Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

T-1000 posted:

No matter how bad politics may get, at least there's always tim-tam cheesecake. This one hasn't been garnished yet because we aren't eating it for a few days; imagine it sprinkled in crumbled tim-tams.

Shout out to Birdstrike for the recipe.

This looks nice. I spent tonight preparing Tim Tam tarts for dessert tomorrow night. Will post pics then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hey, maybe while the Taxi industry is busy fighting Uber they'll forget to keep up their lobbying that prevents new public transport routes being opened, like the much warranted extensions of the Adelaide tram system to everywhere including the airport.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My cab to the airport this morning: driving with one hand on the wheel and the other on a walking stick to actuate the pedals.

I mean at least this meant he could only use one at a time. He only slipped off the brakes once! Totally safe.

(Guy was fully capable of using his legs - he walked to my driveway to meet me and take my bags)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Are we all glad that we have the adults back in control of the Federal Government? I mean all that infighting and leadership rumours that plagued the previous parliament are now just a memory :allears:

Turnbull is now defending his cuts to the ABC and SBS saying that both Hockey and himself mentioned there would be cuts during the run up to last year's election, before Abbott opened his mouth and said there were not going to be any cuts.

David Johnston, the Defence minister (took him two weeks of crying in his office before coming out with this statement) has slammed the Government run ship manufacturer by saying he wouldn't trust them to build a canoe. Needless to say Abbott is busy hosing down the flames from that attack.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
21% of CSIRO staff gone by June? :stare:

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

21% of CSIRO staff gone by June? :stare:
Well that's one less place to bother applying once I graduate.

sidviscous posted:

Thanking you kindly.. My parents are getting this for christmas dessert this year, and if they want pudding they're getting told to love it or leave it.
My advice for crushing the scotch finger biscuits is put them in a big zip-lock bag and hammer them with a jar of peanut butter (or whatever heavy plastic jar you have handy), doing it by hand gets tedious. You can reuse this method for crushing the tim-tams but I try to not go overboard or all the tim-tam-goo will stick to the inside of the bag and you'll never get it out; breaking most of them down into chunks of between 1/8 to 1/4 of a biscuit seems sufficient and there are plenty of smaller particles to fill the gaps between them.

Mad Katter posted:

This looks nice. I spent tonight preparing Tim Tam tarts for dessert tomorrow night. Will post pics then.
Niiice, if you can post the recipe too that would be super.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Source?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So the government actually allowed Sportsbet to release a debit card.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

What?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Sounds scarily close to a licence to punt.

[scoff.gif]

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Queensland is set to enact water legislation that the body responsible for protecting the Great Barrier Reef has warned will pose environmental risks to the reef and coastal waterways.

A package of measures, expected to be voted through this week, will deregulate the use of local water by resources companies, including coal miners, expanding on a model already enjoyed by coal seam gas operators in Queensland.

Critics say the reforms will allow mining companies to take billions of litres of water without the need for a licence and could have an impact on water supplies to regional towns.

The proposals have drawn criticism from the state's local government association, landholders and scientists.

Even the state's coal industry described the legislation as rushed and said there had been insufficient consultation.

But the ruling LNP's huge majority in Queensland means the reforms are almost certain to become law, just a week after they were considered by a parliamentary committee.

Minister says ecological sustainability principle being ditched

Natural Resources and Mines Minister Andrew Cripps acknowledged that the environmental principle underpinning the existing Water Act would be removed.

"We won't be using the principle of ecologically sustainable development as the purpose of the water act in the future," he said.

"But what we will be doing is using the purpose of the water act for the productive and responsible use of water resources which balances the competing interests across the use of water resources in Queensland."

State Opposition MP Jackie Trad, who represents Labor on the committee, said the LNP government was reneging on assurances it had given to UNESCO that all development approvals would be made on the basis of ecological sustainability.

The UN body has repeatedly warned the Queensland government to improve its management of the reef, and could still list it as endangered.

"What this bill will do is allow for an over-allocation of water out of Great Barrier Reef Catchment systems," Ms Trad said.

"If you have less water going into the reef that means the concentrated level of run-off will be quite severe."

A government source told the ABC that 82 new clauses would be added to the 427-page bill. The Opposition received an oral briefing on the new amendments at lunchtime on Tuesday, but had yet to receive any new written material.

The bill could be voted on as early as Tuesday night.

The LNP government has previously been criticised for introducing late amendments to complex natural resources-related legislation.

In its submission to the committee last month, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority warned that allocating water to large users without proper assessment of the cumulative environmental impacts "may lead to unacceptable impacts to coastal waterways and Great Barrier Reef ecosystems".

The Queensland Resources Council, which represents the coal industry, said it supported the LNP Government's policy goal, but described the bill as an "ambitious, complex and substantial piece of legislation" and warned that "proceeding on the current accelerated timeline is to accept a second-best policy development process".

"All water users have been accustomed to deep and on-going consultation at a catchment level, which has simply not been possible in the time allowed for the development of this bill," the QRC wrote in the submission.

"Some otherwise laudable reforms risk being undermined by their hasty implementation."

Mr Cripps disagreed with the QRC. There had been "extensive consultation" with peak bodies, he said.

Laws 'aiding the big end of town'

Tom Crothers, head of the Queensland Government's Water Allocation and Planning group until 2011, said the bill would benefit companies proposing to mine coal in the Galilee Basin in central Queensland.

"The four mines that have been approved already will take potentially up to 1,770 gigalitres of water, that is over three-and-a-half Sydney Harbours, during their life," the former bureaucrat said.

"These are all bits of legislation aiding the big end of town – the mining industry. And what happens is the little guy suffers, the landholders suffers."

Mr Crothers said the bill would affect the Great Artesian Basin.

"The minister is proposing to grant more water to miners up on the Cape out of the Great Artesian Basin, to grant more water to Toowoomba. But he's also proposing to do a Cooper Basin plan which will potentially take more water out of the Great Artesian Basin as well."

Water can be a valuable resource at coal mines, where even contaminated water can be used to wash coal.

By contrast, the coal seam gas industry is struggling to find a workable business model to deal with the saline water found underground alongside the gas.

Landholders complain that they are suffering because the water table is falling and some of the best quality bores have been irreparably depleted.

'Make-good' laws favour gas companies says farmer

Mr Cripps pointed to "make-good" provisions included in the bill, mirroring requirements applied to the coal seam gas industry. He said this would for the first time introduce statutory protections for landholders who lost water.

But landholder and hydrologist Max Winders, who shares his 1,400 hectare feedlot near Dalby with coal seam gas wells, said the existing make-good provisions favoured the gas companies and were not enforced properly.

"We don't get a look-in at all. In fact the current system is [that] all these companies pay $5,000 a megalitre on pulling the salt out of the water and then passing on the recovered water to new irrigation farms, for which they can generate very little," he said.

The whole reform process was short-sighted, Mr Winders said.

"Extractive industry is 20 or 30 years at the most and you've left a landscape where all that underground water is gone forever and there's very little recharge. It's not a very far-reaching policy, and certainly not the one this Government was elected on."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-25/qld-plan-to-let-miners-take-billions-of-litres-of-water/5916740

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpKfPucviYs

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Does anyone still have scoff.gif saved somewhere?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

You what?

I should get out of science and into some unethical industry, business seems to be booming.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Tirade posted:

Does anyone still have scoff.gif saved somewhere?

Yeah I tried to find it a while back but no dice.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.australianracinggreyhound.com/australian-greyhound-racing/sportsbet-launches-new-cash-card-for-punters/58185

Seems fine, or at least no more predatory than anything else they do.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Halo14 posted:

Yeah I tried to find it a while back but no dice.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Look at it, a loving Sportsbet Debit Card. Australia is the lucky country.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
RIP Verdana

Oh wait, D&D appears unaffected, nvm.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I've been seeing obnoxious ads for some online bookie called "Ladbrokes" who advertise their own debit card for ages. Online gambling seems really out of control

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Champion, thanks.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks xPanda, it's so handy!

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

T-1000 posted:

Niiice, if you can post the recipe too that would be super.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/26518/tim+tam+tarts+with+raspberries+and+tim+tam+soil

Not my photo, mine are still in the fridge.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Chris Bowen spoke on ABC news radio this morning in an interview about the 'barnacles coming off the budget'. He was forceful about the govt needing to abandon the budget and start again. He spoke clearly and started calling the GP Co-payment a GP Tax.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Kommando posted:

Chris Bowen spoke on ABC news radio this morning in an interview about the 'barnacles coming off the budget'. He was forceful about the govt needing to abandon the budget and start again. He spoke clearly and started calling the GP Co-payment a GP Tax.

Yes but has he yet been publicly flogged for the way he tried as hard as possible to gently caress the lives of countless refugees

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Obviously he hasn't seen the song yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSSxL6FZLbc

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

This is right near the top of my list of issues that I feel most passionate about and yet there is no loving way I can listen to more than two seconds of that song.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If anything, the terrible singing makes me want to lock up more children.bad joke sorry

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I never thought we were better than this

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wasn't this an episode of The Simpsons?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kommando posted:

I think we're in for a solid two years of this now. Bill Shorten has been a lot more prominent the last week or two, I think Labor is now emerging after giving the government enough rope to hang itself with. When it comes to education or health spending it's harder for the electorate at large to latch onto it as an immediate HEY LOOK THESE FUCKERS ARE TRASHING THE JOINT RIGHT NOW issue, since the effects take a while to manifest themselves.

The ABC/SBS cuts have had an immediate effect though. Images of ABC staff being told they are being made redundant, listings of programs that will be axed. It's the type of thing that puts the governments actions straight in peoples faces. Now that they're looking, Labor can start loudly talking about the alterative.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm starting to think that given his handling of pressure maybe David Johnston might not be the best choice of defence minister given our imminent invasion by assorted oriental hordes.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm starting to think that given his handling of pressure maybe David Johnston might not be the best choice of defence minister given our imminent invasion by assorted oriental hordes.

I agree, let's give the poison chalice to Morrison.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Labor will yell, but they're too cautious to be talking about alternatives.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Long suffering Aus Pol readers may recall my fatwa against The Australian Defence Force Association's executive director Neil James. Neil is a serial buffoon who The Arsetralian in particular used to like to trundle out to be aghast that anyone would criticise ADF culture ("A few isolated incidents") and in particular to put the boot into ALP Defence Ministers. After the 'Canoe' gaff I wondered why I hadn't noticed Neil in the media recently. Well it seems that with the change of government not only has Neil gone a little bit quiet but also has not been getting much coverage from his old mouthbreatherspieces.

On September the Ninth the ABC ran a piece on a proposal for sub bases in Darwin where Neil got to point out the bleeding obvious: You can't sensibly base submarines in Darwin.

This is actually somewhat timely now as it is because of the need to base subs in the South of Australia that we need the particular sort of long range diesel electric ones that "Australia used were only made commercially in Russia, Japan and in Australia."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-08/darwin-submarine-base-wont-happen/5728222

On November the Fourth the Arsetralian relegated him to several pages back and a tiny snippet.

quote:

Australia Defence Association executive director Neil James said the rise was very disappointing.

“The system for determining Defence pay is still flawed and the under-resourced independent tribunal has again merely accepted the government case — a pay cut in real terms for every Digger.

“We will wait and see if the people represented by unions get a better deal.”
:laugh:

So he slams both the system and cautiously endorses trade unionism! How the mighty have fallen!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/adf-pay-rise-as-good-as-it-gets-in-public-service/story-e6frg8yo-1227111393787

Speaking of unions, On November the Tenth The Sydney Morning Herald ran a piece about a RAAF wife being given short shrift by the Assistant Defence Minister's Office. ADFA 'rival' the Defence Force Welfare Association executive director Alf Jaugietis said that since the pay offer had been made, "the increase in the uniformed membership base is four-fold, plus some. This is the biggest boom we've had in membership growth ever." Members typically had been people who had left the armed forces, he said, but the association had been bombarded by emails complaining about the pay deal. "One of the dominant categories is, 'Hey, you're sending us to war again and the very next day you tell us we're going to have a pay cut'."

Neil chimes in with an observation about transparently exploiting the willingness to serve of the ADF personnel.

quote:

On Monday, Victoria Cross recipient Ben Roberts-Smith was reported as defending the pay deal, saying that the government faced a budget deficit and defence personnel "never did it for the money anyway".

Neil James, executive director of the Australia Defence Association, said while this was true, "governments shouldn't take advantage of that by unfairly remunerating members of the defence force".

Mr James also accused the government of using the below-inflation defence pay increase as a tactical benchmark to force even lower pay rises for the rest of the public service.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/raaf-wife-lashes-governments-insulting-pay-offer-20141110-11jut2.html

In a very intelligent piece of analysis John Warhurst, writing in The Canberra Times of November Thirteen, cites James as a critic of the pay deal but goes on to say

quote:

Yet having said all this, the controversy may not have a big political impact at the next election; at least not on its own. How can this be?

Defence personnel, more than any other sector in the community, are rusted-on Coalition voters. Most are politically and culturally averse to Labor and to its allies such as the trade union movement. It will take a lot to turn them into swinging voters.

Already there has been speculation that Labor will benefit at the next election. The Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Defence, Gai Brodtmann, MP for Canberra, has produced the numbers and called on Coalition MPs to stand up for ADF members in their electorates. That is good short-term politics. Allan Thomas, the national president of the Australian Peacekeeper and Peacemaker Veterans' Association, hopes that some Coalition MPs will lose their seats over the issue. But Thomas and his association are minor players.

My Australian National University colleague, Professor Ian McAllister, is right to point out that the issue will probably be largely forgotten by the 2016 election. For that not to be the case a lot more than party politics would need to change. Voters make up their minds not just on personal financial self-interest but on wider policy and cultural issues. VC winner Ben Roberts-Smith has already said as much. ADF members generally remain political allies of the Coalition when it comes to the ballot box.

Change will come only if the big and generally pro-Coalition pressure groups, like the RSL, not just "remain very disappointed with the government's decision" (which is actually code for "we are still inside the government's tent") but start campaigning actively and publicly against the Coalition government. That is unlikely to happen.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/the-rise-and-fall-of-defence-force-pay-20141112-11k9no.html

So I guess Neil may need to be forgiven and so long as he continues to oppose this government and support the organisation of labour then I will declare my fatwa at a temporary end.

Not on my 'forgiveness' agenda: NTATA

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/abbott-clueless-on-how-to-handle-us-and-china-20141124-11sko3.html

quote:

Abbott clueless on how to handle US and China

November 25, 2014 Hugh White

The PM is swinging wildly between two poles of regional power, probably mistaking insincerity for clever diplomacy.

For a long time Australia's leaders, including Tony Abbott, have told Australians that "we don't have to choose" between the US and China. But Abbott made a big choice himself last week. He chose to reject stern warnings from Barak Obama not to get too close to China. He chose instead to embrace President Xi's Jinping's vision of Asia's future under Chinese leadership, and Australia's place in it. Obama's warning came in his major speech in Brisbane during the G20. The headlines were grabbed by the remarkably direct attack he launched on Abbott's climate change policy. But much more of the speech was devoted to an even more remarkable attack on China's ambitions for regional leadership, and a stark warning about the choice that Australia and other regional countries face as we decide how to respond to it. "So the question that we face is, which of these futures will define the Asia Pacific in the century to come?" Obama said. "Do we move towards further integration, more justice, more peace? Or do we move towards disorder and conflict? Those are our choices - conflict or co-operation? Oppression or liberty?"

He left his listeners in no doubt at all which choice was which. He implied that the US offers co-operation and liberty, while China offers conflict and oppression. Overall the speech was by far the strongest attack Obama has ever made on China's claims to a bigger say in Asian affairs. Despite his own climate deal with Xi at APEC, this was probably the most anti-Chinese speech delivered by any American President since Nixon opened relations with Beijing in 1972. By speaking here in Australia on the eve of President Xi's address to Parliament, there can be no doubt that Obama's purpose was to warn Tony Abbott against accepting Beijing's vision of a peaceful and harmonious Asian future under Chinese leadership in return for a free trade agreement. Interestingly, British PM David Cameron issued exactly the same warning when he spoke to our parliament just the day before Obama's address.

But Abbott ignored both of them. Instead he enthused over President Xi's speech to Parliament, which was in its way every bit as remarkable as Obama's speech in Brisbane, and much more effective. Obama had overshadowed his message and infuriated his primary target by his riff on climate change which, important though it is, was clearly tangential to the main purpose of his speech. President Xi's speech, by contrast, was a model of disciplined statecraft. It conveyed two simple messages - strength and reassurance. Xi calmly and confidently asserted that China would be "the big guy in the room" in Asia in future. And he offered warm assurances that Australia could look forward to a safe and prosperous future under China's regional leadership - as long as "we respect each other's core interests and major concerns". Abbott took all this on trust. He spoke of that trust at the State Dinner for Xi after his speech. He praised Xi for his commitment to democracy and a rule-based international order. And in what sounded like a direct repudiation of Obama's dark warnings, Abbott went so far as to say that "when I listened to the President today, some of the shadows over our region and over our world lifted and the sun did indeed shine brightly". This is, by any standards, a remarkable thing for Tony Abbott to say. Even his warmest friends accept that Xi's commitment to democracy stops far short of tolerating any challenge to the power of the Communist Party, and his commitment to a rules-based international order is conditional on China playing a leading role in setting the rules.

All this suggests that last week Tony Abbott went a long way towards endorsing China's ambition to take over from the US as the leading power in Asia. In a telling sign, Andrew Robb has since said that Australia will join China's new Infrastructure bank, which we refused to join last month at Washington's request precisely because it enhanced China's regional leadership ambitions. Yes, this is the same Tony Abbott who has, until now, built his political career on an ideology rigorously opposed to everything Xi stands for, and who has built his foreign policy on the most fervent support for the US and Japan in resisting China's claims to regional leadership. So why did he do it? The obvious answer is the free trade agreement, but can Australia's geopolitical alignment really be brought so cheaply? For all the hoopla, the agreement is unlikely to do more for Australia's economy overall than the equally-hyped US free trade agreement has done - and that is, according to the government's Productivity Commission, exactly nothing. The government estimates the effect of a free trade agreement with Chinais a possible GDP increase of 0.039 per cent a year, which is so near to nothing that it doesn't matter.

Another answer is that he is just hopping mad with Obama over his climate change remarks, and has chosen to ignore Obama's warnings about China and cosy up to Xi just to spite him. But surely he couldn't be that petty. :laugh:

So perhaps the best explanation is also the simplest. Abbott does not know what he is doing. Despite the speeches he has heard over the past 10 days, he underestimates how stark the rivalry between America and China has become, and he overestimates Australia's ability to stand above it.

He probably believes that what he said last week will soon be forgotten, and he can return to his alignment with the US and Japan against China whenever he likes, with the free trade deal in his pocket. He perhaps mistakes such patent insincerity for clever diplomacy. He thinks he has struck a careful and clever balance between China and the US, allowing Australia to maintain a close alliance with one while expanding trade with the other. In fact he is swinging helplessly between the two poles of regional power, siding with the US one day and China the next, without any clear conception of where we want to end up. In the end we cannot afford to side with either of them. Obama's speech showed that he has no answer to China's ambitions except the uncompromising but underpowered resistance embodied in the Pivot – and we know that isn't working. On the other hand Xi showed that China's aim is clearly to exclude the US from Asia entirely, and that would not work for us either. The only way to protect Australia's immense interests in the Asian power struggle that came to our shores last week is to think for ourselves about what outcome suits us best, and to act as best we can to promote it. Whether we try to do that or not is the real choice we face.

Hugh White is a Fairfax columnist and professor of strategic studies at the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, ANU.

Fancy danger money?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...112-11kd6u.html

quote:

Public servant needed to stand between Eric Abetz and 160,000 colleagues

November 11, 2014 Phillip Thomson Public Service Reporter at The Canberra Times.

Talk about being the meat in the sandwich. Months into heated wage negotiations with 160,000 federal public servants, the government has advertised a job for a bureaucrat to walk into the industrial relations firestorm. The Australian Public Service Commission has an executive level 2 position available for someone to develop and implement workplace relations policies affecting enterprise bargaining, conditions and pay across the bureaucracy. Based at the commission's office in Woden, the job, which pays $117,835 to $132,471 a year, involves leading the small workplace relations group and "high-level" liaising with government employers and public sector unions.

The successful candidate will provide advice, analysis and policy recommendations "on workplace relations developments and issues relevant to the Australian government employment sector, to APSC executive, government and Australian government employers". "The successful candidate with have demonstrated leadership, policy development, stakeholder and relationship management expertise and experience," the advertisement said.

The main union representing public servants, the Community and Public Sector Union, has told members to prepare for an industrial action campaign that will not be "short and sharp". Instead many of the 117 agreements are only expected to finish after a drawn-out campaign of attrition, which will see the Employment Minister and Prime Minister Tony Abbott's spokesman on the bureaucracy, Eric Abetz, staring down public servants.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Just curious, am I the only auspol poster who actually lives in rural australia? Exurbs dont count.

e: lol david johnstons sincere regrets. Is there any memeber of the lnp not a human sized piece of poo poo? (no)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 26, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

katlington posted:

Just curious, am I the only auspol poster who actually lives in rural australia? Exurbs dont count.

I don't think the Grid would be appreciated in the suburbs.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

Labor will yell, but they're too cautious to be talking about alternatives.

They don't really need to provide alternative policies at this point, I don't think it's anything to do with caution. Why would you publish policies at this point in the term of the government and give them something to attack?

Labor have mentioned some policies, quite clearly, but it's too far away from the election for them to consider a comprehensive policy alternative, and rightly so.

Let the government govern, to the best of their ability. Point out their flaws, let the public make their judgments. Then at the appropriate time, point out what they could have had.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

katlington posted:

e: lol david johnstons sincere regrets. Is there any memeber of the lnp not a human sized piece of poo poo? (no)

I live in Brisbane for study but I grew up in Shitfuck QLD and spend most of my holidays there to mooch off my parents. If Centrelink takes me off Newstart for reasons I plan to move back there and look after my chickens (I miss my chickens).

E: My favourite thing during the elections before last was that everyone suddenly started putting Greens picket signs in their front yards/on the billboards around town - because they were the only party who cared about coal seam gas extraction which was loving over farmers (ie, poisoning their cows, and then the coal seam gas bosses would say "Well you don't have any evidence that your water wasn't polluted with heavy metals before we came here :smug:"). But then Katter came along and they had a new hero. There are now Katter party info offices in most of the major towns around.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I have Nationals representing my interests at Local, State and National levels. They don't get more rural than me.

Here have a good news story about our first Australians:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-26/indigenous-oral-history-accurately-reflects-sea-level-rises/5918324

quote:

Indigenous stories accurately tell of sea level rises, land mass reductions over 10,000 years, research suggests

By Johannah McOwan Updated about an hour ag oWed 26 Nov 2014, 11:01am

Indigenous stories offer highly accurate accounts of events that occurred over 10,000 years ago, including known changes in sea levels and the disappearance of land mass, research shows. Associate Professor Nick Reid from the University of New England has been comparing Indigenous stories from across Australia with the scientific chronology of sea level rises over the past 20,000 years. He said Indigenous oral traditions had accurately documented known changes in sea levels and the disappearance of land mass. "People point to Cairns rainforests, and local Aboriginal people say 'Oh, well, actually a long time ago this wasn't rainforest, it was open woodland'," he said. "There are people who have done pollen analysis in recent years and it turns out that rainforest is only 7,500 years old and prior to that it was indeed open woodland. "There are also stories about mega fauna and about comets."

Professor Reid said it demonstrated the continuity of culture of Indigenous Australians and could have an impact on Native Title claims. The stories have survived through oral transmission for over 10,000 years. "If people were telling them 10,000 years ago and they're continuing to tell them today, then that's real evidence of continuity of culture," Professor Reid said. "One of the requirements under Native Title is to establish continuity of culture and when you have transmission of the same story, we might be talking about across 500 generations, that's a remarkable thing."

"You can only do that if a culture is intact."

Professor Reid said he would now look to expand the research to examine other events that scientists know occurred thousands of years ago.
Suck on that Windschuttle you egregious buffoon's bottom burp.

Go on click that I double dare you: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/rabbit-proof-fence-grossly-inaccurate-keith-windschuttle/story-e6frg6n6-1225809985321

• Locked thread