Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

These forums have RSS feeds?

Not official ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

YOU'RE the one responsible for setting those up! I've been using them with IFTTT since this summer. Thanks for setting them up!

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

YOU'RE the one responsible for setting those up! I've been using them with IFTTT since this summer. Thanks for setting them up!

It's mostly Marco's code. He gave it to me when he didn't want to keep the feeds up anymore. I've just made a few minor tweaks to keep things working over the years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

You Am I posted:

I thought the App Store still allowed you to download whatever version of an app that suits whatever version of iOS you are running

The developer can turn off that feature on an individual basis which is why I was very surprised that it worked on Overcast.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Can you add podcast files to overcast? Or just downloads?

You cannot. :smith:
(I'm still hunting for a good podcast player than will play files I sync. Pretty sure it doesn't exist. Maybe an Audiobook playing app?)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

~Coxy posted:

You cannot. :smith:
(I'm still hunting for a good podcast player than will play files I sync. Pretty sure it doesn't exist. Maybe an Audiobook playing app?)

God drat it, this is the only feature I even want out of a podcast app and the native one handles it so amazingly badly I'm astonished whenever it actually plays.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Downcast is the only one I've used that lets you import your own files to listen to through its player.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For Overcast, am I correct in understanding that podcasts have to be processed by their servers before they're available for downloading due to Smart Speed and Voice Boost? If so, aren't we at the mercy of the developer?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 25, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

For Overcast, am I correct in understanding that podcasts have to be processed by their servers before they're available for downloading due to Smart Speed and Voice Boost? If so, aren't we at the mercy of the developer?

No. Smart speed and voice boost are done on the device as you play it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Just a heads up for those that normally wouldn't bother using it, awful.app now includes a systemwide SA Smilies keyboard extension.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Overcast has a web player at their website that syncs with your app. This sold it for me because I can listen to pods on my laptop at work.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Downcast is the only one I've used that lets you import your own files to listen to through its player.

iCatcher will also do this. It's a great podcast app that doesn't get enough love.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

Overcast has a web player at their website that syncs with your app. This sold it for me because I can listen to pods on my laptop at work.

Also Marco has tweeted that there eventually will be a desktop mac client.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

~Coxy posted:

What's the use case for this? Where are your podcast files coming from? If they're not attached to a feed somewhere, isn't it technically...not a podcast?

(password nonsense aside, of course)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Unsyndicated podcast episodes. Audiobooks. Speeches/lectures. It's really not a niche thing whatsoever.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

MrSaturn posted:

What's the use case for this? Where are your podcast files coming from? If they're not attached to a feed somewhere, isn't it technically...not a podcast?

For me it's really just the first 200 episodes of Uhh Yeah Dude(the rest are on feed), I like to play the entirety of the episode library while I do things, to pretend I have funny cool friends.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

MrSaturn posted:

You sound like someone that did not buy all of the Hardcore History back episodes.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Does Goodreader allow me to just sync the notes, and highlights, but not the actual file itself? I've got a couple of ebooks and textbooks I would like to annotate and stuff, but if it syncs the entire file we're talking about couple hundred MBs every sync...

Edit: Actually can anyone recommend a pdf annotator that works well for large pdfs like textbooks? Does Goodreader serve this purpose?

The Biggest Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 25, 2014

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sorry to bring up weather app chat, but I bought BeWeather 2 today and found out you can design custom weather icons (including for the widget), and I spent my whole evening designing my own set. Obviously I'm a cool guy and I recommend this app based solely on this cool feature. :cool:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Catching up on the last 4 episodes of Serial, Smart Speed has already saved me 20 minutes. I have world-class buyer's remorse, and I gotta say, spend the $5 and upgrade Overcast.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is Smart Speed still useful for tightly edited podcasts like Serial? I would think it'd detract from the tone and timing that was original meant.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use it for those, so yeah.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Josh Lyman posted:

Catching up on the last 4 episodes of Serial, Smart Speed has already saved me 20 minutes. I have world-class buyer's remorse, and I gotta say, spend the $5 and upgrade Overcast.

I didn't want to gently caress with the editing of Serial so I disabled all effects for that one on Overcast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

I didn't want to gently caress with the editing of Serial so I disabled all effects for that one on Overcast.
I listened to the first 5 at normal speed and didn't really notice a difference.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Is Serial 52 episodes or does it end at the end of the year? I can't imagine there is much story left but she just keeps pulling our more riveting poo poo.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is Serial 52 episodes or does it end at the end of the year? I can't imagine there is much story left but she just keeps pulling our more riveting poo poo.

The original plan was for 12 episodes, but since they are making them as they go along there are no guarantees.

Does anyone else find certain podcasts ending a minute or so early with Overcast? The most recent episode of On The Media had this problem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The outro of episode 9 makes it feel like episode 10 might be the last.

Edit: ^ I guess not. In theory, they could tack on an episode or two at the end with new evidence they've gathered since the series premiered.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Zigmidge posted:

Unsyndicated podcast episodes. Audiobooks. Speeches/lectures. It's really not a niche thing whatsoever.

I think two or three years ago it was a niche thing but it's becoming more common rather than less common as more podcasts add a premium component that's based on downloading the episodes rather than a premium podcast feed.

For better or worse I still think the stock podcast app handles manual files the best/cheapest if you are someone who doesn't hate plugging your phone in on a regular basis. Soundhound (the shazam alternative) actually does a pretty decent job too, as it just plays anything that's an mp3/mp4 file that's on a playlist (a good work around if you're having the bug where things are invisible in Music even though they're clearly on the phone).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

The original plan was for 12 episodes, but since they are making them as they go along there are no guarantees.

Does anyone else find certain podcasts ending a minute or so early with Overcast? The most recent episode of On The Media had this problem.
I've run into this a few times, but it's usually during an outro, anyway, so I haven't ever cared if I don't get to hear someone say "Enjoy your burrito."

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

ChetReckless posted:

I've only noticed this with On The Media.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Does Goodreader allow me to just sync the notes, and highlights, but not the actual file itself? I've got a couple of ebooks and textbooks I would like to annotate and stuff, but if it syncs the entire file we're talking about couple hundred MBs every sync...

Edit: Actually can anyone recommend a pdf annotator that works well for large pdfs like textbooks? Does Goodreader serve this purpose?

I don't think you can do just the annotations unfortunately. I'm no expert though. What I've been doing is just waiting until I'm at home on Wi-Fi to sync for the most part. Another option is to cut the PDF apart and just use the sections you need each week.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm curious about Smart Speed but I mostly listen to comedy podcasts which seem like they might not benefit from time crunching. I feel like everything will end up sounding overly edited like You Look Nice Today.

Are the cuts noticeable enough that it's generally not worth messing with the timing?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

Are the cuts noticeable enough that it's generally not worth messing with the timing?

In my opinion, the cuts aren't noticeable at all until you go back and listen to something at regular speed after getting used to hearing it with smart speed.

You can try it for free though. If you're curious about it, just try it out.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Snowy posted:

I'm curious about Smart Speed but I mostly listen to comedy podcasts which seem like they might not benefit from time crunching. I feel like everything will end up sounding overly edited like You Look Nice Today.

There are some podcasts I really don't notice it at all and some I turn it off for. Best thing to do is download the app and use the free five minute chunks to see for yourself.

For those that don't know, Smart Speed doesn't just trim out silences wholesale. It reduces silences proportionally, so longer silences are still longer than shorter silences. At least 20% of the silence is always there. So it may not sound as 'off' as you might fear. You can also have different SS settings remembered for each podcast. Even if you turn SS off, you still get Voice Boost and push, so it's all good.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

And sometimes it makes podcasts better - Rachel and Miles X-plain the X-Men is a good example. I started listening to it with smart speed and they have great timing.

I listened to it on my wife's phone one day in a different app, and, actually their timing is kinda off.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Sort of. It does use a centralized server that crawls all the podcasts constantly and sends out push notifications to the app when there are new ones. Some other apps just poll the feeds themselves constantly, but that's probably a better task for a server that's plugged in.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rick posted:

I think two or three years ago it was a niche thing but it's becoming more common rather than less common as more podcasts add a premium component that's based on downloading the episodes rather than a premium podcast feed.

For better or worse I still think the stock podcast app handles manual files the best/cheapest if you are someone who doesn't hate plugging your phone in on a regular basis. Soundhound (the shazam alternative) actually does a pretty decent job too, as it just plays anything that's an mp3/mp4 file that's on a playlist (a good work around if you're having the bug where things are invisible in Music even though they're clearly on the phone).

Yeah, I'm using the Apple Podcasts.app right now and "it works" but that's all it does.

Something which could do audio boost on a per-podcast basis would be great.
(Heck, even if it only had global audio boost that would probably get me to buy it.)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Downcast has a global boost.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks, but are you absolutely sure it can play iTunes synced podcasts because everything in the app description leads me to think that it cannot.
Or at least podcast files manually synced through the App Documents pane?

After all, $3.79 is an infinite amount of free Double Beef & Bacon burgers from the Drop Into Maccas app!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

vikingstrike posted:

Downcast has a global boost.

Not nearly as good as Voice Boost in Overcast (in my experience)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Biggest Jerk posted:

It doesn't sync just the annotations, no. So you're right, a couple hundred mb sync every time can be a pain.

But there is a view to see only your annotations, which works perfectly for full books that I annotate, especially if you use some kind of annotation hashtag system to make them easily searchable by keyword. Yeah, I'm nerdy about my annotations. My honours thesis reference page was like 20 pages long and I will never lose a citation again, dammit! :argh: