Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

sharts posted:

OK, I'm reading Ava's Demon for the first time and I really don't like how it's laid out. Whole thing feels like looking at an overrendered storyboard one board at a time which, coupled with the site being slow to load (for me anyway), feels incredibly inefficient. Also I'm pretty sure Hellraiser did this kind of body horror better

Ditto, and I don't think the constrained panel format really helps the story. There are too many scenes that could've benefitted a lot from a different panel layout. 90% of the panels are medium shots or close ups, there's no room for any of the environment to breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Angry Walrus posted:

Would he actually think it was bad though, even if he did believe her?

It's not like the machine on the inside is doing anything different from what the guy standing on the outside said it was going to do.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mercury Hat posted:

Ditto, and I don't think the constrained panel format really helps the story. There are too many scenes that could've benefitted a lot from a different panel layout. 90% of the panels are medium shots or close ups, there's no room for any of the environment to breathe.

I knew that was what was bugging me!

Also despite appreciating what it is trying to do, loading the latest updates made my internet chug something fierce - did anyone else have this problem?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm having difficulty following this chapter of Gunnerkrigg Court, but something it is doing well (and GC does well on the whole) is keep that sense of tremendous and impressive scale. I don't think I've ever felt that way in Ava's Demon in part because of the restricted size format. I own the GC and the Ava's Demon books, and despite the GC books being physically smaller, they still "feel" bigger because of how they ended up being translated to print.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Literally Kermit posted:

I knew that was what was bugging me!

Also despite appreciating what it is trying to do, loading the latest updates made my internet chug something fierce - did anyone else have this problem?

Her site can't handle the traffic it gets.

Personally I like the 1 panel at a time thing. I guess I just don't miss the setting not being everywhere. I think it takes care of it well enough with the colors and the occasional shot of a room, and she does some interesting things with the space surrounding her panels when it's fitting for the story. It could be worse.

Also I think GC is much better read a chapter at a time. Any one update is kind of strange by itself but fits really well into the overall arc. Problem with the medium I guess.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The website for Ava's Demon has always been horrendously slow, no matter what day I visit it. Before, I used to use Re-Pagination to load all the new pages in one go in their own tab, while browsing other stuff, and then coming back to the AD tab a couple hours later; but now it's not possible given that most (but not all) pages use some javascript trickery to supposedly load several images at once and these javascripted pages no longer have individual URLs (URLs are in the form http://www.avasdemon.com/pages.php#1287 using the anchor as the page number, instead of the form http://www.avasdemon.com/1293.php which is still used from time to time for special effects). So instead of having all the pages loaded at once in a batch that can be read from top to bottom, I get one page and the next, with the current page sometimes loading more slowly than the next so the next page is spoiled by the current page being only half-displayed, and when going on the next page I have to wait as it slowly load the next page's next page... Sometimes it also simply refuses to load, no matter what.

What I'm saying is that it's pretty much awful as far as loading goes.

Also echoing that the lack of variety in layout and composition doesn't help.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so, what's going on in A Ghost Story? it seems pretty clear that something is screwed up here, but not sure what. i think it would help if i knew what the legal and actual personhood status of ghosts in the setting is. or am i just dense?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The site for Ava's Demon isn't completely slammed anymore so you can view the grossness in a more reasonable amount of time now.

This update kinda makes me more confused about the censoring swearing that came up a while back.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Tollymain posted:

so, what's going on in A Ghost Story? it seems pretty clear that something is screwed up here, but not sure what. i think it would help if i knew what the legal and actual personhood status of ghosts in the setting is. or am i just dense?

Laundromat lady didn't notify authorities that a missing person was now in fact a ghost, denying her family closure.

That's a paddlin'.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Parts Kit posted:

The site for Ava's Demon isn't completely slammed anymore so you can view the grossness in a more reasonable amount of time now.

This update kinda makes me more confused about the censoring swearing that came up a while back.

She did that so it could be published, but the publisher said she'd have to stop updating online as well so it didn't have much effect ultimately.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Tollymain posted:

Well there are those old stories of a child climbing into a washing machine and dying. That'd probably cause a ghost in there and definitely not want to be something the owner wanted to get out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Is that from a webcomic?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

What's the name of this comic again? Every page you post of it is simultaneously incomprehensible and beautiful.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

HorseRenoir posted:

What's the name of this comic again? Every page you post of it is simultaneously incomprehensible and beautiful.

Quick GIS (this is a really useful plugin) reveals it's Nature of Nature's Art

You know, this one:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Autonomous Monster posted:

Quick GIS (this is a really useful plugin) reveals it's Nature of Nature's Art

You know, this one:

That comic is completely off-the-wall nuts, but not in a terrible way. I need to read it from start to finish one of these days.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
Nature of Nature's Art gives me a headache every time someone brings it up or posts a page of it. It feels like outsider art despite really not being so (maybe pretentious as gently caress though). I don't know what it is about this particular webcomic that gives me an allergic reaction. Please send help and/or explanations. Am I the crazy one after all?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Cirrial posted:

Nature of Nature's Art gives me a headache every time someone brings it up or posts a page of it. It feels like outsider art despite really not being so (maybe pretentious as gently caress though). I don't know what it is about this particular webcomic that gives me an allergic reaction. Please send help and/or explanations. Am I the crazy one after all?

No, that's pretty natural. I came in during the middle of when we posted it in the mock thread. It's about humanity ascending to a higher plane or something poo poo like that.

Having a gut reaction of "pretentious" is not that unfair.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

It's about humanity ascending to a higher plane or something poo poo like that.

But I thought it was about smart animals? Or is humanity having ascended to a higher plane why all the animals are smart? Something about metaphysical psyches? Agh. :psyduck:

Literally Kermit posted:

Having a gut reaction of "pretentious" is not that unfair.

After hearing raving comments on it elsewhere I thought I was the only one who felt it was almost purposefully incomprehensibly dense and filled with stupid new terms for things that didn't need stupid new terms.

I dunno, when some people I knew were raving about the one off "Pikachu becomes a wizened Buddhist monk" comic the guy did a while back I just felt like maybe I'm a dumb idiot who can't appreciate art or something.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cirrial posted:

But I thought it was about smart animals? Or is humanity having ascended to a higher plane why all the animals are smart? Something about metaphysical psyches? Agh. :psyduck:

Good question, let's see what the author says about his setting.

quote:

Our countries, our society, our civilization; they were unstoppable. But the world is long overdue for a catastrophe. And as the capable hands of homo sapiens sapiens wring the secrets from the clutches of the natural world, another force stirs. Something primal, something powerful. A civilization in labor, bristling with the adolescent humanity of those outside the scope of history. Those who are not yet privy to the title "man", and brandish it anyway: the animals.

What anomaly expedites their headlong rush into sapience? And what web does it reticulate from the nature of their art?

also if i remember rightly the animals' psyches literally float in halos above their heads

:shrug: its confusing but I like the art

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Has anyone informed the populace that webcomics are bad, lately?

I think we need to be sure that everyone is informed of this fact.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Webcomics own and always have owned. Every webcomic is fantastic.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If you don't lik every webcomics, get out of here.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Has anyone informed the populace that webcomics are bad, lately?

I think we need to be sure that everyone is informed of this fact.

I think there's a time and a place. It's fine to keep this thread for the more civilised discussion, and the other thread for so BSS throws us out we had too much fun mocking webcomics, thread is sent to GBS. GBS throws us out because we weren't having the right kind of fun for them, so we get sent back to BSS. BSS can't handle us criticizing "good" webcomics and posting lovely comics, so we get shipped to BYOB. BYOBers start complaining about how we're not funny. I'm done. gently caress it. We had a good ride. I'm going to go shitpost in the webcomic thread where they actually like things.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

So BSS throws us out we had too much fun mocking webcomics, thread is sent to GBS. GBS throws us out because we weren't having the right kind of fun for them, so we get sent back to BSS. BSS can't handle us criticizing "good" webcomics and posting lovely comics, so we get shipped to BYOB. BYOBers start complaining about how we're not funny. I'm done. gently caress it. We had a good ride. I'm going to go shitpost in the webcomic thread where they actually like things.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Pick posted:

She did that so it could be published, but the publisher said she'd have to stop updating online as well so it didn't have much effect ultimately.
Ah, that'd do it.

Anyways since the people who read Ava's Demon have had a good 24hrs to read the most recent one, how many people here had this in their head during yesterday's update?
http://youtu.be/RLypi9QgT1M?t=4m10s

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

never mind

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 26, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't remember the last time I laughed out loud at xkcd, but today's was pretty great, even if the punchline was nothing more than "Dinosaur Comics, amirite?". (it was probably entirely because of that)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There is no punchline. It is just literally "this is a thing you are familiar with."

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Potsticker posted:

There is no punchline. It is just literally "this is a thing you are familiar with."

For a nerd, there can be nothing more rewarding.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Potsticker posted:

Also true of goon darling goatkcd :colbert:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

these are really great

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also true of goon darling goatkcd :colbert:

No argument there!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
As I mentioned in the newly-BYOBized thread, "Girls With Slingshots" has sparked a truly fascinating (read: batshit crazy) discussion. The comics in question:

Here is said comic's comments section: (which I am posting because you will share in my masochism)

Lisa Parsons posted:

Go Hazel!

Lisa Parsons posted:

I think it was Hazel giving Jameson a much-needed rear end chewing. And, of course, making him think.

Lisa Parsons posted:

Won't someone please think of the collective male butthurt? Please! Men are having to check their privilege and face biological realities and it HUUUUUURTS.

Lisa Parsons posted:

Well, when it comes to racist, homophobic, and misogynistic crap, I think a know a little more than people who live their lives free from those wonderful bigotries.

Lisa Parsons posted:

Wah wah...

And then...

Lisa Parsons posted:

Considering the poo poo I've been through--mother's abusive boyfriend, random guys grabbing my body, men not exactly taking no for an answer, and guys I DID love rejecting me--I'd kinda be crazy not to have at least a bit of resentment toward men.

Lisa Parsons posted:

I'm the only one who's 30, always been single, and sits alone in my apartment every day, when I'm not at my lovely as gently caress job. Everyone else at least has someone to cuddle with, love. At least most people do. At least they have one person who gives a gently caress. I do not.

Remarkable.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 26, 2014

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

scalded schlong posted:

I think there's a time and a place. It's fine to keep this thread for the more civilised discussion, and the other thread for so BSS throws us out we had too much fun mocking webcomics, thread is sent to GBS. GBS throws us out because we weren't having the right kind of fun for them, so we get sent back to BSS. BSS can't handle us criticizing "good" webcomics and posting lovely comics, so we get shipped to BYOB. BYOBers start complaining about how we're not funny. I'm done. gently caress it. We had a good ride. I'm going to go shitpost in the webcomic thread where they actually like things.

I don't think anyone cares if you criticize "good" webcomics but instead are bothered by how any time the mock thread is mentioned here people have to justify the existence of the mock thread until it turns into a dumb argument and shitposting. Ofc when the thread isn't full of dumb arguments and shitposting it slowly dies down into a fancy RSS feed so I don't know which is better.

This is my hypothesis on Something Awful inter-thread politics

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It was a faux empty quote of a dumb post from the bad webcomic thread.

Anyway the bad webcomic thread has moved onto BYOB because it's a more appropriate forum for it overall. This thread can restart or continue as it's been for the last while. Neither thread is really relevant to the other.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ofc when the thread isn't full of dumb arguments and shitposting it slowly dies down into a fancy RSS feed so I don't know which is better.

I prefer the fancy RSS feed. I've found a bunch of really good comics thanks to this thread, so I appreciate that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I prefer the fancy RSS feed. I've found a bunch of really good comics thanks to this thread, so I appreciate that.

That is true. New comics are good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't think anyone cares if you criticize "good" webcomics but instead are bothered by how any time the mock thread is mentioned here people have to justify the existence of the mock thread until it turns into a dumb argument and shitposting. Ofc when the thread isn't full of dumb arguments and shitposting it slowly dies down into a fancy RSS feed so I don't know which is better.

This is my hypothesis on Something Awful inter-thread politics

It's just one of those dumb goon webcomic narratives, like "goons creeped Kate Beaton out so she left".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches

scalded schlong posted:

same

• Locked thread