Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

It would be cool if there were more realistic military events - namely, constant losses due to disease, especially in doomstacks or on boats.

It's really easy to mod attrition levels. Boats for instance are set to 0 by default, I think ck2+ had it at 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rincewind posted:

Now I'm imagining an LP that just starts out normal and then the skeleton horde arrives from the east and kills everyone.

I still think the best idea for a joke LP is one that uses that awful anime character portraits mod someone found a while back without ever acknowledging that anything is amiss.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Well I did help with the Crusader Kings Z most, so can kinda take that as semi official if you want crazy poo poo.
That's beautiful that is.

Also what influences the chances for Settling Tribes? It seems you having higher titles influences it but nothing else?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I would really just want to know what ethnicity your half-skeletal children would end up as.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also what influences the chances for Settling Tribes? It seems you having higher titles influences it but nothing else?

Duke+ and Stewardship of 13 on your Steward is the best you can do.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

dublish posted:

So if I'm a King, is there any way for me to encourage my duke vassals to adopt succession laws similar to mine?

Anyone?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

No.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

e X posted:

I would really just want to know what ethnicity your half-skeletal children would end up as.

Zombies, obviously!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Well, drat.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I have no idea how but for some reason Tommen turned out like this after Joffrey was killed via exploding inn.

He's not the only one acting horribly out of character though.

Also, awkward couples.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Yeah, what happened to the Sparkly Vampires unit pack!

[small]I'd totally pay good money for an undead unit pack, or the secret bears. Or partner with Lego to have a Danish portrait pack.[/small]

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tommen Dragonslayer is how the series will end.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SeaTard posted:

Seljuk requires a Turkish Duke+, religion and independence have nothing to do with it. For him to go adventuring however, one of Merv, Dihistan, or Khorasan have to be in a different realm.

Timur requires a Mongol Duke+ in the de jure Persian Empire. For him to go adventuring, one of Samarkand, Balkh, Merv, Dihistan, or Khorasan must be in a different realm.

Sabuktigin DOES require a Muslim Duke+ that owns Ghazna; it's the only one with a religious restriction. For him to go conquer anything requires one of Multan, Lahore, Bhakkar, or Nandana to be a different realm.

What about Gengis Khan? Is an early Abbassids blob over Persia able to comfortably sit back as their Bedouin dukes will never get mongol horde invasions?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Excelzior posted:

What about Gengis Khan? Is an early Abbassids blob over Persia able to comfortably sit back as their Bedouin dukes will never get mongol horde invasions?

The Golden Khan and Il-khanate have no restrictions, other than the small chance that the character will die or the MTTH won't fire.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Also, if only one of them converts, they tend to spent their time fighting each other.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

I think that if you're their de jure liege, your succession law should supersede theirs (in combination with realm laws involving inheritance out of the realm). But if it's a titular title, I think you have to wait until they de jure drift over to you. This is all subject to me being very wrong.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

I still think the best idea for a joke LP is one that uses that awful anime character portraits mod someone found a while back without ever acknowledging that anything is amiss.

Whatever happened to that mod anyway? I remember seeing it, going "well that's awful", and then never hearing hide nor hair about it ever since. I wonder if the guy abandoned it?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How does the game handle the Golden Horde and Il-Khanate if you're playing as the Mongol Empire?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FreudianSlippers posted:

How does the game handle the Golden Horde and Il-Khanate if you're playing as the Mongol Empire?

They never show up. The Mongol Empire only shows up in one bookmark and the split into the 4 hordes isn't simulated (you start as Genghis Khan and Tolui is your successor via ultimo.)

The Mongol bookmark incidentally is perfect for a mindless "conquer IT ALL" playthrough.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

I think that if you're their de jure liege, your succession law should supersede theirs (in combination with realm laws involving inheritance out of the realm). But if it's a titular title, I think you have to wait until they de jure drift over to you. This is all subject to me being very wrong.

This is the only way lieges can affect succession, actually - if the de jure liege has High CA and the title was going to be inherited out of the realm, then it won't be. Otherwise there's no vanilla way to influence any of it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is the only way lieges can affect succession, actually - if the de jure liege has High CA and the title was going to be inherited out of the realm, then it won't be. Otherwise there's no vanilla way to influence any of it.

I wonder if I could do a whole lot of revoking/destroying titles to change the laws myself. No time like the present, I guess.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Duke+ and Stewardship of 13 on your Steward is the best you can do.
Lame. Would at least have hoped that going up to king or emperor (only managed that once as tribal though) would give you a bit more. Those odds are pretty slim at times and I swear I've had my arsewipes with high stewardship on top of wrong culture provinces bordering mine and dick all happens for centuries.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Red Minjo posted:

So anyway this causes me to learn that apparently taking the Slavic Pannonia king's last holding destroys the title, and you need a certain culture to create it. Does that prevent me from forming the empire that it and Wallachia are de jure part of? I was hoping I could hand all of that off so that one of my neighboring family kingdoms would actually be of my new faith. I don't find much use in all of my vassal feudal dudes, because my mansion alone gives more than all the Wendish Empire + the Pannonian lands want to.

None of the wikis mention Pannonia at all yet, and everything I've seen about the area otherwise is that the Magyars are supposed to take the land and form Hungary, which obviously isn't going to be happening now. So if I want to form the kingdom and thus be able to form Carpathia, I have to get a ruler with Avar culture, right? Since I'm a merchant republic, that rules out changing my capital to get the culture. Do I keep tossing kids at Avarian people until one is good to be a successor, or is Empire of Carpathia a lost cause for me?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Double posting probably, but unpausing my game for a second after typing that other post made the building project on my erroneous second family mansion finish, and looking at the Republic page shows me with the lowest tier mansion again. Both still show up on my holdings quickbar, including the fully fledged out one I had previously. :wtc:
I'm hoping both that I don't get to double my rewards and also that I don't lose what I got from the original mansion, but I get the feeling that both can't be true. Playing on Ironman too, so I can't fix it with the console.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Do the Byzantines ever go back to Orthodox if you start on the Charlamagne bookmark? I initially wanted to play as an Ortho ruler in Iconoclast Byzantium but I looked at the map and there aren't any; every single count, baron and duke is an Iconoclast. :pwn:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Samolety posted:

I was pretty excited about this and I don't see it on the Paradox forums. Did you post it? It sounds pretty great, I could never get maps to work.

I haven't posted it yet sorry, had more study to do than I thought. I'll post a link in here when it goes up though!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Red Minjo posted:

None of the wikis mention Pannonia at all yet, and everything I've seen about the area otherwise is that the Magyars are supposed to take the land and form Hungary, which obviously isn't going to be happening now. So if I want to form the kingdom and thus be able to form Carpathia, I have to get a ruler with Avar culture, right? Since I'm a merchant republic, that rules out changing my capital to get the culture. Do I keep tossing kids at Avarian people until one is good to be a successor, or is Empire of Carpathia a lost cause for me?

Not really answering your question, but as the Emperor of Sicilia I took Hungary in a crusade and then handed it to my designated heir. He immediately changed it to Pannonia and I got an event message about how Hungary is no longer in the hands of the Avars so now it's known as Pannonia as in ancient times. The button said "sic transit gloria." It threw me off because I figured it should be Magyars, not Avars, but I don't confess to a deep understanding of Hungarian history. I just really like their Dobos Torte and their duck liver.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jonad posted:

Do the Byzantines ever go back to Orthodox if you start on the Charlamagne bookmark? I initially wanted to play as an Ortho ruler in Iconoclast Byzantium but I looked at the map and there aren't any; every single count, baron and duke is an Iconoclast. :pwn:

They usually almost always do, the switch being permanent is rarer in my experience.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Nobody in here seems to have mentioned it, but the next DLC has been announced: Way of Life. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?818076-Crusader-Kings-II-Way-of-Life-announced-Patch-2.3-BETA-will-be-open-to-anyone

It is going to be an expansion on relationships between you and your vassals, lovers, courtiers, etc. It sounds like many more "It's good to be the King" events. This is basically everything I would want. My favourite event in the game is the Republic rival family ball, because it is all so trivial and silly, exactly as families would have been, picking petty fights. Infact, the silly rivalry bullshit is the main reason I prefer playing republics, if they are adding and expanding on some of that poo poo for feudal life, then this game is about to go up in my mind.

Should give players things to do between war.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
:psyduck:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It was mentioned when it was announced but there wasn't exactly a lot of information posted so there's not much to discuss.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

They never show up. The Mongol Empire only shows up in one bookmark and the split into the 4 hordes isn't simulated (you start as Genghis Khan and Tolui is your successor via ultimo.)

The Mongol bookmark incidentally is perfect for a mindless "conquer IT ALL" playthrough.

As the Mongol are now tribal they're stuck with Gavelkind to begin with unfortunately.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Zeron posted:

It was mentioned when it was announced but there wasn't exactly a lot of information posted so there's not much to discuss.

Ah, must've glossed over it, sorry. Either way, psyched for this because I like events in my game. I hope they give you a bunch of events for personal traits. Oh, you are jealous? Well, here is an event to fire because of that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BBJoey posted:

As the Mongol are now tribal they're stuck with Gavelkind to begin with unfortunately.

I think Tengri tribals have the choice of Ultimogniture as well.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Nope, in fact you don't even get the option to switch to Elective Gavelkind (which is what it should really be).

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Actually I just did a couple of tests as the Mongols and uh they or at least their special (?) brand of Gavelkind is completely hosed.

First off, this is the situation before succession:

This is the situation after succession:

But wait, where is the land that I, the emperor, holds? Well:

gently caress.

Immediately after unpausing, as my brothers are vassals of a character (me) with a titular title and no land, they became independent. RIP Mongol Empire.

However, what if we give each of Genghis's non-primary sons a lovely county in the middle of nowhere?
Again, before succession:

After:

Much more workable.

Of note is the fact that my capital changed in succession - it's now a castle, which means that the Mongols are now feudal. This is good, but also bad, because the laws haven't quite kept up:

Based on the opinion bonus, I still have minimal tribal organisation - that wasn't changed to minimal feudal organisation when I converted, so now I have to spend one ruler's life time just implementing the bare minimum of the feudal contract. In addition, I apparently have no law for Viceroyalties and Administration, which doesn't matter as much because those base laws have no affect anyway but is a bit weird.

Also the duchies of Samarkand and Zhetysu have the same coat of arms, thought that was a bit off.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

On the upside, the Mongol's new color is very pretty.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Another Person posted:

Ah, must've glossed over it, sorry. Either way, psyched for this because I like events in my game. I hope they give you a bunch of events for personal traits. Oh, you are jealous? Well, here is an event to fire because of that.

Yeah this is basically the kind of DLC that I feel they should always have been doing as mini-dlc. Most paradox games could use more generic events and with the focus on specific areas/regions of the map since CK2 came out we've been getting a lot of country/religion/culture specific events and not many that apply to everyone.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there a key I can use to automatically select the unit that's leading my army? I'm tired of having to click through the each unit until I reach them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

SeaTard posted:

The Golden Khan and Il-khanate have no restrictions, other than the small chance that the character will die or the MTTH won't fire.

Also, there must be a Pope, which isn't a sure thing if you invade italy with the Tribal Invasion CB.

• Locked thread