Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

unlimited shrimp posted:

is anyone openly advocating for rioting or is it more like, "I understand why it's happening and I can't really condemn it."

Typically the latter, but people like TIC will do their level best to paint it as the former. Unless you agree that those people are acting like savages, well then you might as well be down there hurling molotovs yourself you goddamn miscreant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Also I've seen precious little rioting in these live streams, white or otherwise.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I don't really think that follows.

I didn't elaborate well enough. Regardless of how king presented his message he still was murdered and whites really hate the things he's done and are avidly undoing his work while holding king up as some shining beacon that was 'one of the good ones'. Non violence is nice and stuff, but it would be nice to be able to be non violent and still get to talk about your message rather than be murdered, but that doesn't matter to white people:

It doesn't matter how the message is presented, whatsoever, they'll still shoot you dead. It's just that with nonviolence you get to have your image rehabilitated/hacked apart to fit the viewpoints of racists advocating for the status quo.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 26, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
look

unless you've learned the one weird trick of a just society

then you are in fact the real prolembs

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

tsa posted:

"Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals."

Sadly there's not a single real-world case where nonviolent protests accomplished anything of note. No, not Ghandi, not MLK - if anything the assassination of MLK and subsequent race riots were what brought about civil rights legislation. Anti war protests from the 60's-00's had no impact whatsoever on US foreign policy.

Nowadays it's even easier to marginalize protestors - unless the American people are actually willing to fight the government to regain their rights, nothing will change. And all the white liberals have been brainwashed by this idea that awareness=change so it's not like they're ever going to fix this situation. Anybody that creates any movement of note is hobbled by this fallacious philosophy that protests shouldn't inconvenience normal people when that's the whole point of protest.

So until people actually start fighting the police and burning down their police stations, nothing will ever change. And by this I mean nothing will ever change. America is hosed. This is the government you deserve.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Thanks ZDR, just as vice stream seems to have died.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
I don't think anything positive is going to occur until the African American community wakes up and realizes they are living in a defacto apartheid state and that for all they want to protest and set things on fire and wreck things, or stand around and block roads or hold up their hands, nothing will ever be achieved.

What do we know from South Africa? Apartheid was stopped not by massive peaceful protests but the piercing intelligence of a few individuals. Terrorism was the greatest tool of the anti-apartheid forces at work in South Africa and continues to be the greatest tool anyone in America can use to make their point and voices heard.

You can create a bunch of protests across each city but those can be targeted. Ignored. Their messages changes and switched. Your mindset must be bigger. The way you function must make it impossible for your message to be misinterpreted. You must strike fear into the hearts of anyone who would even think of misinterpreting it or twisting it. This is why serial murderers are so effective in getting their messages out their. The simple power of fear. Something the white majority is quite capable of.

When you destroy a bunch of poo poo in a black neighborhood you're really not creating fear. Many of the individuals who are being persecuted in these black communities are extremely poor, and overall the are impoverished. But they are not completely without resources. You have large drug trade organizations working throughout these communities. Structures and networks that can be exploited to fund anything you desire.

Take the model of the FARC in Colombia. A communist terrorist organization running amuck in the steep hills of Colombia. Completely untraceable. Guerilla warfare and terrorism is their main method of action. And due to the threat they place on the life of many individuals their message is certainly not misinterpreted, as unpopular as it may be.

Any solution to the current apartheid states that feature as the center of our african-american communities in America should involve something theoretically similar. A army funded by the control of the drug trade within these communities, who use these funds to wage terror on those who have failed to protect them and give them the simple rights they deserve. The Media and the government. Hidden amongst the ruins of our rotting american cities and ghettos.

And while the FBI or CIA may be able to take down a group of ten, or twenty, or thirty well armed terrorists who have been forced to come from overseas and acclimate to our culture to be able to hide and carry out their work. Here you could easily have hundreds of them locally grown and trained and there'd be no hope for the government but to give in to their demands.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

bad day posted:

Sadly there's not a single real-world case where nonviolent protests accomplished anything of note. No, not Ghandi, not MLK - if anything the assassination of MLK and subsequent race riots were what brought about civil rights legislation. Anti war protests from the 60's-00's had no impact whatsoever on US foreign policy.
Um, you're forgetting our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

King didn't really advocate peaceful protest so much as he advocated peaceful antagonism until the jails were choked with meaningless arrests and crazed police action was on every broadcast. Nowadays you try that and the crazed police action will get like ten minutes of coverage before the news goes back to talking about Kim Kardashian's rear end.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

bad day posted:

Nowadays it's even easier to marginalize protestors - unless the American people are actually willing to fight the government to regain their rights, nothing will change. And all the white liberals have been brainwashed by this idea that awareness=change so it's not like they're ever going to fix this situation. Anybody that creates any movement of note is hobbled by this fallacious philosophy that protests shouldn't inconvenience normal people when that's the whole point of protest.

So until people actually start fighting the police and burning down their police stations, nothing will ever change. And by this I mean nothing will ever change. America is hosed. This is the government you deserve.

Got a hot news flash for you, the police don't write the laws. Burning down their police stations is a good way to end up dead. Just like attacking them is a good way to end up dead.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

England Sucks posted:

I don't think anything positive is going to occur until the African American community wakes up and realizes they are living in a defacto apartheid state and that for all they want to protest and set things on fire and wreck things, or stand around and block roads or hold up their hands, nothing will ever be achieved.

What do we know from South Africa? Apartheid was stopped not by massive peaceful protests but the piercing intelligence of a few individuals. Terrorism was the greatest tool of the anti-apartheid forces at work in South Africa and continues to be the greatest tool anyone in America can use to make their point and voices heard.

You can create a bunch of protests across each city but those can be targeted. Ignored. Their messages changes and switched. Your mindset must be bigger. The way you function must make it impossible for your message to be misinterpreted. You must strike fear into the hearts of anyone who would even think of misinterpreting it or twisting it. This is why serial murderers are so effective in getting their messages out their. The simple power of fear. Something the white majority is quite capable of.

When you destroy a bunch of poo poo in a black neighborhood you're really not creating fear. Many of the individuals who are being persecuted in these black communities are extremely poor, and overall the are impoverished. But they are not completely without resources. You have large drug trade organizations working throughout these communities. Structures and networks that can be exploited to fund anything you desire.

Take the model of the FARC in Colombia. A communist terrorist organization running amuck in the steep hills of Colombia. Completely untraceable. Guerilla warfare and terrorism is their main method of action. And due to the threat they place on the life of many individuals their message is certainly not misinterpreted, as unpopular as it may be.

Any solution to the current apartheid states that feature as the center of our african-american communities in America should involve something theoretically similar. A army funded by the control of the drug trade within these communities, who use these funds to wage terror on those who have failed to protect them and give them the simple rights they deserve. The Media and the government. Hidden amongst the ruins of our rotting american cities and ghettos.

And while the FBI or CIA may be able to take down a group of ten, or twenty, or thirty well armed terrorists who have been forced to come from overseas and acclimate to our culture to be able to hide and carry out their work. Here you could easily have hundreds of them locally grown and trained and there'd be no hope for the government but to give in to their demands.

:yikes:

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

RavenKrows posted:

Got a hot news flash for you, the police don't write the laws. Burning down their police stations is a good way to end up dead. Just like attacking them is a good way to end up dead.

Or selling cigarettes on the sidewalk.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

quote:

Wesley Lowery ‏@WesleyLowery 2m2 minutes ago
At least three more arrested outside Ferguson PD. More targeted snatches. Letting bulk of (largely peaceful) crowd do as they please

So some improvement from last night on the part of the police, I guess.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Please do not try to finance a revolution with drug trafficking money, everyone.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

I Dont Like You posted:

Or selling cigarettes on the sidewalk.

NYPD are a bunch of dicks, what do you want for it? For such a progressive place New York is really lovely I guess!
*see also the LAPD for dicks in uniform*

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

King didn't really advocate peaceful protest so much as he advocated peaceful antagonism until the jails were choked with meaningless arrests and crazed police action was on every broadcast. Nowadays you try that and the crazed police action will get like ten minutes of coverage before the news goes back to talking about Kim Kardashian's rear end.

His strategy in inciting violence in the 2nd Montgomery march but he himself being absent was a brilliant move to gain political capital and pressure political leaders overall.

Non-violence protest doesn't mean you don't use protests that get violent as sources of energy and power, but we're living in a post 9/11 world so gently caress me

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

unlimited shrimp posted:

Um, you're forgetting our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

P. sure he was never a real person.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

England Sucks posted:

:lol:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bad day posted:

This is kind of an unfortunate reality. The closest thing to non-violence that actually has any measurable impact is doing illegal non-violent things, like illegally occupying buildings or blocking streets, though I'm sure even that would be condemned by your average white liberal/moderate. The status quo simply does not change unless those who benefit from it feel threatened (or at least heavily inconvenienced) in some way.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

The closest thing to non-violence that actually has any measurable impact is doing illegal non-violent things, like illegally occupying buildings or blocking streets, though I'm sure even that would be condemned by your average white liberal/moderate.

It's happened a few times just in this thread so yeah.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Foma posted:

You think what people are doing now is going to have a positive effect? I don't I think the protesters are making giant strides backwards. It is now going to be harder to change things for the better.

Yes, I believe in democracy, I think the system we have going for it is good and solid, I think a lot of the problems we have are do to people not participating in those systems and being disenfranchised. I think constant cynicism is self hobbling.

You don't live in a democracy. You live in an oligarcy. Hth.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

bad day posted:

You've got some details mixed up* but on the whole you're correct. There is no such thing as "nonviolent" change; all changes are violent and the status quo is violent and all social relations end up being expressed violently. So really when people talk about condemning violence they just want quiet, since people are still going to be shot, and beaten, and evicted.

* for example: The Vietnam anti-war rallies did accomplish things of note, but that's because conservative critics were correct - they actually significantly sabotaged the war effort by undermining the draft, or field morale resulting in fraggings, etc. Similarly Gandhi got a lot of credit for things but India's independence movement was also very violent.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

RavenKrows posted:

Read what I'm saying. Nothing will change until people fight the police, who are just a gang, when it comes down to it. And this is not going to happen. So nothing will ever change. It's ok for me though, I'm busy building my future outside the USA and don't have much interest in moving back there.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

England Sucks posted:

"Crip ISIS," capital idea there bud

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
If Pirus and Crips all got along
they bring the state down by the end of this song

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

Please do not try to finance a revolution with drug trafficking money, everyone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Ender posted:

Okay - so if MLK's methods were so convincing, why did James Earl Ray decide to shoot him? Shouldn't MLK's words have soothed his trigger finger to sleep, so to speak?

That's a standard you're never, ever, ever going to reach no matter what methods you use.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

That's a standard you're never, ever, ever going to reach no matter what methods you use.

Which was my point.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

To be fair it was a bad idea.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Z's back up

http://www.ustream.tv/z

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Ender posted:

Which was my point.

Great point, then?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

The Ender posted:

Which was my point.

The person probably thought you were trying to say something intelligent.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

At the Qdoba again.

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012

Pomp posted:

My grandmother has told me stories about her parents cheering and celebrating when they found out MLK got murdered.

:corsair: How.... how young are young people these days? Your great-grandmother's generation were adults in 1968?! Whoa

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

This owns.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

England Sucks posted:

holy gently caress thank you for this laugh, man.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

"Crip ISIS," capital idea there bud

Do you want a real solution or do you want to sit around ferguson with your hands in the air?

Burning poo poo does not work. Targeting people who make this actually happen will. Make someone afraid, and uncomfortable, and give them no way to stop that uncomfort or fear and you win the battle.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Of course Job Truniht would advocate for domestic terraism. Anything to scare up some votes you slimy pos?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Keg posted:

I can't keep this up because I have decided only to use my trolling for good, so I have to admit that post is a c/p of the ravings of a lunatic with severe anxiety and agoraphobia who gets welfare because of it and lives in subsidized housing south of Market St in San Francisco.

I knew you were good, Keg...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow they are banging on their shields. lmfao

• Locked thread