Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Offliberty.com is a pretty effortless way to get stuff off YouTube. Works for some other sites too from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Call Me Charlie posted:

Are you sure you sideloaded the correct version? Gotham 13.2 ARM is the one you want.

Yup, that's the one. drat I had to check thought, I thought I might have used the x86 version. I might just try reloading it and see how it goes.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Is anyone else having problems with scraping new TV episodes information from TVDB for the last couple days?

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Offliberty.com is a pretty effortless way to get stuff off YouTube. Works for some other sites too from memory.
If you don't want to go through a website, you can't go wrong with youtube-dl.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there a simple way to get external players working in XBMC that doesn't involve editing batch files? I've got Powerdvd for watching blurays which works great, but I want to play BDs on it from XBMC. But I can't get it working with the guides on the official forums.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Just ordered an M8 Android box to try. Any tips for starting out? It says its rooted and set up with XBMC already but firgure I will need to mess around with it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
While I still think the name is dumb, but the new logo is pretty cool:

I really need to overhaul the OP, or post a new one, but I'm not sure when I'll have time between work and the holidays.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
In one of the comments, another guy suggested XPMC (Cross Platform Media Center) and I still can't figure out why they didn't just go with that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

I really need to overhaul the OP, or post a new one, but I'm not sure when I'll have time between work and the holidays.

I would wait till 14 final is out. Make a new thread with the new name or have a mod change this one.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

In one of the comments, another guy suggested XPMC (Cross Platform Media Center) and I still can't figure out why they didn't just go with that.

Too close to the original - the name needed to be as different as possible. Remember, the entire reason for this change was so they could acquire copyright control over the name and keep 1,000's of dumbasses and opportunists from piggybacking off the XBMC names "brand recognition".

Search for XBMC on any mobile application store for examples.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Uthor posted:

I was asked to explain nfo files in the HTPC thread.

Thank you for this, you've written it up incredibly clearly. I've got some random one-offs and TV specials that I've had for years not showing up in XBMC and this will do the trick. Now to just rename all my Rifftrax videos so they actually show up, but :effort:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I hope this doesn't fly too close to :filez:

I've been buying The Walking Dead through Xbox Video or Zune or whatever it's calling itself now. It was a good idea when I used an Xbox 360 as my entertainment hub, but now it's annoying that I'm using an HTPC. I can play them through MS's Video app in Windows 8, but would much rather catalog the series in XBMC with everything else.

Is there a good way of doing this? You can download files to your hard drive, but they are full of DRM, so XBMC can't do anything with them (I don't think). Maybe a way of stripping the DRM out?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sadly, that is :filez: (I think, I'd love it to not be).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
It's only :filez: of you are sharing those unencrypted videos. Do whatever the gently caress you want if it's for personal use only.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
:filez: them anyways. I mean, you paid for them in one way or another right?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

Just ordered an M8 Android box to try. Any tips for starting out? It says its rooted and set up with XBMC already but firgure I will need to mess around with it.

Flash Finless 1.8 rom from freaktab. In my opinion is the most stable of the 3 custom roms floating out there and has nice little tweaks to make it run a bit more smoothly and no Chinese clutter apps.

He packages it with a special modded XBMC that asks for super user so it can (seemingly) send chmod commands to the cpu governor and scaling and stuff. I don't actually know if its necessary.

My suggestion? Download BombSquad from the play store and get a compatible gamepad. It's fun as hell and is some of the best gaming i've done on any platform in a while.

If you want addon suggestions: Genesis and p2p streams

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You can talk about breaking DRM on your own files for your own use all you want.

jasius
Oct 24, 2014
What is the actual best Android STB? I just want DTS MA, 3D HSBS or HOU playback and H.265, true 24p(or whatever that 23.... number is), 1080p( I don't have any fancy 4k set). I've got a nice AVR that can pass DTS MA HD through it.

They've just announced the Minix x8-h PLUS which is just below $200 beaver bucks, I'm ok with that but if theres something else I can get to do what I want, I'll be fine.

I hear so many nightmares about Minix boxes dying and MIII boxes dying, all I hear is sad stories, of course these are the worst ones you'll read about, people that are happy rarely comment.

jasius fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 26, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

jasius posted:

What is the actual best Android STB? I just want DTS MA, 3D HSBS or HOU playback and H.265, true 24p(or whatever that 23.... number is), 1080p( I don't have any fancy 4k set). I've got a nice AVR that can pass DTS MA HD through it.

They've just announced the Minix x8-h PLUS which is just below $200 beaver bucks, I'm ok with that but if theres something else I can get to do what I want, I'll be fine.

I hear so many nightmares about Minix boxes dying and MIII boxes dying, all I hear is sad stories, of course these are the worst ones you'll read about, people that are happy rarely comment.

I wouldn't worry about h265 unless you have a 4k set.

jasius
Oct 24, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

I wouldn't worry about h265 unless you have a 4k set.

But it's for futureproofing, won't many of the movies be ripped for h265 eventually? Then I'd be in this situation where I have to pick and choose version of a movie to get.
I thought h265 was going to save space in downloading things in whenever it's adopted.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
H265 support is in Kodi 14.0 there is however very little hardware support so you need a powerful CPU at the moment.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My Celeron NUC will decode H265 in Kodi. I don't know if it has hardware support or not though. Rick and Morty at 1080p, so I dunno if cartoons are extra easy on the CPU and maybe a live action movie would lag.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

TomR posted:

My Celeron NUC will decode H265 in Kodi. I don't know if it has hardware support or not though. Rick and Morty at 1080p, so I dunno if cartoons are extra easy on the CPU and maybe a live action movie would lag.

I don't believe any current Intel chip has HEVC hardware decoding support, and regardless, Kodi only has software HEVC decoding currently.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Well that solves that mystery. I don't know what powerful means in HTPC context, maybe a Celeron is high end compared to an ARM box.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TomR posted:

Well that solves that mystery. I don't know what powerful means in HTPC context, maybe a Celeron is high end compared to an ARM box.

If we're talking about a Celeron from the last 18 months or so, it's much more powerful (in this context) than an ARM.

jasius
Oct 24, 2014
So lets say I forget about the h.265 for a minute what box should I get with my needs listed in my other post?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have movies that aren't showing up. I can brows them manually, but in my library they just arent there. I've ripped stuff then used Mediaelch to give nfo, posters, banners, all that fun stuff. I would say about 10 or so of my movies are just plain missing. I can manually navigate to them through the file browser, but ijust not in the library. I've tried to update library and it does nothing. Any ideas to get them to show up?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

KKKLIP ART posted:

I have movies that aren't showing up. I can brows them manually, but in my library they just arent there. I've ripped stuff then used Mediaelch to give nfo, posters, banners, all that fun stuff. I would say about 10 or so of my movies are just plain missing. I can manually navigate to them through the file browser, but ijust not in the library. I've tried to update library and it does nothing. Any ideas to get them to show up?

Find them in the file browser, hit 'i' and select refresh. It should ask if you want to load the local info. After that, it should be added to your library.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Find them in the file browser, hit 'i' and select refresh. It should ask if you want to load the local info. After that, it should be added to your library.

I'm on a FireTV, so this might not be an option. Maybe need to see if I can get it to recognize a USB keyboard.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm on a FireTV, so this might not be an option. Maybe need to see if I can get it to recognize a USB keyboard.

It will but you should really look in to installing one of the context-friendly alternative remote mappings to allow you to get more out of the Fire remote keys:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Alternative_keymaps_for_Fire_TV_remote

All you need to do is transfer over the file.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Sorry if its been mentioned, but how does the Fire Stick perform when streaming 1080p content over Wifi?. I'm still using an old Revo 3600 but it just looks odd sitting there.

EDIT: or is a FireTV a better option?

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 2, 2014

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Performance of video will depend on your router, your home, other devices that could cause interference, etc. I'm sure some people are streaming 1080p fine but that doesn't mean you'll be able to. Only way to know for sure is to buy one and cross your fingers.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

Sorry if its been mentioned, but how does the Fire Stick perform when streaming 1080p content over Wifi?. I'm still using an old Revo 3600 but it just looks odd sitting there.

EDIT: or is a FireTV a better option?

They both have 2.4/5GHz N (and a/b/g) wireless which is decent, not great, and is the biggest factor. It really depends what you mean by 1080p - that's the resolution, but it's the total bitrate of the content that matters. As well as how it is encoded - badly encoded content will have worse streaming performance at the same bitrates as content that was encoded correctly for streaming. XBMC and ffmpeg can do a very good job correcting for this, but only if the stream you are sending it is consistent.

If you want a "just works" box that plays any randomly encoded high bitrate crap you downloaded and throw at it you should look in to a more powerful box with stronger wireless, and make sure your home wireless setup is optimized to match. Or go wired.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Ixian posted:

They both have 2.4/5GHz N (and a/b/g) wireless which is decent, not great, and is the biggest factor. It really depends what you mean by 1080p - that's the resolution, but it's the total bitrate of the content that matters. As well as how it is encoded - badly encoded content will have worse streaming performance at the same bitrates as content that was encoded correctly for streaming. XBMC and ffmpeg can do a very good job correcting for this, but only if the stream you are sending it is consistent.

If you want a "just works" box that plays any randomly encoded high bitrate crap you downloaded and throw at it you should look in to a more powerful box with stronger wireless, and make sure your home wireless setup is optimized to match. Or go wired.

Thanks. Well I tried to order one but I'm in Canada so Amazon is cock blocking me.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Thanks. Well I tried to order one but I'm in Canada so Amazon is cock blocking me.

Nexus Player has worked great for me with Kodi playing videos over WiFi. Ordered a second one this morning.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Can anyone explain why when I do a library clean up I am all of a sudden getting a ton of "WARNING: CreateLoader - Unsupported protocol(plugin) in plugin://websiteforvideoIwatchedmonthsago" during library cleanup? It looks like XBMC is going through every single youtube/twitch/trailer video I have watched. At first I thought it was because I hadn't cleaned it in a while and thats why it was taking so long but I just tried running the cleanup again and its popping up those exact same errors. I'm running Openelec 4.2.1 on my HTPC.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Word of caution on the FireTV Stick and XBMC. Mine overheats about every other day which causes the wifi signal to drop and it refuses to re-authenticate. I've got two more sticks I haven't had time to set up yet so I'm not sure if it's an isolated incident or not.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

suddenlyissoon posted:

Word of caution on the FireTV Stick and XBMC. Mine overheats about every other day which causes the wifi signal to drop and it refuses to re-authenticate. I've got two more sticks I haven't had time to set up yet so I'm not sure if it's an isolated incident or not.

Haven't had that happen on mine. Are you exiting out of XBMC so the device can go to sleep when it's not in use?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Can I get a skin recommendation that let's me pin addons to the main menu? Is that even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bigass Moth posted:

Can I get a skin recommendation that let's me pin addons to the main menu? Is that even possible?

Amber.

Add the add-on or android app to your favorites then Settings -> Home Menu -> Select an empty slot -> Select the app -> Name it