Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

lets burn posted:

yah don't buy it. Its worthless. Get something fun. Saints Row or Portal or something actually good. This one's going to bum you out if you pay more than 20 dollars for it.

For those who haven't been paying attention this dude is a huge troll who apparently hates the game and himself after playing it for threee days straight.

You can dismiss any opinions he has on this game pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
He hated it so much he played through it ten times, like a proper goon. :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Give him some credit. It was 8 times. That argument happened before Doppelganger came out. Unless he's gone back and hated it all the way through twice more since.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Lester Shy posted:

How's this game holding up now, a month after release? I usually buy 1-2 recent AAA games at full price each year, and I've been eyeballing this one, but I'm always wary of sequels developed by "off-brand" studios. I put 100+ hours into BL2 taking a Gunzerker up to OP8, so I'm a big fan of the core gameplay, just wondering if the Pre-Sequel has as much staying power as BL2.

I think there's less endgame right now - I have 4 playthroughs, one of which was TVHM and there isn't much to do after you get to level 50 other than reroll.

I'm hoping that the holodome and campaign DLC will help, but so far I've moved back to BL2 to work through some unplayed content in that game.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
I put this game down for a while, but just got the urge to continue my Wilhelm playthrough. It seems he has developed a strange habit during his down time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-yGdbZUPHU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

There are so many things that break your left hand/arm animations in this game. Athena does it if your skill runs out at an odd time, she'll still have her arm out. If you take Nisha's One for Each of Ya skill and then switch back to a non pistol her left arm will break and not be shown in any animations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When you guys say the game's significantly shorter than BL2, how short do you mean?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

When you guys say the game's significantly shorter than BL2, how short do you mean?

BL2 mainquest usually gets pegged around 40 hours, right? The presequel is at most 20 including sidequests. (This was verified literally by the 24 hour charity stream that finished the game.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

AirRaid posted:

Give him some credit. It was 8 times. That argument happened before Doppelganger came out. Unless he's gone back and hated it all the way through twice more since.

He was talking about his Level 50 Handsome Jack build, which means... something... maybe?

Rinkles posted:

It's about 2/3rds as long, I'd say, speaking roughly. If Borderlands 2 (minus DLC) was about 20-30 hours, Pre-Sequel is more like 15-22.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tezzeract posted:

I think there's less endgame right now - I have 4 playthroughs, one of which was TVHM and there isn't much to do after you get to level 50 other than reroll.

I'm hoping that the holodome and campaign DLC will help, but so far I've moved back to BL2 to work through some unplayed content in that game.

There will be a UVHM, which should be more balanced, plus at least 1 story DLC.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

ProfessionalNinja posted:

The quest to shoot the defector out of the moon cannon is loving stupid on TVHM. The beacon can take 2 maybe 3 shots before it is destroyed, and there is little to no way to keep the enemies from shooting it immediately.

I keep getting right to the end, and a stupid rear end Badass lost legion rear end in a top hat comes and finishes it in one hit right as he loving spawns. This game is so god drat frustrating on TVHM.

Yeah that missions bugged. The health doesn't scale to TVHM, so it requires near perfect guarding. I said gently caress it, they'll patch it eventually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mycot posted:

BL2 mainquest usually gets pegged around 40 hours, right? The presequel is at most 20 including sidequests. (This was verified literally by the 24 hour charity stream that finished the game.)

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's about 2/3rds as long, I'd say, speaking roughly. If Borderlands 2 (minus DLC) was about 20-30 hours, Pre-Sequel is more like 15-22.

Thanks. Unfortunate since these games are supposed to be time sinks, but I'll probably still pick up the ps4 version if that ends up happening , especially if the DLC is bundled.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'd wait until after the UVHM patch/dlc comes out since that will be when the endgame will be at its full potential which is needed now since the endgame is sorely lacking. It still won't be amazing since mobbing isn't that great because of the poor combat flow and small amount of enemies which is most likely due console memory limitations and likely won't be fixed.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

mycot posted:

Yup, after I beat TPS a few times, I did my first playthrough of TVHM playthrough for BL2. TPS is the better new player game - the game is more forgiving and accessible. But for sheer content breadth, BL2 is the one to go with (and it has more raid bosses.)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I fast traveled away from the Lunar Launch Station to use some of my Moonstone, but it didn't save and now I have to walk all the way back there from the Hub. :negative:

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014

Skandranon posted:

There will be a UVHM, which should be more balanced, plus at least 1 story DLC.

This is what I am waiting for, the DLC from BL2 were so good. I just hope that they add some length to them to help offset how short TPS is.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Bold Robot posted:

I fast traveled away from the Lunar Launch Station to use some of my Moonstone, but it didn't save and now I have to walk all the way back there from the Hub. :negative:

Happened to me on PC. I think the trigger to save was turning in the story quest with Jack.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I don't suppose there's a thread for the Tales from the Borderlands game? Cause it comes out tomorrow! :dance:

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

Is Tales going to be an episodic kind of game, a la Walking Dead / Wolf Among Us?

I'm a Borderlands fan but I'd hate waiting months for story arcs to be finished and rather buy the whole season on one Steam sale.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Issakhar posted:

Is Tales going to be an episodic kind of game, a la Walking Dead / Wolf Among Us?

I'm a Borderlands fan but I'd hate waiting months for story arcs to be finished and rather buy the whole season on one Steam sale.

Yes, 5 episodes, spread across...whenever.

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

mycot posted:

...whenever.

Yep, gonna pass on this until its a full season deal I guess.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
That's basically what I did with The Walking Dead. As in, I had a very mild interest in the Walking Dead, and finally bought it during a Steam Sale when all of Season 1 was available for the price of a cup of beans.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://www.twitch.tv/nerdist/b/592468355

These guys just streamed what I guess is the first episode.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Alright I wrote up an OP for a Tales from the Borderlands thread. Now, anyone have thread title suggestions? edit: I'd go for "Office Space in Space" but I'd feel kinda bad for ignoring half the plot.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 25, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mycot posted:

Alright I wrote up an OP for a Tales from the Borderlands thread. Now, anyone have thread title suggestions? edit: I'd go for "Office Space in Space" but I'd feel kinda bad for ignoring half the plot.

Tales from the Borderlands: The game will include some of the gunplay that the Borderlands Series is known for.
Tales from the Borderlands: Hopefully Rhys and Fiona will have sex in this.
Tales from the Borderlands: Tiny Tina probably isn't in it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Tales from the Borderlands: Putting QTEs in the only shooter not to have them yet.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Tales From the Borderlands: Story Matters Now hahahaha j/k
Tales From the Borderlands: No Shoots, Just Jokes
Tales From the Borderlands: Tell Me a Story About a Raid Boss

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tales From the Borderlands: Calm Down, It Wasn't Written by You-Know-Who

edit: non-joke answer, I like the office space in space one best.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It hit me that the reason why I can't come up with anything else is because pretty much all of the promo material focused only on Rhys' story. Oh well, I guess it's Telltale's fault and not mine. New thread.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm playing though BL2 right now and will be picking this up in the Christmas sale. I've got a couple of questions about the new mechanics I haven't seen answered though.

- Are the drop rates better than BL2? If they're low I'll use cheat engine to make them better anyway, but it'd be nice to not have to do that.

- Oxygen looks annoying, especially as a person who likes to take his time. Are there enough Oxygen canisters laying around that it's not much of an issue? Might end up playing Claptrap just to not have to worry about it.

- How are lasers? They look like they'd basically just be super accurate assault rifles/sniper rifles in most cases.

- Can you tweak the .ini file to turn off black borders and cel-shading like you could for BL2? It made BL2 run a lot better for me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RatHat posted:

I'm playing though BL2 right now and will be picking this up in the Christmas sale. I've got a couple of questions about the new mechanics I haven't seen answered though.

- Are the drop rates better than BL2? If they're low I'll use cheat engine to make them better anyway, but it'd be nice to not have to do that.

- Oxygen looks annoying, especially as a person who likes to take his time. Are there enough Oxygen canisters laying around that it's not much of an issue? Might end up playing Claptrap just to not have to worry about it.

- How are lasers? They look like they'd basically just be super accurate assault rifles/sniper rifles in most cases.

- Can you tweak the .ini file to turn off black borders and cel-shading like you could for BL2? It made BL2 run a lot better for me.

Drop rates are...you mostly want to get the good stuff from bosses, but you can still find a lot of blues in chests. Don't expect much from other enemies.

Oxygen management is a complete non-issue, all enemies killed drop oxygen and you find it in chests, air geysers and air bubbles everywhere. It's just there to give you a resource to manage (mostly butt-stomps and boosts) and to give you an incentive to not sit on your rear end. Claptrap is immune to vacuum anyway.

Lasers are fun but also difficult to quantify because there's three or four types of lasers, rapid-fire, scattershot, rail gun and stream. They're always elemental of some sort, so it's a nice way of adding some flash.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RatHat posted:

You can, thankfully, which I did because the border still looks like poo poo and has no anti aliasing on it. The game runs on literally the exact same engine so all the ini tweaks from the previous game still work in this one. I left the cel-shaded shadows on though because I like the cartoony look of it. Unfortunately there's no way to remove the ugly instagram vintage filter in one particularly large area of the game besides turning the graphics down though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

RatHat posted:

-Yes, chests actually have a decent chance of containing blue/purples, the vending machines give out great stuff, and the grinder lets you turn greens into blues.

-Oxygen doesn't matter since you can't walk 10 feet without refilling it and the health drain for having none is negligible. You're hurt more by not being able to double jump really.

-Lazers are kind of like Assault rifles in BL2: it depends on which one you get. The good thing is there's only 4 varieties, from a spread to a railgun.

-Not sure

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Borderlands 2 golden keys don't transfer over to Pre-sequel right?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Borderlands 2 golden keys don't transfer over to Pre-sequel right?

Correct.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah. Wish they did,but they tweet them often enough.mplus, you can grind them often enough

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

He was talking about his Level 50 Handsome Jack build, which means... something... maybe?

I did play through it two more times :monocle: Jack was fun until I broke the game with my build. GARBAGE DAY.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

hup posted:

Yeah. Wish they did,but they tweet them often enough.mplus, you can grind them often enough

Or you can smash the idea this is an MMO and cheat engine yourself 999 keys.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

ColHannibal posted:

Or you can smash the idea this is an MMO and cheat engine yourself 999 keys.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Yeah, you shouldn't cheat yourself 999 keys.

There's an option for just disabling the need for keys altogether!

• Locked thread