Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Paperhouse posted:

I find her attractive. Would like to know Taff's thoughts

My abiding memory of her is she won FHM Sexiest woman in like 96-97ish and in the magazine that came with it Ulrika Johnson looked amazing and I very much enjoyed looking at that picture of Ulrika

Gillian Anderson always looked better dressed than in sexy pics

I think her voice is very sexy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2014/48/raw-meat-radio

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
So my amazing hometown of Grimsby is about to be on skint on channel 4.

Lets see if all publicity is good publicity runs true

It's just sad. why is this on tv. its not a loving zoo.

Why are they showing him toking he's got an electric tag.

This is what he got jailed for: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Robbers-locked-vicious-Grimsby-street-mugging/story-22729257-detail/story.html

Want to know which lawyer was telling him he wouldn't face time for that

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 24, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

This paedophile thing on channel four tonight looks very channel four.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Cerv posted:

This paedophile thing on channel four tonight looks very channel four.

You mean a cheap, sensationalist ratings-grabbing stunt?

Yep, that's Channel Four.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Castle Radium posted:

You mean a cheap, sensationalist ratings-grabbing stunt?

Yep, that's Channel Four.

"Why can we no longer thinking of the British Isles without the word 'paedoph' in front of it?"

"AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
This is the last thing we wanted to happen.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Clearly it is escalation. His next step is to set up and entire channel and then oversee all the programming to take the piss out of Channel 4 entirely.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
loving hell, Toast of London is great.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Resonance posted:

loving hell, Toast of London is great.

Isn't it just? I've watched the last two episodes twice and I just love it. I think it's the fact that Toast is a total bellend but also totally lovable. I think it's a combination of his complete ignorance of pop culture, Clem's bullying and Ray Purchase being even worse.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Jonnty posted:

Isn't it just? I've watched the last two episodes twice and I just love it. I think it's the fact that Toast is a total bellend but also totally lovable. I think it's a combination of his complete ignorance of pop culture, Clem's bullying and Ray Purchase being even worse.

Absolutely, just a lovely comedy. I particularly enjoy how his ridiculous enunciation can still catch me off guard (as in the 'rear end-iiiiiid' bit in this week's show).

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
And the random words that he pronounces weirdly. He does it just rare enough that it's amazing every time.

E: beaten, but it bears repeating

VVV - great minds and all that

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

NaDy posted:

And the random words that he pronounces weirdly. He does it just rare enough that it's amazing every time.

Well, that was freaky.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I loved the University Challenge bit so much that I must have watched it about 15 times in a row.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Haha yesss. Loved his childlike curiosity when hearing about high winds acting too.

Incidentally, right now two different terrestrial channels are both broadcasting a programme containing a sympathetic depiction of a paedophile. Odd coincidence.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The moose trap episode of toast was some of the best comedy I've seen in ages. It had everything. The plot tied together even back to the opening clem fandango studio opener. Matter berry doing HIS VOICE in the best possible way. Oh gently caress knows, the whole thing was great, like none of the minutes in it were wasted. Everything was funny and had a point.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
So uh The Missing...

I genuinely think this is a good show but I think there's a bit too much going on for it to really leave an impact. The first two episodes were brilliant and heart wrenching but since then it seems to have lost a bit of focus. There's so many strands in the plot and it just doesn't feel as immediate and real as it initially seemed. The performances are very good though and I think that helps it a lot. I'm really looking forward to how they resolve it but it feels like it takes an interesting, taboo subject and then turning it into a standardy twisty drama. I think I might have preferred a show about how such an unthinkable occurrence can change the people involved. At this point, the missing child just feels like a plot device that makes people do things I can't quite believe. The end of episode 3(?) with the videotape was horrifying though...

Also enjoying The Fall. The cast are great but it's bordering on silly. I have a feeling it will play it smarter than The Missing though. I'd be surprised/disappointed if it continues after this series...

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I dont want to watch that missing thing. Everyone keeps saying what quality it is but it just looks like it would bloody depressing.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Secrets of the Castle is pretty awesome but mainly the project itself, rather than the antics of those 3 presenters. I wish it was just a straight documentary. You've got people with years of experience in medieval building techniques but we get to see the faltering efforts of people with zero skills instead. Bah!

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The classic 1981 Day of the Triffids series is being shown on BBC Four and the first two episodes are on iplayer. If you've never watched it you should, because it's ace.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is it? Is it really? I find it hard to believe there's actually been a decent adaptation of that ever.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is it? Is it really? I find it hard to believe there's actually been a decent adaptation of that ever.

It's pretty good, yeah. The problem with Triffids is it's too flabby. There's nothing gained from having the Triffids be a human creation which coincidentally take over due to the unrelated meteor shower or that the main character be an expert in them. It's simpler, but admittedly more cliche, to make the meteor shower a natural delivery method for the Triffids.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

what like in the movie? that's a big pile of shite.

there's a point to it all that humanity is responsible for it's own downfall. created both the triffids and the 'meteors'

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Doesn't seem to be much chat about Babylon in here, which I find surprising. I really enjoyed the first couple of episodes, now that they seem to be linking some of the characters instead of it just being disparate arms of the met like it seemed in the pilot. I think that Phoneshop bloke is great as well.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

It's pretty good, yeah. The problem with Triffids is it's too flabby. There's nothing gained from having the Triffids be a human creation which coincidentally take over due to the unrelated meteor shower or that the main character be an expert in them. It's simpler, but admittedly more cliche, to make the meteor shower a natural delivery method for the Triffids.

The triffids didn't coincidentally take over at just the right time; they'd been around since the protagonists childhood. They were a weird but valuable crop that everyone was accustomed to. They were kept in parks and gardens and spread all over the world. That the protagonist was an expert wasn't a weird coincidence either, he was just one of many survivors. He didn't have access to a top secret lab with a weapon to stop them, his expertise just meant he knew the danger they posed and we the readers get to share his frustrations that no one else could see it.

You could only include the triffids in the "meteors" as a third WMD but first, walking plants are a goofy idea at the best of times without weaponizing them; second, blindness and the plague makes them pretty superfluous as well as being more credible weapons themselves; third and more importantly, the theme that people were always 'blind' to danger is lost if you don't establish the Triffids as something normal and safe at the start.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 26, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Seaside Loafer posted:

I dont want to watch that missing thing. Everyone keeps saying what quality it is but it just looks like it would bloody depressing.

It's a well-executed drama and it pulls all the right heartstrings, so if you generally react to dramas that way, I reckon it might be a tad depressing to watch. However, I didn't find it all that gut-wrenching, so I say give it a go anyway.

As a side note, my brother went missing with a friend in Greece when I was about ten and it was hell for the families until both safely returned on their own the next day. The Greece police weren't too keen on looking for them before two days or whatever, and nobody really cared at the hotel. Makes me wonder how realistic the initial reaction of the town in the show was.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The opening three episodes of The Missing were mysterious and exciting, and the last couple have been a bit formulaic and dull. The way nesbitt's character discovered the link between the two paedophiles was really stupid. I wonder how involved the English copper is, because the way he became involved seemed a little daft to me, as well.

Did the thing nesbitt and his father in law discussed in the beer garden just after the boy went missing ('do you think it's related to that thing we did?') get resolved? If it did I completely missed it.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The opening three episodes of The Missing were mysterious and exciting etc.

You might want to spoiler some of that, sounds like there's still a few people in the thread swithering over whether they want to watch it or not.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

8raz posted:

So uh The Missing...

I genuinely think this is a good show but I think there's a bit too much going on for it to really leave an impact. The first two episodes were brilliant and heart wrenching but since then it seems to have lost a bit of focus. There's so many strands in the plot and it just doesn't feel as immediate and real as it initially seemed. The performances are very good though and I think that helps it a lot. I'm really looking forward to how they resolve it but it feels like it takes an interesting, taboo subject and then turning it into a standardy twisty drama. I think I might have preferred a show about how such an unthinkable occurrence can change the people involved. At this point, the missing child just feels like a plot device that makes people do things I can't quite believe. The end of episode 3(?) with the videotape was horrifying though...

I think the problem is the sense of time that's passed in the past. Like, i think it's not been long since their kid went missing, maybe a few days? Has it been weeks? I'm not sure. The first 2 episodes conveyed this sense of urgency, but from episode 3 Nesbitt seems a lot more relaxed than he should be, hanging out at bars and pubs, etc. Maybe i missed something and episode 4's past takes place like a month or two after the kidnapping, but it just breaks the sense of urgency.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Did anyone else see The One Show earlier? I'm starting to think I dreamt it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Nettle Soup posted:

Did anyone else see The One Show earlier? I'm starting to think I dreamt it.
Go on? this one? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04ptzzl/the-one-show-26112014 that is weird combo for sure e: a;right ive got nothing to do, i'll give a trip report in while e:2 yeah i cant take that, it seems like an acid flashback if it was immersed in ... more acid, i lasted 3.5 mins

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 26, 2014

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Watch this weeks' Come Dine With Me in the older guy's art-warehouse-house for the single most concentrated bit of embarrassment you'll ever encounter. It triggers the "curl up into a ball" reflex so hard you'll get sucked into your own bowels.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Kin posted:

I think the problem is the sense of time that's passed in the past. Like, i think it's not been long since their kid went missing, maybe a few days? Has it been weeks? I'm not sure. The first 2 episodes conveyed this sense of urgency, but from episode 3 Nesbitt seems a lot more relaxed than he should be, hanging out at bars and pubs, etc. Maybe i missed something and episode 4's past takes place like a month or two after the kidnapping, but it just breaks the sense of urgency.

They have the world cup backstory specifically so you know how much time has passed.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Watching ep5 of Toast. It seems to have become...self-aware.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I despise catchphrase comedy, but the lack of "Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango" in the new series is majorly putting me off. Also less time dedicated to the voice-over sessions is doing that too.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jonnty posted:

They have the world cup backstory specifically so you know how much time has passed.

Some of us don't give a poo poo about football. What an asinine way to convey the passage of time.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Kin posted:

Some of us don't give a poo poo about football. What an asinine way to convey the passage of time.

I'm not a sports fan but I know the World Cup doesn't last several months. It's like how I'm not a geographer but I know what France is.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They should have made Nesbit a calender fetishists and have him jerk off whilst staring at the day's date every episode.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 27, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jonnty posted:

I'm not a sports fan but I know the World Cup doesn't last several months. It's like how I'm not a geographer but I know what France is.

So is it days or weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Squishy posted:

They should have made Nesbit a calender fetishists and have him jerk off whilst staring at the day's date every episode.

This, but unironically.