Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Entropic posted:

That sounds like a really terrible plan. Like bringing a gun to an ICBM fight.

Hey man, you're gonna need chaff so old Emmy doesn't annihilate your useful stuff right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Zoness posted:

I won against onboard relics twice in GPNJ with manaless dredge and was a turn off from a kill in a third game involving 2 relic second ability activations out of 5 sideboarded games where relic could have shown up. So for 8 matches that's 5 games where relic was in the deck, 3 where it showed up, 1 where it did anything. Sure there's probably (read: very likely) some pilot error but I don't think it's actually the scariest card to face as dredge when things like Cage, RIP, Tormod's Crypt, Containment Priest exist.

Relic isn't really reliable unless you can hit 2 of them, and if you're trying to sandbag them for having mana up to pop them and therefore not play one turn 1, the mana (and arguably more common) version of dredge could have Cabal Therapy naming relic.

It's the turn two part that kills me. I haven't ever lost to a quick dredge deck. Surgical extraction, relic, cage, crypt all easily sideboard into any deck. If you are playing white you should rest in peace in your sideboard. Anyone can stick Leyline of the void in the sideboard. There is too much graveyard hate to lose to dredge. Then you mulligan until you get the card you need. Playing Jund I have mulled down to 3 to get a Leyline in play and win against dredge.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Unban Bazaar of Baghdad and watch Dredge go wild, in my opinion.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Not to reopen all the Comp REL arguments again, but Ari Lax is getting a lot of poo poo for his latest article on GP Ottawa. Apparently he conceded a game 3, they shook hands, he waited until his opponent scooped up an unrevealed Morph, called a judge, and his opponent got a Game/Match loss.

Everyone agrees it was in keeping with the rules/policies of the event, but I guess it looked like Ari intentionally waited for his opponent to scoop to go for the technicality win instead of just asking the card be flipped? I wonder if it was an on-camera match.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
What follows is possibly the weirdest/dumbest MtG trivia I've ever bothered to spend excessive amounts of time looking through magiccards.info for.

So, when Runed Halo comes into play, you name a card and you get protection from that name. Now, tokens aren't cards. Buuuut, if you name a card which happens to have a name that a token also has, you do get protection from those tokens. You've got protection from objects with that name, not cards with that name, despite having to name a card in the first place.

OK, now I can't stop thinking about this. What tokens can you get protection from with Runed Halo? As it turns out:

Urza's Factory Assembly-Worker tokens
Meloku and Summoner's Bane Illusion tokens (thanks to Illusion//Reality)
Crib Swap's Shapeshifter tokens
Splintering Wind's Splinter tokens
Prossh's Kobolds of Kher Keep tokens

Plus the Future Sight cycle of named-token producers let you can name a card and get protection from the token copies, encompassing:
Festering Goblin
Kobolds of Kher Keep (again)
Cloud Sprite
Metallic Sliver
Llanowar Elves
Goldmeadow Harrier
Spark Elemental

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 26, 2014

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

qbert posted:

Not to reopen all the Comp REL arguments again, but Ari Lax is getting a lot of poo poo for his latest article on GP Ottawa. Apparently he conceded a game 3, they shook hands, he waited until his opponent scooped up an unrevealed Morph, called a judge, and his opponent got a Game/Match loss.

Everyone agrees it was in keeping with the rules/policies of the event, but I guess it looked like Ari intentionally waited for his opponent to scoop to go for the technicality win instead of just asking the card be flipped? I wonder if it was an on-camera match.

At a GP? Well, that's the rules. There's nothing illegal or problematic about following the rules to the letter. The problematic part is that the rules actively encourage being a dick, but given that they do, I can't blame someone for carrying that out.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Myriad Truths posted:

At a GP? Well, that's the rules. There's nothing illegal or problematic about following the rules to the letter. The problematic part is that the rules actively encourage being a dick, but given that they do, I can't blame someone for carrying that out.

I just perused his twitter timeline and I'm guessing that didn't help matters:

quote:

6-3, oh wait you didn't reveal your morph. 7-2.

@norbert88 I don't know why you are shocked over rules enforcement.

@revo_ @norbert88 I've said since day one of Khans the rule is dumb. If they are going to apply though it I'll take the wins.

@revo_ @norbert88 Why would I ever be embarrassed about winning within the rules? I don't play to apologize for a win, I hit the 1 outer.

@ivipivi1991 I have good operations and remove my morphs from the sleeve so they are uniquely identifiable after the game. He didn't.

@Defekter He picked up the morph, I called a judge. Pretty straightforward.

@norbert88 His decision to make or not make legal plays has no bearing on mine.

3. Glad the lesson of the weekend is the current morph rules are so bad that people are mad when they are properly enforced. FixplzWotC.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Myriad Truths posted:

Sure you can. It's not a question of merit

If there's a trigger on board that would cause your opponent to win and they miss it, that is an instance of winning based on superior awareness/skill/whatever. But if you've already conceded, shaken somebody's hand and then "gotcha!"d them on some nonsense like that? That's a different story. In that instance, you are actively tricking the other player by allowing them to think the game is settled

The rules don't encourage this. Unpleasant "MUST WIN NO MATTER WHAT" attitude does

edit: Calling it a "one-outer" is particularly unpleasant. This is the "ouch! REF, HE FOULED ME!" of magic cards

deftest fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 26, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's the turn two part that kills me. I haven't ever lost to a quick dredge deck. Surgical extraction, relic, cage, crypt all easily sideboard into any deck. If you are playing white you should rest in peace in your sideboard. Anyone can stick Leyline of the void in the sideboard. There is too much graveyard hate to lose to dredge. Then you mulligan until you get the card you need. Playing Jund I have mulled down to 3 to get a Leyline in play and win against dredge.

I don't think this is the case because you're devoting a lot of slots for a deck that isn't played very often. I mean, yes, they can be easily cast, but a lot of players aren't willing to devote the slots because the cards aren't nearly as good in other matchups.

There's more hate than there was 4 years ago and dredge hasn't gotten significantly more cards, but it's not like sideboards have gotten bigger. Every sideboard slot aimed at dredge/graveyard strategy is a slot that doesn't necessarily stop storm, sneak and show, delver, etc. That's pretty much the angle I see playing dredge from because yes, if everyone packs 15 cards against you, your odds of winning game 2 and game 3 get a lot lower, but most decks rarely go past 3 pieces of dedicated hate in the 75, although most decks have way more disruption than most players would think.

I'm not saying that it's outright stupid to just pack all dredge hate in your sideboard, I'm just saying that there are valid reasons that people don't.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Well, what are you supposed to do when your opponent scoops up his cards without flipping a morph? Is it your fault for expecting him to know the rules and not reminding him ahead of time?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

That situation definitely feels bad, but at comp REL, everyone should know what they are getting into, especially with regards to morphs in Khans.

At every Comp REL event I've been to during KTK, the head judge made a very clear announcement at the start regarding morphs. I can't speak to that particular event, but I wouldn't be surprised if a similar announcement was made.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Sleep of Bronze posted:

What follows is possibly the weirdest/dumbest MtG trivia I've ever bothered to spend excessive amounts of time looking through magiccards.info for.

So, when Runed Halo comes into play, you name a card and you get protection from that name. Now, tokens aren't cards. Buuuut, if you name a card which happens to have a name that a token also has, you do get protection from those tokens. You've got protection from objects with that name, not cards with that name, despite having to name a card in the first place.

OK, now I can't stop thinking about this. What tokens can you get protection from with Runed Halo? As it turns out:

Urza's Factory Assembly-Worker tokens
Meloku and Summoner's Bane Illusion tokens (thanks to Illusion//Reality)
Crib Swap's Shapeshifter tokens
Splintering Wind's Splinter tokens
Prossh's Kobolds of Kher Keep tokens

Plus the Future Sight cycle of named-token producers let you can name a card and get protection from the token copies, encompassing:
Festering Goblin
Kobolds of Kher Keep (again)
Cloud Sprite
Metallic Sliver
Llanowar Elves
Goldmeadow Harrier
Spark Elemental

A related question I've had in the back of my mind: what creatures are there whose names are identical (or close) to their creature types? For example, Goblin Wizard is a goblin wizard, Goblin Mutant is a goblin mutant, Nomadic Elf is an elf nomad, Elvish Scout is an elf scout, etc.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I can tell you at least two more: Cat Warriors are Cat Warriors and Goblin Scouts are Goblin Scouts. These two upset me, because there are Cat Warrior and Goblin Scout tokens, and I was really hoping they'd count for the Runed Halo thing, but the stupid plural got in the way.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

A related question I've had in the back of my mind: what creatures are there whose names are identical (or close) to their creature types? For example, Goblin Wizard is a goblin wizard, Goblin Mutant is a goblin mutant, Nomadic Elf is an elf nomad, Elvish Scout is an elf scout, etc.

This just made me realize how prejudice Wizards are against all non-human species. Probably every creature type has a card with the species in the name (Elvish blank, Dwarvish blank, blank Goblin, etc), but there's not a single "Human blank" card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

There's nothing in the rules against it but there's nothing against calling Ari Lax a grimy, miserable piece of human trash for doing it either so here we are I guess :shrug:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

qbert posted:

This just made me realize how prejudice Wizards are against all non-human species. Probably every creature type has a card with the species in the name (Elvish blank, Dwarvish blank, blank Goblin, etc), but there's not a single "Human blank" card.

That's because Humans didn't become a creature type until the "Race plus Occupation" convention of humanoid creature typing was established during Mirrodin block. Creatures that are just Elf, Goblin or Merfolk or whatever are grandfathered in from older sets, and even then a bunch of those cards have had their Oracle text updated to add an occupation. Also there are some Humans with no occupation if you count Oracle text as opposed to printed text.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 26, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's nothing in the rules against it but there's nothing against calling Ari Lax a grimy, miserable piece of human trash for doing it either so here we are I guess :shrug:

Haha don't be such a babby. The opponent totally broke the rules, that they stress very carefully at the beginning of every khans limited event, and Ari really had no part in it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

deftest posted:

If there's a trigger on board that would cause your opponent to win and they miss it, that is an instance of winning based on superior awareness/skill/whatever. But if you've already conceded, shaken somebody's hand and then "gotcha!"d them on some nonsense like that? That's a different story. In that instance, you are actively tricking the other player by allowing them to think the game is settled

The rules don't encourage this. Unpleasant "MUST WIN NO MATTER WHAT" attitude does

edit: Calling it a "one-outer" is particularly unpleasant. This is the "ouch! REF, HE FOULED ME!" of magic cards

Jesus dude, what about that is a trick? He says "I concede" (or whatever) and that means the game is over, time to do what you do at the end of a game--which means if you have a face-down morph, you reveal it. Nothing about the fact that Ari scooped rather than losing by taking twenty, or anything else, changes that. Guess what, the penalty for not doing that is apparently a game loss. I mean, the only other way to approach it would be to give both Ari and his opponent the loss that round. I don't know if they can even do that (will Reporter accept a 0-0?) or based on what criteria the judges made the decision that Ari was officially given the win for the round.

I mean, if Ari went into smugger mcsmuggerson mode the moment he caught his opponent out in that, or if he was actively angling to jedi mind trick them by distracting them while they were picking up their cards, then okay, he's a dick. But all else being equal, how do you blame a person for calling a judge for an infraction that warrants a game loss, and duly having their opponent given said game loss?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this is almost a week late but this is probably the greatest thing I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXS4uLEmA_o&t=570s

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

You can search for it on Gatherer.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+%5Bm/%5E::subtype::$/%5D

The search returns some tokens and lands. It also misses some of the other creatures mentioned, because they are not exact matches.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 26, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

JerryLee posted:

I mean, if Ari went into smugger mcsmuggerson mode the moment he caught his opponent out in that

His first tweet about the incident seemed pretty smug.

Coincidentally, LSV wrote about the morph rule extensively in an article yesterday, and I strongly agree with his opinions.

quote:

1. Players playing lands/Banners/tokens/the Ace of Spades as morphs. It's clearly a huge advantage to turn a useless card into a free 2/2, but I actually do not think this is a likely or even smart cheat. Let's say you wanted to cheat, and the only factors that you considered were the penalties and chances of getting caught, setting aside all moral reasons not to cheat (which are what actually stop most people). This is an extremely low-value cheat, because the odds that a random 2/2 dies or gets bounced are pretty high, and a 2/2 that you cannot flip up or even risk in combat isn't valuable at all. If you do just boldfaced run a land as a morph, odds are you will be discovered, and then you run a very real risk of a DQ/suspension. I do not find this to be a compelling reason to have such a high penalty attached to failure to reveal.

3. Players not revealing morphs because they forget to. Here is where I feel the whole community benefits. If your opponent forgets to reveal, under the current rules you have incentive to say nothing, wait until it's too late, and collect your game win. That makes them feel horrible, may make you feel horrible, depending on your opinion of the rule, and I believe is overall detrimental to Magic. It makes the end of every game this sick “got ya” moment, and getting game lossed because of this has to be a horrible feeling—especially because I believe the people getting game losses here are not cheating over 99% of the time. If you forget to reveal and your opponent doesn't notice, you got a pretty small advantage, so the punishment being immense doesn't line up for me.

This rule harshly punishes people for what I believe is a minor infraction, and making the penalty less severe will not lead to an outbreak of cheating, because I think the risk/reward does not line up (again, even if you assume a given player has no compunction about cheating to begin with, which is very rarely the case). It also lets players do the sportsmanlike thing without costing themselves tournament equity, which I think is a huge net gain. Some players may prefer the world where they win a little bit more at the cost of a lot of people having a much worse time, but I am not one of them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sleep of Bronze posted:

One other thing worth noting is that you have to name a card that's legal in the format. So if you're being beaten down by Kher Keep tokens in Legacy, a Runed Halo will save you, but it's not going to help you in Modern.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

So if you don't like the Three Wolf Tourach, which is clearly best, I'm not sure what you guys are picking as best Hymn to Tourach:

(Three Wolf Tourach)

I don't really dig the art on any of them really -- the thing about 3-Wolf Hymn is that the wolf definitively isn't howling. It's making a refreshing "ahhhhh..." sound after taking a big swig of a drink. Or it's launching into the famous solo from Ave Maria.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 26, 2014

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

So if you don't like the Three Wolf Tourach, which is clearly best, I'm not sure what you guys are picking as best Hymn to Tourach:

(Mustache Tourach)

Quinton Hoover 4 lyfe

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is, 2 mana Planeswalker is probably a bad idea to begin with so long as WOTC is set on making every PW follow the same design they've been using since Lorwyn. Its not like you couldn't make them really good and sort of fair for 2 mana, it would just have to look like this or something:

Bob, the Dark Confidant BB [2]

0: At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

In reality, this is better than Dark Confidant since it lets you draw on the turn you played it, but for a 2 mana walker to be good I think they'd have to give it less than three abilities since the plus ability NEEDS to be bad on a 2-mana walker. The only two designs that I can think of that would really work are a) Does nothing terribly good until you build to a modest ult, or b) more or less just sits there and spams one ability while being super fragile.

This is basically just an enchantment though, and a pretty insane one. The point of walkers (besides being big splashy mythics that sell packs) is that they offer choices. You can kill your Jace Beleran to get some card advantage, or pump him up to dodge more removal, etc.

edit:
Maybe this would be fair:
0: Night's Whisper
-1: Bob on next upkeep.

I do think they should experiment beyond the +, protect this, -, incremental advantage, big ult model though.

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 26, 2014

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Viashino Skeleton

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Is defending the human waste that is Ari Lax some kind of meta-thought experiment for this thread or are people being sincere, I can't really tell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lets Pickle posted:

Viashino Skeleton

Skeletal anything, basically. http://goo.gl/k4Fda2

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Equilibrium posted:

Is defending the human waste that is Ari Lax some kind of meta-thought experiment for this thread or are people being sincere, I can't really tell.

Other than this latest thing with the morph, which I don't get people's issue with anyway, what's wrong with Ari?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Always been a fan of "my dinner with tourach" but the Hoover hymn is my least favorite.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

(An Elf Walks Into a Bar)

This one is the best because it looks like the bad guy from Manos: The Hands of Fate

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

AgentSythe posted:

This one is the best because it looks like the bad guy from Manos: The Hands of Fate

"Th-the M-ma-Master would like y-you to d-d-discard two cards-mmhu." Or are you talking about Frank Zappa with the Hand-cloak?

also, lol "My Dinner with Tourach"

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Dungeon Ecology posted:

"Th-the M-ma-Master would like y-you to d-d-discard two cards-mmhu." Or are you talking about Frank Zappa with the Hand-cloak?

Torgo, 2B
Legendary Lackey

t: add a Knees counter to Torgo. For every Knees counter on Torgo, Torgo can block an additional creature.

2/3

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bugsy posted:

Always been a fan of "my dinner with tourach" but the Hoover hymn is my least favorite.

You talking poo poo about Evil Merlin Hymn? :toughguy:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the idea of a fast, aggressively costed red planeswalker is interesting, Tibalt just fails at that miserably because he has to use his (at best) barely useful plus ability twice before he can do anything else, and even at that point he's underwhelming. Maybe the idea would work better with a minus-only planeswalker, so you can get a short-term but flexible boost.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Warrior Angel. Illusory Angel. Centaur Archer. Elvish Archers. Goblin Assassin. Merfolk Assassin. Zombie Assassin. Assembly-Worker. Atog. Aurochs. Dwarven Berserker. Elvish Berserker. Goblin Berserker. Ogre Berserker. Brushwagg. Camel. Cat Warriors. Cephalid Scout. Cockatrice. Sliver Construct. Skeletal Crocodile. Dauthi Horror. Dauthi Mercenary. Illusory Demon. Vampiric Dragon. Spike Drone. Dwarven Nomad. Dwarven Soldier. Dwarven Warriors. Viashino Warrior. Fungus Elemental. Plant Elemental. Elvish Warrior. Fungus Elemental. Fungus Sliver. Homarid. Homarid Shaman. Homarid Warrior. Ghost Hounds. Vampire Hounds. Illusionary Wall. Juggernaut. Kavu Scout. Nomads en-Kor. Shaman en-Kor. Spirit en-Kor. Warrior en-Kor. Leeches. Leviathan. Lhurgoyf. Lizard Warrior. Masticore. Mercenary Knight. Mercenaries. Metathran Soldier. Metathran Zombie. Minotaur Warrior. Nightmare. Ogre Shaman. Ogre Warrior. Orgg. Phelddagrif. Scarecrow. Shapeshifter. Viashino Skeleton. Skeletal Snake. Skeletal Wurm. Skeletal Vampire. Spike Soldier. Thalakos Scout. Thrull Wizard.

Some other cards whose names are types, but whose types aren't their names:

Angelic Wall. Rogue Elephant. Rogue Kavu. Spike Rogue. Elvish Mystic. Giant Badger. Giant Crab. Giant Octopus. Giant Scorpion. Giant Slug. Giant Spider. Giant Turtle. Spiritmonger. Sand Golem. Sand Squid. Viashino Sandscout. Goblin Scouts. Vampiric Sliver. Mystic Snake. Spike Soldier. Elder Spawn. Elder Druid. Vampiric Spirit. Splinter. Treefolk Mystic. Vampire Bats. Serpent Assassin. Serpent Warrior. Elder Land Wurm. Land Leeches. Snow Hound. Mountain Yeti. Mountain Goat. Forest Bear. Goblin Shrine. Dwarven Shrine. Tribal Golem. Elvish Vanguard. Gate Hound. Dragonlair Spider. Orcish Mine. Tower Drake. Tower Gargoyle.

Bonus card that I found that is great:
Steal Enchantment UU Enchantment - Aura. Enchant enchantment. You control enchanted enchantment.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I don't really dig the art on any of them really -- the thing about 3-Wolf Hymn is that the wolf definitively isn't howling. It's making a refreshing "ahhhhh..." sound after taking a big swig of a drink. Or it's launching into the famous solo from Ave Maria.

Or belting out Dio's "Holy Diver". A fantasy maiden with a perm casting a dark spell atop three-skull mountain is about as 80's metal as it gets.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
My family is asking me what I want for Christmas. Are there any TCGplayer type websites with gift cards? I'd hate to be monotonously pedantic and tell her which pieces of amulet combo I'm lacking.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah, ole Frankie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Anyone else's group regularly get fundamental rules and timing issues wrong?

• Locked thread