Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Race riots and Black Power/Black Nationalist groups and white fear of their expansion if the demands of the civil rights movement weren't at least nominally met? Nope, definitely had nothing to do with the end of Jim Crow. It was all white people feeling generous after seeing protesters attacked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Worked for John Lewis.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alex DeLarge posted:

That sure is a lot more police compared to last night... and National Guard by the looks of it.

When I was watching the news a couple hours ago they were saying that at the time, NG and Police soldiers combined outnumbered protesters.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Last night had around 700 and dispatched only as a reserve force later in the evening

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

icantfindaname posted:

I was sort of hoping for more substantial evidence than a educational internet blog for literal children

Would JFK words work?

President John F. Kennedy later said of him, "The Civil Rights movement should thank God for Bull Connor. He's helped it as much as Abraham Lincoln."

Jackson, Kenneth T. (1994). "Theophilus Eugene Connor". Dictionary of American Biography (Supplement 9: 1971–1975 ed.). Charles Scribner's Sons. ISBN 0-283-99547-5.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If only modern times had police brutality against minorities maybe the whites would again find generosity in their hearts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wow the "hey grand juries never indict police" story has legs.

Somebody post the conditioning-rear end statement from the prosecutor's assistant.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Foma posted:

Would JFK words work?

President John F. Kennedy later said of him, "The Civil Rights movement should thank God for Bull Connor. He's helped it as much as Abraham Lincoln."

Jackson, Kenneth T. (1994). "Theophilus Eugene Connor". Dictionary of American Biography (Supplement 9: 1971–1975 ed.). Charles Scribner's Sons. ISBN 0-283-99547-5.

No one purged the southern politicians and institutions so racism is still a pretty loving strong force.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Read the parts you bolded.

*Replace "high pressure hoses and police dogs" with "#smoke and armored vehicles"
    *Replace "Birmingham" with "Ferguson"
    *Replace "J F Kennedy" with "Barack Obama"

It isn't the same, but it isn't much different, either. And that's the point.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

zen death robot posted:

Tonight is different due to the arsons.

Where were they when the fires were actually happening?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I just got home from the protests at NYC. We shut down the FDR and I heard others took over Manhattan bridge. Most of the people stuck were either taking pictures or cheering us on. We even saw some empty cars so I'm guessing some people got out to join us. The only people who looked annoyed were the cops, but gently caress 'em.

So there you go, word from the ground floor about the efficacy of protests.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

I Dont Like You posted:

I'm trying to imagine how a number of posters in here would be reacting during the Civil Rights era. Mostly the same I suppose but with slurs being thrown around.

Well the civil rights movement took place during a time when the average middle class family was still sharing telephone lines.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Only in D&D can people become incredulous when somebody says that it was the cruel reaction to the demonstrations that changed peoples minds and got attention.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pastrymancy posted:

Patrolling the neighborhoods.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

flashman posted:

If only modern times had police brutality against minorities maybe the whites would again find generosity in their hearts.

Woah, I've got it. Let's disrupt civil rights 2.0. We'll write an app that you can put your details into and it'll judge how moving your victimhood will be for the movement. Once we get a critical mass of folks who have unassailable character we'll have them all peacefully demonstrate somewhere until the cops pepper spray them and then change will finally bloom from the actions of those brave cops.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

Equine Don posted:

Patrolling the neighborhoods.

Were residential areas relatively okay?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pastrymancy posted:

Firing tear "smoke" into residential neighborhoods

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

zen death robot posted:

STLDagger on Livestream really looks up to the InfoWars people.

A lot of the streamers on the ground in Ferguson seem to be a bit weird

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Foma posted:

Bull Conner's response to the civil rights protest is what moved people to their side. People saw the dogs being let loose on civil peaceful protesters and were ashamed and moved. It was people acting badly that won over the masses, this time the protesters are the ones acting badly and no one is coming over to their side.

*shoots reporters with tear gas on live television*

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

zen death robot posted:

STLDagger on Livestream really looks up to the InfoWars people.

Back in August, I seem to recall Infowars being a depressingly good stream.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Man Whore posted:

Only in D&D can people become incredulous when somebody says that it was the cruel reaction to the demonstrations that changed peoples minds and got attention.

This is an understandable thing to say if your only knowledge of protests and racial politics comes from internet talk sites. And 8th grade history textbooks.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Cities on lockdown under emergency provisions, thread is anarchy, deploy the CS canisters.

:gas:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
hmm, been looking over american history and I've determined that what america needs to move forward is more police brutality against black people

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zen death robot posted:

Speaking of...something just happened....

WHAT just happened?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Streamer STLDaggger is lame. He's not shooting any relevant footage, just chatting with dudes about livestreaming and how he's a target for police because he's a skateboarder, lol.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Foma posted:

Would JFK words work?

Politicians often say things that aren't true or correct. It's shocking, but it happens.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Politicians often say things that aren't true or correct. It's shocking, but it happens.

JFK... wasn't right? What?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sharkie posted:

Streamer STLDaggger is lame. He's not shooting any relevant footage, just chatting with dudes about livestreaming and how he's a target for police because he's a skateboarder, lol.

He's a real rebel man

As lame as Z was talking about hornet's nests or whatever the gently caress, can't say he wasn't getting great stuff.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pastrymancy posted:

Were residential areas relatively okay?

Yes nothing happened to any houses.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Seams posted:

hmm, been looking over american history and I've determined that what america needs to move forward is more police brutality against black people

That does seem to have been the tradition... So crazy that it keeps popping back up again!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

zen death robot posted:

Rewound the chopper feed, that's what was going on after whatever it was got tossed and hit someone. People scattered a bit assuming it was gas I guess.

No wonder the National Guard got called in, the protesters have ninjas.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
not the roades wont someone think of are job commutors?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
KSDK super busy watching some folks on a rooftop.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Ooo, protesters at Coffee Cartel.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Cuntpunch posted:

KSDK super busy watching some folks on a rooftop.

Mystery buckets, what could they mean?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

William T. Hornaday posted:

Ooo, protesters at Coffee Cartel.

Please tell me that's not the actual name of the coffee shop

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

zen death robot posted:

Yeah there's 2200 National Guard out tonight or something like that.

The Kurds should burn down a Walgreen's.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who claims that they can't support your struggle against an insititution or society that loves to see you poo poo on and dead because you lashed out in an unconstructive manner was never your loving ally to begin with.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Tardcore posted:

Mystery buckets, what could they mean?

The news games sound pretty sad the guys didn't have weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

420DD Butts posted:

Please tell me that's not the actual name of the coffee shop

It most definitely is.

• Locked thread