Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I legit don't remember that, though all bug moves were straight up bad in gen 1 and so was Zubat so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Changes from gen I to gen II:

- Bug went from 2x against Poison to .5x
- Poison went from 2× against Bug to 1x
- Ghost went from 0× against Psychic to 2x
- Ice went from 1x against Fire to .5x

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That Ghost one was just weird. People in-game all go on about how Ghost is good against Psychic, and then Night Shade is fixed damage, Lick doesn't affect them, and all three ghosts are poison anyway and get wrecked. Not that they even turn up that often.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gen 1 was hot garbage and the only thing that redeems it to some people is the nostalgia (and the music)

I mean, it was fun at the time especially given that most of us were kids and the genre was completely new. But it aged so, so poorly.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 25, 2014

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Pentaro posted:

I've been thinking about restarting my Y save. Will I have to get another sync ID for Pokémon Global Link?

Yes, you will have to delete the old one first by requesting it through email. Then you can get a new one. It takes a couple days. You will also have to be online In game the same time as other people to re-unlock the hidden abilities and 3rd Pokemon in the friend safaris again.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Man I love filling wondertrade with wingulls named ALLIDOISWING :allears:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like the little details they've put into Sea Mauville; Investigation of everything seems to imply some bad poo poo happened that led to the project being abandoned. Adds some mystery there

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

RC Cola posted:

I was thinking about building a team around metagross and tyranitar. Maybe skarmory as well. How viable is this with the nerf to sand stream?
And who else works well with them? Empoleon? Scizor?

Hippowdon. That and some of the bulkier Rock types since Sandstorm raises their Sp. Def by 50%. If you like to play stall then Carbink and Shuckle become ungodly special walls in the sand.

Bear in mind that you don't need to restrict yourself to Rock, Ground and Steel types. A bunch of Pokemon have abilities that give them boosts in a Sandstorm or just outright ignore the damage.

Stoutland gets Sand Rush which doubles it's Speed in Sand while Cacturne and Heliolisk have Sand Veil which acts as a free use of Double Team while a Sandstorm is active.

Clefable, Alakazam, Sigilyph and Reuniclus all can get Magic Guard which negates all forms of passive damage completely, including from Sand and Hail.

Leavanny and Mandibuzz can have Overcoat, which is an ability that blocks damage from weather but not other sources of passive damage like Magic Guard does. It's not strictly inferior to Magic Guard though as in Gen VI Overcoat got buffed to also block all Powder and Spore moves.

Lastly you can also give any Pokemon the new item Safety Goggles which essentially uses up your item slot in exchange for adding the Overcoat ability.

TLDR: Sand teams have gotten hella versatile the last couple of Gens.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Carlosologist posted:

I like the little details they've put into Sea Mauville; Investigation of everything seems to imply some bad poo poo happened that led to the project being abandoned. Adds some mystery there

anyone know what the deal is in that one room where you're being watched?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

http://serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/interactable.shtml

Get the National Dex, go to room, get both notes, go into any menu (I imagine just so you can't see the character), and Spiritomb will attack you when you exit said menu.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There may be something for you in the top left bookcase, might as well check your bag while you're at it.

^Or just tell 'em outright. You know, works too.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Inflammatory posted:

I think that's the room where Spiritomb is hiding. One of the notes on the back wall there mentions the Odd Keystone. In another room, there's a box full of letters and they're just about the most heartwrenching things ever.

So Professor Cozmo's dad was the chief of Sea Mauville and he hardly ever came home. The letters detail the progression of the younger Cozmo missing his dad while his mom becomes annoyed at the fact that her husband is always working. The parents fight and then they split up and it feels so real oh god :cry:

e; f,b

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I still love the desert region. I thought it was so cool that Gen 3 had a desert and liked that 5 and 6 both had deserts too 5 kind of had the best desert but Gen 3 did it first and all the Pokemon there are cool except Sandshrew, Sandshrew is boring

deftest
May 7, 2011
Just saw a streetpass from a "Metrogoon" in NYC. Recently played Alpha Sapphire. I don't suppose.....

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Why the gently caress does that Spiritomb know Memento?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's just what it learnt at Level 43 and wild Pokemon have the last four moves in their moveset. Its last move it learns is Dark Pulse at Level 49.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I am complaining because I feel like I need to go DexNav a Duskull with Imprison to catch the drat thing. :mad:

e: and before I could do that I managed to lock myself into encountering it when I load my save. :downs:

e2: and then I loving catch it in two Pokeballs once it doesn't suicide within four turns. Now I feel dumb.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 25, 2014

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Can you trade back to X/Y from ORAS? Thants

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

Yes, you will have to delete the old one first by requesting it through email. Then you can get a new one. It takes a couple days. You will also have to be online In game the same time as other people to re-unlock the hidden abilities and 3rd Pokemon in the friend safaris again.

Yikes, I guess I'll just restart without bothering with online stuff then. I just want an extra Yveltal to use as trade fodder.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Yes, as long as you don't try to transfer new ORAS items to X/Y.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yes, as long as you don't try to transfer new ORAS items to X/Y.

What about new moves?

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Thanks, ants.
Thants.

Also yes, plus pokemon bank will always work.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pik_d posted:

What about new moves?

Don't think there are any, by which I mean that stuff like Dragon Rise for Rayquaza was probably already on the cart and you just couldn't get to it. Assuming that is even new.

Though if it's like trading between first and second gen (which is the only thing I really have experience with), then it just won't let you trade something with a move that didn't previously exist. You could always trade between generations though.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't think there are any, by which I mean that stuff like Dragon Rise for Rayquaza was probably already on the cart and you just couldn't get to it. Assuming that is even new.

Though if it's like trading between first and second gen (which is the only thing I really have experience with), then it just won't let you trade something with a move that didn't previously exist. You could always trade between generations though.

That's bullshit!, man. I want Dex-entries on X/Y for the ORAS 'mons.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Uh, what? I said you could trade between them. If you somehow have a move that XY wouldn't allow (you won't), delete it and try again.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dragon Ascent is new and wasn't in the XY code (unlike e.g. Zygarde's secret moves).

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

There are only 4 new moves in ORAS and only 3 are currently available. Precipice Blades, Origin Pulse, Dragon Ascent and Hyperspace Fury. The first three are exclusive to Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza respectively while Hyperspace Fury is limited to, the as-yet unreleased, Hoopa Unbound.

You can't trade anything knowing these moves, holding any of the new Mega Stones or holding the Red and Blue Orbs back to XY. Everything else is perfectly fine.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Huh, if you show the shiny Beldum to Steven during the Delta Episode, he'll mention the Mega Evolution Special Act II, meaning, if anything Alain is canon in the games. Maybe we'll see him in Z as actually working under Lysandre.

The fact the special is also canon with the actual anime just makes things more confusing, but, most likely, we can say that game Alain is not in the same universe as Ash and co.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Crosspeice posted:

Huh, if you show the shiny Beldum to Steven during the Delta Episode, he'll mention the Mega Evolution Special Act II, meaning, if anything Alain is canon in the games. Maybe we'll see him in Z as actually working under Lysandre.

The fact the special is also canon with the actual anime just makes things more confusing, but, most likely, we can say that game Alain is not in the same universe as Ash and co.

The explanation is obviously that Pikachu Prime punched the wall of reality and collapsed the multiverse

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What is the fastest way to hatch an egg?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Flame body, hatching power level 3, find a long straight path and bike up and down it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Is there an early flame-body haver like there was in X/Y? Talonflame brooded over all my eggs like a good mother hen that knew flare blitz and brave bird

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Have something with Flame Body or Magma Armor in your party, pop a hatching O-power, get on your bike, and ride back and forth through the straightaways that are usually near Day-Care Centers.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Is there an early flame-body haver like there was in X/Y? Talonflame brooded over all my eggs like a good mother hen that knew flare blitz and brave bird

Slugma/Macargo. Available once you beat the 3rd Gym.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Slugma! It's the classic egghatcher. Both of its abilities (Magma Armor and Flame Body) speed up egg hatching.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Solumin posted:

Slugma! It's the classic egghatcher. Both of its abilities (Magma Armor and Flame Body) speed up egg hatching.

It's also about the only real use for those piles of magma mucous.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Just for that, I'll use one... just as soon as I get my copy of EU AS. :sigh:

(It'll make hatching the Wynaut Egg easier at least)

Also an idea to nav one with Heat Wave or Flamethrower, otherwise it's Flame Burst until Level 37.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 25, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's nice how the Fairy type has turned Gardevoir into an all-in-one Team Aqua destroyer. Do they even use a single mon that can't be hit with either Fairy or Psychic super-effectively?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nope. Grimer, Zubat, Poochyena, and Carvanha is the Team Aqua repertoire (evolve as necessary). For Team Magma replace Carvanha with Numel and you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
So, I just beat Mossdeep gym and man, that was disappointing. I had Emerald as a kid, so I thought they'd have a Claydol and Xatu as well as the planet rocks, but nope. All they had was Solrock and Lunatone. I had a Sharpedo. The battle was over in 2 turns. :sigh:
I was actually simultaneously looking forward to and dreading that fight because on my most recent playthrough of Emerald, it took me days to beat them, because my team was hilariously weak to both psychic and claydol's earthquake. (I don't remember my team, but I do know that I was using both a Blaziken and a Breloom.)

• Locked thread