Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think the idea was supposed to be that the Destiny was so poorly built that the cannons in the hands are clogged, so instead of a beam it can just sort of glows with energy instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I thought it was because any actual damage done to the Build Burning was via kinetic force (cross counter and double fistpunch where Sekai's own momentum actually increases the force he's hit with) and a Palma Fiocina beam from a snapbuild into a world-class machine is the machine calculating damage based on stat differences and coming out with a 'sorry, bud.'

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 20, 2014

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I thought it was because any actual damage done to the Build Burning was via kinetic force (cross counter and double fistpunch where Sekai's own momentum actually increases the force he's hit with) and a Palam Fiocina beam from a snapbuild into a world-class machine is the machine calculating damage based on stat differences and coming out with a 'sorry, bud.'

I was also hoping for the Build Burning's head to mostly not be there, but the "sorry, bud" thing makes sense, too. I kept forgetting during the fight that the Destiny was just a snap build.

I REALLY hope the damage to the Try suits carries over. There were so many lingering shots of it that it would really be a shame for them to be meaningless next ep.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Suzaku posted:

I was also hoping for the Build Burning's head to mostly not be there, but the "sorry, bud" thing makes sense, too. I kept forgetting during the fight that the Destiny was just a snap build.

I REALLY hope the damage to the Try suits carries over. There were so many lingering shots of it that it would really be a shame for them to be meaningless next ep.

My bet is that during a JIGEN HAOH RYUU move his damaged arm gives out on him or something, which then leads to Yuuma going "Didn't you repair your gunpla!?" and Sekai going "Repair? :downs:" and leads into both an opportunity for Yuuma or Fumina to actually win a fight and an opportunity for the Build Burning to actually need modification.

I'm actually not a big fan of the Build Burning as a concept, as amazing as it exploding out of a Dom was. It felt a little more authentic when Sei was frantically cobbling together his masterpiece for Reiji to pilot because it was authentically his; having a god-tier world class gunpla fall out of thin air into your hands just makes it feel like Sekai's coasting on borrowed power instead of his own.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
It has precedent too. Remember when Jerid and Kakricon fought Reiji and Sei in their customized Marasai with the custom mega launcher? It only melted some of surface of the Build Strike's shield because Sei had built the hell out of it. And then their beam rifle managed to easily overcome the mega launcher on the return shot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So am I alone in this, or does anyone else act on a strong desire to rewatch the best parts of season 1 every Wednesday? You're getting there, Try, but you've got a ways to go before you hit season 1's highlights. Keep on doing your namesake, though.

I miss you, Ricardo Fellini :(.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well the expo's started. The two big surprises were the Hi Nu Gundam Vrabe and Wing Zero Fire from the sidestories. Nothing new from BF Try as of yet except

a better look at the Gundam Amazing Red Warrior, our mysterious title screen robot. It's... kind of dull, actually. Hopefully that's for easier animation.

G-Reco got a lot of stuff announced though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So who's going to be using that suit? The new G-Masters dude? Lady?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So who's going to be using that suit? The new G-Masters dude? Lady?

Check the name. It's either going to be Tatsuya or Lady's suit.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

Well the expo's started. The two big surprises were the Hi Nu Gundam Vrabe and Wing Zero Fire from the sidestories. Nothing new from BF Try as of yet except

a better look at the Gundam Amazing Red Warrior, our mysterious title screen robot. It's... kind of dull, actually. Hopefully that's for easier animation.

well, I guess it's the best red warrior kit i'm getting

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

How much longer to upgrade reveals?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Also the expo showed off some other previously unrevealed winning gimmicks. The chainsaw shield can switch position and become a primary weapon. Also its crest can be loaded into its machine gun, dont know if its just a power boost or if it gets launched like an arrow.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

Sharkopath posted:

Every true amphibious mobile suit fan knows their close range and beam based loadouts mean they are just better at guerrilla hit and run style combat on land, instead of being useless.

Do not underestimate the crushing claws!

The Hygogg stomps the poo poo out of all those feddy suits on land at the beginning of War in a pocket. You'd think team free'd at least have given it a go. I feel like you still responded to this episode more positively then I thought you would upon seeing that first scene, Sharkopath.

Chewbacca fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 20, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I swear to god if we get through a whole 2nd season of this without the Turn A-mazing Im gonna lose it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

How much longer to upgrade reveals?

Considering it's only one season, well, this should have been the time. Last year revealed SBS, which proceeded to show up for real on episode 10.

I think the next big expo is Anime Japan 2015, which is 3/21-22. The show should be over by then, which would imply that either there aren't going to be any upgrades (which would be nice, I guess, since none of the crew seems to have really worked out the kinks of their kits yet) or it'll happen pretty late.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sharkopath posted:

Every true amphibious mobile suit fan knows their close range and beam based loadouts mean they are just better at guerrilla hit and run style combat on land, instead of being useless.

Do not underestimate the crushing claws!

You're right, actually. I think in this case it wasn't a matter of the suits being the problem, it was the pilots. Since in addition to being a Gunpla Battle team, they're also their school's swim team, I'm going to wager that the pilots themselves don't actually know how to fight with their MS on land.

They're the poster children for crippling overspecialization. Fighting underwater? They're unstoppable. Fighting anywhere else? They're so boned that they'd rather blow themselves up than suffer the indignity of losing such a one-sided fight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

I swear to god if we get through a whole 2nd season of this without the Turn A-mazing Im gonna lose it.

∀mazing Gundam?

Now I want one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This just occurred to me, but how have none of the meijin gunpla had little custom meijin glasses yet?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Chewbacca posted:

The Hygogg stomps the poo poo out of all those feddy suits on land at the beginning of War in a pocket. You'd think team free'd at least have given it a go. I feel like you still responded to this episode more positively then I thought you would upon seeing that first scene, Sharkopath.

They never even used the hygogg or kapool past the intro scene, they don't deserve respect or admiration!!

It was a funny bit that I liked a lot. Even though I don't think this show is as good as Greco or season one of build fighters, that doesn't make it anywhere near bad.

This intro Simon fight was really well done and the main one this episode was the most daring so far, Id say.

They still haven't gotten interesting team fighting down but the show is picking up it's pacing and slowly introducing more interesting characters as it goes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I had no problems with the suicide ringouts as a direct callback to that Destiny episode where the Orb suits kamikazed the Minerva. Literally that entire team was one long Destiny callback. They were called FAITH for Christ's sake.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BlitzBlast posted:

Considering it's only one season, well, this should have been the time. Last year revealed SBS, which proceeded to show up for real on episode 10.

Wait, is it? Wikipedia at least says it's a 2-cours...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

Wait, is it? Wikipedia at least says it's a 2-cours...

1 cour is 1/4 of a year, or half a season. Regular Gundam shows are 4-cours.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Droyer posted:

Even the bad ones.

*glances at Age*

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Droyer posted:

Except Build Fighters S1 and G Reco, of course.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I had no problems with the suicide ringouts as a direct callback to that Destiny episode where the Orb suits kamikazed the Minerva. Literally that entire team was one long Destiny callback. They were called FAITH for Christ's sake.

Also is it just me or were there a lot of Gurren Lagann references in this episode? A guy named Shimon, the drill piercing the heavens pose, Along with who the hell do you think I am and believe in me lines.

Probably just overthinking it, but I really noticed it on the rewatch.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

Also is it just me or were there a lot of Gurren Lagann references in this episode? A guy named Shimon, the drill piercing the heavens pose, Along with who the hell do you think I am and believe in me lines.

I noticed it too. It made me giggle.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

:kamina: I noticed it too :kamina:, if they had the rights to AGE they should have given him the AGE1 with it's spinning beams.

Bring on a homage to Final Fusion!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Caros posted:

From last page:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Shimon's team didn't believe in the me who believes in you hard enough.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthkTi3wtkk

Episode is up! Starts off proving that Sakai is a member of the Shingyo school :allears:.

e- Also someone tell me that gundam is a real thing and not a kitbash of a gundam, dancouga and gaogaigar :swoon:

e2- Oh my god Susumu got to top 16 in the 10th World Championship this has been the best episode yet!

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 26, 2014

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

So that's where the fight budget's gone!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

"Hey guys remember last week when the Build Burning's arm got crippled?"

"Uh... no? "

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
holy poo poo, the stinger. they actually acknowledge that Suga is Sleggar (or possibly "a" Sleggar???)

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e- Also someone tell me that gundam is a real thing and not a kitbash of a gundam, dancouga and gaogaigar :swoon:

It's the Gundam ZZZ.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Pureauthor posted:

"Uh... no? "

it looks like model damage levels go as follows:
  1. Build Fighters 1, all battle damage translates directly to model
  2. Battle damage simulated, models pulled apart at the joints/polycaps from dismemberments but not actually broken, burned, or bruised
  3. Battle damage simulated, models completely intact after the fight

This whole tournament has been at B so far. Sekai's Musha Godmaru is loving toast, though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

"Uh... no? "

Yeah, really disappointed in that but they are moving at break neck speeds to get over the finals here. Sleggar just reminded me that these are qualifiers the proper regionals haven't even started yet.

No way they can fit the burning gundam breaking drama right now without completely gimping team Try prior to the finals. And given Sleggar and the megashiki, I dont think team Try can afford another handicap tacked on them this early.

Plus if this was a drama episode we wouldn't have gotten any of the antics we had in the episode and that would have sucked.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So, judging by the preview the Build Burning is actually going to be burning next episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, really disappointed in that but they are moving at break neck speeds to get over the finals here. Sleggar just reminded me that these are qualifiers the proper regionals haven't even started yet.

No way they can fit the burning gundam breaking drama right now without completely gimping team Try prior to the finals. And given Sleggar and the megashiki, I dont think team Try can afford another handicap tacked on them this early.

Plus if this was a drama episode we wouldn't have gotten any of the antics we had in the episode and that would have sucked.

They'll probably frag all three Team Try-Fighters Gunpla in the final match of the regionals, just so they have to make the mid-season upgrades for the Nationals.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I can never stop laughing my rear end off whenever somebody's gunpla blows up and everyone acts like they died.

Also the Amethyst V Gundam is my favorite design in the show so far.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They'll probably frag all three Team Try-Fighters Gunpla in the final match of the regionals, just so they have to make the mid-season upgrades for the Nationals.

Im guessing this will be the case once they are in the proper regionals. I still believe they'll lose this coming match though.

Im hoping that burning activates its super mode just to get manhandled by sleggar anyways. With the sd fight he could always rationalize it that he was simply not working the gunpla to its strengths but a proper loss against a more skill opponent is sorely needed right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

I can never stop laughing my rear end off whenever somebody's gunpla blows up and everyone acts like they died.

Also the Amethyst V Gundam is my favorite design in the show so far.

Considering there's two other V Gundam HG's coming, I wouldn't be surprised if there's one of that coming as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Considering there's two other V Gundam HG's coming, I wouldn't be surprised if there's one of that coming as well.

Seriously? Neat. I love that show's suit designs. Here's hoping for some Zanscare stuff.

• Locked thread