Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Rei_ posted:

Like sometimes there's the one where you spin a bunch and then WHAM the dude and then all the ninjas like you then there's the one where you like, WHOOF the axe up and threw the dude and it goes CLANG and then there's the one where you like whack the dude a buncha times with the side of the axe but that one's not nearly as fun and then they got a button you can hit just so you can hit the dude when you're tired for three seconds from being so angry about axes and then there's the one where you jump up in the air and just throw the axe so hard your body lurches forward in mid-air but it's okay, don't panic, you're still holding the axe. You don't need to go get it back. It was just a trick!

It's ok! You're not actually throwing your big axe! That's a tomahawk, and you're just using a smaller, separate throwing axe there to axe people in the face from a distance. Where does it come from? You have a pile, just over there. You never run out, warriors get infinite throwing axes because that's just how we roll.

Scrub paladins have to get everyone to stop what they're doing when they shield lob because they actually do have to walk over there and get it back, it's really embarassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Excessive badness and spergliness will both make people not want to party with you. Everyone should strive for the optimal balance of chillness and goodness. Thank you and god bless.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

3) Velthice must be having a bad day

I have the worst loving toothache. You have no idea. (Or maybe you do, but god drat is oral pain the worst)

:stare:
Burn it. Burn it it all down. Burn everything.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Meiteron posted:

It's ok! You're not actually throwing your big axe! That's a tomahawk, and you're just using a smaller, separate throwing axe there to axe people in the face from a distance. Where does it come from? You have a pile, just over there. You never run out, warriors get infinite throwing axes because that's just how we roll.

Scrub paladins have to get everyone to stop what they're doing when they shield lob because they actually do have to walk over there and get it back, it's really embarassing.

That moment in Stone Vigil when the shield goes off the edge of the balcony and everyone stops, even Isegbind is embarassed. He brings it back for you so the fight can resume, you shoot the cannon at him again but it's just not the same at that point, he's letting you hit him

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

I just ran Sastasha HM with a Dragoon who pretty much just mashed Piercing Talon all the way around. Was pretty funny tbh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Excessive badness and spergliness will both make people not want to party with you. Everyone should strive for the optimal balance of chillness and goodness. Thank you and god bless.

I recommend highly against sobriety while video gaming and life in general.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Velthice posted:

I have the worst loving toothache. You have no idea. (Or maybe you do, but god drat is oral pain the worst)

:stare:
Burn it. Burn it it all down. Burn everything.

Well, look at the bright side

Uhhhhhh oh! At least they didn't give the image giant tits right? :negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Well, look at the bright side

Uhhhhhh oh! At least they didn't give the image giant tits right? :negative:

The author of that image should probably be on some watch lists and kept away from schools.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Listen I know I'm fixating on the wrong thing here but

Evil Fluffy posted:

author of that image

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Vengeance is the sickest pose for a cooldown

like Perfect Balance what's that even about OOHH LOOKIT MY ARMS why dont you go lose some loving stacks over it, nerd

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Everyone should strive for the optimal balance of chillness and goodness.

i split my points 15/15 between these two stats, just like i did with my sch/smn.

Dazzling Klaxon
Nov 4, 2010

bonewitch posted:

Everyone knows the best way to maximize your dps is to look rad as hell while you do it

oh did you get your bow good work

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

TL;DR conclusions of the last few pages (e: to the best of my understanding):

1. Use Selene most of the time. Bust out Eos only in specific situations XYZ which I can't be hosed to go look up.

2. ilifinicus says we should try to play well rather than be lazy incompetent shits and waste people's time.

3. Other people say it's not reasonable to expect min/max perfection in a roulette (or a pug in general). But we should still expect reasonable competence.

4. #2 and #3 above are treating each other as opposing arguments (and are increasingly frustrated at the lack of yielding and concession) even though they're largely getting at the same point in the first place.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Dazzling Klaxon posted:

oh did you get your bow good work

Yeah, xeph and I both got our weapons the other day.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
This is just a reskinned Fracture arguement. It also has the same conclusion.

You're allowed to be lazy but when you defend your laziness as the superior way to play you get ridiculed by people who know better.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Belzac posted:

This is just a reskinned Fracture arguement. It also has the same conclusion.

You're allowed to be lazy but when you defend your laziness as the superior way to play you get ridiculed by people who know better.

When you join a public group (or come into a public forum *ahem*) and try to impose your perfectionism on people who choose to play the game a bit more casually than you, you get ridiculed for being the gooniest of goons.

And I don't even disagree that striving to be the best you can be, even in the context of a catgirl game, is an enjoyable experience.

Edit: And, you know, there's a better way to approach this. One is "If you do this (don't do this), you're terrible and I hope I never have to play with you", and the other is more "If you want to get the most out of your class, here's a way to improve your play." I wish we had a bit less of dismissive attitude and more of the affirmative, socially positive one.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 25, 2014

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/205904-No-more-lockouts-No-more-weekly-tokens-limitations-please-%21

Raid lockouts are literally cancer. Let us trivialize content 10x as fast so we can get to complaining after a patch even sooner!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
That isn't even what's happening. People are basking in their skill-less play, getting called out, and then defending it because it's just a game dude, chill out.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Belzac posted:

People are basking in their skill-less play

Lol

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Belzac posted:

That isn't even what's happening. People are basking in their skill-less play, getting called out, and then defending it because it's just a game dude, chill out.

Yet you choose the word "skill-less" as though sub-optimal play is the same as randomly mashing buttons. You're the one who sets the poor tone of the discussion when you respond that way. I don't know how you think that's perceived, but it doesn't earn you respect. It just marks you as an rear end in a top hat.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm not trying to be nice. That attitude died over a year ago. People are aggressively anti-self improvement in this game so being helpful and pointing out where they can do better generally doesn't work. The only thing you can do is get mad. Get mad about video games.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Belzac posted:

I'm not trying to be nice. That attitude died over a year ago. People are aggressively anti-self improvement in this game so being helpful and pointing out where they can do better generally doesn't work. The only thing you can do is get mad. Get mad about video games.

If it's so hopeless, then maybe keep it to yourself, because it seems like what you're doing is.... sub-optimal

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

You can take the optimal route or the sub optimal route to fashion, but dress up is its own reward.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kettlepip posted:

I just ran Sastasha HM with a Dragoon who pretty much just mashed Piercing Talon all the way around. Was pretty funny tbh.

Now see, this would have pissed me off a lot because EXDR keeps giving me Sastasha all the drat time. I haven't seen Snowcloak in about two weeks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Belzac posted:

Faaaaaaaaaart

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I proposed a very specific case where Eos has value. I pointed out I use Selene most of the time, and that I spend the vast majority of my time never leaving cleric stance. Any hand wringing about how terrible and unwilling to "git gud" I am is comical. But please, continue.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Chairman posted:

If it's so hopeless, then maybe keep it to yourself, because it seems like what you're doing is.... sub-optimal

:iceburn:

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 25, 2014

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I do! I assume you do as well?

I'm Kabuki Lahey in game.

Yeah, I'm Coco Crisp on Excalibur.

Hit me up and I'll make you a Gundam Vanguard action figure, assuming you don't already have one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That lala image is super offensive because lalas being genderless triangles that flail all their limbs around when they /panic is the best part of them

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

That lala image is super offensive because lalas being genderless triangles that flail all their limbs around when they /panic is the best part of them

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Belzac posted:

:goonsay:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So many strawmen up in here it's got to be some sort of fire code violation.

In other news, last night I decided to run a quick duty-finder ST and somehow got the unidentified tomestone, the last bit of soldiery needed for my weapon, and the sand to upgrade it all at the same time. My BLM has never been decked out better.

Now I'm worried I've used up all my rng luck forever. :ohdear:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

nuru posted:

I proposed a very specific case where Eos has value. I pointed out I use Selene most of the time, and that I spend the vast majority of my time never leaving cleric stance. Any hand wringing about how terrible and unwilling to "git gud" I am is comical. But please, continue.

For everyone one of you there are ten other scholars who have Eos out 24/7, never use cleric stance, never cast dots and have 90% overhealing. I queued as healer, not dps.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Then clearly they ignored the moral of their Arcanist quests and know nothing of strategy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Belzac posted:

You're saying this is happening but I've just read through the last three pages and I'm not seeing what you describe. And I'm guessing that's part of why you just got hit with a half-dozen responses basically laughing at you.

The closest thing I see is people saying that some more casual things like expert roulette might not be worth bending over backwards to be perfect for, but that's not the same thing as "basking in skill-less play". Or if you genuinely think it is, I'd love to hear why.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Vil posted:

You're saying this is happening but I've just read through the last three pages and I'm not seeing what you describe. And I'm guessing that's part of why you just got hit with a half-dozen responses basically laughing at you.

The closest thing I see is people saying that some more casual things like expert roulette might not be worth bending over backwards to be perfect for, but that's not the same thing as "basking in skill-less play". Or if you genuinely think it is, I'd love to hear why.

Belzac posted:

For everyone one of you there are ten other scholars who have Eos out 24/7, never use cleric stance, never cast dots and have 90% overhealing. I queued as healer, not dps.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

The Chairman posted:

Hey, try this: shut up, idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So basically what you're saying is that your own anecdote (which given its source, has a higher than average risk of the numbers being hyperbolic), after the argument has been going on for a while, retroactively explains what you were arguing against and shooting down in the first place.

In other words, what?

• Locked thread