Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I haven't really read Spider-Man since Erik Larsen was drawing Amazing, but the concept of "Agent Venom" seems really interesting to me. Where should I pick up if I want to see how that character was created, what he's been up to, etc?

Amazing Spider-Man #654.1 is basically the origin issue. Then there's the Venom ongoing by Remender/Tony Moore and then eventually Cullen Bunn and Dec Shalvey. If you want more after all of that he was also in the last series of Thunderbolts (not a great book at start) and then Secret Avengers. He's now in space, because Bendis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Remender issues are the only good comics in that whole lot.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Waterhaul posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #654.1 is basically the origin issue.

I'm an old man that's out of touch and I am flummoxed by the idea of a ".1". What does that mean exactly?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'm an old man that's out of touch and I am flummoxed by the idea of a ".1". What does that mean exactly?
It's a Marvel thing, and they used them as mostly as issues to bring new readers in with a story that was generally standaloneish, but was sometimes written by the ongoing writer, sometimes not. Think of them like regular-sized annuals. The ".1" implies that it takes place after/around the prior issue (so #654, in this particular case). These took on a new form when Marvel introduced .NOW issues (such as Avengers #24.NOW) to again highlight new-reader-friendly issues (YMMV).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 25, 2014

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've recently been reading the DC New 52 comics after a friend tipped me off that they were a good starting point for someone into superheroes that didn't want to wade back through decades of canon and non-canon, and have been seeing a lot of panic over DC potentially retconning the New 52 universe flying around online. I really -only= know about the New 52, but are there any websites out there that show weekly comic releases, or potentially something that could suggest starting points in both DC and Marvel for various comics? It's all a bit overwhelming.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd suggest asking around here.

Weekly releases thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711
My DC one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611363&pagenumber=1 (I really need to update my OP)
Marvel: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627501&pagenumber=1

The thing DC are doing is bringing together old continuity and Elseworlds versions of characters for an event called Convergence which will fill two months early next year while they move offices and halt all of the regular books. I wouldn't worry about that doing much to the status quo afterwards. A couple of old character may hang around at most.
The Anti-Monitor did show up on the last page of the last big crossover event, Forever Evil, and that's stoking rumor because he was originally the big villain in the 1985 event Crisis on Infinite Earths, which was DC's first major line-wide continuity shift.

It's been three years since DC introduced the N52 and Marvel did their Marvel NOW! launch and those new reader friendly initiatives have already gotten just about as complicated as comics have ever been.
Creators have come and gone, completing their runs by now, so while I'd tell ya to to read Scott Snyder's Batman and Jonathan Hickman's Avengers books from the start, I'd say to only hop on Green Arrow at #17 and leave at #34, and just pick up Batgirl from two issues ago for it's fun new soft-reboot. It ain't easy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 26, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Anti-Monitor did show up on the last page of the last big crossover event, Forever Evil, and that's stoking rumor because he was originally the big villain in the 1985 event Crisis on Infinite Earths, which was DC's first major line-wide continuity shift.

Also it will be the 30th anniversary of it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The Remender issues are the only good comics in that whole lot.

Secret Avengers was good, although really Venom was just kinda there, so if you're reading it for Venom appearances then yeah it's pretty unnecessary.

e: Although I guess Remender did write the aforementioned run on Secret Avengers so hey there ya go.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd suggest asking around here.

Weekly releases thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711
My DC one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611363&pagenumber=1 (I really need to update my OP)
Marvel: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627501&pagenumber=1

The thing DC are doing is bringing together old continuity and Elseworlds versions of characters for an event called Convergence which will fill two months early next year while they move offices and halt all of the regular books. I wouldn't worry about that doing much to the status quo afterwards. A couple of old character may hang around at most.

It's been three years since DC introduced the N52 and Marvel did their Marvel NOW! launch and those new reader friendly initiatives have already gotten just about as complicated as comics have ever been.
Creators have come and gone, completing their runs by now, so while I'd tell ya to to read Scott Snyder's Batman and Jonathan Hickman's Avengers books from the start, I'd say to only hop on Green Arrow at #17 and leave at #34, and just pick up Batgirl from two issues ago for it's fun new soft-reboot. It ain't easy.

Okay, cool. I'm really enjoying the New 52 (slowly working my way through them from beginning to the present issues) and was a bit sad at the rumors of them killing the reboot and going back to the established continuity that I'd have to go waaaaay back to understand.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

I've recently been reading the DC New 52 comics after a friend tipped me off that they were a good starting point for someone into superheroes that didn't want to wade back through decades of canon and non-canon, and have been seeing a lot of panic over DC potentially retconning the New 52 universe flying around online. I really -only= know about the New 52, but are there any websites out there that show weekly comic releases, or potentially something that could suggest starting points in both DC and Marvel for various comics? It's all a bit overwhelming.

Oh good! What do you like about the nu52? I'm old, so I hate pretty much the entire line, but it'd be great to see what someone coming into the hobby without the biases of us old timers thinks.

EDIT: the newest issues of Batgirl and Gotham Academy might be fun for you. They have great art and are well written, but aren't really my thing.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 26, 2014

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Verranicus posted:

I just decided to start reading comics myself in September, and I can tell you that this process can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it for yourself. (Personally, I have made it very complicated, but that's just me.)

In my opinion, your best bet is to read about various Marvel/DC series online (Wikipedia has decent lists of everything currently being published) and ask for recommendations online and from friends and at your comic shop until you've hit on a few things you want to jump into. From there, either start at #1 with the first collected trade edition of the series, or pick up the issue that begins the current arc the series is on, whichever you prefer. If you want to jump right in, you can always go back and read from #1 forward if you really like it.

If you're looking to see what is out every week, the links posted above will be good. I use Comixology to create my pull list at my local comic shop, so that is typically what I use to check release dates. You can also get a Previews book from your local shop that will tell you pretty much everything that is coming out over the next two months. For instance, the December Previews book will be available today and it will cover releases for January and February.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Okay, cool. I'm really enjoying the New 52 (slowly working my way through them from beginning to the present issues) and was a bit sad at the rumors of them killing the reboot and going back to the established continuity that I'd have to go waaaaay back to understand.
You don't have to read old comics to understand what's going on unless you're super anal about knowing everything. At worst, you can read some wiki articles of the past couple events and that tends to get you most of the way there, and even ignoring that, if they rebooted/debooted continuity, the new stories would just start there and you'd be fine.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

You way overestimate how much this is important. A good arc can standalone just fine. Will there be reference drops and occasional callbacks to important things that happened at other times? Sure, but that's just part of the fun. If you're looking for storylines about characters/universes/whatever that you're interested in, but are afraid to dive into the deep end, just ask here, we'll help.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which Exiles is the one to read again?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which Exiles is the one to read again?
The ones by Winick, Austen, Bedard, and Parker.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Soonmot posted:

Oh good! What do you like about the nu52? I'm old, so I hate pretty much the entire line, but it'd be great to see what someone coming into the hobby without the biases of us old timers thinks.

EDIT: the newest issues of Batgirl and Gotham Academy might be fun for you. They have great art and are well written, but aren't really my thing.

I only really read maybe 20 comics total as a kid, but I've always been a fan of the DC superheroes through movies, cartoons etc. I know that DC has a hardon for rebooting their franchises, so I was really stoked that the N52 launch happened to coincide with me becoming interested again in the idea of reading comics. It's cool to feel that you're in at the "ground floor" to me.

My buddy happens to own a comic shop and has basically given me free reign to borrow whatever I want, plus he's shown me where to read comics online as well so it was easy to pick up all the #1s and start from the beginning and I'm really enjoying what I've read so far.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you haven't, check out Animal Man and Dial H for some things in the N52 that's a bit outside of the Justice League.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you haven't, check out Animal Man and Dial H for some things in the N52 that's a bit outside of the Justice League.

After you read Animal Man start Justice League United.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Teenage Fansub posted:

I've actually been going through the N52 from start to finish by release date, as in.. all the comics #1, all of them #2, etc. I'm currently only up to the 3rd issues of each series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Verranicus posted:

I've actually been going through the N52 from start to finish by release date, as in.. all the comics #1, all of them #2, etc. I'm currently only up to the 3rd issues of each series.

1) Why on earth would you subject yourself to that?
2) If you're going to do something like that, you should be reading them in release order. Not every book was launched at the same time, some books got second or third issues before the first issue of something else was ever published, and I'm pretty sure some books double shipped.
3) Seriously why? and if you're committed to reading every goddamn thing why are you in the recommendation thread, since you'll apparently read everything DC anyways?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

The worst way to read comics, discovered.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Verranicus posted:

You'll be burned out before you even finish a full arc of anything. And that's if you can even keep the storylines straight reading 40+ titles at once. Good lord.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Eh. The discovery in that month of brand new #1s was part of the experience, and he's doing it for free.
But yeah. There was mostly no major crossover continuity between the books, even between the ones in the Superman and Batman families, so don't feel you have to keep on like that.
You could be reading good Green Arrow right now by skipping straight to #17 instead of wading through a year and a half of poo poo.

e: \/ Aww man. Batwoman is awesome. Not even for the art? She was actually set up right before the N52 in the Batwoman Elegy trade. That might help.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 27, 2014

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

redbackground posted:

The worst way to read comics, discovered.

Haha, I don't doubt it. Thankfully as mentioned I don't spend a cent on it, and for the most part I've been enjoying all but a few of the series. The only one to really stand out to me as not my thing up til now has been Batwoman.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

That's actually something I've been wanting to do with Silver Age Marvel, starting from Fantastic Four #1 and going by release order. But that's not nearly 52 titles and they are all way more interconnected.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheManWithNoName posted:

That's actually something I've been wanting to do with Silver Age Marvel, starting from Fantastic Four #1 and going by release order. But that's not nearly 52 titles and they are all way more interconnected.

Maybe, but a typical silver age comic is going to have 10 times the words of a modern one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheManWithNoName posted:

The art and writing average is going to be a lot higher, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheManWithNoName posted:

They aren't that interconnected, they just have guest appearances and poo poo. My favorite non-crossover in early Marvel is where Spider-Man is web slinging through the city and for 1 panel there's snow, then afterwards Spider-Man thinks "that's weird" and there's an editors note at the bottom telling you to read Journey into Mystery to see what Thor is up to.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Skwirl posted:

They aren't that interconnected, they just have guest appearances and poo poo. My favorite non-crossover in early Marvel is where Spider-Man is web slinging through the city and for 1 panel there's snow, then afterwards Spider-Man thinks "that's weird" and there's an editors note at the bottom telling you to read Journey into Mystery to see what Thor is up to.

That where my whole idea of how, if it ever happened, Marvel should do a reboot comes from, a white out panel, a bla·sé reaction from Spider-Man and everything is different.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The expected Image sale at comiXology is going on.
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=4554

The only thing there that I'm interested in and not already reading is Remender's Black Science. Any thoughts on the book?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Are any of the Tick comics good? I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and liking the world and the weird heroes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are any of the Tick comics good? I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and liking the world and the weird heroes.

Yes get the edlund. If you recognize the name he is responcible for the funny and great episodes of Angel and Supernatural.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 1, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Agreed -- get the Complete Edlund TPB with the first twelve issues that he wrote. I've read some random other Tick stories over the years, including the "Karma Tornado" miniseries by Christopher McCulloch, aka Jackson Publick (creator of the Venture Bros.), and they have never been as good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Paul the Samurai collection's decent, also. It's a Tick spinoff.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
So I have been aware of Dr. Strange for a while. I am a fan of his portrayal in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. I am a big Spider-Man fan so I was watching a documentary (Finding Steve Ditko) and saw that he created Dr. Strange. The comic has been brought up as being a classic in other documentaries I've seen and always seems interesting. I also saw that it was highly psychedelic even before the era of LSD and such. This peaked my interest a lot and now I am wondering if I should read Dr. Strange. I would definitely start with silver age stuff starting from his first appearance because that's just what I prefer. Is Silver Age Strange worth it if I am a fan of Amazing Spider-Man, Nick Fury, Deadpool? Or is it a completely different tone?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

So I have been aware of Dr. Strange for a while. I am a fan of his portrayal in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. I am a big Spider-Man fan so I was watching a documentary (Finding Steve Ditko) and saw that he created Dr. Strange. The comic has been brought up as being a classic in other documentaries I've seen and always seems interesting. I also saw that it was highly psychedelic even before the era of LSD and such. This peaked my interest a lot and now I am wondering if I should read Dr. Strange. I would definitely start with silver age stuff starting from his first appearance because that's just what I prefer. Is Silver Age Strange worth it if I am a fan of Amazing Spider-Man, Nick Fury, Deadpool? Or is it a completely different tone?

Have you read much Silver age comics? The original Lee/Ditko stuff is worth a look either way. Other stuff to check out is the Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom graphic novel, Matt Fractions Defenders (Nick Fury pops up in that towards the end) and The Oath by Brian K Vaughn.

He's also in the current New Avengers, but gets less screen time than other characters for good chunks of it, plus it's something you should probably be reading from the beginning and alongside the current Avengers, so that's probably more of a time commitment than your looking for.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If I enjoyed the first JSA Omnibus, will volume two also rock my world?

vvvThanks! Wanted to make sure I wasn't wading into an expensive turd arc or anything.vvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 8, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you enjoyed the first one? Yeah, the second one's got a lot of really cool stuff in it (the story arc with Mordru, Eclipso and Obsidian; Mr Terrific's bromance with Dr Mid-Nite; Black Adam bringing Atom Smasher over to the dark side).

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
What are some good Batman stories that predominately feature Black Mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Agreed -- get the Complete Edlund TPB with the first twelve issues that he wrote. I've read some random other Tick stories over the years, including the "Karma Tornado" miniseries by Christopher McCulloch, aka Jackson Publick (creator of the Venture Bros.), and they have never been as good.

I found the first Karma Tornado volume at Half Price Books and thought it was great! So if the Ben Edlund stuff is even better, I can't wait to track it down.