Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Knyteguy posted:

If you rent out your house like you're thinking of doing, would you appreciate the tenants taking care of the place like it's their own? Oh no $25 to aerate and fertilize a lawn get lost holy crap. I like to get out in the dirt after sitting in an office all day and the money is both paltry and within our moving budget. What do you care whether I work on the lawn or not?
No, I wouldn't expect them to do anything past what's in the goddamn lease. If I wanted my lawn aerated, I'd aerate it myself. You have a baby on the way and you are GIFTING TIME AND MONEY to your landlord for no reason at all. Maybe use that time in the dirt to make some potted plant arrangements for your family so you don't have to spend money on Christmas presents for them this year. Or, I don't know, continue spending fountains of money because it's fun.

Knyteguy posted:

Just because YOU spend money at Goodwill for clothes doesn't mean I have to. It doesn't mean I'm wrong either. Just because YOU find it a nice challenge doesn't mean I do. I can absolutely guarantee you spend money on something I find completely wasteful in turn. Guarantee it.
I don't have a baby on the way. I'm not in debt. You are, and you need to stop spending money on stupid bullshit. You posted this thread for accountability, here it is. Stop spending money on stupid bullshit you don't need to spend money on. It's bad. Don't do it. It's not just $25 you spent, it's $25 you can't spend now on your baby. It's $25 that would go to paying your debt. Your debt, that has an interest rate attached. It's $25 you absolutely 100% didn't need to spend, and you're defending your spending like a child instead of copping to the fact that you did not need to spend it. A thousand of these stupid decisions later, and you'll still be in debt. Stop making bad decisions, and stop justifying them after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

moana posted:

No, I wouldn't expect them to do anything past what's in the goddamn lease. If I wanted my lawn aerated, I'd aerate it myself. You have a baby on the way and you are GIFTING TIME AND MONEY to your landlord for no reason at all. Maybe use that time in the dirt to make some potted plant arrangements for your family so you don't have to spend money on Christmas presents for them this year. Or, I don't know, continue spending fountains of money because it's fun.

I don't have a baby on the way. I'm not in debt. You are, and you need to stop spending money on stupid bullshit. You posted this thread for accountability, here it is. Stop spending money on stupid bullshit you don't need to spend money on. It's bad. Don't do it. It's not just $25 you spent, it's $25 you can't spend now on your baby. It's $25 that would go to paying your debt. Your debt, that has an interest rate attached. It's $25 you absolutely 100% didn't need to spend, and you're defending your spending like a child instead of copping to the fact that you did not need to spend it. A thousand of these stupid decisions later, and you'll still be in debt. Stop making bad decisions, and stop justifying them after the fact.

You're right I am in debt and you're not, and you putting your input the way you did in this post leaves me way more open to input than saying "you're a loving joke". I am open to suggestions like "Hey try Goodwill next time." but I of course won't respond well to insults in the meantime. I mean we've gone as far as washing and reusing our zip lock bags (even sandwich sized) so it's not like I feel I'm above anything here. I don't expect everyone to be nice or whatever but insults will just get me defensive of course. And I'm not saying this to just you. I've faced some really undue harsh criticism in this forum, and that's part of the reason I've neglected the thread lately. Sucks having my life out there so people can take cheap shots, even if I know it shouldn't bother me logically.

Nocheez posted:

My favorite part is where you don't think you're in financial trouble. You're less than broke - you have negative money and a child on the way. That seems like a huge emergency to me.

You can get angry at people who really are trying to point out the ways you are wasteful and act without proper planning, but it's ultimately up to you to make it happen. You posted this thread to get outside opinions. Apparently, lots of people here have ways to help you make progress that you don't want to hear. If that's the case, then just close the thread and quietly walk away. No one will blame you for it.

No I know we're in a lovely place financially. Even if we didn't move and we had the $2,500 from that deposit and the money it cost us to move and the yard tools and the expensive clothes, and even ALL of our bad decisions since June, we'd have what $3,000-$4,000 more than we have now? And ignoring that rental deposit since that's almost a 0% interest savings account if we keep the place nice then we're talking like $2,000 give or take a few hundred. Not a small sum, but not a life changing amount.

I think it started out as me getting angry at posts, but really it's been turning into more apathy which sucks. I feel like even if we pinch $200 in pennies more every month though we're not going to get where we want to be any time soon, and what will the quality of life sacrifice be here? It's not that I'm not open to input (input without insults is nice though), it's that I feel priorities may be off - I think we may be running into an income barrier. It's why I want to focus on getting the business off the ground and not so much the $25 aeration cost. Lots of small purchases turn into big money. I know that, I've seen it first hand countless times. But $100 when you make $1,000 a month is much different than $100 when you make $10,000 a month. Of course there are people making millions who go bankrupt (athletes for example), so budgeting skills and self control are extremely valuable too.

I want to keep the thread going, but I want to be able to free to talk about getting this business off the ground. I feel like my priorities and mindset have changed a bit since reading that "Millionaire Fastlane" book. In a good way. My business has been pulling in money steadily (sitting at $260 in net business profit at the moment, and that's just since I started tracking it a 1-1.5 months ago or so) and I can launch my next one without anything affecting our current budget. Even if we can just replace my wife's yearly income I'd consider that a success.

E grammar and typos

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 25, 2014

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

How much time and effort are you putting into your business in order to get that return?

$260 in 2 months isn't bad if it's 2-3 hours a week. $260 in 2 months is terrible if that's 10-15 hours a week.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Holy poo poo just post a budget, then talk about the budget, then stick to the budget. The problem is you never posted the budget, so everyone is like, WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU SPENDING MONEY ON THIS TIME KNYTEGUY.

Just, post, a budget for december. We'll debate, you'll stick it out then we'll mvoe on. Also post your october and november reconciliations please.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

No I know we're in a lovely place financially. Even if we didn't move and we had the $2,500 from that deposit and the money it cost us to move and the yard tools and the expensive clothes, and even ALL of our bad decisions since June, we'd have what $3,000-$4,000 more than we have now? And ignoring that rental deposit since that's not actually a 0% interest savings account if we keep the place nice then we're talking like $2,000 give or take a few hundred. Not a small sum, but not a life changing amount.

I think it started out as me getting angry at posts, but really it's been turning into more apathy which sucks. I feel like even if we pinch $200 in pennies more every month though we're not going to get where we want to be any time soon, and what will the quality of life sacrifice be here? It's not that I'm not open to input (input without insults is nice though), it's that I feel priorities may be off - I think we may be running into an income barrier. It's why I want to focus on getting the business off the ground and not so much the $25 aeration cost. Lots of small purchases turn into big money. I know that, I've seen it first hand countless times. But $100 when you make $1,000 a month is much different than $100 when you make $10,000 a month. Of course there are people making millions who go bankrupt (athletes for example), so budgeting skills and self control are extremely valuable too of course.

One of the best things I've ever done for my finances is to quit marginalizing amounts like this (actually I would have never poopooed $2500), especially if you're $30k in debt. I mean, come on. It doesn't even sound like you have a firm number on how much the move has set you back, which you should absolutely know to the penny. Not at the end of the month, it should be in a spreadsheet right now.

If you feel like you're not going to get anywhere from pinching every penny then you sure as poo poo aren't going to get anywhere from doing the exact opposite. Being good with money is like weightlifting: results are a product of time and consistency and you don't get anywhere without both.

Out of curiosity do you have a planned budget for December? Have you tracked all of your expenses for November? Do you know exactly how over budget you are in November? I don't follow the thread closely enough to know how well you track these things. Post a budget. Track your expenses.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

You can't live on 400,000 a year if you can't live on 40,000 a year. There have definitely been threads where the problem was "you're doing everything fine but you need a higher income".

This is not one of those threads.

You're pinching pennies in an inefficient way. Is it really more satisfying for you to rewash and reuse sandwich bags rather than just not eat out one extra time per week? You save more money by not eating out.

All the money you spend now is money you can spend later. Sure, there's a lot of little tips you didn't know (the slow cooker thread for cheap meals, goodwill, how to re-sew a button, drying racks), and those are things we try to help you with.

Also I had no idea you had 9,000 saved. That's really good! You should really account for all of those places you have money squirreled away in your budgets -- you mentioned 2600 for the doctor that you've prepaid for? Is that marked somewhere? I only saw what you had in your savings and HSA.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'll get to everyone else's post later since I'm on my phone at the moment.

IllegallySober posted:

How much time and effort are you putting into your business in order to get that return?

$260 in 2 months isn't bad if it's 2-3 hours a week. $260 in 2 months is terrible if that's 10-15 hours a week.

Oh pretty much no time at all. I run a web hosting business that services a single company, and the server practically maintains itself, and I sell microscopes on eBay which requires me submitting an order to my drop ship company and really nothing else. Monthly commitment can probably be measured in the minutes on average. It's all dividends on past work.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

moana posted:

Was it somehow lost on you that the rent is $200 less each month because KG will take care of the lawn?

With $90 for the mower, about that for a cordless trimmer and another $40 on the aerator he spent $220 on lawn care. Yes, rent and lawn care this month is $20 over if the lawn was the landlord's responsibility, but so what? In six days that picture will change drastically because he isn't spending that $200.

Which is really what this is, a reduction of costs and not cash savings like KG says.

Yes, water does cost money, so it isn't a straight $200 spending reduction every month. Washoe County (where I think KG is) charges at most $5.25 per 1000 gallons of water (and that's only if KG's house was to use 41,000 gallons or more per month). Optimal watering of a lawn is one inch of water per week; one hundred square feet of lawn takes 62 gallons of water for one inch depth; his lawn is three hundred square feet; assuming no rain he will use 186 gallons to water the lawn. In a month, that's 744 gallons, or $3.90 cents. Even if he weekly saturated the lawn with two and a half times as much water as it needed, it wouldn't be more than $10.

Over the first three months, he's going to spend $250 at absolute worst to take care of his lawn. Doing that prevents him from having to spend $600 in that same quarter. Please elucidate what about a $350 reduction in spending runs contrary to the goals that KG has set out.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 25, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SiGmA_X posted:

I'm not an English expert AT ALL, you've seen my posts lol, but I'm guessing 'for' is an older saying. Through is what I've heard and use.

Still makes no sense to me... Old English...

Good luck KG. Post a budget for December and move on from this derail. What is done is done all we can do is beat up future you and make sure you save and pay off debt.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah he has to water the lawn even if he's paying the extra 200/month, though, so his only real mistake was not mentioning 3 weeks ago "hey I talked the landlord into a 200/mo rent reduction for maintaining the lawn, so I'm gonna start looking into good ways to do that."

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
So you talked them down from $1100 to $900 or was this the $1300 to $1100 that you mentioned previously? Either way you're "saving" $200/month by doing it yourself, but still spending $300 more than your previous rent. So it's a wash really.

Can you spell out exactly what the $200 a month savings entailed?

Pay for water/garbage/sewer?
Maintain landscape?

Anything else or was that it?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Horking Delight posted:

Yeah he has to water the lawn even if he's paying the extra 200/month, though, so his only real mistake was not mentioning 3 weeks ago "hey I talked the landlord into a 200/mo rent reduction for maintaining the lawn, so I'm gonna start looking into good ways to do that."

Yeah I think if he had waltzed in here and said that 3 weeks ago there would have been a lot of positive feedback/suggestions and people posting craigslist postings and poo poo being like, "yeah totally get this thing, $200 less a month is gonna be worth it."

But instead it was like, "SURPRISE! LAWNS COST MONEY!" and the rent discount is completely lost in how pissed people are that KG basically hid this cost on purpose.

KG: relationships, even forum ones, do better with open communication and honesty. You can't get help if what you put forward is half-truths and surprises after the fact.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for clarifying Antifreeze Head. I'm happy to to see a rough estimate on the cost of watering myself too.

Horking Delight posted:

I did post that some time back, I'm pretty sure. I know I posted about the rent reduction, and I wouldn't think I'd leave out the why.

Bugamol posted:

So you talked them down from $1100 to $900 or was this the $1300 to $1100 that you mentioned previously? Either way you're "saving" $200/month by doing it yourself, but still spending $300 more than your previous rent. So it's a wash really.

Can you spell out exactly what the $200 a month savings entailed?

Pay for water/garbage/sewer?
Maintain landscape?

Anything else or was that it?

Just the grass and a 2-year lease. I talked them down from $1,300 to $1,100.

Calling it a wash is downplaying the fact that we're way more comfortable and happy here too though.

spwrozek posted:

Still makes no sense to me... Old English...

Good luck KG. Post a budget for December and move on from this derail. What is done is done all we can do is beat up future you and make sure you save and pay off debt.

Agreed. December's budget is in the OP. I try to update that every now and then for stuff that will be referenced later. I modified the old budget slightly to account for getting our house ready for Christmas this month which was a little unexpected, the new rent, and not needing a moving saving category any longer.

Here is December's budget (again the same budget we've technically been on with a couple mods):
pre:
Pre-Tax Savings
HSA                1370

Post-Tax/HSA Contribution Income
$4,800

Post Tax Savings
Emergency          1100
House              100
Pregnancy bills    100 * HSA will cover most of the pregnancy
Holiday/giving     150
Baby fund          50
Vet bills          50
Car repairs        45
Car registration   30
Clothing           25
Vanguard           10
---
Total              1660

Costs
Rent               1100
Debt               710
Groceries          300
Pets               150
Utilities          150
Fuel               130
Car insurance      85
Internet           40
Renters insurance  20
Laundry card       20
Phone              19
Netflix            8
Medical            0 * HSA should cover all going forward
---
Total              2830

Discretionary
Her discretionary  150
His discretionary  150
---
Total              300
Total Saved:
pre:
$4,800 Savings
$2,100 HSA account
$2,000 Prepaid delivery fees
And again we're selling our television and violin.

E: had the wrong rent price up. $1000 -> $1100
E2: math :downs:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 25, 2014

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks for clarifying Antifreeze Head. I'm happy to to see a rough estimate on the cost of watering myself too.

I did post that some time back, I'm pretty sure. I know I posted about the rent reduction, and I wouldn't think I'd leave out the why.

Just the grass and a 2-year lease. I talked them down from $1,300 to $1,100.

Calling it a wash is downplaying the fact that we're way more comfortable and happy here too though.

Agreed. December's budget is in the OP. I try to update that every now and then for stuff that will be referenced later. I modified the old budget slightly to account for getting our house ready for Christmas this month which was a little unexpected, the new rent, and not needing a moving saving category any longer.

Here is December's budget (again the same budget we've technically been on with a couple mods):
pre:
Income (very conservative)
$4,700

Pre-Tax Pre-Paycheck Savings
HSA                1370

Post Tax Savings
Emergency          1100
House              100
Pregnancy bills    100 * HSA will cover most of the pregnancy
Holiday/giving     150
Baby fund          50
Vet bills          50
Car repairs        45
Car registration   30
Clothing           25
Vanguard           10
---
Total              1660

Costs
Rent               1100
Debt               710
Groceries          300
Pets               150
Utilities          150
Fuel               130
Car insurance      85
Internet           40
Renters insurance  20
Laundry card       20
Phone              19
Netflix            8
Medical            0 * HSA should cover all going forward
---
Total              2830

Discretionary
Her discretionary  150
His discretionary  150
---
Total              300
Total Saved:
pre:
$4,800 Savings
$2,100 HSA account
$2,000 Prepaid delivery fees
And again we're selling our television and violin.

E: had the wrong rent price up. $1000 -> $1100

How is it your income is 4700, but your total bills & savings is 6160?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Antifreeze Head posted:

Yes, rent and lawn care this month is $20 over if the lawn was the landlord's responsibility, but so what? In six days that picture will change drastically because he isn't spending that $200.
The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. He's gifting money to his landlord while he still has debt and a child on the way. He should be minimizing expenses whenever possible. Pretending that saving money in one place means you get to waste money somewhere else is a poverty mindset, and I'd like him to stop doing that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

How is it your income is 4700, but your total bills & savings is 6160?

My math was technically off by $90. I decided that instead of underestimating income just to be real and post our actual income, taking care of a $90 discrepancy. I think the budget is around $10 less than income now.

I don't count the pretax savings into the budget because I don't want to bother with tax math from my wife's true income. So we contribute that $1,370 to the HSA and then the remainder of her check after taxes and that contribution is what we use to budget (~$500/mo on a 2 paycheck month).

Horking I thought we were a payment ahead with the doctor. Prepaid delivery savings is $2,600 it's actually $2,000 (last payment next month).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

moana posted:

The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. He's gifting money to his landlord while he still has debt and a child on the way. He should be minimizing expenses whenever possible. Pretending that saving money in one place means you get to waste money somewhere else is a poverty mindset, and I'd like him to stop doing that.

What? He's not gifting money to his landlord. He negotiated to take care of the lawn for $200/mo. That's being smart with money.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Where did your october budget/spending go, and why isn't your spending in excel. We all liked/got used to excel :smith:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

moana posted:

Are you off your meds? Your last 3-4 posts in this thread have been angry, nagging shoutdowns (with incorrect details to boot) and I doubt it's really helping him.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Lol, no, it's just irritating to see him defending bad decisions in the midst of good ones. I wish he'd just learn from his mistakes, but he can't learn if he won't even admit they're mistakes. What details am I getting wrong? Stuff like this:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What? He's not gifting money to his landlord. He negotiated to take care of the lawn for $200/mo. That's being smart with money.

If his landlord doesn't require him to aerate the lawn and he's buying an aerator, it's an unnecessary expense. It's a gift to the landlord. Which, great if he had the money for that nicety, but he doesn't. Shoving it in the middle of "well I'm saving $200 by doing lawn stuff!" is a way of obscuring the unnecessary expense.

edit: vv seriously? he doesn't own a lawn. Why are you defending this?

moana fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 26, 2014

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

moana posted:

If his landlord doesn't require him to aerate the lawn and he's buying an aerator, it's an unnecessary expense. It's a gift to the landlord.
:raise: "gift" ? He owns the silly thing.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Did the childcare question ever get finalized? You say your income will go way up when your wife stops contributing so much to the HSA, but that means there will be a baby and she won't be working for a while and when she does, childcare. What's going on there?

Also, getting the house ready for Christmas = unnecessary expense. I know it's fun but this is a bad time.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

moana posted:

Lol, no, it's just irritating to see him defending bad decisions in the midst of good ones. I wish he'd just learn from his mistakes, but he can't learn if he won't even admit they're mistakes. What details am I getting wrong? Stuff like this:

If his landlord doesn't require him to aerate the lawn and he's buying an aerator, it's an unnecessary expense. It's a gift to the landlord. Which, great if he had the money for that nicety, but he doesn't. Shoving it in the middle of "well I'm saving $200 by doing lawn stuff!" is a way of obscuring the unnecessary expense.

The aerator is probably unnecessary. The 200/month for lawncare is a good deal (Knyteguy, you mentioned you talked the rent down but didn't mention it was by offering lawn care, IIRC). You didn't promise the best lawn ever, right? You just promised to keep it cut/watered?

Access to a lawnmower and a rake is necessary, assuming he sticks to the reduced rent deal (he should). Getting it on craigslist after 3 weeks of searching would probably get you a good deal, but you hid that from the thread so no one understood you did that, so people flipped out.

I don't know if the trimmers and whatever are also necessary and in your place, I probably would have asked the thread first. Same with lawn fertilizer or whatever the gently caress.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Where did your october budget/spending go, and why isn't your spending in excel. We all liked/got used to excel :smith:

Yea sorry I liked it too but we're using YNAB now, since my wife was having trouble entering expenses with the spreadsheet. Also yes I appreciate the offer Bugamol but probably just for ease of use and "happy wife, happy life" we'll stick with YNAB right now. I'd like to move over the spreadsheet again eventually though. Thanks though Bugamol!

Oh yea I forgot to mention a new expense: my wife's phone bill is now $45/mo instead of ~$20. Her old phone service was crazy unreliable, so we switched. Half the time anyone tried to call her (like her boss for example) her phone wouldn't ring, and it started to become a problem.

RheaConfused posted:

Did the childcare question ever get finalized? You say your income will go way up when your wife stops contributing so much to the HSA, but that means there will be a baby and she won't be working for a while and when she does, childcare. What's going on there?

Also, getting the house ready for Christmas = unnecessary expense. I know it's fun but this is a bad time.

Childcare: my sister is going to watch our baby. 100% certain, and for at least a year since she's in school full time. Expense will be < $500/mo, but she isn't sure yet. Her initial quote was $300/mo I think. My wife's pay while she's out for the baby will be I think 80%, or whatever short term permanent disability is or whatever.

Yea... I know Christmas is an unnecessary expense, but my wife's family is coming down and her whole family is huge on Christmas. I grew up Jehova's Witness (not anymore) so I don't feel much attachment to holidays myself. We'll keep it as frugal as possible though. We're going to buy some folding tables for example for our "dining room table" and just drape a cheap tablecloth over it. All of that should be taken care of in the Holiday/Giving savings category.

Anyway thanks again everyone today. I know a lot of words were said in frustration, but at least I feel no harm no foul. I thought about what Bugamol and Nocheez said and I'm going to continue the thread, but I'll do my best to be 100% transparent again. I think it'll go easier that way. However I would like the insults to stop please; I don't think that's asking too much.

Horking Delight posted:

The aerator is probably unnecessary. The 200/month for lawncare is a good deal (Knyteguy, you mentioned you talked the rent down but didn't mention it was by offering lawn care, IIRC). You didn't promise the best lawn ever, right? You just promised to keep it cut/watered?

Access to a lawnmower and a rake is necessary, assuming he sticks to the reduced rent deal (he should). Getting it on craigslist after 3 weeks of searching would probably get you a good deal, but you hid that from the thread so no one understood you did that, so people flipped out.

I don't know if the trimmers and whatever are also necessary and in your place, I probably would have asked the thread first. Same with lawn fertilizer or whatever the gently caress.

A trimmer was definitely necessary - the front lawn borders some flower bed area, and it would've looked terrible. Lawn food was cheap. Rake we got for $5 on sale.

Anyway cooking some hamburgers (gently caress yes I can grill again baby); gotta run.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 26, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

Childcare: my sister is going to watch our baby. 100% certain, and for at least a year since she's in school full time. Expense will be < $500/mo, but she isn't sure yet. Her initial quote was $300/mo I think. My wife's pay while she's out for the baby will be I think 80%, or whatever short term permanent disability is or whatever.

What's going to happen on the days when you're sister's out of town on a holiday? Or gets sick? etc etc

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Yea... I know Christmas is an unnecessary expense, but my wife's family is coming down and her whole family is huge on Christmas. I grew up Jehova's Witness (not anymore) so I don't feel much attachment to holidays myself. We'll keep it as frugal as possible though. We're going to buy some folding tables for example for our "dining room table" and just drape a cheap tablecloth over it. All of that should be taken care of in the Holiday/Giving savings category.

Is this why you said Christmas was an "unexpected expense"? Because that was the comment that worried me the most out of everything you've said today. But even if they just dropped their visit on you, you probably should have been able to see this one coming. I mean, your wife is pregnant, I'm sure they want to see her, and as you just said, they're huge on Christmas.

I seriously feel like you should have a notepad or a spreadsheet or something of stuff that has taken you by surprise this year, that you might forget about next year. (edit: Actually, you can add notes to categories in YNAB - maybe do that!) Not even just financial stuff, it could be poo poo like "time for doctor appointment" and "car needs oil change" as well as "wife's parents likely to visit again for Christmas." Call this another "plan for the worst case scenario" thing. Like, I would seriously lay it out like this:

November
Need to winterize lawn

December
Christmas presents
In-laws likely to visit

January
Clean out house and donate excess stuff to charity

February
Baby due
In-laws likely to visit - food?

March
Get taxes done

etc. and whenever you check on your budget, you can check through the notes too and see what's likely to come up. When you have a new surprise, add it, even if you feel like it probably won't come up again. Who knows, you might get unlucky.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I still preferred YNAB, though we still haven't seen projected/actual for october or november....

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

FYI, it's still a bit early but I know there used to be a cheap Christmas gifts thread around the forums somewhere -- this had a lot of handmade arts/crafts and food/candy gifts, and I know people reported really good results handing those out as gifts because they're a lot more thoughtful than the standard "pick something dumb up from the store that no one's going to actually use six months later" stuff. There might be one this year.

One year I made peppermint bark and candied, chocolate-dipped orange peels for a party and it was great. :3

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Scope out craigslist for cheap/ugly dining room table options rather than buying new card tables. We found a $10 round table with a heavy center leg- it cleans up decent with a tablecloth.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

Horking Delight posted:

FYI, it's still a bit early but I know there used to be a cheap Christmas gifts thread around the forums somewhere -- this had a lot of handmade arts/crafts and food/candy gifts, and I know people reported really good results handing those out as gifts because they're a lot more thoughtful than the standard "pick something dumb up from the store that no one's going to actually use six months later" stuff. There might be one this year.

One year I made peppermint bark and candied, chocolate-dipped orange peels for a party and it was great. :3

Do you know how I could find that thread? I have archives, but I suck at using search.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

moana posted:

Sorry KG, moana says you are just a serf so you should take back all the tools and pay the $200 every month.

Wait, what's that KG, you take pride in lawn care, like it was a hobby or something?

moana posted:

And yes, Bugamol, if I had less than 10k in savings and a child on the way, I would be getting rid of every single hobby that costs me money, and adopting hobbies that pay me money. No question about it.

Oh...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Antifreeze, I really really want KG to get out of debt. I don't care if his lawn is the best on the block. I don't care if he has to put his hobbies on hold. I want his child to have a financially stable home. I don't know what you want, but that's what I care about and that's why I'm here.

Honestly KG, this is a great way to get to know your neighbors - ask them to borrow their lawn equipment in exchange for a free mow or whatever. Explain that you're trying to keep costs down because you have a kid on the way and offer to do any odd jobs or help out if they need it. Instant relationship with your neighbors, plus you get people on your side. If I had a neighbor I knew was struggling financially and about to have a kid, I'd help them out in any way I could.

It's just that there are so many better options than throwing money at a solution. Options that grow relationships and build skills instead of wasting money. I want to see KG looking at those options.

Start planning ahead for Christmas, because in the next few months it's going to be SO EASY to spend money. There will be spending traps everywhere, and you need to watch out for them and avoid them. Ask in here for help before you decide you need something else that costs money, please.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

moana posted:

Antifreeze, I really really want KG to get out of debt. I don't care if his lawn is the best on the block. I don't care if he has to put his hobbies on hold. I want his child to have a financially stable home. I don't know what you want, but that's what I care about and that's why I'm here.

moana posted:

You're a loving joke.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So much piss and vinegar in the Knyteguy thread. He's just this guy, you know?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

slap me silly posted:

So much piss and vinegar in the Knyteguy thread. He's just this guy, you know?

It's pretty funny that there's more of that than in the Slow Motion thread. Hey Knyte at least this is a good sign that people.... care about you?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

People have given up on SlowMo but they're really rooting for Knyteguy.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Horking Delight posted:

People have given up on SlowMo but they're really rooting for Knyteguy.

This. Knyte has hope, Slow Motion is lost.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Tough love is the best love <3

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Well, shoot thanks guys :). I didn't realize everyone felt that way. I guess I'd better keep stuff together then and stick to this budget; I don't want to let everyone down. I won't let everyone down. :hfive: Thanks for the extra motivation.

Lenk: Alright great idea I'll start scouring. I can use use it to double as a poker and dominoes table as well if I can find a round one.

Hawkgirl: OK I added some category notes; organization has always been a flaw of mine, so hopefully that'll help me plan ahead some.

Horking: Luckily for gifts this year we're doing white elephant for all of the adults... and the nieces and nephews are few enough and young enough that they're not very picky yet and are pretty much content with anything colorful and noisy. Homemade candy sounds pretty kickass though maybe we'll do that for the white elephant, or even just as a little extra for everyone.

I've got some deadlines to meet today, so I don't have time to post data from October and November at this time. However I'll do my best to remember to get to that this weekend. Gonna try to stay off the internet as much as possible though since my wife actually has this weekend off, which doesn't happen often (plus she has to work tomorrow and on Black Friday). Retail eh? :downsgun:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

Well, shoot thanks guys :). I didn't realize everyone felt that way. I guess I'd better keep stuff together then and stick to this budget; I don't want to let everyone down. I won't let everyone down. :hfive: Thanks for the extra motivation.

Other than the regular threads I read your one and SloMo's one. Slo Mo's thread is in the shitter. So keep remembering that we're all here because there's still some hope for you.

• Locked thread