Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just looked it up, vs2013 supports none of the string changes

I guess that's because strings are completely hosed in windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

may i suggest swift

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

code:
#define JAVASCRIPT_HEADER                                                     \
    "<script type='text/javascript' language='JavaScript'><!--\n"
#define JAVASCRIPT_FOOTER                                                     \
    "//--></script>\n"
code:
static const uint8_t data_about_htm[] =
{
    /* /about.htm */
    0x2f, 0x61, 0x62, 0x6f, 0x75, 0x74, 0x2e, 0x68,
    0x74, 0x6d, 0x00,
    0x3c, 0x21, 0x44, 0x4f, 0x43, 0x54, 0x59, 0x50,
    0x45, 0x20, 0x48, 0x54, 0x4d, 0x4c, 0x3e, 0x0a,
    0x3c, 0x21, 0x2d, 0x2d, 0x20, 0x43, 0x6f, 0x70,
    0x79, 0x72, 0x69, 0x67, 0x68, 0x74, 0x20, 0x28,
    0x63, 0x29, 0x20, 0x32, 0x30, 0x31, 0x33, 0x2d,
    0x32, 0x30, 0x31, 0x34, 0x20, 0x54, 0x65, 0x78,
    0x61, 0x73, 0x20, 0x49, 0x6e, 0x73, 0x74, 0x72,
    0x75, 0x6d, 0x65, 0x6e, 0x74, 0x73, 0x20, 0x49,
    0x6e, 0x63, 0x6f, 0x72, 0x70, 0x6f, 0x72, 0x61,
    0x74, 0x65, 0x64, 0x2e, 0x20, 0x20, 0x41, 0x6c,
    0x6c, 0x20, 0x72, 0x69, 0x67, 0x68, 0x74, 0x73,
    0x20, 0x72, 0x65, 0x73, 0x65, 0x72, 0x76, 0x65,
    0x64, 0x2e, 0x20, 0x2d, 0x2d, 0x3e, 0x0a, 0x3c,
    0x68, 0x74, 0x6d, 0x6c, 0x3e, 0x0a, 0x3c, 0x68,
    0x65, 0x61, 0x64, 0x3e, 0x0a, 0x3c, 0x74, 0x69,
    0x74, 0x6c, 0x65, 0x3e, 0x45, 0x4b, 0x2d, 0x54,
    0x4d, 0x34, 0x43, 0x31, 0x32, 0x39, 0x34, 0x58,

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

that makes the javascript runs faster

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

lol at writing c++ and expecting ABI compatibility between compiler versions

or in the case of OS X, stdlibs

I just like bringing it up to remind people that C++ is a toy language for idiots

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pseudorandom name posted:

I just like bringing it up to remind people that C++ is a toy language for idiots

what is a working mans language for a working man?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
go

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

where?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hahahahahahahahaha

because if we learned one thing from JavaScript, it's that languages with weird interpretations of OOP are the future

NewtonScript was Pascal-flavored JavaScript before JavaScript existed, and precisely as many people used it as you'd expect, because prototype-based inheritance sounds cool in a journal paper but in the real world everyone expects classes

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
(eh, most dynamic languages expose some prototypical behaviour)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

BONGHITZ posted:

what is a working mans language for a working man?

Java.

It may the the COBOL this side of the millennium, it isn't as trendy as anything else running on the JVM, but it will still be there when theye got out of fashion. There is a lot of code written that needs maintenance, and plenty of new middleware business workflow adaptors to make.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

eschaton posted:

hahahahahahahahaha

because if we learned one thing from JavaScript, it's that languages with weird interpretations of OOP are the future

NewtonScript was Pascal-flavored JavaScript before JavaScript existed, and precisely as many people used it as you'd expect, because prototype-based inheritance sounds cool in a journal paper but in the real world everyone expects classes

golang has a weird interpretation of oop? years ago one argument that was made to me was that golang is the new language that will supply the oop needs for the future and since then I just assumed it was kinda like c++

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

Java.

It may the the COBOL this side of the millennium, it isn't as trendy as anything else running on the JVM, but it will still be there when theye got out of fashion. There is a lot of code written that needs maintenance, and plenty of new middleware business workflow adaptors to make.

Sometimes I feel sad that I really only know Java, but then I remember poo poo like Strings aren't even a thing in C++ and cheer up.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

golang has a weird interpretation of oop? years ago one argument that was made to me was that golang is the new language that will supply the oop needs for the future and since then I just assumed it was kinda like c++

kinda like in the sense that they're both compiled? sure.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

no generics, not worth bothering with

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
rust is the light

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
rust si god awful

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

C#

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

c# java and python, go forth and earn unless you are one of those gay web developers

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
terrible programmer opinion: scala is real rough and somehow manages to have worse tools than clojure (clojure owns). gonna stop caring about scala

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
also i haven't written any erlang in like 6 months but all the erlang code i wrote is still running real well

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

more like dICK posted:

terrible programmer opinion: scala is real rough and somehow manages to have worse tools than clojure (clojure owns). gonna stop caring about scala

Scala is cool if you really love type theory, but it's a very bloated language. ScalaIDE is awful and while the IntelliJ plugin is getting better it still bugs out from time to time. sbt is still very slow. I read a reasonable assertion somewhere that said it'll almost certainly die off, but as a sacrificial lamb to improve Java and whatever comes after it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Symbolic Butt posted:

it only has interfaces, not classes, and also has no inheritance.

(also no generics, but we've gotten by just fine without them for 40 years in Smalltalk and 25 in ObjC.)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

more like dICK posted:

Use f#, it's kinda like dot net scala but with a less poo poo syntax and less bloat

Also has great tools cause you get to use visual studio

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
i don't really do anything on windows, so if i'm going the ML route I should probably do ocaml

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ocaml type signatures are funny looking

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ocaml type signatures are the only ones that get things the right way round. 'string list' makes much more sense than 'list string', unless you're reading this in your browser chrome on your laptop bookmac apple

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soricidus posted:

ocaml type signatures are the only ones that get things the right way round. 'string list' makes much more sense than 'list string', unless you're reading this in your browser chrome on your laptop bookmac apple

nice anglocentrism

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eschaton posted:

it only has interfaces, not classes, and also has no inheritance.

(also no generics, but we've gotten by just fine without them for 40 years in Smalltalk and 25 in ObjC.)

do people actually use smalltalk for anything

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
they use it to socialize

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

fritz posted:

do people actually use smalltalk for anything

in the darkest corners of my companies code you can still find java classes whose only documentation is

code:
/**
 * This type was generated by VAGen from VisualAge Smalltalk.
 */

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

more like dICK posted:

scala is very nice
clojure is ok unless i have to interoperate with java

sbt is loving horrible
lein is almost as bad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

hobbesmaster posted:

nice anglocentrism

ocaml syntax was invented by the french, it's hardly anglocentric to approve of it

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

scala is very nice
clojure is ok unless i have to interoperate with java

sbt is loving horrible
lein is almost as bad

i guess we're doing different things because my experience re: java interop was the exact opposite

i dont think i ever called clojure from java though

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Seaside Loafer posted:

c# java and python, go forth and earn unless you are one of those gay web developers

:agreed:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
decommissioned a long running server today

it was like one of those tv shows where the main character turns out the lights one last time except right click > terminate

<3 u aws

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Product is a cloud based accounts receivable system for processing loan payments. Recently upgraded from an existing client/server VB4/Access solution.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blinkz0rz posted:

decommissioned a long running server today

it was like one of those tv shows where the main character turns out the lights one last time except right click > terminate

<3 u aws

at my last job i literally had servers older than aws, the service

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at my last job i literally had servers older than aws, the service

well yeah that's not uncommon. here we've only been maintaining infrastructure for the past couple of years.

our it department proper has servers that have been running in some shape or form since at least 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blinkz0rz posted:

well yeah that's not uncommon. here we've only been maintaining infrastructure for the past couple of years.

our it department proper has servers that have been running in some shape or form since at least 2004.

i meant individual pieces of hardware

if you just count OS installs that have been moved between hardware devices over the years, i've seen services from the 1970s still in use this decade

• Locked thread