Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kastein posted:

You too, eh?

I warned my parents they really need to change their transmission fluid on schedule. They'd never done it, and still have never done it. Bets on how long a 4R44E in a 2000 Ranger makes it with filthy fluid before it kicks the bucket? :suicide:

(it's already got some hard/slipping/funky shifts occasionally and they aren't doing a drat thing about it. Can't wait to find out.)

Going off what I've seen...300k, minimum. If you flush it now and make it nice, it won't last another 10k.

It will make it there and be absofuckinglutely horrible, make every noise in the world, and feel like it's going to explode. But it'll do it.

edit: my MiL had a 97 Grand Cherokee (that they promised to me but then sold to a crackgead for 1400, but I'm not bitter no sir) that hadn't had its fluid changed in 120k miles of stop and go, no more than 35mph traffic. Apparently the mechanic told them that he had never seen or smelled fluid that bad.

Same woman who swore up and down that jeep wouldn't do 70mph. The one time I had to drive it, I followed my FiL onto the interstate. When I hit 55, it was like a goddamn wall. Held it to the floor for a moment, then it bucked and chugged and shot a giant loving black cloud out the rear end and ran goddamn perfect.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wally Joyner posted:

What a nice place to do exhaust work snag a catalytic converter from. :getin:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

the identical "mileage in" and "mileage out" are disappointing.

1/4 mile out and 1/4 mile back won't roll the mile column...

Mercury Ballistic posted:

This was some joker with his pic in the Atlantic recently, somewhere in the Buffalo region.

I'm just shocked he bothered to clear off his headlights.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Stop making fun of John McCain.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Going off what I've seen...300k, minimum. If you flush it now and make it nice, it won't last another 10k.

It will make it there and be absofuckinglutely horrible, make every noise in the world, and feel like it's going to explode. But it'll do it.

This is my experience, too. The best way to maintain an AT that's super overdue for a fluid change is to just top it off as it leaks. If you actually do a flush and filter change it will self destruct in very short order.

Edit: vvvvvv I don't know why. It's probably not actually true, it just feels like it. The ones I've seen that happen with probably would have failed soon either way and it was just a coincidence that it happened soon after receiving proper maintainance for the first time in their lifetimes. vvvvv

Theris fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 25, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Theris posted:

This is my experience, too. The best way to maintain an AT that's super overdue for a fluid change is to just top it off as it leaks. If you actually do a flush and filter change it will self destruct in very short order.

Why?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You'll flush out all the structural debris.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

Just do what my mom does and ignore problems until either they go away or the car stops working.

Oh, like my mom with her loving Lexus? For 5 years she raved that it never needed maintenance, now it's starting to show its 120k miles and needs a shitload all at once. She's all "WTF I can't afford this help me clean it so we can sell it! But not for a penny less than the KBB excellent price of $13k!" (it is not in excellent condition, I'd rate it "fair" at best.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The leading/logical theory I've heard on that one is that you've already got a bunch of deposited material in the trans from neglecting it. A full fluid change/power flush is going to introduce enough new fluid that these deposits will dissolve quickly, very often in chunks that will clog passages and solenoids.

I've had good luck reviving several neglected (often hard shifting but not yet slipping) auto boxes by doing drain and fills. You're only getting 1/2 to 2/3 of the fluid that way. Do that a few times 1-3k miles apart and you'll slowly dilute things out.

Still a risk, but one that's paid out for me. The latest was the $500 Rover. It had problems downshifting and SLAMMED into 2nd under load. I drained and filled it twice about 15k miles ago and it's been down to a slight bump into 2nd under heavy throttle. Everything else is working fine and the fluid still looks to be in good shape. I didn't even drop the pan/change the filter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Motronic posted:

The leading/logical theory I've heard on that one is that you've already got a bunch of deposited material in the trans from neglecting it. A full fluid change/power flush is going to introduce enough new fluid that these deposits will dissolve quickly, very often in chunks that will clog passages and solenoids.

Exact same reason you don't switch an engine that's running on non-detergent oil to the modern stuff. At least not without being prepared to change the oil every week as the sludge breaks up.

I imagine the same would work for a transmission, but good luck getting an owner who neglected their car for that long to allow several fluid changes in a short period.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

quote:

The Criminal Code of Canada. Section 84(1) defines "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device attached to or in the handle of the knife" as a prohibited weapon.[10][11]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a VW key, I wouldn't worry. The little thingy that holds the key blade itself will shatter long before you exert enough force to actually hurt someone.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's why God invented the Polish. They're like Jawas for BMWs.

Welp now I'm going to call E32s "Sandcrawlers".

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MrChips posted:

Welp now I'm going to call E32s "Sandcrawlers".

suddenly my irrational desire for old bmws makes sense

Trocadero
Aug 23, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's why God invented the Polish. They're like Jawas for BMWs.
So true :)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In Poland it's a rite of passage for young people working in construction or manual labor to spend all their first x paychecks on an old lovely BMW, Audi or VW Passat, always with 190-200 kkm, always driven by a lady or older german dude, mostly diesel. Of course a 14years old A6 TDI requires constant maintenance, which the car rarely gets.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

All fun and games until it opens in your pocket like my VW key would do all the goddamn time.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 221 days!)

Alighieri posted:

All fun and games until it opens in your pocket like my VW key would do all the goddamn time.

They'd be able to tell who the killer was because the grooves would match the VIN. :hydrogen:

v- :keke: I was planning on following up with a 'where the grooves land' joke, but you win.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 27, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

They'd be able to tell who the killer was because the grooves would match the VIN. :hydrogen:

No, it's a VW owner. They'd be able to tell who the killer was because he'd still be out in the parking lot trying to figure out how to get inside his getaway car after all of the door handles snapped off in his hand and the windshield wipers caught fire.

You could also prevent future VW owner crimes by putting a speed bump in front of all potential murder victims.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw a Golf puttering around this morning, looked pretty clean but for the fact the owner had wedged about four door stops into the weather sealing on the driver side window.. I guess the window couldn't hold itself up anymore so that was his solution to keep it closed.

Was also wearing a balaclava so I'm thinking the heating system was broken too.

So yeah VW makes some real high quality machines.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Stancing is just getting silly now

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

I knew I recognized that uniform (and, I think, that tree in the background.) Dude ate poo poo in Dallas less than a day after taking delivery of the car, of course.

I can't find a local news story, but here it is on the wire. Sure, "wet spot on the road."

Edit: nobody died. Is it totaled, or will they rebuild it? I forget how that works on McLarens. Like, a late-model Lotus is a writeoff if you crack the bumper because it costs so much to replace half the body, but doesn't it swing the other way when you get up to the million-dollar retail pricetag, so a top-end Lamborghini/Ferrari/McLaren will be rebuilt from a burnt-out shell?

Semi-related: sort of like that time the Quantas A380 shat a turbine section that drat near cut the wing off, and they paid more than a quarter the retail price of a new one to fix it and maintain their perfect record of "no hull losses in the jet age."

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 27, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

I knew I recognized that uniform (and, I think, that tree in the background.) Dude ate poo poo in Dallas less than a day after taking delivery of the car, of course.

I can't find a local news story, but here it is on the wire. Sure, "wet spot on the road."

Edit: nobody died. Is it totaled, or will they rebuild it? I forget how that works on McLarens. Like, a late-model Lotus is a writeoff if you crack the bumper because it costs so much to replace half the body, but doesn't it swing the other way when you get up to the million-dollar retail pricetag, so a top-end Lamborghini/Ferrari/McLaren will be rebuilt from a burnt-out shell?

Semi-related: sort of like that time the Quantas A380 shat a turbine section that drat near cut the wing off, and they paid more than a quarter the retail price of a new one to fix it and maintain their perfect record of "no hull losses in the jet age."

Depending on how severe some of the damage is, often times it can't be safely repairable. If it's Texas and the cost to repair is higher than the ACV of the car it gets branded salvage, which requires a whole lot of hoops (repaired, inspections, etc) to get it re-registered for on the road driving.

Part availability is probably a pretty big concern for these as well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

iwentdoodie posted:

edit: my MiL had a 97 Grand Cherokee (that they promised to me but then sold to a crackgead for 1400, but I'm not bitter no sir) that hadn't had its fluid changed in 120k miles of stop and go, no more than 35mph traffic. Apparently the mechanic told them that he had never seen or smelled fluid that bad.

Same woman who swore up and down that jeep wouldn't do 70mph. The one time I had to drive it, I followed my FiL onto the interstate. When I hit 55, it was like a goddamn wall. Held it to the floor for a moment, then it bucked and chugged and shot a giant loving black cloud out the rear end and ran goddamn perfect.

She did you a favor, get a cherokee instead. Not as cushy but also suffer far fewer problems.

E: I drove the ranger yesterday and good lord that thing is the most gutless vehicle I've ever driven. My 250k beaten XJ had more guts. So does my 2.2L low compression subaru with 500lbs of spare parts and tools on board. I am not sure if this is in keeping with the 3.0L ranger V6 or that plus the fact that it is STILL only firing on 5 cylinders, has been for a year, and probably has more soot stuck inside than a steam locomotive. I had the throttle at 90% (on the floor, but not pushing it into the carpet) just maintaining 55 and had to stomp on it as hard as I could to get anything more out of it. Merging onto the highway was horrifying. Dad is still head-in-the-sand about it and insists it must be spark plugs or the coil pack (we've already done the plugs twice) because he doesn't want to believe the engine might be hosed from driving it like this for so long. I wonder what I will find with the compression tester.

Giving that engine more throttle just makes it louder, it doesn't seem to make it actually produce more power.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 28, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Giving that engine more throttle just makes it louder, it doesn't seem to make it actually produce more power.

This is how I've felt about every auto Jeep I6 I've driven and every I6 mercedes I've driven.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

She did you a favor, get a cherokee instead. Not as cushy but also suffer far fewer problems.

E: I drove the ranger yesterday and good lord that thing is the most gutless vehicle I've ever driven. My 250k beaten XJ had more guts. So does my 2.2L low compression subaru with 500lbs of spare parts and tools on board. I am not sure if this is in keeping with the 3.0L ranger V6 or that plus the fact that it is STILL only firing on 5 cylinders, has been for a year, and probably has more soot stuck inside than a steam locomotive. I had the throttle at 90% (on the floor, but not pushing it into the carpet) just maintaining 55 and had to stomp on it as hard as I could to get anything more out of it. Merging onto the highway was horrifying. Dad is still head-in-the-sand about it and insists it must be spark plugs or the coil pack (we've already done the plugs twice) because he doesn't want to believe the engine might be hosed from driving it like this for so long. I wonder what I will find with the compression tester.

Give it some seafoam and blacken the skies :getin:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

atomicthumbs posted:

Give it some seafoam and blacken the skies :getin:

THE FUELS WILL RUN WITH THE SEAFOAM, AND THE SKIES WILL FLOW BLACK WITH THE DEPOSITS OF MINE ENEMIES.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Slavvy posted:

This is how I've felt about every auto Jeep I6 I've driven and every I6 mercedes I've driven.

I felt like my old Grand Cherokee had a good bit of punch when I floored it. For an ancient I6 anyway.It sounded like an outboard boat motor with the Magnaflow muffler and no cats though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It's not terrible that the guy is enthusiastic about his vehicle, but it certainly didn't belong in the ai-est images thread so I'm putting it here. A vanity plate I never thought I'd see:

LOVIN' DAT 'NOX GUYS!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe they love smog, and the fact that they drive an equinox is just a coincidence.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Posted to my local Facebook group:

I guess it's a little better than how it was before the bumper:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 28, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Wrong thread. That paint splatter effect is rad as hell.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I kind of liked the clown jizz paintjob, but everything else ruins it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I have a soft spot in my heart for stanced drift cars. Example being Hert's FC:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I do find they can look cool, but any of that is blown out the water by the stupid cargo cult approach of doing what other people think is cool. Or at least, what other people are doing because they themselves think other other people think it's cool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man I do like that paint spatter though. I should do that the next time I build a really trashy rallycross car.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 221 days!)

T1g4h posted:

Wrong thread. That paint splatter effect is rad as hell.

I would so have that car on my Trapper-Keeper. :krad:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

T1g4h posted:

I have a soft spot in my heart for stanced drift cars.

But in regards to that pollockmobile, can that even be considered a drift car if it's FWD? I don't recognize the taillights but I assume they're aftermarket and that's still an Eagle Talon underneath right?

Edit: Actually even modified that doesn't seem to be exactly like the '91 talon's b-pillar I was thinking of. What is that thing?

Edit: vv holy crap you're right. All it took was the "240SX" and the yellow turn signals to mbe missing for me to completely not recognize it.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
wtf. That's a Nissan 240SX.
e: It's also got an Aeromotive fuel pump and a fuel cell so it's probably not a NA KA anymore.

T1g4h posted:

I have a soft spot in my heart for stanced drift cars. Example being Hert's FC:

Since everyone assumes all of these drift cars are riced out pieces of poo poo, this is what is in that FC:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 28, 2014