Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Ooo, protesters at Coffee Cartel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Cuntpunch posted:

KSDK super busy watching some folks on a rooftop.

Mystery buckets, what could they mean?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

William T. Hornaday posted:

Ooo, protesters at Coffee Cartel.

Please tell me that's not the actual name of the coffee shop

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

zen death robot posted:

Yeah there's 2200 National Guard out tonight or something like that.

The Kurds should burn down a Walgreen's.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who claims that they can't support your struggle against an insititution or society that loves to see you poo poo on and dead because you lashed out in an unconstructive manner was never your loving ally to begin with.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Tardcore posted:

Mystery buckets, what could they mean?

The news games sound pretty sad the guys didn't have weapons.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

420DD Butts posted:

Please tell me that's not the actual name of the coffee shop

It most definitely is.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://twitter.com/Stanfordfraser/status/537420076610494464

‏@Stanfordfraser
Protestors outside the prison. A powerful moment #Boston #Ferguson

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
STLDagger trying to hit on a lady

Looks like people are on the move now.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pomp posted:

Anyone who claims that they can't support your struggle against an insititution or society that loves to see you poo poo on and dead because you lashed out in an unconstructive manner was never your loving ally to begin with.

Look, I would have supported you in your battle against rape but you had to go and yell about it, and that really bothered me. I guess we'll never have change if you can't just learn to never inconvenience me.

It most definitely is.

:sigh:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Petey posted:

‏@Stanfordfraser

Does Boston have a prison just like out in a normal part of the city or something?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Protesters in Ferguson are on the move. At a very leisurely pace.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

So how long can one of those news choppers stay up before they need fuel?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pomp posted:

Ding ding ding ding ding

If they take the first opportunity that arises to paint your entire race as savage animals then they were looking for it all along and would have betrayed you to begin with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Petey posted:

‏@Stanfordfraser

That prison looks like the apartment building that you burn down in San Andreas.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Does Boston have a prison just like out in a normal part of the city or something?
Yep.

Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed 2h2 hours ago
Prisoners have written 'Mike' on cell windows #IndictBoston

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Politicians often say things that aren't true or correct. It's shocking, but it happens.

That's literally a major foundation of Gandhi's non-violence strategy - you walk unarmed towards the men with truncheons and get your skull cracked open, and goad the regime into acting with naked brutality towards a pacifist target. You can argue about the strategy's effectiveness or morality, but Gandhi is one of the great strategists of civil disobedience and protest in the 20th century.

It's really not controversial that a major component of protest strategy is drawing a disproportionate response from local authorities in an effort to raise the stakes of the issue and publicize it.

That's exactly why it's effective for peaceful protesters to do "stupid" things like march in front of and yell at armed militarized police. Getting the police to tear gas journalists and peaceful protests is kind of the point, particularly when what they're doing to provoke that response is reasonable and within their rights.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

A lot of cities have them in the middle of "normal" areas. Where is the city/county jail supposed to be located? An island surrounded by sharks?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Smashing a police car again.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Someone just missed setting the copcar on fire.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
gently caress the police (vehicles)

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Whoever lit that fire is probably hosed. Set that car and my heart aflame.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Periodiko posted:

That's literally a major foundation of Gandhi's non-violence strategy - you walk unarmed towards the men with truncheons and get your skull cracked open, and goad the regime into acting with naked brutality towards a pacifist target. You can argue about the strategy's effectiveness or morality, but Gandhi is one of the great strategists of civil disobedience and protest in the 20th century.

It's really not controversial that a major component of protest strategy is drawing a disproportionate response from local authorities in an effort to raise the stakes of the issue and publicize it.

That's exactly why it's effective for peaceful protesters to do "stupid" things like march in front of and yell at armed militarized police. Getting the police to tear gas journalists and peaceful protests is kind of the point, particularly when what they're doing to provoke that response is reasonable and within their rights.

It's too bad the existence of looters and arsonists three blocks away entirely neuters this tactic, huh. :(

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smashing a police car again.

Let me guess...another abandoned police car left randomly between the cops and protesters. Is this on a stream?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Rah! posted:

A lot of cities have them in the middle of "normal" areas. Where is the city/county jail supposed to be located? An island surrounded by sharks?

I wonder if it's because riker's island and alcatraz are some of the most well known prisons in the country that people get this image.

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
Annnnd now the cop car is gonna be on fire.

e: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9690208/events/3569957

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Rah! posted:

An island surrounded by sharks?

Well, that was one model, yes.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Sharkie posted:

Let me guess...another abandoned police car left randomly between the cops and protesters. Is this on a stream?

Sitting idly by itself right in front of city hall.

Now on fire.

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
Seems like it's time to smash cop car number two now.

Edit: or was something weird with my feed. Was that the same car?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

nutranurse posted:

I wonder if it's because riker's island and alcatraz are some of the most well known prisons in the country that people get this image.

My city has a jail (two actually) just outside of downtown Indianapolis but all of the state prisons across the state are just or well outside of small towns. Hell, in some of the cases, the prison is pretty much the economic engine of the town.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Periodiko posted:

This is exactly right, all this falls apart when you start yelling Burn this bitch down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFsy9kKIEI8 , and then people set businesses on fire you lose. If your goal is to be an rear end in a top hat or cause other people pain you lose, because you aren't the group humanity will have empathy for.

If you can't wrap your brain around this. You should stay at home because you are doing more harm than good.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Holy poo poo, police on the ground are actually responding to things.

Putting the car out with a fire extinguisher.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ditocoaf posted:

It's too bad the existence of looters and arsonists three blocks away entirely neuters this tactic, huh. :(

Quite to the contrary. Every peaceful civil disobedience movement had a violent counterpart. You have one side that goes "we just want rights, we're not hurting anybody" and another side that goes "we want rights and we'll loving kill you all if we don't get it." The carrot and the stick. People are more likely to negotiate with the former when the alternative is the latter.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
stldagger wants to get blown up or something.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Periodiko posted:

Yeah and lo and behold, modern security apparatus can handle it better than British and Indian constabularies from back in the day. It's almost like people adapt.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Periodiko posted:

There was plenty of violent resistance in India alongside Gandhi's non-violence movement, and even he said if you don't have the courage or moral conviction required for confrontational non-violent protest that violence was preferable to non-violence born from fear.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, police on the ground are actually responding to things.

Putting the car out with a fire extinguisher.

You can tell somebody was like "hey can we not let cars burn to a cinder-whitened frame? That'd be great, thanks."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Man Whore posted:

can I get some more context for this photo?

NYTimes photo referencing the increased Guard presence in Ferguson area.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Equine Don posted:

Patrolling the neighborhoods.

This is completely accurate. Went out for food last night and saw cops from all the tiny noco municipalities just doing high speed laps around their territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

You can tell somebody was like "hey can we not let cars burn to a cinder-whitened frame? That'd be great, thanks."

The police helicopter apparently was there with its spotlight on them the whole time.

• Locked thread