Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

And thats how Santa got shot up for violating a no-fly zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Man Whore posted:

There very much were long discussions but the feminism threads were very terrible and shouldn't be held as any ideal ever.

They had their problems, but were better than nothing.

Oh, and blacks, why can't you be like Asians who do well for themselves and never face troubles or an unfair deal:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sylviaannhewlett/2011/07/28/asians-in-america-whats-holding-back-the-model-minority/

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp

icantfindaname posted:

No no, racism is over. It doesn't happen anymore. Maybe you didn't get the memo

Oh nice. Why everyone so upset about a cop shooting a nondescript suspect then?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I get that it's Christmas and all but did the artist take a moment to think about whether or not it's smart to say black people in Ferguson need a white person to save them?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

It's zip-tie time.

send the poors in to fight the poors. Perfect.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Vengeful Turtle posted:

Oh nice. Why everyone so upset about a cop shooting a nondescript suspect then?

Slow news week.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Jst0rm posted:

send the poors in to fight the poors. Perfect.

history.txt

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

Slow news week.

Bill Cosby.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Are there any streams up? I forgot to bookmark things last night.
I remember Vice and Z-something. And that dude whose phone was stolen.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I'd be curious as to the results of that if you ignored recent immigrants or looked at specifics Asian groups (say, Vietnamese vs. Chinese or Korean; I'm pretty sure there's a huge disparity there). A very large number of Asian-Americans immigrated in the past couple generations and represent the upper or upper-middle class from their home countries (otherwise they wouldn't have been able to afford coming here in the first place).

Well Asian is a pretty ill-defined category. Do we include Indians, etc. You are right that there is a huge disparity though, while Asians as a category have higher income there's a much larger standard deviation than for white people. It's an interesting topic though, considering ww2 and earlier anti-Asian racism.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

nutranurse posted:

I dunno what the point would be. A huge part of the reason I joined SA was because it is one of the better places to be a black person on the internet because, outside of a few subforums, you have to actively go looking for the racist post(ers) (i.e. going to any D&D thread on race, I/P, anything pertaining to the middle east). Which is loving saying something, because SA is still far from a progressive bastion for non-white, non-male people and opinions. It's just slightly less caustic and openly hostile when compared to reddit or something.

Well, there's not too many spaces where you can go if you're a black person on the net, and it can get lonely at times. And the few black spaces that do exist are filled with conservative talk and religiosity. It gets tiring and lonely if you're working in a white environment and don't have many people who would understand your everyday struggle aside from family. So it was just a thought.

At least there's black Twitter.

I'm sorry you bi-racial guys have recieved a lot of flack and undue criticism. You have no reason to prove your blackness to anybody, much less white people, on the Internet when you're trying to get away from the daily grind of endless bullshit.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

tsa posted:

Well Asian is a pretty ill-defined category. Do we include Indians, etc. You are right that there is a huge disparity though, while Asians as a category have higher income there's a much larger standard deviation than for white people. It's an interesting topic though, considering ww2 and earlier anti-Asian racism.

but does that account for skull shape?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

but does that account for skull shape?

Yes, it's pretty standard to statistically control for that.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Like honestly :lol: if you think anyone should care about getting called a racist in this thread.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

wow it's just like puppet master 2 his unholy creations

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

wow it's just like puppet master 2 his unholy creations

Is this english?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
This thread is confusing the hell out of me

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
""""Minneapolis police spokesman John Elder said the driver was not in custody and has not been ticketed."""" Last update just before 9PM, story broke at 5PM. Seriously?

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3631519.shtml

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

Are there any streams up? I forgot to bookmark things last night.
I remember Vice and Z-something. And that dude whose phone was stolen.

I posted the NYC protest stream if that helps

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/124908/events/3616405

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

This thread is confusing the hell out of me

Sometimes I wonder if half the posts in D&D are complete and total sarcasm or satire and I'm just misreading them.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

Sometimes I wonder if half the posts in D&D are complete and total sarcasm or satire and I'm just misreading them.

I just assume every post is until proven otherwise.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

nutranurse posted:

What's funny is that old GBS is what convinced me to join because I was like "Wow, a general chat forum that isn't hilariously racist?"

Then lowtax & co pulled a bait and switch.

No he just made it less insufferable because we didn't need 2 DnDs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

tsa posted:

Reminder to everyone this poster called someone a KKK member because they posted this:

But I only told him he should iron his hood, and robes? Maybe he has some other kind of ceremony to attend? A graduation ceremony.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Captain Mog posted:

look into your heart, what do you see

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

""""Minneapolis police spokesman John Elder said the driver was not in custody and has not been ticketed."""" Last update just before 9PM, story broke at 5PM. Seriously?

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3631519.shtml

If there is no report and a cop has not been present when it happened, it gets muddier thereafter with the "requirement of presence" and what not for arresting for misdemeanors.
So it is not quite simple. If the person who got run over makes a criminal report, then you move from there.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Deadulus posted:

This quote. Where is it in the transcript?

Hmm not doing it right

http://imgur.com/99kpg62

here is link

You want the last volume of testimony, on page 141. Alizadeh is answering a question from a juror asking her to reiterate the three elements they would need to find to return a true bill. I would start on 140 for the context.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
*joke about black, jewish, or gay people*
"Lol it's just a joke, why do you hate jokes, stop being sensitive and grow a sense of humor"

*joke about white people*
"How dare you, you racist!"

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

SedanChair posted:

But I only told him he should iron his hood, and robes? Maybe he has some other kind of ceremony to attend? A graduation ceremony.

Don't worry we're all buds here.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Vahakyla posted:

If there is no report and a cop has not been present when it happened, it gets muddier thereafter with the "requirement of presence" and what not for arresting for misdemeanors.
So it is not quite simple. If the person who got run over makes a criminal report, then you move from there.

Is that how all hit and runs work?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Himuro posted:

I'm sorry you bi-racial guys have recieved a lot of flack and undue criticism. You have no reason to prove your blackness to anybody, much less white people, on the Internet when you're trying to get away from the daily grind of endless bullshit.

Agreed, as an ex-racist I can say no racist cares if you are half something else if you are half black. It doesn't earn you white privilege.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

William T. Hornaday posted:

Is that how all hit and runs work?

'If the cop does not see a person punching a person, and the punchee does not make a complaint or report it to the police, the cops can't arrest the puncher afterwards with no other reason.
In hit and runs, I'd imagine the "hit-n-runee" makes a police report.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

This happened at the intersection of a police precinct.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Why would someone waste time posting tired poo poo about how everyone needs to come together, anyway? There's nothing interesting about that.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

Why would someone waste time posting tired poo poo about how everyone needs to come together, anyway? There's nothing interesting about that.

Can't we all just get along?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

This happened at the intersection of a police precinct.

I'm gonna need a common law lawyer to help me out in explaining it deeper, but a person can be punched in front of the police station, too, and if he walks away and the punchee says nothing, no one has any reason to chase that dude, especially if they did not immediately see it or have it reported through dispatch.

quote:

'In the Presence' Requirement:
"In the Presence" requirement: Misdemeanors (and infractions) must have occurred in the officer's (or private person's, in the case of a private person's arrest) presence. (P.C. §§ 836(a)(1), 837.1; Jackson v. Superior Court (1950) 98 Cal.App.2nd 183; see also V.C. § 40300.)

'In the Presence,' Defined
"In the Presence," Defined: "In the presence" is commonly interpreted to refer to having personal knowledge that the offense in question has been committed, made known to the officer through any of the officer's five senses. (See People v. Burgess (1947) 79 Cal.App.2

It is important that "a cop" doesn't have to hear it, just "the police" as an entity. A dispatcher dispatching a police unit which then calls another police unit to handle it are all the same entity. IN other words, all member of the law enforcement agency share the senses and apparently can also practice telepathy.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 26, 2014

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Word in Nashville is protesters have shut down the interstate, hell yeah.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

joshtothemaxx posted:

I guess we need more people willing to run them over.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

joshtothemaxx posted:

How is this a good thing? How does shutting down a road people need bring anyone to your side? I feel like people have lost their minds.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I'm gonna need a common law lawyer to help me out in explaining it deeper, but a person can be punched in front of the police station, too, and if he walks away and the punchee says nothing, no one has any reason to chase that dude, especially if they did not immediately see it or have it reported through dispatch.

Weird according to many in this thread if a teenager punches a person the police have permission to shoot them til they die.

Seriously though I guess it's just my state but I thought police could and had to care much more about vehicular attacks like this by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Foma posted:

How is this a good thing? How does shutting down a road people need bring anyone to your side? I feel like people have lost their minds.

If institutional racism is a thing that exists why would you need to protest to get white people to recognize it? :smug:

• Locked thread