Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

End of Life Guy posted:

My family is asking me what I want for Christmas. Are there any TCGplayer type websites with gift cards? I'd hate to be monotonously pedantic and tell her which pieces of amulet combo I'm lacking.

It's a bit janky, but eBay comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zombie #246 posted:

Anyone else's group regularly get fundamental rules and timing issues wrong?

When we all first started playing, yes. Now, no.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

End of Life Guy posted:

My family is asking me what I want for Christmas. Are there any TCGplayer type websites with gift cards? I'd hate to be monotonously pedantic and tell her which pieces of amulet combo I'm lacking.

Most of the big online retailers sell gift certificates. I know both CFB and SCG have them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ojetor posted:

Most of the big online retailers sell gift certificates. I know both CFB and SCG have them.

Doesn't TCGPlayer take generic Visa Giftcards as well?

Could ask for one of those.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is it possible to do janky things with Split Second? I was thinking of something like...

Cast a card with an "additional Cost" of sacrificing a creature that has a death trigger, then holding priority in response to that to cast something with split second (whether or not it does something useful is irrelevant?) and then...? Like, can they respond between something with split second resolving, and the other abilities on the stack resolving?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Gensuki posted:

Is it possible to do janky things with Split Second? I was thinking of something like...

Cast a card with an "additional Cost" of sacrificing a creature that has a death trigger, then holding priority in response to that to cast something with split second (whether or not it does something useful is irrelevant?) and then...? Like, can they respond between something with split second resolving, and the other abilities on the stack resolving?

That doesn't work the way you want it to. The split second card will resolve and then they can cast spell to respond to your death trigger. The most rules-tricky thing you can do with split second really is to respond to their split second spell with abilities that don't use the stack, like morph or mana abilities. For example, you can return Punishing Fire to your hand in response to an Extirpate by making the opponent gain life with Grove of the Burnwillows.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Gensuki posted:

No, this doesn't work. They'll always get a chance to do things after the split second spell resolves and before anything else.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

If the split-second spell's casting causes a triggered ability to trigger, somehow, then THAT trigger is untouchable, because it goes on the stack above your spell automatically. Like if you Krosan Grip a Standstill, you can FORCE your opponents to each draw three cards. :shepface:

EDIT: Or maybe you have Purphoros and Dovescape and you cast Take Possession, that'll do 14 damage to each opponent with split second. But at some point you could just kick Molten Disaster and be done with it.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 26, 2014

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

Once you've cast your Split Second Spell, the only real way to get things onto the stack is triggers. If you could get something to trigger by casting the Split Second spell, that triggered ability would be free from being Stifled or responded to. That said, neither of you would be able to respond to the triggered ability outside of being able to put new triggers on the stack, so there doesn't seem to be a ton of edge to be gained abusing Split Second.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

LordSaturn posted:

If the split-second spell's casting causes a triggered ability to trigger, somehow, then THAT trigger is untouchable, because it goes on the stack above your spell automatically. Like if you Krosan Grip a Standstill, you can FORCE your opponents to each draw three cards. :shepface:

I'm sorry, but forcing your opponents to draw cards is nothing new :smaug:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

That is the face of a man who knows he's going to draw three cards and there's nothing he can do about it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, but that loses to Counterspell, my version has split second.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

JerryLee posted:

You have to forcibly guide their hand to the top of their deck and make them take the cards.

Another great example of funny wording is the old City of Brass:

"yeah, that's right: you suffer that one damage. Get to grimacing, mister." :colbert:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I like the italics on Ring of Ma'ruf:

"Yeah, that's right, you get to pick a card from outside the game. Is your mind loving blown or what?"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

"Let me use an example to explain how this card works"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A good play I saw years ago where one player clearly didn't think through what he was doing happened between two legacy Jund decks. One goes to extirpate the other's Punishing Fire from their graveyard. In response, defender taps his grove of the burnwillows. PFire's ability triggers, he pays, and extirpate fizzles. :sun:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Actually if we're doing the whole Alpha thing I might as well link this part of the card design thread where the contest was to make cards using Alpha templating.

e: also, the XYR Fireball! I think it's the only {Y} on a non-Un card.

vOv fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 26, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Plague Rats is my favourite silly old text. It's got the 'Xs below' thing, an example, and is particularly insistent about Plague Rats counting both sides of the battlefield 'no matter who controls them' and/or 'on both sides'. Magic knew it was unintuitive for those kinds of effects to be double-sided all the way back in Alpha, and it took until Lorwyn to decide that something should be done about it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Zoness posted:

I don't think this is the case because you're devoting a lot of slots for a deck that isn't played very often. I mean, yes, they can be easily cast, but a lot of players aren't willing to devote the slots because the cards aren't nearly as good in other matchups.

There's more hate than there was 4 years ago and dredge hasn't gotten significantly more cards, but it's not like sideboards have gotten bigger. Every sideboard slot aimed at dredge/graveyard strategy is a slot that doesn't necessarily stop storm, sneak and show, delver, etc. That's pretty much the angle I see playing dredge from because yes, if everyone packs 15 cards against you, your odds of winning game 2 and game 3 get a lot lower, but most decks rarely go past 3 pieces of dedicated hate in the 75, although most decks have way more disruption than most players would think.

I'm not saying that it's outright stupid to just pack all dredge hate in your sideboard, I'm just saying that there are valid reasons that people don't.

I'm not saying you have to sideboard all of them. But a lot of them are relevant against plenty of decks. Reanimator, lands and dredge all can be hurt with graveyard hate. Removing someone's graveyard can hurt goyf and threshhold, surgical is good against more decks than I can count. I have extracted volcs from delver to keep them off a color as well as in response to a thought seized Emrakul in SnT before he shuffles back in.

I would never sideboard just Gy hate but those were listed as choices of hate you can take advantage of.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

A good play I saw years ago where one player clearly didn't think through what he was doing happened between two legacy Jund decks. One goes to extirpate the other's Punishing Fire from their graveyard. In response, defender taps his grove of the burnwillows. PFire's ability triggers, he pays, and extirpate fizzles. :sun:

I vaguely remember Brian Kibler earning some fame by using this play 5 years ago towards his PT Austin win, but I can't find text for it.

Gabriel Nassif had the interaction recorded in a feature match:
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptaus09/fm2

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

vOv posted:

I like the italics on Ring of Ma'ruf:

"Yeah, that's right, you get to pick a card from outside the game. Is your mind loving blown or what?"

It's also removed from the game entirely. (Also that's a cool card. It's basically an Anything Wish in artefact form that costs more and your next draw. Might be funny to put into an EDH deck provided your group uses the optional sideboard rule)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

You have to forcibly guide their hand to the top of their deck and make them take the cards.

Another great example of funny wording is the old City of Brass:

"yeah, that's right: you suffer that one damage. Get to grimacing, mister." :colbert:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the Arabic writing on City of Brass's art means?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Chamale posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the Arabic writing on City of Brass's art means?

Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
We're doing dumb wordings and no one mentioned Floral loving Spuzzem?

It is a dream of mine to see Floral Spuzzem be issued penalties for stalling when it doesn't make its decision.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine.

I really don't know if you're joking or not.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Keiya posted:

We're doing dumb wordings and no one mentioned Floral loving Spuzzem?

It is a dream of mine to see Floral Spuzzem be issued penalties for stalling when it doesn't make its decision.

I'm a level 1 judge. I will sneak it and R&D's Secret Lair, and make my group wait for a couple minutes whilst I let Spuzzem decide, before issuing it a penalty.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

vOv posted:

Actually if we're doing the whole Alpha thing I might as well link this part of the card design thread where the contest was to make cards using Alpha templating.

e: also, the XYR Fireball! I think it's the only {Y} on a non-Un card.

I have no idea how I forgot to say this earlier, but XYR fireball is the cleanest template it's ever had. But then, the only problem I ever had with The Ultimate Nightmare of Wizards of the Coast® Customer Service is that it takes a moment to go 'yeah, it's red'. (Also the flavor text needs errata, but we all knew that.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Keiya posted:

I have no idea how I forgot to say this earlier, but XYR fireball is the cleanest template it's ever had. But then, the only problem I ever had with The Ultimate Nightmare of Wizards of the Coast® Customer Service is that it takes a moment to go 'yeah, it's red'. (Also the flavor text needs errata, but we all knew that.)

It's a shame that they can't actually go back to it, since it's functionally different from how it currently works. (With the XY templating, the cost of giving it additional targets is included in the CMC while the spell is on the stack. That's not how the Strive-esque current oracle wording behaves.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the idea of a fast, aggressively costed red planeswalker is interesting, Tibalt just fails at that miserably because he has to use his (at best) barely useful plus ability twice before he can do anything else, and even at that point he's underwhelming. Maybe the idea would work better with a minus-only planeswalker, so you can get a short-term but flexible boost.
I'd like to see a 2 mana walker with "0: Proliferate." And then maybe like a -1 and a -X.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yawgmoth posted:

I'd like to see a 2 mana walker with "0: Proliferate." And then maybe like a -1 and a -X.

That would be absolutely ridiculous in a Super Friends deck.

Edit: That having been said. Anyone not running Contagion Engine in a EDH walker deck is doing it wrong. :colbert:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
This just makes me wonder what other cards/versions thereof might make fun additions in, I dunno, an R&D's Secret Lair Cube. A cube sort of like an inverse Judge's Tower, where every card is simply played exactly as printed to the best of players' ability. A pre-4th Edition Frozen Shade gets a whole lot better and obviously Ashnod's Coupon becomes the ultimate p1p1 windmill slam.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Use counters

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Can't have funky cardtexts without the original wording on Impulse.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We've come a long way on the terminology of "sacrifice".

Lars posted:

Can't have funky cardtexts without the original wording on Impulse.

Why did they errata that anyway? Did they just put the shuffle clause on completely by accident?

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Entropic posted:

Why did they errata that anyway? Did they just put the shuffle clause on completely by accident?

Yeah, it was an oversight. It was never meant to be there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Along the same lines:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

Along the same lines:

What's strange with this?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Stab posted:

What's strange with this?

They forgot something. Look it up on Gatherer and check the rulings.

It's supposed to be an artifact creature, hence the artifact frame, but they forgot to actually write that on the card

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Come on guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hopping Ghost posted:

This just makes me wonder what other cards/versions thereof might make fun additions in, I dunno, an R&D's Secret Lair Cube. A cube sort of like an inverse Judge's Tower, where every card is simply played exactly as printed to the best of players' ability. A pre-4th Edition Frozen Shade gets a whole lot better and obviously Ashnod's Coupon becomes the ultimate p1p1 windmill slam.

Island Fish Jasconius. :getin:

• Locked thread