Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

An error in data entry led to the word-cloud conclusion that TG goons really like dongs :wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

NTRabbit posted:

An error in data entry led to the word-cloud conclusion that TG goons really like dongs :wiggle:

Given the number of times it comes up in the OP, that may not be an error.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ordered the present! Hopefully soon there'll be a tiny little package of jolliness braving the vagaries of the post.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTRabbit posted:

it's not an error :getin:

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Ordered my santee's gifts today. Once they get here, my cat will wrap them and i'll ship the cat to my santee.

I think I typed that incorrectly.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

NeoAnjou posted:

I hope people don't find this creepy, but I was intrigued so I looked at the info people had publicly posted, and found:

* The most common country of origin is the USA (no surprises there!) where 66% of Santas/Santees live.
* The second most common is the UK, which 20% of us inhabit (this also means the British are 50% more inclined to sign-up per head than Americans).

There are a few more interesting facts, but some I'd like to hold-off mentioning lest they give too much info away ("Humm, there are only 2 participants from the Duchy of Grand Fenwick - I imagine they'll have to gift each other!")

I'm tempted to make a word-cloud out of the 'things I like' sections if people wouldn't mind or think it an imposition.

Hey, I'm down for that, but make a markov model too so we can laugh at how 100% of the people that mentioned D&D did so because they want to make sure nobody sends it to them. It's the most famous game nobody wants!

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

The gifts have been bought, however I forgot to buy tape to seal up the box! :downswords:

The gifts will be away tomorrow when i'm not so dumb!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, I'm down for that, but make a markov model too so we can laugh at how 100% of the people that mentioned D&D did so because they want to make sure nobody sends it to them. It's the most famous game nobody wants!

That may be that its the frontrunner, so people who like it have all they want, and people who don't don't want it.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Gift away!

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Lol - no Markov chain yet I'm afraid; plus sentiment analysis is *hard!*. I think Wordle also cuts D&D into three (i.e. 'D' '&' 'D'). The above image also cuts out common words (hence the most common words aren't shown: "I and of a the to be that or have I'm")

Unsurprisingly the most common meaningful word is games (86) (mentioned on average more than once per Santa).
Apparently we also (69) like (88) cool (48) things (49) and stuff (65).
Big meaningful words are books (36), RPGs (30), RPG (26) and board (27).

...and the key fact, there are 5 dongs, and 4 'dong's (and 1 dildo).

NeoAnjou fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 25, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Gifts sent. I just hope they arrive in time!

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Order placed! Happy Christmas somebody!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bought something today for my secret santa!

NeoAnjou posted:

Lol - no Markov chain yet I'm afraid; plus sentiment analysis is *hard!*. I think Wordle also cuts D&D into three (i.e. 'D' '&' 'D'). The above image also cuts out common words (hence the most common words aren't shown: "I and of a the to be that or have I'm")

Unsurprisingly the most common meaningful word is games (86) (mentioned on average more than once per Santa).
Apparently we also (69) like (88) cool (48) things (49) and stuff (65).
Big meaningful words are books (36), RPGs (30), RPG (26) and board (27).

...and the key fact, there are 5 dongs, and 4 'dong's (and 1 dildo).

This is cool.

board game just love RPG something
anime books got anything Dark games play want stuff
also cool good like things RPGs world

e. I'm caught up on TGSS emails. If you were expecting email from me and haven't gotten it, speak up!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 25, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, don't forget that SomethingAwful.com has some great shopping resources!

In SA-Mart, there's the Great Game Swap (for computer games), the Board Game Trading Thread (for board games), and always tons of goons selling various other nerd crap and stuff.

There's also the Coupons and Deals subforum of SA-Mart. You might for example want the Holiday toy and collectible sales megathread or the Amazon Black Friday deals week thread!

Many major online game retailers are also having online black friday week specials, so check them out. We started the TGSS thread earlier this year in part so you guys can take advantage of these sales: you can save money, and get your TGSS gift(s) shipped nice and early to avoid the panic, desperation, and hurt feelings of Being A Late Gifter.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gift order: placed. Should arrive in...well, probably a week or so?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Thank you Santa DigitalRaven!

(slightly obfuscated to protect steam ids from random spammers, hope that's OK!)

I'm looking forward to the next part, whenever it may arrive :)

And yeah, good choice, I had forgotten to put this on my wishlist when it came out. I can't promise to get onto playing it for a while (too many games, too little time) though I shall endeavour to do so over my Xmas holiday.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Congratulations, DigitalRaven, you are the first goon to get a gift delivered to a Santee!

There is no prize for this, except the jealous adulation of the goons, which is priceless.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I am pretty jealous! I'm waiting on finances to get my gift bought, but believe me: Santee, you will be gifted. Hopefully within a week or so.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Gifts bought and packaged but post office was too busy to get them in before work so sorry Santee it will mmbe another day before it is sent off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man here I am not even decided on what to buy for my target goon. Stop making me look bad!!!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

What's that, ominous knocking at my door at 8:30 am?

It's my secret santa! Thanks for the cooking book, it looks really interesting, and one more Z-95 for my collection as well :)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm pretty drat excited, just ordered my Santee's gift. I hope he/she/it/who appreciates a box filled with packing peanuts!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SquadronROE posted:

I'm pretty drat excited, just ordered my Santee's gift. I hope he/she/it/who appreciates a box filled with packing peanuts!

Packing peanuts are so versatile, they can be anything from Termagants, to wound markers, to meeples, they're basically the ultimate TG gift

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

NTRabbit posted:

Packing peanuts are so versatile, they can be anything from Termagants, to wound markers, to meeples, they're basically the ultimate TG gift

That's what I'm thinking. If you're into the RPG scene you can also use them as XP counters - I sent a lot of them so you don't have to abbreviate, but can hand the player a handful of peanuts.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I endorse this for high-level D&D. Kill the balor? That's 26,000 packing peanuts.

Your players will be begging for level drain.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Gift is in the mail. Took a little extra time to find something neat and to give it a personal touch to make it better worse better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm caught up with emails.

I'll be at my sister's house most of the day tomorrow, for obvious reasons, so if you email me and don't get a response tomorrow that's why!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hello thread, been a while I've just sent out the main parcel for my secret santa! Hopefully they shall receive it within a week!

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Holy crap.

So I had the idea to run my own Secret Santa for some of my friends (13 people in total, including myself), and good lord, "herding cats" doesn't accurately explain the cajoling I had to do just to get people's addresses and what they wanted. Made a Facebook event, everyone joined but nobody followed the directions. Made a post in the event explaining what I needed, a couple of people gave it. Eventually had to directly message everyone else individually to extract the info from them.

But now assignments are out and I just have to sit back and nervously wonder who isn't going to get their presents wait.

So yeah, I've gained an extraordinary amount of respect for Leperflesh not just for running this, but for doing it several years in a row!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Spincut posted:

Holy crap.

So I had the idea to run my own Secret Santa for some of my friends (13 people in total, including myself), and good lord, "herding cats" doesn't accurately explain the cajoling I had to do just to get people's addresses and what they wanted. Made a Facebook event, everyone joined but nobody followed the directions. Made a post in the event explaining what I needed, a couple of people gave it. Eventually had to directly message everyone else individually to extract the info from them.

But now assignments are out and I just have to sit back and nervously wonder who isn't going to get their presents wait.

So yeah, I've gained an extraordinary amount of respect for Leperflesh not just for running this, but for doing it several years in a row!

He can take our favorite internet toy away if we are bad though. If you could ban your friends from facebook they'd probably shape up. Plus nerd presents are the BEST. I wish people here would just give my wife advice what to get me for christmas hehe.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
The gift has been mailed. Nothing to do now but fret over whether or not they'll like it. :ohdear:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I searched every shop today, but couldn't find what I wanted for the main bit. I've had to order it from Amazon US instead. Estimated delivery is between 10th - 18th December, but I've got a backup and I'll post that instead if it hasn't arrived at my door by the 15th.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 26, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

jassi007 posted:

He can take our favorite internet toy away if we are bad though. If you could ban your friends from facebook they'd probably shape up. Plus nerd presents are the BEST. I wish people here would just give my wife advice what to get me for christmas hehe.

I am not a mod and cannot actually probate/ban people. But yeah, we've had the support of TG mods the last few years, so I guess the threat is there. In the past, the most I've done is present evidence and leave it to the mod to decide what to do. We've been extraordinarily fortunate that that's only had to happen maybe three times in the last four years, despite over 360 gifts exchanged in that period. That's less than a 1% Grinching rate!

The Supreme Court posted:

I searched every shop today, but couldn't find what I wanted for the main bit. I've had to order it from Amazon US instead. Estimated delivery is between 10th - 18th December, but I've got a backup and I'll post that instead if it hasn't arrived at my door by the 15th.

Good to have a backup. But, you can always have Amazon ship directly to your Santee, right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

First Citizen Leperflesh has no official power, he is merely a goon like you and I :agesilaus:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Leperflesh posted:

Good to have a backup. But, you can always have Amazon ship directly to your Santee, right?

Yeah, thanks! I've got stuff prepared to customise it however, so double postage is the current plan.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Everything has now been ordered and should be on its way =) Hopefully it is enjoyed!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A thing arrived for me today!

(I took unboxing pics too but my camera ate them :()

Thank you again DigitalRaven, this will certainly get some play at the games club tomorrow!

Also my gift should be here by the weekend so I can wrap it up and send it on to my Santee. Looking forward to spreading the joy :)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I have sent gifts to a very lucky Goon, they should arrive within the next few weeks, definitely before Christmas, but Amazon's estimate included most of the month of December for arrival dates. Also, dammit, I forgot to tell them to gift wrap it. Whatever, it's not like anyone actually waits for Christmas before opening them, anyway.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
My santee's gift is in the capable hands of the postal service!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I am completely blown away that I came home from work tonight and there were two packages waiting for me. And I still haven't managed to ship out to one of my Santas :( I have to work through the holidays, but should be able to get it in the mail soon!

• Locked thread