't mean you have to stick with it, but it might give more insight into the problem. Take the case off if you've got one.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

goodness posted:

iMessages, and both cellular and wifi. I don't know what a MVNO is.

Are you able to get images through SMS (not iMessage) fine or do those not appear either?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

withak posted:

It is lens flare, just not coming coming from a single point like it usually does.

I'm ready to accept the lens flare explanation. It's strange to me that it doesn't look like any sort I've seen before from an iPhone or any other device. I usually think of lens flare as more uniform and being round or crescent-shaped. The guy in that picture looks like he was about to get sucked in by the matrix.

But yeah, I guess light reflecting off the lens makes more sense than any other explanation.

fletcher posted:

wifi problems

My 6 had the similar symptoms (slow-rear end wifi on my WPA networks, although it would occasionally pick up and use public access points) when I bought it brand new. The issue persisted though setting up the phone as new, so I took it in to the Apple Store and they swapped it out for me. If your phone is out of warranty, you might not be able to get that service. In which case, the only hope I can offer you is that it might be a software bug (especially if you're running iOS 8/8.0.1) that gets fixed in the next release. It seems like software could have been at fault for causing my problems, even though they persisted through a restore (my replacement iPhone 6 was running an earlier version of iOS 8 than my problematic one, and it took to wifi just fine).

I'd try setting up the phone as new and seeing if the problem is still there. If nothing else it will help to already have that done before seeking outside help.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Sensors and lenses can reflect internally. We've had to deal with light bouncing off the back of lenses back on to sensors for years. Extremely bright highlights can flare like that - they bounce off the sensor, back to the lens, and back to the sensor again.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fleshweasel posted:

You should experiment with WEP and see if it improves performance. It doesn't mean you have to stick with it, but it might give more insight into the problem. Take the case off if you've got one.

Yeah, I guess I should at least try it for a minute to see if that really does fix it. I don't have a case on it.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

My 6 had the similar symptoms (slow-rear end wifi on my WPA networks, although it would occasionally pick up and use public access points) when I bought it brand new. The issue persisted though setting up the phone as new, so I took it in to the Apple Store and they swapped it out for me. If your phone is out of warranty, you might not be able to get that service. In which case, the only hope I can offer you is that it might be a software bug (especially if you're running iOS 8/8.0.1) that gets fixed in the next release. It seems like software could have been at fault for causing my problems, even though they persisted through a restore (my replacement iPhone 6 was running an earlier version of iOS 8 than my problematic one, and it took to wifi just fine).

I'd try setting up the phone as new and seeing if the problem is still there. If nothing else it will help to already have that done before seeking outside help.

The phone is over a year old, I'm assuming it's probably out of warranty. If I take it to the Apple Store would they tell me I'm SOL?

I'm still running iOS 7, the issue has persisted through several patches. I haven't tried iOS 8 yet though. I did try setting the phone up as new and the WiFi problem remained.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've had my iPhone 6 since October, and I've probably taken a good couple thousand photos with it in that time. I've never seen any artifacts in any of the images until today.

HDR was off when this was taken. I took 4 photos of this scene, and this is the only one to have any sort of artifact. I've owned a 4 and a 5c in the past, and never seen anything like this on any of the photos taken with them, either. Maybe this is from the lens elements not aligning correctly?

But realistically, it's most likely a ghost. I hope my friend on the left doesn't die in a freak accident in the next 7 days.

It's just a glitch in the Matrix. Don't worry.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
With WPA2 I got 289 kB/s down, 0.5 kB/s up
Switched to WEP and I got 128 kB/s down, 0.2 kB/s up

:(

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you get this lovely performance on other networks? I have to imagine the hardware is somehow defective. I would try updating the software. Not like you have much to lose.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fleshweasel posted:

Do you get this lovely performance on other networks? I have to imagine the hardware is somehow defective. I would try updating the software. Not like you have much to lose.

Yup, performance is that lovely on other wifi networks as well. I would try iOS 8 but it won't let me download the update over LTE. Any other way to do it without having to install iTunes on my computer?

edit: lol of course as I type this this article is the top story on HN right now...

fletcher fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 25, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it sounds like Apple has bad chronic wifi problems for some users. I have honestly never experienced them on any of my apple products. I have to assume that the ones with bad wifi performance have hardware defects.

iTunes is not cancer or AIDS. Give it a shot, or don't, and move on to a phone that works better for you.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

It turns out that if you go outside during a wind storm, the counter for flights of stairs will go off like crazy. My town is pretty flat and the phone says that during an hour I climbed 24 flights of stairs. 90% of the time it won't count me going up my basement stairs. I don't have a complaint I just thought it was pretty funny.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, it sounds like Apple has bad chronic wifi problems for some users.
Good write-up on it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, it sounds like Apple has bad chronic wifi problems for some users. I have honestly never experienced them on any of my apple products. I have to assume that the ones with bad wifi performance have hardware defects.

iTunes is not cancer or AIDS. Give it a shot, or don't, and move on to a phone that works better for you.

Yeah I think it's a hardware defect as well. Seems crazy that both my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 had the issue tho. Oh well, I'll just wait a few more months til my free upgrade and then probably switch to an Android phone.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Stupid question since Google isn't being helpful:

When I get emails in iOS Mail from time to time in the top left of the screen the person's phone number will be displayed and I have an option to add them to my contacts. I assume this is an iOS feature.

My problem is, I'm blind-copied on my own emails, and when I open my own mails, it displays my correct name but a phone number that isn't mine.

Where can I go to correct this? I don't have a working PC but I assume I don't have to have one to fix this?

Thanks!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My icloud calendar doesn't sync to my iphone.

iphone 5, ios8.1.1
mbpr 13", 10.10.1

I make a new event in Calendar, it syncs to icloud, and if I go to icloud.com, I can see it in that calendar, but I can't see it on my iphone.

I've tried restarting, disabling and reenabling icloud, killing calendar and restarting it on both devices, etc.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

My icloud calendar doesn't sync to my iphone.

iphone 5, ios8.1.1
mbpr 13", 10.10.1

I make a new event in Calendar, it syncs to icloud, and if I go to icloud.com, I can see it in that calendar, but I can't see it on my iphone.

I've tried restarting, disabling and reenabling icloud, killing calendar and restarting it on both devices, etc.

Are they selected if you go into the Calendars tab at bottom of iPhone calendar app?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

When I get emails in iOS Mail from time to time in the top left of the screen the person's phone number will be displayed and I have an option to add them to my contacts. I assume this is an iOS feature.

My problem is, I'm blind-copied on my own emails, and when I open my own mails, it displays my correct name but a phone number that isn't mine.

Where can I go to correct this? I don't have a working PC but I assume I don't have to have one to fix this?

You don't correct it. The information's algorithmically pulled out of the email using Data Detectors. The only time you'd need to or be able to correct it would be when whacking "Add to Contacts."

Are you using some kind of unusual quoting style in your emails (like, say, is this work email and everyone's using some hosed up enterprise email client marching to the beat of its own drum)? It should ignore quoted content—like other people's signatures in a long, untrimmed thread—if it's recognizable.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

spongeworthy posted:

Are they selected if you go into the Calendars tab at bottom of iPhone calendar app?

All calendars are enabled and still nothing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife is having an issue with her iphone 6.

She keeps it on her at work and it's hot where she works (horse stables). She thinks that due to her having it on her it gets hot and that drains the battery. Today after being fully charged, it died only 4 hours later. This is with pandora being on for 2 hours.

She says it lasts longer if it's in a jacket that's not close to her body.

I dunno-seems pretty crazy to me, but any reports of that sort of thing?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
How's her service? Sounds like she's in a poor service area.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Sometimes when I download an app, it asks me to authenticate with either my password or Touch ID. Sometimes it doesn't ask and forces me to input my password. What gives?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Linx posted:

Sometimes when I download an app, it asks me to authenticate with either my password or Touch ID. Sometimes it doesn't ask and forces me to input my password. What gives?

It's supposed to ask for a password after a reboot. Sometimes it does other times too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nwin posted:

My wife is having an issue with her iphone 6.

She keeps it on her at work and it's hot where she works (horse stables). She thinks that due to her having it on her it gets hot and that drains the battery. Today after being fully charged, it died only 4 hours later. This is with pandora being on for 2 hours.

She says it lasts longer if it's in a jacket that's not close to her body.

I dunno-seems pretty crazy to me, but any reports of that sort of thing?

Batteries absolutely drain faster when they're hotter. Four hours is *probably* really fast, but it might not be impossible, especially if she's running something that's constantly hitting data like Pandora and if she's in a poor signal area (which I wouldn't be shocked to hear a horse stable was).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Molten Llama posted:

You don't correct it. The information's algorithmically pulled out of the email using Data Detectors. The only time you'd need to or be able to correct it would be when whacking "Add to Contacts."

Are you using some kind of unusual quoting style in your emails (like, say, is this work email and everyone's using some hosed up enterprise email client marching to the beat of its own drum)? It should ignore quoted content—like other people's signatures in a long, untrimmed thread—if it's recognizable.

Figured this out, for whatever reason it's pulling the phone number out of the signature from one selected person I email with frequently which is why I noticed it. I'll just ignore it then since it seems specific to that contact. Thanks!

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Is there a way to have the Safari keychain remember usernames and passwords for websites that use basic auth (like in the screenshot below)? I searched around the internet, and a work-around was to save a bookmark with the URL http://<username>:<password>@example.com, but when I do that, Safari complains that I'm possibly visiting a phishing site because of the username/password in the URL. Is there a way to whitelist that site or another way to save the password?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

CoasterMaster posted:

Is there a way to have the Safari keychain remember usernames and passwords for websites that use basic auth (like in the screenshot below)? I searched around the internet, and a work-around was to save a bookmark with the URL [url]http://[/url]<username>:<password>@example.com, but when I do that, Safari complains that I'm possibly visiting a phishing site because of the username/password in the URL. Is there a way to whitelist that site or another way to save the password?

If you're jailbroken, iTouchSecure is a fantastic tweak for auto-filling passwords everywhere with TouchID. Otherwise I'm not sure..

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Are there usually any black Friday deals on iPhones? I'm thinking about picking a 6 plus up as a secondary phone for full price.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Are there usually any black Friday deals on iPhones? I'm thinking about picking a 6 plus up as a secondary phone for full price.

Almost definitely not from Apple, but retailers and carrier stores have sometimes offered a modest discount or gift cards/accessories.

Good luck, though, because they've generally been in-store only and limited to stock on hand, which is still likely bupkus for Pluses.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple's Black Friday deal is that you get a $50 gift card with an iPhone. More or less with other products.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

smackfu posted:

Apple's Black Friday deal is that you get a $50 gift card with an iPhone. More or less with other products.

Can I put that towards apple care?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I recently picked up a 6 to replace my 5, and was wondering if it were possible to use my old 5 with text message forwarding for when I'm at work? I work in a machine shop and my 5 got pretty beat up over time from metal chips and whatnot, and I'd like to continue using that while leaving my 6 in my toolbox. I have it setup with call forwarding working fine, and iMessages work properly between the devices, but when I try to turn on Message forwarding on my 6 it prompts for a code that should pop up on my 5 but never does.

Also, on my 5, it says "Waiting for iMessage activation..." in the messages part of settings. I've tried restoring my phone, and tried turning off iMessages on both devices and it always goes back to waiting for activation. Anyone ever deal with this?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Anyone have insight on this?

spongeworthy posted:

Any reason why the apps I update through iTunes no longer sync/transfer to my iPhone automatically as they used to when I hit Sync? I have to go into the iPhone's app listing in iTunes and press "Update" to force it to transfer the new version onto the phone.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
PSA:
If you are considering the purchase of an iPhone 6, I strongly suggest you take Apple up on their 14 day return policy and buy the iPhone 6 Plus. I had the same concerns about one handed use, size, and slipperiness as everyone else but I found you can most likely overcome them. If you can fit this phone into your life, the upsides more than make up for the concerns you might have.

Some suggestions:
- A slightly grippy case goes a LONG way to alleviating concerns about dropping this phone. I use the elago Slimfit2 but any case that has a matte finish will help. A lot.
- Really consider how often you use the phone one handed. How many of those times are really "deal breakers"? After using the phone for a week you might be surprised how many are still deal breakers.
- At this point, many of the decent apps out there have updated to take advantage of the new screen sizes. When you see how these apps handle the 6 Plus screen, you might be surprised. Experiment with the new layouts and try new apps. You might find something that works better than what you're used to.
Remember: if you buy from apple, you have 14 days to return it. Take advantage of this. You should have a good idea after the first week and you might be surprised.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you conisdered

Thorpe posted:

I recently picked up a 6 to replace my 5, and was wondering if it were possible to use my old 5 with text message forwarding for when I'm at work? I work in a machine shop and my 5 got pretty beat up over time from metal chips and whatnot, and I'd like to continue using that while leaving my 6 in my toolbox. I have it setup with call forwarding working fine, and iMessages work properly between the devices, but when I try to turn on Message forwarding on my 6 it prompts for a code that should pop up on my 5 but never does.

Also, on my 5, it says "Waiting for iMessage activation..." in the messages part of settings. I've tried restoring my phone, and tried turning off iMessages on both devices and it always goes back to waiting for activation. Anyone ever deal with this?

Honestly a chunky case that can take a beating seems like a much more foolproof solution than keeping 2 phones charged and carrying them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

fleshweasel posted:

Have you conisdered

Honestly a chunky case that can take a beating seems like a much more foolproof solution than keeping 2 phones charged and carrying them both.

As dumb as this is I've always been a caseless sort of person, with the exception of the apple leather case on my 6. My other phone stays at work and is charged when I'm not using it, and it's nice to have all my audio books and podcasts on that one to leave more room for music on my 6.