Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

I haven't watched My Little Monster, but I've read the manga a couple times. It's Good.

The anime version is okay but kind of ends before anything really happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
People are down on Dandy because it didn't get the same ratings as Attack on Titan or Bleach or whatever on Toonami, but it's actually pretty amazing that it's comparable.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is Space Dandy on Netflix the dub? Cause it's supposed to be pretty good and all, and I'd much rather have a good dub of a comedy than subs.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I can't even find Space Dandy on Netflix, is it in some secret land with all the other fun poo poo?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I can't possibly imagine Dandy being any better in a dub, his original voice acting was so good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The dub is good if you never hear the sub; I started with sub so the dub falls flat to me. All about first impressions.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I started with the original and didn't like it, but the dub made Dandy sound less like a irredeemable rear end in a top hat so I went with that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone who doesn't watch Space Dandy in English is a terrible person.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been watching Bodacious Space Pirates and holy poo poo it's such a fun little show. Very cute, but their role as actual pirates in that universe is so confusing and contradictory that I have to not think about it.

Anyway, it's a good show and I like it. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

I've been watching Bodacious Space Pirates and holy poo poo it's such a fun little show. Very cute, but their role as actual pirates in that universe is so confusing and contradictory that I have to not think about it.

Anyway, it's a good show and I like it. :colbert:

I've been a little confused by it too, but I think for the most part they do charter work. The starliner companies pay them for the pirate attack so the passengers get a thrill (and everything stolen's covered by insurance), along with whatever privateer work they drum up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I had never heard of Space Brothers before, but I just discovered its existence. Planetes is one of my favourites, and here's a more recent show about spaceflight that's up to 100 loving episodes?

Please tell me it's good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I can't possibly imagine Dandy being any better in a dub, his original voice acting was so good.

the cute little robot i've seen in youtube clips doesn't have autotune in the subs, which is kind of a turn-off.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Hakkesshu posted:

I had never heard of Space Brothers before, but I just discovered its existence. Planetes is one of my favourites, and here's a more recent show about spaceflight that's up to 100 loving episodes?

Yes. Keep in mind that's it's still an ongoing manga so the anime just ends at a convenient arc-end point. Also some episodes are slower than others when they basically stretch one whole chapter out into one episode, so that's also something to keep in mind.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been a little confused by it too, but I think for the most part they do charter work. The starliner companies pay them for the pirate attack so the passengers get a thrill (and everything stolen's covered by insurance), along with whatever privateer work they drum up.

I think I'm one of the few people who didn't like the show overall. It had such high production values and I liked the premise, but I spent the whole time just wishing there were any stakes at all. Even when they were in danger, the whole show is just so drat safe that I never felt an ounce of tension.

I realize that this is me being unable to enjoy the show for what it is and not something inherently wrong with the show. But I have certain expectations when I hear "space pirate," and they include believable danger at some point. Couldn't get over it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bodacious Space Pirates' main problem is the utter disconnect between title expectations and actual show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah I didn't give a poo poo about that show I felt like I watched 7 episodes and nothing interesting happened it was just a bunch of happy girls being happy doing things I dunno.

The title is incredibly inaccurate, as stated. Lotsa people seem to love it though

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

More people should have watched the Ariel OVA's that were based on novels by the same author before Bodacious Space Pirates. Probably would have given them a good indication of what the series was going to be.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I really wanted to like it. It might be better now that it's over actually. But the pace of the show was mind-numbing while it was airing. Something important about to happen? Here, have five to ten episodes of this completely unrelated thing. You are welcome. I mean, it wasn't filler. But the constant detours into back story land eventually killed the show for me. Which sucks. Because the show being populated almost entirely with fully realized characters was excellent, but hearing about every single one of them just got to be too much for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bodacious Space Pirates is the closest anime has come to hard SF.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hakkesshu posted:

It's not bad. But it's literally a training montage spread out over 60 episodes.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Mors Rattus posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates' main problem is the utter disconnect between title expectations and actual show.

Even the first few episodes set those expectations. There's the attempted kidnapping and gunfight disrupting an otherwise normal life, there's the mother teaching her daughter to use guns. It makes you think that she's about to go off into this life of danger and questionable morality, but no, it's her getting offered a job by a wandering theatre troupe.

:sigh:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

TARDISman posted:

I can't even find Space Dandy on Netflix, is it in some secret land with all the other fun poo poo?

It's on UK Netflix, in a secret land with a lot of terrible poo poo

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates is the closest anime has come to hard SF.

Gunbuster, Planetes

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is there a Comixology-like service for manga? Something with a decent store that I can just buy and read from my iPad/computer with little hassle

coathat
May 21, 2007

Kindle, iBooks, and Nook apps all have tons of manga. The Viz manga app is good too.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Razzled posted:

Is there a Comixology-like service for manga? Something with a decent store that I can just buy and read from my iPad/computer with little hassle

There was but it tanked hard.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Crunchyroll also has an option you can add to your account to read the list of manga that they publish. Some of 'em are decent enough.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Razzled posted:

There's even some on Comixology!
https://www.comixology.com/Manga/comics-genre/29

Crunchyroll has some good series on their reader (for me that's mainly Spirit Circle, but it also has the absurdly popular Attack on Titan), Viz has a pretty decent selection for theirs too, including a digital subscription to Weekly Shonen Jump. Both of these have completed series, as well as current, up to date simulpubs.

Nothing quite as centralised as Comixology, but digital manga are definitely A Thing.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Cool thanks guys. Found Ore monogatari!! on Comixology. Loved it, so thanks also to whoever recommended it earlier.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm looking for some no nonsense action in the vein of Noir.

I didn't like the first couple episodes of Phantom I saw.

(Netflix availability would be a plus, but that narrows the selection)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 3, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rinkles posted:

I'm looking for some no nonsense action in the vein of Noir.
Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja form a sort of triptych with Noir, so if what you're looking for is "more Noir" those would be your best place to start.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

El Cazador de la Bruja

what does the tagline 'they won't choose between dead or alive' mean? are they taking the bounties undead??

edit: realized that maybe they are the ones being hunted instead

Davincie fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 3, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've recently been reading Bakuman the past couple weeks when I have the time, and I'm really really enjoying it. Only about half way through but I like all the characters, and the general flow of things. Is there anything that has a similar feel to it? Doesn't have to be about making manga or anything but just someone or a group of friends tryin to make it big with something.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

is there any recent anime (like this decade) that is both a. good and b. not set in a high school, i think the only one i found last time i searched was mushishi which was cool but not really my style

dont you suggest jojo either, dont you loving dare, dont even loving think about it or im gonna flip my lid!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Starting in 2011.

Level E
Giant Killing
DD Hokuto no Ken
Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san
Tiger & Bunny
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Fate/Zero
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Moyashimon Returns
Lupin the Third, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Jormungand
Humanity Has Declined
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Kyousou Giga
The Devil is a Part-Timer
Genshiken Nidaime
Hitsugi no Chaika

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

well fate/zero at least seems like it meets the ridiculous anime fight quota so hopefully the parts around it are good too!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Control Volume posted:

is there any recent anime (like this decade) that is both a. good and b. not set in a high school, i think the only one i found last time i searched was mushishi which was cool but not really my style

dont you suggest jojo either, dont you loving dare, dont even loving think about it or im gonna flip my lid!

Barakamon, Tatami Galaxy, Psycho-Pass are all things.

If you mean "in the last ten years" and not "in the 2010s" then yeah there's shitloads.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gundam Unicorn is pretty good.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Control Volume posted:

is there any recent anime (like this decade) that is both a. good and b. not set in a high school

- Madoka Magica(It's in middle school! But no, seriously, this is a Good Show)
- Psycho-Pass
- Shinsekai Yori
- Steins;Gate
- Penguindrum
- Gatchaman Crowds
- Uchoten Kazoku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Barakamon, Tatami Galaxy, Psycho-Pass are all things.

If you mean "in the last ten years" and not "in the 2010s" then yeah there's shitloads.

Seconding Tatami Galaxy, and then watch everything else Yuasa directed.

• Locked thread