Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

How do you use b-airs effectively, like you say to approach with it? It seems like that's a key move for a lot of characters but I don't really know how to use it well without slowly setting it up.

If you have a GameCube controller the c-stick is your powerful friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I did cruel melee with Little Mac, and after only my 2nd try, I was able to KO 6 of them in one setting consistently using his down + B attack. I imagine with some practice, I could do the same for Lucina since her counter works similarly and then get enough practice in to KO 8 of them.

In either case, this makes unlocking Duck Hunt pretty easy.
I got Duck Hunt yesterday somehow, I think it was either after doing some matches with my Amiibo or getting 1 kill in Cruel Smash (hey I suck), with Kirby iirc. Or maybe one of the other multi man smashes, but I think the only ones I tried were 10 man and cruel. But I'm guessing I just hit some number of matches metric to unlock.

davey4283 posted:

Uh so I bought this guy today:

And it loving owns. I honestly havent been playing smash much since the pro controller sucks imo. Now that Ive got this guy I'm way more into it.

Also since its a wii classic controller, I can download mario rpg from the wii shop.. its a twofer :c00l:
There's a Hori one too which is supposedly better:
http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Mario-Version-Turbo-u/dp/B00ND0E5ZU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keqg-6CMx_k

It's a me, Mario p

Mario is really fuckin strong

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

japtor posted:

I got Duck Hunt yesterday somehow, I think it was either after doing some matches with my Amiibo or getting 1 kill in Cruel Smash (hey I suck), with Kirby iirc. Or maybe one of the other multi man smashes, but I think the only ones I tried were 10 man and cruel. But I'm guessing I just hit some number of matches metric to unlock.

It was actually that one kill in Cruel Smash that got you Duck Hunt (and their stage)

Also don't feel like you suck for that, even getting one kill in Cruel is a pain in the rear end. I will die before I manage to get eight with Lucina, even following GameXplain's strategy is not working at all for me, I get at best three before I gently caress it up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i got 7 kills with Lucy in cruel smash without using counter, then I died

i was upset

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm having just as much trouble beating the event "The Final FINAL Battle" on hard. :(

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I'm having just as much trouble beating the event "The Final FINAL Battle" on hard. :(

Here's how I did it: I had an attack beefed up Wario, including a KO healer attack badge, and I just used his bike. Get good at knowing when you should pop wheelies with Wario, and you can do it. It's still hard, you'll still die if they manage to get some solid hits on you, but just keep at it.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Thats the one I really wanted but around here you gotta take what you can get.

The x and y buttons on that look exactly the same as the old school type.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

davey4283 posted:

Thats the one I really wanted but around here you gotta take what you can get.

The x and y buttons on that look exactly the same as the old school type.

I ordered this sometime last week so I'm hoping I will get it today.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

It was actually that one kill in Cruel Smash that got you Duck Hunt (and their stage)

Also don't feel like you suck for that, even getting one kill in Cruel is a pain in the rear end. I will die before I manage to get eight with Lucina, even following GameXplain's strategy is not working at all for me, I get at best three before I gently caress it up.
I don't feel so bad about it then, even though I cheesed it by hanging off the edge (mentioned somewhere around here) and pretty much just doing Kirby's up and down specials. I sucked one up and could've had two kills but I spit him out the wrong way.

Got a hopefully general question, any advice on grabs, both in executing and avoiding/defending against them?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Blaze Dragon posted:

That strategy worked for me but you have to keep at it. Took me around six tries to finally get it.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Wario is so good and edge guarding with neutral B never gets old. Landing a fart as the killing blow and getting the rear end in a top hat Wario Laugh winning animation pretty much solidifies a good day.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just got the 8 Cruel Smash KOs as Lucina. I can reliably get 5 if I can get the first attack in, but I had about a string of about a dozen games where I got either 5 or 7 KOs, and that 8th one was just floating in the wind going "gently caress you~~~".

The biggest pain in the rear end are the gunner Miis since they can trigger your counter, but oh look at that, you can't touch them and now there are 4 guys all over your dick.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to try for the 8 cruel KOs with Lucina and I figure by some dumb luck the stars will align and I'll get it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Anyone have a list of what songs are locked behind CDs? I have zero desire to play anything that's not just straight up "multiplayer with friends" but I want to know if there's any jams I really can't live without.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
What does the "competitive" community think about this game? I recall they liked Melee but hated Brawl (because the controls weren't very tight and the tripping mechanic).

Is this better or worse than brawl, in terms of no-items 1v1 gameplay?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

buttcoin smuggler posted:

What does the "competitive" community think about this game? I recall they liked Melee but hated Brawl (because the controls weren't very tight and the tripping mechanic).

I think 1v1 tryhard mode is extremely fun in this game but I'm far from good.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
As a competitive Melee player and general competitive douchebag: Better than Brawl, but still not quite as quick/responsive as Melee. Still a little torn up that theres no L-cancelling to speed things up. Feel no sadness in losing wavedashing. Still find the multiple dodges in the air to be weird. The 'you can always edgegrab' thing is weird but I'm counting it as a net neutral, since it means that if you go out to edge guard you can pretty safely get back to the edge, theoretically allowing for more aggressive wall-of-pain-type maneuvers.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I can't really vouch for the SUPER SERIOUS competitive side but I've been playing Smash "competitively" (as in I played using competitive rules with friends and went to some tournaments here and there but was never good enough to do well) for probably about a decade now. I love the hell out of Melee but Brawl bores me to tears because of how overly defensive it is. On the other hand I suck and can't really keep up with the sheer depth and speed of Melee so I was excited to see Smash 4 being being geared as a mix between the two.

I'm currently liking it a lot!

It feels faster than Brawl, or at the very least it feels easier to follow up on attacks and combo people. Not to an insane Melee degree, but that's fine for now. I'm still cautiously optimistic because I enjoyed Brawl for a few weeks after release before I get fed up with dumb bullshit but for now I'm having fun. At the very least it's nice to see Nintendo is willing to make changes to the game, as evidenced by a patch that went out for the 3DS version a couple days before Wii U hit. It drastically changed a mechanic in the game worked (being able to influence what direction you fly in after being hit). Long story short it stops people from surviving as ridiculously long as they used to under the old mechanic meaning quicker stocks and making things a bit faster.

I'm at the very least interested to see how the metagame develops and how far Nintendo is willing to patch things.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Scarflard finds new complaints every time he loses (Lucario's aura mechanic being able to beat him, Diddy players being able to beat him) but other than that, they seem content.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was under the impression transferring customizations from the 3ds meant you actually get those customizations :(

Turns out you only get to use them on that specific thing you transferred over. So I have a wii with the samus helmet but nobody else can use it.

Thankfully the events unlock stuff REALLY fast compared to the pace of the 3ds smash

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Scarflard finds new complaints every time he loses (Lucario's aura mechanic being able to beat him, Diddy players being able to beat him) but other than that, they seem content.

please don't pay any attention to zero he's just an idiot

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Apparently zero wants to ban Diddy lol

Edit: as someone who used to play competitive melee way back before anyone used to I like smash 4 a LOT. I was playing it all month on my 3ds. Having trouble readjusting to not using the 3ds as a controller at this point actually.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

I think Smash4 is significantly better than Brawl in terms of 1v1 - Brawl 1v1 had a lot of lame bullshit like Metaknight supremacy, chain-grabs, absurd levels of projectile spam, and really awkward edge-guard mechanics. I feel like a lot of cheapest bullshit in Brawl was removed - it feels like a significant upgrade over Brawl (and the addition of an actually decent online mode helps plenty). It doesn't feel as interesting to play as Melee does, but it remains to be seen how the game will develop.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

japtor posted:

There's a Hori one too which is supposedly better:
http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Mario-Version-Turbo-u/dp/B00ND0E5ZU

I got these. I like them -- they feel like gamecube controllers except the L/R are flat instead of having depth. They also feel lighter but I haven't touched a GC controller in years and probably am just used to holding the Wii U tablet controller thing.

Anyway, this game is pretty fun. Megaman, Robin, and Villager are all feeling good to me of the new characters. I was dreading online because my connection often sucks, but it was quite smooth while I was getting my rear end handed to me by a way better Captain Falcon. I need to get better at figuring out wtf to do with megaman when someone is right up in my face.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Any tips for getting a max combo of 30 or more in Training?

My old trick of hitting people repeatedly with a charging Lucario shot on a sloped surface doesn't seem to work as well here as it did on the 3DS version.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My old trick of hitting people repeatedly with a charging Lucario shot on a sloped surface doesn't seem to work as well here as it did on the 3DS version.

smartbombs

ultrachrist posted:

I need to get better at figuring out wtf to do with megaman when someone is right up in my face.

YOUR OPTIONS
  • Mega Upper
  • Slide
  • Shoot lemons
all of those options are good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Play as Ness, set damage to 999, grab and pummel. Congrats, you can now hit a 250-300 combo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Having trouble readjusting to not using the 3ds as a controller at this point actually.

Sync that poo poo up man!

As a sidenote it is kinda irritating that you can only sync a 3ds with a copy of Smash in it for use as a controller. It would be rad if they released something to the Nintendo Shop to allow you to sync any 3ds. Some of my friends might have to play with some (yuck) nunchucks or the gamepad when we finally get 8 people together next weekend.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Absolutely the best mechanical change from Brawl/Melee is getting rid of edge hogging. If you want that kill, now you have to go and get it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think my one major complaint about Smash 4 is how many of the modes cost coins. Master Orders? Charge per ticket. Crazy Orders? Need a pass or 5k just to enter. Classic? If you're broke I hope you like playing on pisseasy baby mode. Trophy Rush? Need stacks of coins to get more than 30 seconds.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Everyone please direct your attention to this:
http://gfycat.com/PleasedDentalGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, I recently moved and it looks like the gamepad got jostled too hard during the move, so the LCD is all hosed. So I can't set up my wii u because I can't enter my wifi password on the screen. Is the only solution on gamepads to pay nintendo like $100+ for repairing it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You could set your WiFi at your new home to have the same username and password it used to that your WiiU is already set to.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

jivjov posted:

I think my one major complaint about Smash 4 is how many of the modes cost coins. Master Orders? Charge per ticket. Crazy Orders? Need a pass or 5k just to enter. Classic? If you're broke I hope you like playing on pisseasy baby mode. Trophy Rush? Need stacks of coins to get more than 30 seconds.

At least they don't cost like, actual money.

Could you imagine if such a company existed that would actually make something like an optional Crazy Orders pass cost real money for you to purchase?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

smartbombs

YOUR OPTIONS
  • Mega Upper
  • Slide
  • Shoot lemons
all of those options are good.

Is shoot lemons the peashooter? I haven't had much luck with that. I've definitely started gravitating towards slide. I'm gonna try the c-stick as tilts tonight because I'm not as consistent as I'd like.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is anyone good with Wii Fit Trainer? I tried her out for a bit and it seems like she just sucks. Bad damage, bad range, super weird hitboxes. Oh, and side B is useless at any distance less than half of FD. I guess it's supposed to be balanced by her having a self buff? But it lasts a whole ten seconds.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ultrachrist posted:

Is shoot lemons the peashooter? I haven't had much luck with that. I've definitely started gravitating towards slide. I'm gonna try the c-stick as tilts tonight because I'm not as consistent as I'd like.

Yeah, and definitely try the up tilt more, it hits really hard if you get someone with the start of it. It's kinda like Luigi's up-b but you have to be on the ground to do it. Also up throw into air shooter can be fun. Don't shy away from throws if someone is in your face.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wii Fit Trainer is great at multi man melees because almost all her attacks go in multiple directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Crossposting from the Wii U thread: For the joystick on the gamepad/pro controller, the "boundary" of how far it moves is the actual stick hitting the rim outside the controller, right, not any internal mechanism? I smash with vigor and I'm paranoid about damaging the thing.

• Locked thread