Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rogue has a cool mechanic were random assassins will stalk you and launch surprise attacks on Shay. Its maybe my favorite mechanic in the game, but its also underused and really basic.

Also things like "you can't sabotage the alarm bell unless no one sees you!" is super irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've just done the first assassination mission and rift in Unity and this game owns. I'm enjoying it way more than 4.

Frame rates are high and stable, no crashes, screen tearing fixed with that Nvidia helper prog. This is far and away the best looking game I've ever played.

The cover system is still poo poo and I occasionally grab something that's not connected to the scenery but overall the changes to that core mechanics seem really really good. I enjoy the parkour a lot more now.

Was it really bad at launch? I've not played many AC games to completion so I'm not burnt out on them, but this is my favorite game in the series by far.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lollerich posted:

I hate everybody who didn't like the modern day part of the rear end Creed games. You're all traitors and need to get stabbed in your kidneys.

:(

This is one of my biggest disappointments with Unity so far. (I haven't finished it yet) Very little, or no continuation of the meta story.

I only installed it last Friday, because the new graphics card I wanted was sold out for a while here in Germany and I only got it last Thursday. So, probably because the second patch is already out, I haven't experienced any major bugs and can play the game at Max settings (plus a few additions forced through the nVidia settings).

The worst that has happened was that my local save was destroyed after the first play session, after that I've been backing it up after every play session and it hasn't hosed up again. I already knew about Ubisofts inability to keep cloud saves intact, so this is the first thing I turn off once I get the chance.

Since then, I have played roughly 20 hours, and haven't run into any bugs at all.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it for now mostly. It's not that terrible, I just ignore all the marketing bullshit (companion app, initiate chests, micro transactions).

Co-op mode is completely stupid of course. It

Ok seriously what card do you have? I can barely get playable framerates on medium-low and I have an exceptionally powerful system.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm only like an hour in, and I've been playing on a GTX 970 without any issues so far. Just installed it. My old 6790 was like trying to play it with molasses though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's a roulette from what I've heard. There are defnitely people who have problems with the game on GTX 970.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Palpek posted:

It's a roulette from what I've heard. There are defnitely people who have problems with the game on GTX 970.

Considering how a number of sources, including Ubisoft, have blamed many of the game's performance issues on Uplay, I'm wondering whether a person has issues or not may be dependent on the quality of their internet connection, or possibly even other factors like distance from Ubisoft servers or time of day.

To those in the thread having the game poo poo the bed regularly: how's your internet typically?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

macnbc posted:

Considering how a number of sources, including Ubisoft, have blamed many of the game's performance issues on Uplay, I'm wondering whether a person has issues or not may be dependent on the quality of their internet connection, or possibly even other factors like distance from Ubisoft servers or time of day.

To those in the thread having the game poo poo the bed regularly: how's your internet typically?

Not a bed-shitter, but for an example at the opposite end, I had very few issues (PS4) and very good internet.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

im pooping! posted:

It took me over 20 tries and when I beat it, I actually did really really well. The trick is avoiding the broadside attack, which you can do if you frequently switch to full stop. It throws off the timing of the Storm Fortress and it will rarely hit you that way. Same with its mortar attacks, move to full stop, turn in the direction of the Storm Fortress, then go to full sail and get a speed boost by doing the ram charge move.

Don't sacrifice health for some mortar hits, I think I mainly used my broadside and only used mortars at the end when you get bum rushed. When the Scepter and Argonaut come into the fray, focus on Storm Fortress until it's dead. Then you can fight the other two at your leisure.

It's frustrating because in my case, it was mostly luck. Don't hurt yourself or break your TV in the process.

This works really well, I finally got it done last night. After this, the most hazardous parts of the battle are the very beginning, when you've got to navigate around your allies and get in a good position, and when the next two ships show up. I also used cannons more than mortars, but this is the best way to avoid Storm Fortress's mortars and the very deadly broadsides.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Wish my computer could handle Unity because then I'd use the 25% of all games at GMG to grab it, but despite being able to run Shadows of Mordor on very high settings I'm not sure my computer could handle Unity at all, and I am not interested in spending $350-400 for a video card capable of running it, or for a console that really has nothing else that interests me.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

I am not interested in spending $350-400 for a video card capable of running it
That won't fix it either

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

That won't fix it either

Well, there seem to be people in this thread saying "It ran great once I bought a 970, just not on my previous card!"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, there seem to be people in this thread saying "It ran great once I bought a 970, just not on my previous card!"
They're locking it at 30fps or not at 1080p (I have a 970)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Patch 3 is being deployed on consoles "tomorrow" and PC "later this week". Patch 4 still wip.

Stability and Performance
  • Fixed numerous random crashes in Campaign and Co-op modes
  • Fixed specific framerate drops
    • Improved task scheduling
    • Tweaked performance for Reach High Points (Synchronization)

Gameplay (Navigation, Fight and Stealth)
  • Fixed various navigation issues where players could get stuck
  • Fixed various haystack issues
  • Fixed various cover issues
  • Fixed various camera issues
  • Fixed various animation issues
  • Fixed various Booster issues

AI & Crowd
  • Fixed various animation issues
  • Fixed various detection issues
  • Fixed various crowd station issues (bonfires)

Matchmaking, Connectivity and Replication
  • Fixed various matchmaking issues
  • Fixed various host migration issues (hand-off occurs more smoothly)
  • Fixed join-in-progress issues
  • Fixed various replication issues between host and clients
  • Fixed various issues in the My Club menu

Menus and HUD
  • Fixed various menu issues and pop-up overlap issues
  • Fixed Mission objective & updating issues
  • Fixed issues in customization menu
  • Fixed some localization inconsistencies in menus
  • Fixed some issues in the credits

Mission Tweaks (Campaign, Co-op and Side Content)
  • Fixed various low-repro walkthrough breaks
  • Fixed various NPC navigation issues
  • Fixed inconsistencies in some missions

World and 3D
  • Adjusted various collisions and navigation mesh issues

Progression and Difficulty
  • Adjusted various Community Event rewards

PC-Specific
  • Fixed save game corruption in some cases
  • Fixed temporal blur from SLI
  • Fixed graphical corruptions in Character Customization menu
  • Fixed crash in Character Customization menu on controller auto-switch
  • Alt+Enter switches windows correctly
  • NPC on side monitors show correctly
  • Minor UI improvements

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finished up Rogue last night, and I'm not going to go into spoiler territory here, but yeesh.

There's some fun fan service throughout, but the idea that it "Fills in important blanks" in the series is comic gold. Curious how Edward Kenway died? How did Haytham, arguably the central character of this entire 'trilogy' end up a templar?

gently caress if I know. Some wikia bullshit tells me I should pick up a novel about all that, but the complete lack of ANY depiction of these events in the "core" entries in the series (IE any of the drat video games) is some awful franchise management.

Shay's character is reasonably well portrayed, with the second act a particular highlight. But he also largely exists as narrative spackle.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

The Iron Rose posted:

Ok seriously what card do you have? I can barely get playable framerates on medium-low and I have an exceptionally powerful system.
It's a GTX 970 Gaming G1. The fans don't even speed up, because the card doesn't even get warm enough. (Other stuff: Corei7 4770, 16GB RAM)
I play at 1080p with Vsync, because my monitor can't handle higher resolutions anyway. It's possible framerate would go to poo poo at higher resolutions and because to me at least the game looks OK so far I haven't tried what happens without Vsync.

macnbc posted:

Considering how a number of sources, including Ubisoft, have blamed many of the game's performance issues on Uplay, I'm wondering whether a person has issues or not may be dependent on the quality of their internet connection
I'm on a 100 mbit downstream (5mbit upstream).

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Narcissus1916 posted:

Finished up Rogue last night, and I'm not going to go into spoiler territory here, but yeesh.

There's some fun fan service throughout, but the idea that it "Fills in important blanks" in the series is comic gold. Curious how Edward Kenway died? How did Haytham, arguably the central character of this entire 'trilogy' end up a templar?

gently caress if I know. Some wikia bullshit tells me I should pick up a novel about all that, but the complete lack of ANY depiction of these events in the "core" entries in the series (IE any of the drat video games) is some awful franchise management.

Shay's character is reasonably well portrayed, with the second act a particular highlight. But he also largely exists as narrative spackle.

I thought it was kind of neat to learn that Haytham was the one who crippled Achilles. Not that I was dying to know that piece of backstory before, but it does cast some bits of AC3 in an interesting light. Totally agree about the novels, though. It's nice when they can add some extra information, but it's a bad thing if something feels lacking unless you read them.

As for Shay's story, I felt it was a pretty decent portrayal about how someone can believably go from the Assassins to the Templars, but I lost a lot of sympathy for Shay when it turned out that he was 100% wrong about Achilles being a power-mad guy who didn't care what might happen to civilians as long as he found the Pieces of Eden—Achilles clearly decided on his own to leave these particular PoE be, and I took from the scene that he went to verify for himself what Shay had been screaming about.

I mean, I don't blame Shay for leaving; it's hard to say for sure since we don't see any detail on what went down in Haiti, but it's believable enough that they're guilty of wishful thinking and not wanting to believe that the Haiti earthquake was caused by their PoE search (and therefore thinking it's fine to send Shay after another one.) So negligent homicide, I guess? They hosed up for sure. But imo their actions didn't square with Shay's revelation that they are so bad and so much worse than the Templars.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Patch 3 is being deployed on consoles "tomorrow" and PC "later this week". Patch 4 still wip.
Awesome, Unity is almost released. Might be able to pick it up before Christmas!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aphrodite posted:

Nemesis system wouldn't work in a Batman game because nobody escapes.

Just go down the line of B-list villains all the way to Z-list no problem.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Uh oh you guys, Assassin's Creed Unity is literally the next ET!

He does have a few good points (microtransactions, Initiates, companion app, which are things nobody likes) but most of this reads like he has no idea what the gently caress he's talking about. Yes, female assassins (new voices, animations, models, storyline scripting, etc etc) are totally the same level of effort as a new hood.

Anybody in the comments with the least amount of sense is being downvoted into oblivion.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Thanks for keeping us updated about the goings-on at CRACKEDDOTCOM.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Is initiates still broken? I unlock a chest in the app and it tells me I can go collect it but then the game tells me to unlock it.

Good thing money is so easy to come by in this game.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

frozenpeas posted:

Is initiates still broken? I unlock a chest in the app and it tells me I can go collect it but then the game tells me to unlock it.

Good thing money is so easy to come by in this game.

Horrifically. I still don't have the Edward Kenway outfit that I had at one point and now it's gone again. :(

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Thanks for keeping us updated about the goings-on at CRACKEDDOTCOM.

You sure sound upset about something!

Positronbob
Jul 5, 2007
Right through the pants
I'm up to sequence 10 in unity, and I feel as though people are being a little unfair by saying that Unity has no modern day story progression. Maybe not in the Paris stuff, but the data rift stuff has uncovered some pretty tasty morsels with the Abstergo emails and so forth. Given the glacial pace of "real world" progress compared to the 1000x stabbings of the main plot of AC games in general, this one doesn't feel different. Despite having the whole "be an abstego employee!!!" trappings of AC4, it's not like you actually Found Out major storyline stuff except for the fact they were looking for poo poo in DNA and they had Desmond's body blah blah

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The thing that really irritates me about the modern-day storyline and Ubisoft's lack of momentum with it is that not long ago I was listening to a podcast where Ubisoft people were discussing AC Initiates, and they were talking about how the cool thing about the modern-day storyline is that ever since AC3 that it has, essentially, been going on in realtime. Everything up until AC3 was "in 2012" but since 2012 it's been "today." They talked about how that presented a lot of cool possibilities and such.

I love ARGs. If you go look in the LP Archive I did one for a game called Missing Since January that was essentially an adventure game ARG. My absolute favorite thing ever in the whole AC series were the Subject 16 puzzles in AC2 and Brotherhood.

Ubisoft has a wide open door to do a fantastic ARG with the modern-day storyline, one that works as a better framing narrative for the games, as well as keeps people engaged between when they come out. But they keep wasting opportunity after opportunity and have totally failed to capitalize on it in every possible way.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Ubisoft would work on an ARG between releases, but they are too busy polishing cinematic videos and mating them to current pop songs.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Polygon is now reporting that the Dead Kings DLC for Unity, which was supposed to be part of the Season Pass, will now be made available for free as a mea culpa for all the tech issues Unity's had.

Something else will be offered in compensation to those who already got the Season Pass.

EDIT: Now confirmed.

Ubisoft posted:

An Update on Assassin’s Creed Unity from Yannis Mallat

The launch of Assassin’s Creed Unity was a highly-anticipated moment for me and for our development teams around the world who dedicated a tremendous amount of energy, passion and skill to the game’s creation. For us, it was the culmination of years of work on new technologies, the development of multiple innovations -- including an all-new game engine -- and an evolution of the Assassin’s Creed franchise’s core pillars. More importantly, we know that it was a highly-anticipated moment for many of you as well, as you looked forward to taking part in the first truly next generation Assassin’s Creed game.

Unfortunately, at launch, the overall quality of the game was diminished by bugs and unexpected technical issues. I want to sincerely apologize on behalf of Ubisoft and the entire Assassin's Creed team. These problems took away from your enjoyment of the game, and kept many of you from experiencing the game at its fullest potential.

We’ve been working hard to fix the problems players are reporting, and the patches we have released so far have resolved many of them. Today, we’re releasing our third patch, which fixes a variety of specific issues related to the game’s stability and performance, matchmaking and connectivity, gameplay and menus. You can find the release notes on that patch here: Patch 3 Notes

To show our appreciation for your continued support, we’re making the upcoming Assassin’s Creed Unity Dead Kings DLC free for everyone. For Season Pass holders, we will also offer the choice of one additional game from a selection of Ubisoft titles for free. More details on the offer for Season Pass holders can be found here: AC Unity FAQ

In addition to the latest patch and this offer, we are committed to delivering further fixes for other issues you’ve raised. In the meantime, please keep your feedback coming – it has been both humbling and incredibly helpful as we continue working hard to improve the overall quality of the game. We are hopeful that with these forthcoming updates, everyone will be able to truly enjoy their Assassin’s Creed Unity experience.

We will continue striving to make Assassin’s Creed one of the most ambitious and innovative franchises on the market, and we thank you for your continued loyalty and support.

Sincerely,

Yannis Mallat

CEO, Ubisoft Montreal & Toronto

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 26, 2014

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

macnbc posted:

Polygon is now reporting that the Dead Kings DLC for Unity, which was supposed to be part of the Season Pass, will now be made available for free as a mea culpa for all the tech issues Unity's had.

Something else will be offered in compensation to those who already got the Season Pass.

If you were retarded enough to buy the Gold Edition(Hello!) or the Season Pass then you get a free game:

quote:

Am I eligible to receive a free Ubisoft game?

If you purchased the Season Pass or Assassin’s Creed Unity Gold Edition (which includes the Season Pass), you are eligible to choose one free game from among a select list of Ubisoft titles.* These are:

The Crew
Far Cry 4
Watch Dogs
Assassin’s Creed Black Flag
Rayman Legends
Just Dance 2015

We are currently setting up the system to process this offer. We will provide an update on how to claim your free game soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Crew blows but to make a brand new game available like that is actually pretty cool.

And of course Far Cry is brand new as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ok that's pretty cool to be honest.

Get Far Cry 4. It's awesome and doesn't have (m)any technical issues.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So if I go and buy a Season Pass now, will I have a get a cheap copy of Far Cry 4?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Shockeh posted:

So if I go and buy a Season Pass now, will I have a get a cheap copy of Far Cry 4?

Yes, if you can find one. The listings have been pulled from Steam/PSN/XBL.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Shockeh posted:

It's been removed from most stores.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People are complaining for a refund, because somehow they can't see they still get everything they paid for plus a free $60 game.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Talk about buying goodwill (that's fine with me!).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

People are complaining for a refund, because somehow they can't see they still get everything they paid for plus a free $60 game.

Well, to be fair, there's a fairly good chance someone already has any game they'd want from that list.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
As a observer without any skin in the game since I'm still saving for a PS4, this is a real class act by Ubisoft. Not only apologizing, but trying to make it better with something tangible and actually at a potential cost to Ubisoft. It doesn't, of course, excuse releasing it so buggy, but it's pretty much the best response a company can do in my eyes. I'll be making sure to pick this up now, good behaviour should be rewarded (of course I probably would anyway since I'm reading a thread about a game I can't play at this time, but still).

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Even though I miss out on a free game, I'm still glad I saw Unity streams the day before it was released, saw the condition the game was in, and decided to get Rogue instead.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Does this mean Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China will be a separate product?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

hiddenriverninja posted:

Does this mean Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China will be a separate product?

Presumably. Though it probably would've been anyway like Freedom Cry was last year. All the FAQ says is that it will still be offered to people who had already bought the season pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well, to be fair, there's a fairly good chance someone already has any game they'd want from that list.

But then you still get everything you paid for.

• Locked thread