Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Sextro posted:

I figured as much. Ideally I'll grab a commercial vitamix from some failed cafe for cheapish, I'm also impatient so when I inevitably give up is there a difference between blendtec, vitamix, or whoever at the 3-400 range?

You can't go wrong with blendtec or vitamix. You're more likely to find a used vitamix, as most kitchen supply purveyors don't carry blendtec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sextro posted:

I figured as much. Ideally I'll grab a commercial vitamix from some failed cafe for cheapish, I'm also impatient so when I inevitably give up is there a difference between blendtec, vitamix, or whoever at the 3-400 range?

3 things you might care about with Vitamix vs Blendtec at that price point:

1. Size:

-Vitamixs are really tall and frequently do not fit under most kitchen cabinets (Or in them for that matter, unless you take the container off the base). You can get around this by A. buying a compact container, but you will sacrifice some volume. or B. getting the G-Series which is a bit more expensive, but shorter form factor without sacrificing volume.
But you can use all 64oz. of volume that are available in the container it comes with.
-Blendtecs have a nice compact shape and will fit under kitchen cabinets. But you can only fill the container 2/3 fulls so it's max capacity is about 42oz with the container it comes with. Of course you can just get a bigger container later if you find you want more capacity.

2. Controls:

-Vitamixs are mostly manual control only. As in you have a knob to control the speed and a switch to turn it on, off, or pulse. Only the top end models have pre-programmed settings.
-Blendtec does have some speed control and the ability to pulse. But compared to a Vitamix, the speed control sucks. It's clear your really supposed to just let the pre-programmed settings do the work.

I prefer Vitamix over Blendtec because of this. I like having the ability to instantly change the speed of the blender to whatever I want, as fast as I want. Blendtec's pre-programmed system never clicks with me, and I just find it annoying.

3. Tamper:

-Vitamix comes with a tamper, it is great. It allows you to make super thick frozen fruit smoothies.
-Blendtec does not come with a tamper, as a result Blendtec is not capable of making super thick frozen fruit smoothies. Someone makes a 3rd party tamper, I don't know if it's any good.

Ok to be fair, you can make a super thick frozen fruit smoothies with the blendtec. But it usually involves you stopping the blendtec every ~10 seconds because an air pocket has formed around the blades and you need to break it up.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Blendtec claims that a tamper isn't needed because of the vortex formed when the blades spin, but it's clearly nonsense - the Vitamix forms the same vortex, and the Blendtec works better with a tamper anyway.

Does Blendtec make an upward motion container? Vitamix does, and it's really handy for making flour or cutting fat into flour for baked goods.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
commercial or home unit, if I weren't getting a vitamix, I'd get a simple rear end kitchenaid or something. blendtec ain't nutin imho

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I own a Vitamix but I have read good things about the Waring exxxxtreme blenders that sell for $350ish.

The only downside is that the jar for it I haven't seen for less than $250, so you're hosed if you want a different jar.

deimos fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 27, 2014

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

mindphlux posted:

commercial or home unit, if I weren't getting a vitamix, I'd get a simple rear end kitchenaid or something. blendtec ain't nutin imho

Gotta say, I bought a kitchenaid blender a couple years ago, and it's pretty much an expensive piece of poo poo. Paid a fortune for it here in Oz as well. The blade unit isn't removable for cleaning, and it's also poorly sealed, so after a couple months it starts leaking, and the only fix is to buy a whole new carafe. The carafe design is also terrible, so something even slightly thick just instantly cavitates and form a huge air pocket.

It's really disappointing, because the motor itself seems very robust, and the base is very solid. I got pulled in by the tons of positive Amazon reviews, but I should have looked closer, as there are quite a few negative reviews mentioning these problems when you dig through them.

JBark fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 27, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JBark posted:

Gotta say, I bought a kitchenaid blender a couple years ago, and it's pretty much an expensive piece of poo poo. Paid a fortune for it here in Oz as well. The blade unit isn't removable for cleaning, and it's also poorly sealed, so after a couple months it starts leaking, and the only fix is to buy a whole new carafe. The carafe design is also terrible, so something even slightly thick just instantly cavitates and form a huge air pocket.

It's really disappointing, because the motor itself seems very robust, and the base is very solid. I got pulled in by the tons of positive Amazon reviews, but I should have looked closer, as there are quite a few negative reviews mentioning these problems when you dig through them.

that sounds really strange, not that I'm discounting your experience. the kitchenaid blender I have has a removable base (that convieniently is threaded the same as a mason jar), a removable rubber gasket to seal, and a dishwashable blade unit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kitchenaid had a blender and then about 3-4 years ago they replaced it with a new model, so you two have different models

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

deimos posted:

Why not splurge on a good blender and make the whole thing on a Vitamix/Blendtec/Warner/etc?

I thought about that too, but most nut butter recipes recommended a food processor.

Just received this thing and I made two batches of butters (one almond butter and one macadamia/brazil nut butter). I'm a bit confused why it only takes 5 minutes to make a full jar when most recipes tell you it takes 20 minutes, but drat it's good.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

theHUNGERian posted:

I thought about that too, but most nut butter recipes recommended a food processor.

Just received this thing and I made two batches of butters (one almond butter and one macadamia/brazil nut butter). I'm a bit confused why it only takes 5 minutes to make a full jar when most recipes tell you it takes 20 minutes, but drat it's good.

When making nut butters, instead of roasting the nuts for a deeper flavor, I like to shallow fry them in their own oil until aromatic. I think the flavor is stronger and more developed.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

When making nut butters, instead of roasting the nuts for a deeper flavor, I like to shallow fry them in their own oil until aromatic. I think the flavor is stronger and more developed.

Because you are reinforcing the flavor with the ingredient you are using. Of course the flavor is stronger.

You may as well say blue is blu-er when you mix it with blue. Of course it is!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Because you are reinforcing the flavor with the ingredient you are using. Of course the flavor is stronger.

You may as well say blue is blu-er when you mix it with blue. Of course it is!

I'm not confused about what is happening and why, but I put "I think" because some people may disagree.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 30, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
gar-
bage
dick

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously, what's up with that?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

Seriously, what's up with that?

It's the new stupid newbie av.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm not confused about what is happening and why, but I put "I think" because some people may disagree.

They'd be wrong then.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

They'd be wrong then.

Are you intentionally nitpicking the one part of that post that was intended to avoid nitpicking?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Are you intentionally nitpicking the one part of that post that was intended to avoid nitpicking?

Possibly? I don't actually remember posting last night, so....

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Are combination food processors/blenders worth a drat at all? Like this guy:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-83...&CID=shopping15

I think I have need for both devices, but if I can have 1 piece of equipment rather than 2 I'd prefer that. I want to make stuff like hot sauce/salsa, chili powder, Pâté, margaritas. I don't like/care about smoothies so any smoothie-centric features for a blender are unimportant to me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

Are combination food processors/blenders worth a drat at all? Like this guy:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-83...&CID=shopping15

I think I have need for both devices, but if I can have 1 piece of equipment rather than 2 I'd prefer that. I want to make stuff like hot sauce/salsa, chili powder, Pâté, margaritas. I don't like/care about smoothies so any smoothie-centric features for a blender are unimportant to me.

From the last page:

BraveUlysses posted:

I thought the 100 dollar Ninja was good when I had one, until I bought a vitamix and finally saw the light. It really doesn't crush ice well enough, the lids are annoying as poo poo and I totally killed the fucker when I made dough in it.

It's a better food processor than a blender, so as long as you don't expect too much from it you'll be OK.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Will a Vitamix fulfill all my needs? Can they grind meat or crush spices?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Just pulled the trigger on an Anova Precision Cooker for $150. I know there was lots of discussion on sous vide devices in the past (particularly that one from Kickstarter), but I don't know if this one was ever discussed. It has excellent reviews on Amazon, but does anybody have any input on this device?

Also, I'm gonna need some advice on which vacuum sealer/bags to get. I know this has been discussed a million times too, but the OP doesn't contain any info and this thread is now way too many pages to search through.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

Will a Vitamix fulfill all my needs? Can they grind meat or crush spices?

I've used my vitamix to grind parmesan chunks into bits and toasted peppers into chili powder. I think i'll try it on a couple cinnamon sticks tonight. No idea about meat though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

Just pulled the trigger on an Anova Precision Cooker for $150. I know there was lots of discussion on sous vide devices in the past (particularly that one from Kickstarter), but I don't know if this one was ever discussed. It has excellent reviews on Amazon, but does anybody have any input on this device?

Also, I'm gonna need some advice on which vacuum sealer/bags to get. I know this has been discussed a million times too, but the OP doesn't contain any info and this thread is now way too many pages to search through.

We have a sous vide thread, we've been talking about it for the last 25 pages or so. I even updated the op to cover the Precision Cooker
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640

It works great, a couple people had defective units and returned them and are awaiting replacements, everyone seems to notice their unit is 1°F off, which will presumably be fixed when the app comes out and allows calibration whenever.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

We have a sous vide thread, we've been talking about it for the last 25 pages or so. I even updated the op to cover the Precision Cooker
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640

It works great, a couple people had defective units and returned them and are awaiting replacements, everyone seems to notice their unit is 1°F off, which will presumably be fixed when the app comes out and allows calibration whenever.

Awesome. I have a lot of reading to do. Thanks

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I hosed up my Emeril by All-Clad 3 qt sauce pan by leaving it on the stove too long. I'd just as soon buy a direct replacement, but Amazon isn't stocking it anymore; I paid $40, but every other tri-ply option seems to be quite a bit more.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 2, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
How is it hosed up?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Josh Lyman posted:

I hosed up my Emeril by All-Clad 3 qt sauce pan by leaving it on the stove too long. I'd just as soon buy a direct replacement, but Amazon isn't stocking it anymore; I paid $40, but every other tri-ply option seems to be quite a bit more.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Standard-Multi-Ply-Stainless-Steel-3-Quart/dp/B00421AYIG/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bob_McBob posted:

How is it hosed up?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It'll probably clean.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Try Bar Keeper's Friend, it has brought some truly nasty stainless steel back to life for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That and steel wool.

It's not warped, is it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

It seems the new All-Clads fixed the one complaint people had with All-Clads (other than the price)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FishBulb posted:

It'll probably clean.

mod sassinator posted:

Try Bar Keeper's Friend, it has brought some truly nasty stainless steel back to life for me.
I gave the inside a once over with Bar Keeper's Friend and it didn't do anything. The best way to describe it is that the surface has changed. Whereas it used to be smooth stainless that I could run a nail across without much trouble, it's now like a nail on a chalkboard.

Steve Yun posted:

That and steel wool.

It's not warped, is it?
I tried to show the ripples on the bottom. It's still flat-ish and technically usable, but it's pretty dire.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I had a friend who left their pot empty for several hours in college, it ended up with a hole in the bottom. It happens.

Your best bet is going to Homegoods, TJMaxx or Ross and seeing if they have comparable 3-ply saucepots (Homegoods is your best bet)

If not, Dino's suggestion looks pretty good!

But seriously try steel wool first just in case

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 2, 2014

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

It seems the new All-Clads fixed the one complaint people had with All-Clads (other than the price)

Nooooooooo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You like the canoe handles?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
awesome. I loving hated those handles to the point where I'd consider anyone who bought that poo poo a complete goddamn chump.

that said I don't think anything else about their pans was offputting, so cool beans. I'll consider picking one up next time I rotate something out.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anyone got some good pressure cooker recommendations, especially ones which are available in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

Anyone got some good pressure cooker recommendations, especially ones which are available in the UK?

Most of the brands available at amazon.co.uk seem to be different from the ones available at amazon.com. I can only recommend:
- get inox
- i got a 6 litre but the maximum fill line is 4 litres and that makes me wish I'd gotten an 8 litre
- get one with good reviews

• Locked thread