Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Drifter posted:

I've ended up using tactical mode in as close to first person view as it lets me get about 70% of the time. Just kinda got resigned to doing it that way, at least I can see poo poo better.

That works for you?

Well, at least we have PoE on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So there is seriously no way to turn off voice chat in the PC version? And the game doesn't seem to be respecting Origin's push to talk button assignment so I'm always transmitting due to ambient noise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
God drat do I feel like an rear end in a top hat whichever way I end Here Lies The Abyss. Can someone who's beaten the game tell me what the results are for each choice? Half the party loves me and half hates me for whichever of the two options I take.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Autonomous Monster posted:

That works for you?

Well, at least we have PoE on the way.

When the only other option is having your face smooshed up against a chessboard, yeah, it works for me.

And yeah, I'm pretty stoked for PoE. I backed it during the kickstarter. :allears:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nova Odin posted:

You certainly won't be experiencing any bugs that reduce follower chatter like DAI. :shepface:

It's definitely a good game though.

Wolves, Arisen!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Polaron posted:

Wolves, Arisen!

Menu option to turn Cole into a literal Pawn from Dragon's Dogma.

"I'm happy we did that."

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Holy poo poo mages and stupid and awful. I couldn't hit the forced conscription option fast enough when given the option. You honestly think I'm going to to trust you idiots with freedom after you sold yourself to the loving Tevinter Imperium? The crazy nation of slavery, blood sacrifices, and more slavery? Yeah, I'm sure you mages can be trusted not to make bad pacts with demons and turn into abominations the first second things start to look bad with a track record like that. I kept waiting to find out Fiona had been blood magic'd into accepting the Tevinter alliance, but no...mages are just that stupid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

keiran_helcyan posted:

Holy poo poo mages and stupid and awful. I couldn't hit the forced conscription option fast enough when given the option. You honestly think I'm going to to trust you idiots with freedom after you sold yourself to the loving Tevinter Imperium? The crazy nation of slavery, blood sacrifices, and more slavery? Yeah, I'm sure you mages can be trusted not to make bad pacts with demons and turn into abominations the first second things start to look bad with a track record like that. I kept waiting to find out Fiona had been blood magic'd into accepting the Tevinter alliance, but no...mages are just that stupid.

You do remember Tevinter guy had the ability to time travel right? Something that's supposedly impossible and let him gently caress with the mages and take them from 'hey lets join the inquisition' to 'holy gently caress we're all going to die'.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Levantine posted:

Cassandra's reaction to (Skyhold spoilers) Varric having hidden Hawke made me laugh out loud. This whole time she keeps saying that she'll kill him if he had been lying to her all this time and sure enough when you show up she's flipping tables to get at him and kick his rear end.

Cassandra has a lot of good moments. Watching her stoic sense of duty fight against her romantic idealism in the romance path is sweet. She's all "This isn't what I want!" and storms off, slamming the door. And then she comes back like three seconds later going on about how, yes, she wants someone to read her poetry and light candles but people are going to think you're just manipulating me and it's not love like in the stories. And then you read her some poetry and she's all 'lol you picked the worst poem goddamn'.

Cassandra is great.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Cometa Rossa posted:

Reminder that Dragon's Dogma is the bizarro Japanese cousin of this game and is amazing if you never picked it up. You trade characters and story (to some extent) for combat that is a billion times more fun.

Dragon's Dogma was the dog's bollocks. It's a shame it never came out on PC (my 360 went tits up and repairs were too pricey). Like most Japanese games the plot made gently caress all sense and was delivered haphazardly, but drat the combat was fun. Riding and stabbing the poo poo out of a larger beast was always good fun. And it had some of the most nerve-racking darkness going. A pity DA:I didn't make more use of darkness, as the engine does it really well

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can someone spoil the choice in the (mid act 2?) Lies the Abyss Fade section? The game specifies that Hawke or Warden dude will 'likely' die, I'm just wondering about repercussions either way. I sort of want Hawke to die as penance for DA2 and it makes sense that the Grey Wardens probably want as much command structure as they can get, but on the other hand the warden dude has a gross mustache that I would like to destroy. Do they ever show up again / is it an actual death sentence / does this choice matter much?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Winter Palace question. I'm not there yet, but should be soon. How do I get the elves to win the war and Briala to come out on top?"

It depends on what you want when you say that. If you mean More or less ruling directly, you have to let the empress get killed and get blackmail material against Gaspard. If you want elves to be treated maybe a little better, you have to unlock the vault in the servants quarter, finding an elven amulet/locket there and show it to both Briala and the Empress handmaidens to make them reconsile and Briala get into a position of some, but not the greatest, power.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Pinball posted:

If you miss an opportunity to recruit an agent (I missed recruiting Ritts in the Hinterlands), can you go back and recruit them? Or is there only one chance?

You can always go back, from what I've seen.

NmareBfly posted:

Can someone spoil the choice in the (mid act 2?) Lies the Abyss Fade section? The game specifies that Hawke or Warden dude will 'likely' die, I'm just wondering about repercussions either way. I sort of want Hawke to die as penance for DA2 and it makes sense that the Grey Wardens probably want as much command structure as they can get, but on the other hand the warden dude has a gross mustache that I would like to destroy. Do they ever show up again / is it an actual death sentence / does this choice matter much?
No idea but I never even played DA2 and still know Stroud is meant to be left over anyone else. He has Riordan's voice actor. Since the choice says "likely" I'm sure the writers are reserving the right to bring that character back whenever they like.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NmareBfly posted:

Can someone spoil the choice in the (mid act 2?) Fade section? The game specifies that Hawke or Warden dude will 'likely' die, I'm just wondering about repercussions either way. I sort of want Hawke to die as penance for DA2 and it makes sense that the Grey Wardens probably want as much command structure as they can get, but on the other hand the warden dude has a gross mustache that I would like to destroy. Do they ever show up again / is it an actual death sentence / does this choice matter much?

Yeah, the one you leave behind dies. If Hawke dies Varric is loving crushed and will leave later on if his approval isn't high enough. Stroud mostly doesn't matter because he is totally backup filler for Loghain or Alistair from Origins. One of them shows up if you have either of them alive and part of the Wardens instead of being drunken hobos/King of Fereldan.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
People keep using the Tevinter Imperium to as an example of why mages shouldn't be free, and it's a profoundly specious notion. Their society is an evil magocracy, yeah, but it's an evil magocracy in ways that have absolutely nothing to do with the fears and paranoia that pro-Circle southerners keep spouting as reasons to fear and lock up mages. There are no demons overrunning Tevinter. There are no tales of out-of-control mages murdering everyone. The two greatest stigmas against mages in the south is that they can't control their powers and that they're magnets for demon possession, but Tevinter shows that these notions are vastly overstated to the point of being non-concerns.

The problem of Tevinter is the inverse of the Ferelden/Orlais situation, in that everyone in charge is a mage so there's a massive influence imbalance in their government, along with the power to enforce that imbalance forever. Whereas in the south, no mages are allowed to be in charge, so of course the system is structured to keep mages disadvantaged forever.

"But they keep slaves!" Yuh huh, and this has to do with their treatment of magic, how?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ugh. I guess it'll be Hawke that survives, then. I'm not doing it for you, Hawke. It's for Varric! Don't let this go to your head! :mad:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tokubetsu posted:

Any dagger rogues beat the dragons yet? How was that fight? Did you die (a lot)?

Dragons are a joke if you're a rogue. Stay on their side between the legs and roll away if they wind up to swipe at you. Once it gets below half health you can start taking huge chunks of life away with Death Blow. If you brought Blackwall along he can keep aggro and live forever if he has a couple points into his Champion tree. I usually brought along a couple mages for an endless stream of barriers too.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cythereal posted:

God drat do I feel like an rear end in a top hat whichever way I end Here Lies The Abyss. Can someone who's beaten the game tell me what the results are for each choice? Half the party loves me and half hates me for whichever of the two options I take.
I don't see how you can tell an army of Darkspawn killers to gently caress off when they were pretty much willing to implement The Worst Idea if it meant they'd end all blights forever before the entire order went crazy at once. Someone not subject to the Calling could have sorted that poo poo out right away... like you!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

It's weird to me, and I don't mean anything bad to you by it, but you seem to be wanting some sort of Dungeon Siege type game here instead of a game where you take control of all your party members to fight 'as strategically as possible'.

That's cool and all, but Baldur's gate et al were all about micromanaging fights, except for trash mobs that weren't all that fun anyway.

You can control where your team stands, if you want varric to fight away from mobs, just put a hold command down on his location you want him to stay at.

Drifter posted:

Much better, sure, but DAI is still very functional to a point.

I really think people complaining so dramatically have issues with understanding what this game lets you do, rather than what they want to do with this game because of how they played other games in the past.

You can get pretty decent controls out of this game if you put the time in. That said, yes, it's nowhere near optimal enough to be called good by any stretch of the term and I don't know what the gently caress is up with the designers who did this willingly, but the combat here is not bad.

In Baldur's Gate, micromanaging was not a problem at all since the view was isometric and you could switch between characters without getting disoriented and losing perspective on the entire battle. Regardless of which character you selected, you were constantly aware of where all enemies were in relation to all your characters, which allowed you to make tactical decisions quickly and effectively. You could see the enemy warrior dashing towards your mage and order your warrior to intercept. You could see the enemy wizard in the middle of a spellcast and order your archer to attack them to try to interrupt their casting. You could see where the enemy archers were positioned and could send your rogue to murder them.

In DA:I, I feel like I'm fighting the camera most of the time in order to get that most basic information about enemy positioning and skill usage. The maximum zoom level is insufficient to get information about the battle as a whole, and the tactical camera is both jarring and worthless. It is especially bad if you're playing a melee character and fighting a large enemy like a pride demon or a dragon. They take up a large portion of your view and prevent you from seeing what is going on, forcing you to switch to a ranged character who hopefully has a better view of the battlefield.

Baldur's Gate wasn't the only game that got combat right. To refresh your memory, here's DA:O combat. Notice two things: one, you were able to zoom out a lot and survey the battlefield, and two, the game clearly communicated what skills the mobs were preparing to use so that you could prepare a defense or an interrupt. It wasn't a flawless system but was leaps and bounds better than DA:I. It made combat fun, at least until later in the game when mobs became repetitive.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

BrianWilly posted:

People keep using the Tevinter Imperium to as an example of why mages shouldn't be free, and it's a profoundly specious notion. Their society is an evil magocracy, yeah, but it's an evil magocracy in ways that have absolutely nothing to do with the fears and paranoia that pro-Circle southerners keep spouting as reasons to fear and lock up mages. There are no demons overrunning Tevinter. There are no tales of out-of-control mages murdering everyone. The two greatest stigmas against mages in the south is that they can't control their powers and that they're magnets for demon possession, but Tevinter shows that these notions are vastly overstated to the point of being non-concerns.

The problem of Tevinter is the inverse of the Ferelden/Orlais situation, in that everyone in charge is a mage so there's a massive influence imbalance in their government, along with the power to enforce that imbalance forever. Whereas in the south, no mages are allowed to be in charge, so of course the system is structured to keep mages disadvantaged forever.

"But they keep slaves!" Yuh huh, and this has to do with their treatment of magic, how?

The old Tevinter Imperium was so drenched in blood magic it created Kirkwall, a city literally designed from the stones up to drive its inhabitants insane and rip a hole in the Veil. According to Dorian the new one is only better in public, but behind closed doors..Well..

KoB
May 1, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

They die.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

evilmiera posted:

It depends on what you want when you say that. If you mean More or less ruling directly, you have to let the empress get killed and get blackmail material against Gaspard. If you want elves to be treated maybe a little better, you have to unlock the vault in the servants quarter, finding an elven amulet/locket there and show it to both Briala and the Empress handmaidens to make them reconsile and Briala get into a position of some, but not the greatest, power.

What do I need to do to get the epilogue where whoever's on the throne is dependent on the Inquisition? I want to CK the gently caress out of this poo poo and a puppet Empress sounds grand.

Zore posted:

Yeah, the one you leave behind dies. If Hawke dies Varric is loving crushed and will leave later on if his approval isn't high enough. Stroud mostly doesn't matter because he is totally backup filler for Loghain or Alistair from Origins. One of them shows up if you have either of them alive and part of the Wardens instead of being drunken hobos/King of Fereldan.

I felt like such a loving rear end in a top hat when I fed Hawke to the spider and Varric came up asking but where's Hawke??? Poor guy was crushed. And then his character card afterwards. :smith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shumagorath posted:

I don't see how you can tell an army of Darkspawn killers to gently caress off when they were pretty much willing to implement The Worst Idea if it meant they'd end all blights forever before the entire order went crazy at once. Someone not subject to the Calling could have sorted that poo poo out right away... like you!

I ended up sacrificing Hawke and sparing the Wardens. I feel like such a dick for doing that with Cole, though, especially as his personal quest started right afterwards and I can tell that this isn't going to lead to a happy choice, either. I do have to wonder why Solas has such a hate-on for the Wardens, though.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

BrianWilly posted:

Tevinter is still really big on Blood Magic which understandably terrifies everyone else.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I do have to wonder why Solas has such a hate-on for the Wardens, though.

Go talk to him afterwards. He basically goes, "Blood magic? Demons? What is wrong with these people?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Go talk to him afterwards. He basically goes, "Blood magic? Demons? What is wrong with these people?"

Which is odd, because one of the first conversations I had with him, my mage Inquisitor expressed interest in blood magic. Solas just shrugged and said it's another form of magic, no more and no less, it's just not one he has any use for.

Wonder if I'm going to terminate the romance with Solas from approval hits.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

hinterlands.jpg

Please tell me the other areas aren't as dense with constant loot/resource nodes, trash mobs and mind-numbing fetch quests. Feels like I'm playing wow again.

Does archery get fun eventually? Right now (level 4-5) I'm just leaning on the attack button, weakly plinking down enemies while waiting for cooldowns.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Uhhh.. Varric's party card changed after Here Lies The Abyss even though I made the choice that saved his friend. Should I be worried?

Krowley posted:

Please tell me the other areas aren't as dense with constant loot/resource nodes, trash mobs and mind-numbing fetch quests. Feels like I'm playing wow again.

Does archery get fun eventually? Right now (level 4-5) I'm just leaning on the attack button, weakly plinking down enemies while waiting for cooldowns.
Yes and from what I've heard, yes.

KoB
May 1, 2009

What do I need to do to get the epilogue where whoever's on the throne is dependent on the Inquisition? I want to CK the gently caress out of this poo poo and a puppet Empress sounds grand.

I felt like such a loving rear end in a top hat when I fed Hawke to the spider and Varric came up asking but where's Hawke??? Poor guy was crushed. And then his character card afterwards. :smith:

I saved Hawke, then Hawke was like "say goodbye to Varric for me" and walked off, even though Varric was there the whole time :v:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I started enjoying this game a lot more once I started to ignore collecting crafting materials entirely.

DA1 to Inquisition question:

If you help that dwarf in Orzamar in DA1 build a chantry, it causes major problems in the epilogue in DA1. Does that ever come up in Inquisition?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

and two, the game clearly communicated what skills the mobs were preparing to use so that you could prepare a defense or an interrupt.

God, look how far DAO zooms out. :allears:

Whenever I've played as Cassandra's sword/shield or Iron Bull's two-hander I've had no problem figuring out when to use shield wall and chain (to interrupt attacks) or using Bull's Block & Strike moves. I think the enemy battle animations are pretty clear in that regard.

And honestly, hit by hit, Inquisition is far superior to any combat animations of DAO. The main issue at hand is the limiting of control and limited control. Look how weightless and unresponsive that DAO combat is.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 26, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Uhhh.. Varric's party card changed after Here Lies The Abyss even though I made the choice that saved his friend. Should I be worried?

His card always changes there. After his personal mission he gets another, much cooler one.

Also, man I feel bad for Varric after his personal mission. I wish Bianca could have actually joined the party, I'd totally take her over about half the cast. And I even like most of them!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Diogines posted:

I started enjoying this game a lot more once I started to ignore collecting crafting materials entirely.

DA1 to Inquisition question:

If you help that dwarf in Orzamar in DA1 build a chantry, it causes major problems in the epilogue in DA1. Does that ever come up in Inquisition?

No. The Dwarf you can send to the Circle does though

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

KoB posted:

No. The Dwarf you can send to the Circle does though

Met her. Just curious.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

God, look how far DAO zooms out. :allears:

Whenever I've played as Cassandra's sword/shield or Iron Bull's two-hander I've had no problem figuring out when to use shield wall and chain (to interrupt attacks) or using Bull's Block & Strike moves. I think the enemy battle animations are pretty clear in that regard.

And honestly, hit by hit, Inquisition is far superior to any combat animations of DAO. The main issue at hand is the limiting of control and limited control. Look how weightless and boring that DAO combat is.

When fighting one enemy, sure. You can tell when a dragon is going to swipe with its tail or use its hind leg to push away a flanker.

When you're in the middle of a crowded battle though? Watching for animations doesn't make sense because a) there are a lot of enemies and b) there are many different animations and there isn't a way for you to memorize all of them.

But yeah, if you don't agree that DA:O's combat interface was far superior, something is wrong with you. I'm sorry.

quote:

And honestly, hit by hit, Inquisition is far superior to any combat animations of DAO. The main issue at hand is the limiting of control and limited control. Look how weightless and unresponsive that DAO combat is.

I'm not talking about the combat itself. I'm talking about the interface, in terms of how easy it is to gather information about what is going on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

But yeah, if you don't agree that DA:O's combat interface was far superior, something is wrong with you. I'm sorry.

What the heck are you on about with this? When did I ever say it wasn't?

And it's just as easy to gather information, I don't know what you're talking about with that. Like, literally, I don't know what you're talking about. Again, not an insult, What information are you talking about gathering? You can tell when someone is going to attack with a skill.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 26, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I would really like the tooltips on the PC hotbar to paraphrase what the ability does, at least.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just chatted with Varric after Hawke's death, and now I'm considering going back and playing that fight yet again and letting Stroud die instead. I'm not sure I've ever felt this conflicted about two linked choices in a Bioware game before.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

I would really like the tooltips on the PC hotbar to paraphrase what the ability does, at least.

No, right, I think we've all said we want this - like, seriously, what good does just having a floating name do. Tell me what the gently caress it does, Bioware. If I didn't want to know I wouldn't have floated my cursor over it.

I'm just not sure what he's arguing, because I've always said the UI was bad, but that the camera on combat was at the very least workable and not worth the denunciation of the entire game - but still should be held against it, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
doppel post.

• Locked thread