Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Macaluso posted:

Have... have you never played Yoshi's Island? The first one, not Yoshi's Island DS or Yoshi's New Island. Cause uh. You should play it. You should very play it.

Yoshi's Island remains one of the best platformers of all time, definitely play it as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Chasiubao posted:

So I just pulled the trigger on the Best Buy Wii U bundle. Picked up Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 earlier on sale so I have a bunch of games waiting to be played. Is there anything I should know about setting up a Wii U / account? Need to pick up a Pro Controller as well. Are the third party ones any good?

When you get to the part of the setup that involves linking an NNID account to the system and you have an existing NNID from a 3DS you want to use you'll get trapped in an endless circle.

To get around this you can create a dummy Mii at that point to get into your console. Then all you do is import your Mii from your 3DS, assign it the NNID you want, and delete the dummy Mii.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Calico Heart posted:

Miiverse is one of the best thing about the Wii u

What the gently caress is the point of the miiverse

Admittedly I only recently purchased my WiiU and still am learning things about it, but it seems to just be a bunch of assholes I don't care about saying poo poo about Bayonetta, Smash, or drawing fanart of Sonic.

If I could just have the home screen replicated on both my gamepad and the TV, I would.

Separately: I have a gamepad (duh) and 2 WiiMote+

My fiancee and I like to play Mario Kart. I don't really want to always use the Gamepad, and she hates it. How do I make controller 1 and 2 both WiiMotes and leave the gamepad as just, like, a "navigate your wii with this" tool

Also: what controller should I use for Smash? I'm super disoriented trying to use the wiimote + nunchuk; I've never used it in my life.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FairGame posted:

It's a forum where 12-year-olds go to talk about how cool Mario is, making it the greatest forum on the internet.

Sometimes people draw amazing things and sometimes people draw amazingly terrible things. Everything is great to look at.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

FairGame posted:

it seems to just be a bunch of assholes I don't care about saying poo poo about Bayonetta, Smash, or drawing fanart of Sonic.

It basically is, but you're posting in this thread, isn't that basically still true here?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FairGame posted:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Yeah!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

FairGame posted:

Controller stuff.

The answer to your problems is to either get classic controllers to plug into your Wiimotes or buy Wii U Pro Controllers (easily one of if not the greatest controllers ever made).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Its pretty amazing that Smash will support 7 remotes through some kind of black magic, but why did they not include the option for "Remote + Classic Controller = Two players" it seems like it wouldve actually been easier. Also Im pretty glad that screenshots save to SD cards for super easy sharing. They should let you save replays to it or something, that would be amazing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I imagine it would be a nightmare to use a remote as a controller with the classic's cord coming out the side. Also I'm sure injuries would arise from two people connected by a short cord playing smash. People would die.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That just sounds super crappy too.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I imagine it would be a nightmare to use a remote as a controller with the classic's cord coming out the side. Also I'm sure injuries would arise from two people connected by a short cord playing smash. People would die.

Every word of that makes me sad about the missed opportunity

RyokoTK posted:

That just sounds super crappy too.

True but the ability to use whatever wacky combination of controllers to get 8 players without actually needing more controllers would be nice.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Every word of that makes me sad about the missed opportunity

Nintendo would probably also have to put one of those obnoxious warning screens during start up.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Nintendo would probably also have to put one of those obnoxious warning screens during start up.

Silhouettes of one guy garotting another with the cable with a big red X

Edit: For those who didnt know, this type of controller arrangement has some precedence

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

When you get to the part of the setup that involves linking an NNID account to the system and you have an existing NNID from a 3DS you want to use you'll get trapped in an endless circle.

To get around this you can create a dummy Mii at that point to get into your console. Then all you do is import your Mii from your 3DS, assign it the NNID you want, and delete the dummy Mii.

I don't have a 3DS or a NNID so that isn't a problem. I assume Nintendo doesn't get the internet, so I probably can't ever change the email address associated? Etc.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Silhouettes of one guy garotting another with the cable with a big red X

See what happens when you don't use the wrist strap!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Wildtortilla posted:

The answer to your problems is to either get classic controllers to plug into your Wiimotes or buy Wii U Pro Controllers (easily one of if not the greatest controllers ever made).

Wait...classic controllers like "the things I bought so I could play Wii VC games?"

Those work on Smash?

Well...that's delightful.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I'm sure the megadrive/genesis micromachines game had a mode where you could play multiplayer sharing one pad.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

FairGame posted:

Wait...classic controllers like "the things I bought so I could play Wii VC games?"

Those work on Smash?

All your Wii controllers will on a Wii U. Its up to the developers to make it work, but in almost all cases anything that uses the new Wii U Pro controller will also use the old Wii Classic controller. The only times I can think of one working but not the other are single-player games so why not just use the standard pad anyways?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

FairGame posted:

Those work on Smash?

Pretty much anything that interacts with the Wii U can be used to play Smash. I'm surprised they don't have WiiFit board controls.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Narcissus1916 posted:

Guys, thank you so much.

I've been feeling like warmed up dogshit for the past week (wrangling paperwork, lovely family members, shittier news stories) and no game I played helped my mood.

And then I played Epic Yarn.

I have no idea what it is about that charming little bastard. It is a basic 2d platformer but it doesn't just make me smile - I've actually giggled at some of the more imaginative designs. Taking Telltale's "lose currency instead of progress" game design really shouldn't translate well to Kirby, yet it all coheres into a stupidly fun time.

SRM posted:

I've been playing Epic Yarn with my ladyfriend and we're enjoying it a lot. We just beat Kirby Superstar on Kirby's Dream Collection a few weeks ago, and I think we'll move on to Mario 3D World once I get a Wii U on Black Friday.

Also I want the narrator in Epic Yarn to read me to sleep every night, it's like listening to sugar-coated velvet.

If you have a lady/manfriend, Return to Dreamland is really fun and super duper cute for a long haul playthrough. We're working our way through the Kirby games and that's probably been the most fun.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I'm kinda wishing I bought Mario Kart when they had that promotion even if I didn't have a Wii U. I think I wasn't convinced to get one yet but I could've had MK+Wind Waker for free.

Knowing Nintendo even if you collected the code it would have expired anyway

Well... at least you can pick up MK8 for $35 on Black Friday instead of paying full price like a sucker.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Miiverse is where I can post stupid jokes like "The last Dracula is in captivity. Transylvania is at peace" with an image from a Castlevania game and people will give me Yeahs.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

True but the ability to use whatever wacky combination of controllers to get 8 players without actually needing more controllers would be nice.

I want to play smash with just the nunchuk

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

oh hey, weird question maybe but;

Our Wii U was a gift from someone. We since made our own Mii's and bought a couple games, but his Nnid is still linked to the console. We didn't actuallu know how to change it, so just ran with it. Is there a way to change it, or would that delete all the games we bought?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Calico Heart posted:

If you have a lady/manfriend, Return to Dreamland is really fun and super duper cute for a long haul playthrough. We're working our way through the Kirby games and that's probably been the most fun.
I think she actually has that one! Maybe once we beat Epic Yarn.

Also just placed an order for that Best Buy deal with the deluxe console, Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, DKC Tropical Freeze and Nintendo Land, then got a Pro controller on top of that :toot: Merry Christmas to me!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Calico Heart posted:

oh hey, weird question maybe but;

Our Wii U was a gift from someone. We since made our own Mii's and bought a couple games, but his Nnid is still linked to the console. We didn't actuallu know how to change it, so just ran with it. Is there a way to change it, or would that delete all the games we bought?

You'd lose your games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

Pretty much anything that interacts with the Wii U can be used to play Smash. I'm surprised they don't have WiiFit board controls.

Now I'm disappointed they don't have them. And there should be a special attack for the Wii Fit Trainer than can only be done using it...

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just picked up Wonderful 101 for $6 at Kmart! Seems to be a Kmart wide price reduction and not individual stores.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
You should've bought ten

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

FairGame posted:

It's a way to save screenshots and make fun of video games.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Looper posted:

You should've bought ten

I bought the last one. They had one copy each of: W101, DKC, LoZWW.

Pokemon XY was also price reduced to $39.99. I don think Kmart knows how video games work.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Miiverse is good because posting video game poo poo to your actual social stuff is annoying and dumb, so they just made their own Facebook exclusively for Nintendo games.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

FairGame posted:

Admittedly I only recently purchased my WiiU and still am learning things about it, but it seems to just be a bunch of assholes I don't care about saying poo poo about Bayonetta, Smash, or drawing fanart of Sonic.

If I could just have the home screen replicated on both my gamepad and the TV, I would.

Separately: I have a gamepad (duh) and 2 WiiMote+

My fiancee and I like to play Mario Kart. I don't really want to always use the Gamepad, and she hates it. How do I make controller 1 and 2 both WiiMotes and leave the gamepad as just, like, a "navigate your wii with this" tool

Also: what controller should I use for Smash? I'm super disoriented trying to use the wiimote + nunchuk; I've never used it in my life.

Pokemon Art Academy on Miiverse is basically DeviantArt at 240p and I love it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

I bought the last one. They had one copy each of: W101, DKC, LoZWW.

Pokemon XY was also price reduced to $39.99. I don think Kmart knows how video games work.

Kmart has had the best Wii U deals in the past 6 months, which was right around the time the only one within 25 miles of me closed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FairGame posted:

Where people can post about their feelings on world matters:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I'm happy there's a sale coming because I just bought a 2TB external drive for my Wii U and I want to start putting stuff on it.

But man, talk about overkill.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, 2 TB for a Wii U is overkill as hell.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I was convinced the next thing for consoles was going to be Facebook integration and this is much much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Just posting to say the Wii U owns.

The Wii U owns!

• Locked thread