Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Heresiarch posted:

my tv goes to sleep if the connection drops when it's on the vga input, but not on the hdmi or component or whatever. i had to get back in the habit of turning the tv off when i started using hdmi instead

yeah me too. i mean the tv is smart enough to know there is no connection, it says so, it just doesnt turn off
which is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

"would you buy an android phone?"
"yes"
"welp"

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
i want like, an arm stand thing for my future secondary monitor. preferably one that can extend like a meter, or more. anyone got any suggestions? idk poo poo about this (or anything else for that matter)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Granbar posted:

i want like, an arm stand thing for my future secondary monitor. preferably one that can extend like a meter, or more. anyone got any suggestions? idk poo poo about this (or anything else for that matter)

if u want cheap: monoprice
if u want dope: ergotron

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

if u want cheap: monoprice
if u want dope: ergotron

i have some ergotrons at work, they own

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we've got a massive ergotron pillar type mount on wheels at work that we have two 50" sarnsungs stacked on one side for bigboards and status pages, and a single 60" on the other for promo video/slideshows facing the lobby. unlock the casters and you can move it with your pinky. very nice

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i like lcdarms.com (e: defunct url, company is still around - innovative design works), they have a bunch of nice mounts of all types. i put a 32" panel on one with a 2' extension

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 19, 2021

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
cross-postin

horse mans posted:

i have a single server with a bunch of poo poo on it, jabber, my blog, fail2ban set up, dragonfly mail agent, postgres, git repos, etc etc. i want to be able to set up everything locally and have a one-button deploy for all my configuration and etc., while still keeping e.g. existing data in the postgres database, etc. is there anything more lightweight than some kind of terrible chef/puppet/docker solution?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
chef and puppet aren't terrible that is exactly what they are for

if you cant write a chef recipe to do all that, idk man

docker is not the hammer for this nail

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

horse mans posted:

cross-postin

ansible

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
how do you paste in Google's Hangout's App for iPhone device? I just want to use the new smilie keyboard but i dont know how to paste! this is upsetting me dearly.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
secondary question: how do you sort by column in itunes? i click the column and nothing happens. very good ui. it has a up arrow next to Artist so im guessing this feature exists????

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

itunes is absolute dogshit

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sweevo posted:

agreed

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sweevo posted:

the worst part is they keep removing functionality (or hiding it) with each new major release

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when they changed away from the mode with everyting on the left it sucked. once i got it back but i cant remember how and now its stuck in moron mode

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

when they changed away from the mode with everyting on the left it sucked. once i got it back but i cant remember how and now its stuck in moron mode

click 'playlists'

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that kinda works, but you know, when your library, and moveis, and ipad, ipod etc all showed up on the left

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
show sidebar

ctril s

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

itunes is bad don't use it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its good for tv buying idk about music

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CrazyLittle posted:

the worst part is they keep removing functionality (or hiding it) with each new major release

its amazing how far negative functionality can go, but drat it they do it anyway.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

spankmeister posted:

itunes is bad don't use it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theadder posted:

its good for tv buying idk about music

yeah, i primarily use it for tv shows

and podcasts, but it's terrible at those

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

how should I be handling RPC traffic with the windows firewall? we have some siemens software that talks over rpc and one of my coworkers broke the poo poo out of it and left it for me to fix. firewall exceptions for the services are defined by process name which I thought would be enough, but instead it hits the rpc initiator port and then fails on the handoff because its not allowing the rpc endpoint mapper ports through. I fixed it fast and dirty by making a general rule that allowed whatever inbound traffic the rpc service wanted to pass from the right ip ranges but I don't know if there is a better way to do this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

how should I be handling RPC traffic with the windows firewall? we have some siemens software that talks over rpc and one of my coworkers broke the poo poo out of it and left it for me to fix. firewall exceptions for the services are defined by process name which I thought would be enough, but instead it hits the rpc initiator port and then fails on the handoff because its not allowing the rpc endpoint mapper ports through. I fixed it fast and dirty by making a general rule that allowed whatever inbound traffic the rpc service wanted to pass from the right ip ranges but I don't know if there is a better way to do this

That sounds about right, then you can see what ports are actually in use and tighten up the rules if you want

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

has anyone figured out how to do that mac typing diacritics by keyboard combinations on windows yet

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

wonder if there is an iptables module for it... makign some assumptions itp though haha

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nerd rant ahead:

I found a really good deal on plugin usb touch overlays for screens that you sit on the front of a monitor and then it's a 10-point touch display; thought 'I'll pick up a smaller 4k TV in the sales, mount one of these and do my retouching in style!'

However, that will only be capacitive touch, no pressure or tilt sensitivity - surely there must be a Bluetooth-enabled stylus that will talk to Windows 8 to provide the extra functionality via the pen!? nope! Plenty for iPad / iOS, nowt for windows. Only likely candidate is a kickstarter that's 7 months behind schedule and looking increasingly unlikely ever to ship.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonatherton/yufu-the-stylus-perfected-pressure-sensitive-fine/comments - people r mad :devil:

There's an empty market spot here, hardware firms!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Nerd rant ahead:

I found a really good deal on plugin usb touch overlays for screens that you sit on the front of a monitor and then it's a 10-point touch display; thought 'I'll pick up a smaller 4k TV in the sales, mount one of these and do my retouching in style!'

However, that will only be capacitive touch, no pressure or tilt sensitivity - surely there must be a Bluetooth-enabled stylus that will talk to Windows 8 to provide the extra functionality via the pen!? nope! Plenty for iPad / iOS, nowt for windows. Only likely candidate is a kickstarter that's 7 months behind schedule and looking increasingly unlikely ever to ship.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonatherton/yufu-the-stylus-perfected-pressure-sensitive-fine/comments - people r mad :devil:

There's an empty market spot here, hardware firms!

noone makes this because noone wants it or should want it.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Is there a web that has backups of Coursera courses? All their videos are getting locked into sessions so you can't view old courses, and you have to wait a few months before you can download all the vids. It's really annoying.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

hey uh my wife's late 2009 macbook pro doesn't turn on anymore (?????) even when plugged in and i'm guessing it's because the battery is hosed. does that sound right. do i just need to buy a new battery for it??

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

you also need to buy a hex driver and a trilobe (think like slot but three of them and small, not triangle) bit

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

does that one have the battery meter button on the battery?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

you also need to buy a hex driver and a trilobe (think like slot but three of them and small, not triangle) bit

i think of that as the nintendo screwdriver

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

god drat that's hosed up. why can't they just use normal screws.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

does that one have the battery meter button on the battery?

no it has the button on the side of the computer. it's a unibody mbp.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

I may or may not have once slaved for an hour Dremeling down every other point on a Torx driver so that I could work on a god drat macbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

$5 on amazon and I have all kinds of bits I will ever need

poo poo shaped like a bowtie, one called "snake eyes", 8 lobe, security everything, it's been great