Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the torrent of vanpocalypse cartoons over the weekend/on Monday. :unsmigghh: :getin:

I don't know why a politician would ever want to be on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm not British but it seems like the Territorial Army is roughly analogous to the US Army Reserve. But it's more laughable somehow. Is this accurate?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Until recently they weren't liable to ever see combat, it was just dudes who liked the army and had nothing to do on the weekend. Now they're relied upon to bulk out the numbers after funding cuts to the regular army though, so I guess it'll be lass laughable.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The reason it was called "Territorial Army" is that originally (in the days of Empire) the idea was that they'd do all the boring garrison duty and guard the country to make sure nobody stole it, while the regulars went off to fight in whatever foreign war required serious enough intervention to need lots of them. Of course, "whatever foreign war" ended up being the First World War, and the Territorials ended up dying in France in 1915...

(Since 1967 they've been slowly moving towards the idea of making them actual reservists, and since the 90s it's been explicitly evolving towards being an equivalent of the National Guard.)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Prince Charles – Prince Charles is ready to reshape the monarch's role when he becomes king and make "heartfelt interventions" in national life in contrast to the Queen's taciturn discretion on public affairs, his allies have said"

Telegraph:

Rochester: Farage looks to more UKIP gains after success; After Bisto.

Independent:

After Van Dyck.

Times:

Express:

Tower of London poppies 'targeted by thieves'

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

No, no, not 'ahh', 'ARGH' :stonk:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Behead those who insult Islam Arrr Boys

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well of course. Hanging's too good for them.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Ukip's victory in the Rochester and Strood byelection – Prime minister says Conservatives are determined to regain seat from Ukip in 2015, while Emily Thornberry resigns from shadow cabinet over tweet" Also Man’s headaches due to tapeworm living in his brain for four years :stonk:

Telegraph:

Labour's Emily Thornberry quits over 'snobby' tweet

Independent:

After Millais.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hm, Cloud Potato's put up the day's cartoons. Let's see, Ukip Ukip Ukip Uki JESUS CHRIST

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is Stephen Collins drawing rage comics now?

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Guavanaut posted:

Is Stephen Collins drawing rage comics now?

Is literally the joke he's getting at.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I get what he's getting at, but new Morph looks too close to the 'me gusta' meme thing for coincidence.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

I get what he's getting at, but new Morph looks too close to the 'me gusta' meme thing for coincidence.

He also looks like Morph with a load of unnecessary realistic poo poo piled on. It's the same basic 'joke' in each image - a really simple face (in the case of Me Gusta, a smiley emoji) given extraneous detail for nauseating effect. Basically what Some dumb idiot said.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Nigel Farage can play only one tune - Chris Riddell on Ukip's one-note policy"

Sunday Telegraph:

:siren: POLITICAL CARTOONIST OF THE YEAR 2014 :siren:
Click here to vote!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Voted for the Peter Brookes airplane one but was tempted to vote Thomas just to piss people off. He won one of these things before, right?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I voted for the Morten Morland one, as it was my favourite out of the ones cited there.

Paul Thomas being on there though, jesus :suicide:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Paul Thomas one is a perfect AGC though.

UKIP have made their garden look like poo poo because of paranoia and pettiness.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Theresa May – Theresa May's appearance on Sunday's episode of Desert Island Discs proved that getting a glimpse behind her politician's facade is no easy feat"

Telegraph:

Gordon Brown 'to stand down' as MP at general election

Independent:

Immigration target unlikely to be met, says Theresa May

Times:

Internet data plan back on political agenda

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ah, Far Cry 4 was released earlier that week. How topical.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on counter-terrorism policy – The home secretary confirmed that the new counter-terror law would include powers to exclude from the UK British citizens suspected of involvement in terrorism-related activity abroad"

Telegraph:

Formula 1: Lewis Hamilton wins World Championship in Abu Dhabi

Independent:

Express:

Ukip is now MORE popular than LABOUR: Nigel Farage gets polls boost as Ukip surges ahead

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe

A lot of cartoonists would just not draw the genitals of a Farageosaurus, but Scarfe's a pro at this so he censored them.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Nice Scarfe. It's not what you show, but what you suggest...

Guardian:

"First Dog on the Moon on Ferguson – The police officer who shot dead an unarmed black 18-year-old in Ferguson, Missouri, leading to weeks of unrest, will not face state criminal charges, it was announced on Monday"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Private school business rate relief warning from Labour After Ronald Searle. (can't find a source, apologies. :smithcloud:)

Yesterday's Times:

Wizard of Oz lion costume sells for $3m

Times:

Express:

Pope Francis complains of 'haggard' Europe in Strasbourg

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What is the Times one about?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Cliff Racer posted:

What is the Times one about?

Same as the Indy, I thought. Tristam Hunt and posh schools.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I really, really like this cartoonist. That's something I don't get to say often enough.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
Shadow Education Secretary Tristram Hunt, a Labour MP who attacked private schools in their latest policy announcement (and has sneered at Cameron for his Eton links in the past), is himself an alumnus of University College School, a member of the Eton Group of independent schools. It's naturally led to accusations of hypocrisy and pulling up the ladder behind him. See also Diane Abbott, another Labour MP who piously chastised others for sending their children to private schools before doing the same for her own.

UCS has also rejected his criticisms, so I suppose that Hunt's old school tie is due for the scissors.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 26, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

I really, really like this cartoonist. That's something I don't get to say often enough.

He might have rightthink but as a cartoonist he's poo poo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Most First Dog on the Moon strips would work fine as just text, and they would be good text, except I imagine he's made the calculation that fewer people would read that because there's fewer pretty pictures to look at. And I don't think many newspapers publish political humour columns.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The faces do give it something, at least.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A simple, scribbly style isn't inherently bad - the writing and visuals are both quite plain and whimsical, so they complement each other well. Compare that to Thomas, who draws corpse-eyed midgets that don't inform whatever half-baked message he's going for because he's absolutely poo poo in every way.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Why does he always draw Miliband like some kind of pro-wrestling brick shithouse?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Zephro posted:

Why does he always draw Miliband like some kind of pro-wrestling brick shithouse?

Because he can't draw for poo poo.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

kapparomeo posted:

Shadow Education Secretary Tristram Hunt, a Labour MP who attacked private schools in their latest policy announcement (and has sneered at Cameron for his Eton links in the past), is himself an alumnus of University College School, a member of the Eton Group of independent schools. It's naturally led to accusations of hypocrisy and pulling up the ladder behind him.

Naturally? I don't think pulling up the ladder would be an accurate metaphor in this case. It's more like climbing up the fenced off solid gold ladder and then selling it to get a bunch of regular ladders everyone can use. Not very snappy, I know.

Cloud Potato posted:

:siren: POLITICAL CARTOONIST OF THE YEAR 2014 :siren:
Click here to vote!

What's the Bell one about?

It's odd, I don't much like any of the ones there from my usual favourites. Brookes often annoys me but I think his might be the best there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Francois Hollande having a "protected" private life in which he was having a rather public affair.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
"Interestingly" I rather liked Blue Lou's contribution too. I would have thought the Morning Star would be full of crap cartoons.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I used to post them but they stopped putting them up on their website, or at least stopped putting them where I can find them. It used to be a lot of Leon Kuhn's weird photoshops of a skull wearing an Obama mask, or a policeman with a dog's snout, and the occasional Rowson which was was too angry for the Graun. Now Kuhn's dead and their website's different, but I may have to subscribe to Blue's blog

quote:

Her cartoons have been described as 'Intelligent' by Steve Bell of the Guardian and and has been called a bitch by both Steve Bell and Dave Brown of the independent
She was told to go and draw 'nice things instead' by Simon Beasley the renowned 2000AD cartoonist and advised by a very famous and middle aged cartoonist form South Africa to give up because, 'women can't draw political cartoons as they don't have the killer instinct' and besides 'the school run would get in the way'.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shameful lack of a ring there.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Startled potato facing a sea of angry beards is a wonderful caption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Tony Blair – Save the Children faces a backlash from staff after it presented Tony Blair with a 'global legacy award' – despite privately acknowledging that he is a controversial and divisive figure"

Telegraph:

Facebook hosted Lee Rigby death chat ahead of soldier's murder

Independent:

Times:

Theresa May's Desert Island Vogue

Express:

Dogs listen to words, say University of Sussex researchers

• Locked thread