Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Obama Africanus posted:

Requesting thread subtitle change to: "A 290 Pound Adolescent Specimen of Thuggery."

I prefer "A five year old holding onto Hulk Hogan"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

I prefer "A five year old holding onto Hulk Hogan"

"What you going to do Darren Wilson, when Brownamania runs all over you!"

While not proper BAH GAWD ITS MICHAEL BROWN is an option too.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I don't think two sides could have a monopoly on anything, by definition

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pretty much. It's like people forgot what nuanced opinions are.

I'll cut the average person some slack considering they're fed a "in order for your team to win the other side has to lose" narrative by pundits and the media.

The only winners yesterday were the media and their advertisers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pretty much. It's like people forgot what nuanced opinions are.

HEH I guess you could say the truth is somewhere in the middle??? :smuggo:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They're saying on the radio that protestors are going to try and disrupt the metro system in protest.

They better loving not, I've got places to go.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

HEH I guess you could say the truth is somewhere in the middle??? :smuggo:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I really don't give a poo poo one way or another because there's 7 billion people on the planet what's a few dead here and there. That said, for some reason I get so mad about people implying people protesting don't have jobs. Who hasn't called off work to play video games or whatever? Maybe I'm just feeling bad because I'm taking wednesday off to play video games.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'll cut the average person some slack considering they're fed a "in order for your team to win the other side has to lose" narrative by pundits and the media.

The only winners yesterday were the media and their advertisers.

And the people who bet on the verdict/reaction in Vegas

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Zeris posted:

I don't think two sides could have a monopoly on anything, by definition

The two political parties in this dumb gay country :v:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I hope that guy that got his iPhone took is back online tonight.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
In Russia news, France finally stopped dithering and halted the delivery of it's 2 mistral class amphibious assault ships indefinitely.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30190069

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Is it going hot in North Korea for realsies?

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Obama Africanus posted:

What shimverse are you in right now?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Obama Africanus posted:

I loving wish. That would be the icing on the schadenfreude cake.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
I just made the mistake of reading the Michael Brown thread in D&D. I haven't been in that subforum in a long time. I now remember why.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tremblay posted:

I just made the mistake of reading the Michael Brown thread in D&D. I haven't been in that subforum in a long time. I now remember why.

The Michael Brown thread was a great reckoning, in which everyone who disagreed with hysterical doomsayers was found to be a racist.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Let me tell you why the burning of businesses that employ local members of the community is A Good Thing...

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
They went on for pages about how it couldn't have been just smoke the police were deploying last night, it had to be CS gas because none of them had ever heard of people coughing from smoke inhalation lol

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The Michael Brown thread was a great reckoning, in which everyone who disagreed with hysterical doomsayers was found to be a racist.

Maybe I'm too simple. But this kid doesn't seem like a great candidate for "the next Rosa Parks". I'm sorry a kid is dead, but from reading through the documents from the grand jury. Sure as hell seems like a legal shoot to me. Are there racial issues? Yup. Are there issues with cops getting out of hand? Yup. Is this a great example of either? Not really convinced.

beanieson posted:

They went on for pages about how it couldn't have been just smoke the police were deploying last night, it had to be CS gas because none of them had ever heard of people coughing from smoke inhalation lol

I'm surprised they weren't using CS. Wonder how many nights this poo poo is going to go on. It's pathetic.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 26, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
If they had employed CS gas, every one of those people on the streets would be puking snot and drool from every single orifice.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

beanieson posted:

This is a real, actual question....Does that type of smoke make you cough like that or is it like a smoke bomb where you can just stand in it and it doesn't really bother?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tremblay posted:

Maybe I'm too simple. But this kid doesn't seem like a great candidate for "the next Rosa Parks". I'm sorry a kid is dead, but from reading through the documents from the grand jury. Sure as hell seems like a legal shoot to me. Are there racial issues? Yup. Are there issues with cops getting out of hand? Yup. Is this a great example of either? Not really convinced.

Honestly I think that's part of the problem with how people are talking about the issue online. The US has a lot of hosed up problems with police and a legacy of racism that, for the most part, hasn't been dealt with since the MLK days. However, whatever the circumstances of the killing were, the fact that Brown assaulted a shopkeeper over petty theft hours before getting killed by a cop matters a lot given the lack of credible evidence for how the shooting went down. There's a decent chance it had nothing to do with the shooting, but also a decent chance that this kind of person would assault a cop which is far from a rare situation no matter how many times you say "well any rational person wouldn't want to assault a cop just because they think they got fingered for a robbery". People aren't always rational, and some bad decisions come with lethal consequences that I'm not going to disagree with. A few weeks ago somebody shot a bunch of rounds at a cop out their car window after getting pulled over a couple blocks away from me for reckless driving - wasn't a rational decision, but they did it and the cop had every right to kill them (and he didn't).

Separate from that issue is the idea of indicting and prosecuting a police officer, which is far too rare given how egregiously cops can gently caress up and get away with it with a slap on the wrist at most. Again, there are circumstances in this specific case that meant a trial would have accomplished absolutely nothing. Even if, in reality, the cop had screamed RAHOWA until his throat bled while dumping lead into this kid, there's gently caress all evidence to work with. A trial would have had only one possible conclusion and it wouldn't have assuaged anyone's issues with accountability for the police force.

If we get a Rosa Parks-style incident to rally around in modern times it's going to involve a death that everyone can point to and say "This is clearly wrong, the evidence is there, and the system is working against justice for the victim" and it'll probably be effective. This isn't it, but I'm not going to be the person to wish for some poor rear end in a top hat to get martyred so I dunno.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 26, 2014

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Honestly I think that's part of the problem with how people are talking about the issue online. The US has a lot of hosed up problems with police and a legacy of racism that, for the most part, hasn't been dealt with since the MLK days. However, whatever the circumstances of the killing were, the fact that Brown assaulted a shopkeeper over petty theft hours before getting killed by a cop matters a lot given the lack of credible evidence for how the shooting went down. There's a decent chance it had nothing to do with the shooting, but also a decent chance that this kind of person would assault a cop which is far from a rare situation no matter how many times you say "well any rational person wouldn't want to assault a cop just because they think they got fingered for a robbery". People aren't always rational, and some bad decisions come with lethal consequences that I'm not going to disagree with. A few weeks ago somebody shot a bunch of rounds at a cop out their car window after getting pulled over a couple blocks away from me for reckless driving - wasn't a rational decision, but they did it and the cop had every right to kill them (and he didn't).

Separate from that issue is the idea of indicting and prosecuting a police officer, which is far too rare given how egregiously cops can gently caress up and get away with it with a slap on the wrist at most. Again, there are circumstances in this specific case that meant a trial would have accomplished absolutely nothing. Even if, in reality, the cop had screamed RAHOWA until his throat bled while dumping lead into this kid, there's gently caress all evidence to work with. A trial would have had only one possible conclusion and it wouldn't have assuaged anyone's issues with accountability for the police force.

If we get a Rosa Parks-style incident to rally around in modern times it's going to involve a death that everyone can point to and say "This is clearly wrong, the evidence is there, and the system is working against justice for the victim" and it'll probably be effective. This isn't it, but I'm not going to be the person to wish for some poor rear end in a top hat to get martyred so I dunno.

In this specific case the evidence seemed fairly compelling that: 1) Brown assaulted Wilson in his vehicle, 2) Brown stopped fleeing, and was moving toward Wilson when he was killed.

Completely agree on your second paragraph. I grew up in a very rural area. The state police were hyper aggressive dbags. The local cops ran the gambit from cool, to completely over the top. I mean that from a department perspective, not individual officer level.

Yeah :(

Mike-o posted:

If they had employed CS gas, every one of those people on the streets would be puking snot and drool from every single orifice.

They'd be pretty tore up. I haven't watched any of the streams, and thankfully don't have cable

justice4trayvawn posted:

This is a real, actual question....Does that type of smoke make you cough like that or is it like a smoke bomb where you can just stand in it and it doesn't really bother?

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA391758

FWIW. I do have experience with Mk18s and I haven't had any issues nor has anyone who has been around. Not sure the differences in composition between smoke in 18, 19, and whatever the cops were using.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 26, 2014

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

justice4trayvawn posted:

Because there are no stupid questions: Have you literally never breathed in smoke before? Is that why you can not comprehend why a smoke grenade would make you cough?

lol CS gas would incur cries of police brutality

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'd heard that they started with smoke but then popped off tear gas when things started getting violent

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
CS gas is nasty enough when you know you're about to be hit with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tremblay posted:

Completely agree on your second paragraph. I grew up in a very rural area. The state police were hyper aggressive dbags. The local cops ran the gambit from cool, to completely over the top. I mean that from a department perspective, not individual officer level.

Yeah :(

Mandatory lapel cams would be a big positive step but there's a lot of resistance so it'll take some time to do.

Anyway that was my big realpost on the subject so now I'm going to keep track of that guy who said he was drinking heavily and panicking over the thought of visiting his family for Thanksgiving because of how they'd react over the Brown case. I'm looking forward to the followup E/N post where he describes how he called his dad a fuckboat and got his co-signed car taken away from him.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

DownByTheWooter posted:

Because there are no stupid questions: Have you literally never breathed in smoke before? Is that why you can not comprehend why a smoke grenade would make you cough?

lol CS gas would incur cries of police brutality

you can breathe through smoke bombs and poo poo p easily fucko just asking a question hooah

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
welcome to the 21st century, you're a racist for thinking a guy who assaulted a police officer and grabbed his gun deserved to be shot!

Why do I even have a facebook account gently caress seriously

e: loving sjws piss me off to the point where I can't english

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 26, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

justice4trayvawn posted:

you can breathe through smoke bombs and poo poo p easily fucko just asking a question hooah

Those smoke canisters pump out thick as poo poo and will most def make you cough but not the "nose to toes" snot drip or irritation you'd see from CS.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

beanieson posted:

Those smoke canisters pump out thick as poo poo and will most def make you cough but not the "nose to toes" snot drip or irritation you'd see from CS.

thank you that clears it up :) (unlike the smoke, HAHA)

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

justice4trayvawn posted:

Normal smoke grenades can hurt a decent bit and cause coughing but are a few 100 times less painful than actual CS. Watching the news feeds last night with anchors talking normally though clouds of "tear gas" interrupted by the occasional cough, I would say that at least in those situations it was normal smoke rather than CS.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Nope it's all tear gas all the time. Did you know that it's BANNED for military use because it's a chemical weapon!? Let me tell you more about

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Nope it's all tear gas all the time. Did you know that it's BANNED for military use because it's a chemical weapon!? Let me tell you more about

Nah man all of the protesters are super hard chargers like that one idiot in my squadron that reenlisted in the gas chamber sans mask like the hard charging motivator he is

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bolow posted:

Nah man all of the protesters are super hard chargers like that one idiot in my squadron that reenlisted in the gas chamber sans mask like the hard charging motivator he is

*scurries after 2 tear gas canisters go off in the crowd, goes home and posts twitter updates about how they'll return to stick it to the man tomorrow*

I'm making a difference!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I can't wait until this blows over and we can get back to discussing videos of people getting beheaded and dropping bombs on Saddam and poo poo.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

*scurries after 2 tear gas canisters go off in the crowd, goes home and posts twitter updates about how they'll return to stick it to the man tomorrow*

I'm making a difference!

Time for some civil disobedience! *does everything the police tell them to do while acting passive aggressive*

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
If it's a chemical weapon than that means it's the same as using WP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
This is a good thread. :3:

There is more reasonable discussion in the GiP current events thread than the entirety of D&D.

• Locked thread