Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

ahahahahahaha its the arms all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
That's s pretty neat way of dealing with things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
GODDAMNIT JOHN STOP CHANGING THE COMIC

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Have a hidden link after you check out the update

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/oilretcon.html it was hiding in the dialoglog.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Nice, right when i'm re-reading the comic.

Although to be fair, unlike the arms, i would never notice this.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Unlike his arm, these retcons aren't glowy. So they don't stand out as much, but still!

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
God dammit, Hussed again!

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Are there any pages that have an arm AND some oil?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So John is basically God now, I wonder how he's going to gently caress this one up.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I remember when andrew first did a sort of "retcon" where he had john link rose some images, then later in the story she links them back to him and they had graffiti on the walls, but they were still different images that seemed to have the same url by some magics only andrew knew.

point being, at the time he said he didn't want to go back and change panels because he wanted homestuck to still be enjoyed by new readers in a linear fashion; but it seems clear he threw that idea to the side when he did the arm thing.

I guess I was disappointed in that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So John is basically God now, I wonder how he's going to gently caress this one up.

John isn't God. He's the author. Now that Andrew Hussie is dead, John and Caliborn are vying for narrative supremacy. It's been happening for all of Act 6 Act 6 and is pretty much the only conflict where anything's at stake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's kind of a weak joke because it only works once and only works for the people who are reading it as it comes out. That said, in my opinion it's not entirely a bad thing because new readers have a chance of noticing the recurring stuff (arms, and now oil) and see it as a clever "ah ha" moment when they find out where the stuff came from.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bongo Bill posted:

John isn't God. He's the author. Now that Andrew Hussie is dead, John and Caliborn are vying for narrative supremacy. It's been happening for all of Act 6 Act 6 and is pretty much the only conflict where anything's at stake.

Whatever he is I still feel like he's going to gently caress it up somehow.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

NextTime000 posted:

I remember when andrew first did a sort of "retcon" where he had john link rose some images, then later in the story she links them back to him and they had graffiti on the walls, but they were still different images that seemed to have the same url by some magics only andrew knew.

The magics are 0s and Os. The URL Rose used was http://tinyurl.com/0413weirdo and then the second one was http://tinyurl.com/O413weirdo
The same goes for the image it links to. 08 vs 8.

It's because the writing is a plot point that would be spoiled way in advance if we could see the writing from the start, and the oil and arms are just "huh, weird."

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The oil is less noticeable than the arms on its own but there's also all the oil that had been all over John's house in the early parts of the story because of the imps which may make the oil elsewhere seem even less conspicuous.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Cue a flash with pipeorgankind!

http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/pipeorgankind

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Davinci posted:

Are there any pages that have an arm AND some oil?

Coincidentally, this was the only one I clicked on in the retcon list.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

I can't really imagine any plot-relevant animation that would sync up with it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

havenwaters posted:

Have a hidden link after you check out the update

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/oilretcon.html it was hiding in the dialoglog.

I've never noticed that HIC appears on page 1979 before now.

Does Huss have forsight or what??

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Gosh, I really hope so. Homestuck needs more Showtime.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Hiveminded posted:

I can't really imagine any plot-relevant animation that would sync up with it.

It'll probably just be John standing at the organ playing on it like on this page

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

WAR FOOT posted:

I don't see her...where is she, in the commercial?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Frionnel posted:

Nice, right when i'm re-reading the comic.

Although to be fair, unlike the arms, i would never notice this.
Yes you would:
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004079

WAR FOOT posted:

:aaaaa:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

glowing-fish posted:

I don't see her...where is she, in the commercial?

No, HIC, not HIC. Look closely at the commercial.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

GeneX posted:

No, HIC, not HIC. Look closely at the commercial.

OHHH! I get it!

Although it is a good trivia question to ask people: "What is the first troll mentioned in Homestuck", because the answer is HIC, but that probably won't be the answer that comes to mind.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
John Egbert, Captain Planet villain.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i was reading a part over and found definite proof that Jade's death was justifiably just. remember this??

jade is the worst

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Mayor is a boring memecharacter, truth hurts.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I dont get it. John used his power to eradicate every last drop of oil, and for some reason the comic is now covered in oil???

Is the implication that he teleported the oil away from himself and it got dumped over the rest of the comic as a result?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

He used his retcon powers to disperse the oil amongst the comic rather than drown in it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rooreelooo posted:

I dont get it. John used his power to eradicate every last drop of oil, and for some reason the comic is now covered in oil???

Is the implication that he teleported the oil away from himself and it got dumped over the rest of the comic as a result?

Yes. John didn't make the oil disappear, he just moved it around.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's also explicitly referred to as "leaving a little mark for anyone who might notice, signifying his final mastery over his confining reality"

now, who have we heard that sort of talk about before

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Rooreelooo posted:

I think the implication is that John cannot unmake or destroy or whatever. He can only "change".

Probably to establish that "No, he can't just wink Lord English out of existence, only send him halfway across the universe. At which point he'll promptly gently caress Paradox Space until he gets back there."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The first time they did it with the arm, it was a bit of a joke/oooh-ahh let's admire Hussie's clever trick moment, but I think this might be the beginning of John turning his power on the comic itself being an actual plot thing that happens. He'll probably start doing more creative things with greater knock-on consequences once he's got his grip on it.

I'm waiting for the time when John does something to change the past that actually changes previous sequences in the comic and forces us to go hunting for the changes beyond a purely superficial "oh there's something new in a panel" way. When he changed Jade and Dave's conversation that was shown linearly through the comic rather than changing the sequence in the archive, but future changes that "stick" and aren't undone again by John could be actual archive parts of the comic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hope John manages to undo Homestuck entirely somehow and the comic is removed from the website. It will be Hussie's avant garde middle finger toward the readers until the game doesn't come out at which point a much bigger middle finger will appear.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

John will retcon an [I] before any page featuring Caliborn, making him largely a distraction, nothing more.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

Mayor is a boring memecharacter, truth hurts.

Mayor is a cute but unimportant memecharacter. Please remember, this important distinction

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Memecharacters aren't necessarily bad either.

example: The Mayor

Sawbuck is being weirdly cute in the paradoxspace comic.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
By the way i hope the next big retcon will be John retconning the entirety of Homestuck out of existence, and replacing it entirely with And It Don't Stop 2 and some more racist comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Alternatively, Whistles, Book 2.