Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gamma Nerd posted:

Writing notes can be pretty helpful. Being able to place tags on teleporters would have made Eridanus a lot less of a hassle if SJ allowed you to draw your maps, for example.

Yeah, it does make it helpful that I can mark places on the map where like P-Circles pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i have decided im not going to get any of the map exploration chests

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

The first one is mega easy to get and gives you a reusable medicine. I'd say go for that at least.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Cake Attack posted:

You can do it by walking a lot in the game or walking a lot IRL.

I think you should do the IRL way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

You've played Persona 4

you know the answer to that

Have I? Or is this username just the result of a joke I may have made with friends when P4U was coming out? Where did I ever say I've played Persona 4?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

You can do it by walking a lot in the game or walking a lot IRL.

I think you should do the IRL way.

oh can i use play coins to open them?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
there's an automap???
goddamnmit

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the second and third chests have recarm and media skill cards in case that convinces you.

also why the heck can't i use navigator skills in battle even though i have a sub-persona with them equipped? the healing skill would've made that first boss fight a whole lot less of a slog.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alternately, there's a patch out there to bring back the original soundtrack in the psp remake. So best of both worlds?

Where do I get the patch? I need it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to be so disappointed when unique Shadow dialogue doesn't show up in P5.

"No more beasts! We've already got a dog, a bear, and Chie!"

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Freak Futanari posted:

Wait, is this for real? If so i might have to play Persona 1 (The best game in the series) for like the fourth time (it's just that good).

https://mega.co.nz/#!jZ5CURBR!MaDH1pButy-qqS5YjvpbK8y7QmuwKfPUEgkfmUE6TYY

Well now.

Now I have no excuse not to play the PSP version.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can think of a few.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
just got a level 17 oni by killing one of the foes on the first floor of the first dungeon.

i'm level 13. :stare:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven't had a chance to play yet but yeah can't you just use play coins for the chests? I usually have 300 anyway so even if stuff costs a bunch I'll get them back

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
So is Rei's corn dog supposed to be a localized takoyaki or is she eating both at once?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it switches between the two. I've only played a bit, but when she said she was eating takoyaki it was pretty clearly a different thing from the corndog she brings out later.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Inflammatory posted:

the second and third chests have recarm and media skill cards in case that convinces you.

also why the heck can't i use navigator skills in battle even though i have a sub-persona with them equipped? the healing skill would've made that first boss fight a whole lot less of a slog.

You equip the nav skill sub-personas on Rise or Fuuka, not on you, do you have them on your navigator? And you have to have enough of the points built up, of course.

Enjoying this so far, very much just Persona dunked into EO. The subpersona health/sp pools make it less of a slog than the usual EO game and of course there's the joy(?) of fusion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm only still in the first dungeon and I am already loving sick of hearing everyone talking outside of cutscenes, especially Rise during combat.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
By the way, the main persona grinding method is killing FOEs so that they drop stronger personas and sacrificing them. You're gonna make lots of use of auto-walk.

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm only still in the first dungeon and I am already loving sick of hearing everyone talking outside of cutscenes, especially Rise during combat.

Your fault for picking P4.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Main thing that could never keep me going in EO4 was how open-ended and directionless it was. Q makes me really happy there's much more of a story and (so far, only like level 6) a lot more linearity.

Quick question for dudes that are further in: is it worth it to level up everyone, or can I just stick with my main party and just ignore the lovely characters like how I do in the main Persona games?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I didn't know it but it turns out I really wanted this game. I knew I was going to buy it because I'll take what Persona I can get, but my God I loved Etrian Odyssey and this is just becoming a better version of it. The teeny innovations they're making are amazing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

pulp rag posted:

Main thing that could never keep me going in EO4 was how open-ended and directionless it was. Q makes me really happy there's much more of a story and (so far, only like level 6) a lot more linearity.

Quick question for dudes that are further in: is it worth it to level up everyone, or can I just stick with my main party and just ignore the lovely characters like how I do in the main Persona games?

leveling people takes ages so just stick with your main party.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven't had a chance to play yet but yeah can't you just use play coins for the chests? I usually have 300 anyway so even if stuff costs a bunch I'll get them back

The first chest I got was 136 play coins, the second was over 200. I'll take my time to explore fully.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tired Moritz posted:

By the way, the main persona grinding method is killing FOEs so that they drop stronger personas and sacrificing them. You're gonna make lots of use of auto-walk.

The p4 team is the worst. I restarted to play as the p3 team and it's hundreds, perhaps thousands of times better. Also you get a dog.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Roguelike posted:

The p4 team is the worst. I restarted to play as the p3 team and it's hundreds, perhaps thousands of times better. Also you get a dog.

Do you ever get the members of the other team? To mix and match?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

quaunaut posted:

Do you ever get the members of the other team? To mix and match?

Yeah, of course. But the story mainly focuses on whoever you pick first.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my brain cannot register the idea of the p3 team being better

just kanji alone means there's a huge plus in the p4 team's column

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

hubris.height posted:

my brain cannot register the idea of the p3 team being better

just kanji alone means there's a huge plus in the p4 team's column

Yeah seriously I'm gonna need an explanation

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, of course. But the story mainly focuses on whoever you pick first.

Well, then I now know Aigis is out of my group. Now whether to put Chie or Yukiko in her spot.

Also, Rei is quickly becoming my favorite Persona character. She's like a thin Kirby.

Edit: And the P3 team is better because Mitsuru is your God.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've gotta say, a newcomer would not get any of the references made in the P4 side. They talk about things like Chie running off in the first dungeon and going into the TV without any sort of exposition. They don't even really react to Margaret aside from Rise being jealous. Storywise this is just a chance for us to see some more interaction of the cast, just like they did with the P4G anime. I think someone at Atlus is really kicking themselves for killing P3MC and not having Yu stay in Inaba for his senior year with all his friends.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

quaunaut posted:

Well, then I now know Aigis is out of my group. Now whether to put Chie or Yukiko in her spot.

Also, Rei is quickly becoming my favorite Persona character. She's like a thin Kirby.

Edit: And the P3 team is better because Mitsuru is your God.

It's a shame that Zen is such an unlikable douche. I'm calling it now he's like Rei's transformed dog to protect her or some dumb poo poo like that. Game owns pretty hard though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Played a couple hours of Q last night (as the superior p4 team obviously). This game is incredible. Never played an EO game before but I can tell I'm gonna get obsessed with Q pretty bad.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really want to use Rei and Zen but I feel like their inability to use subpersona is hurting their usability. The lack of the refilling HP and SP buffer makes me not want to use any of their skill to hit weaknesses in random battles. I found a weapon for them that adds an element to their normal attack but I'm not sure yet if that's enough.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ethiser posted:

I really want to use Rei and Zen but I feel like their inability to use subpersona is hurting their usability. The lack of the refilling HP and SP buffer makes me not want to use any of their skill to hit weaknesses in random battles.

One of the very first abilities Rei gets is one that refills their SP as you walk. If you just use one ability to start off a Boost chain with them and they don't get hit to knock them out of it, they should start every fight at full SP.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Well my website's Waifu Wars: The Legend of Best Girl poll / tournament is now at the quarter-finals stage: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/waifu-wars-legend-best-girl-quarter-finals/

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
how the gently caress is Rise beating Teddie.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

how the gently caress is Rise beating Teddie.

risette is everyone's idol

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tired Moritz posted:

How the gently caress does P3's not do exactly the same thing? I refuse to believe they didn't make Fuuka nearly as obnoxious during combat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

How the gently caress does P3's not do exactly the same thing? I refuse to believe they didn't make Fuuka nearly as obnoxious during combat.

Fuuka barely says poo poo in combat. Like a line at the beginning and that's it.

The P3 team in general has been pretty good. Aigis especially went from being real boring to being pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I cannot imagine a world where Fuuka is actually bearable.