Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Krowley posted:

Make sure you have selected the character you want raised

I tried again and it worked this time. I must have not had them selected before (but I thought I had).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I got kinda tired of my Cleric / Ranger canon party game, and decided to spice things up a bit. Solo wild mage with full SCS installed :cool:

I'm level 3 and can't kill poo poo, hah. Next up is Nashkel, but the improved mines are loving brutal. I might have to just run through them, kill Mulahey somehow, get all the poo poo and run :P

The random encounter bounty hunters will most likely gently caress me up, though. I guess I should just pick my battles & clear the countryside of anything living before advancing the plot.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Solo mage in BG1 is so laborious. Just about every fight involves kiting with familiar or summons and slinging until the creatures are dead.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Are the iPad versions of these games worth getting?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Is modding possible on the Android version of IWD? I'm playing it on my tablet while recovering from surgery, and managing my archer's arrow stock is a royal pain in the rear end because she empites stacks like I empty boxes of painkillers.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Azuth0667 posted:

Are the iPad versions of these games worth getting?

The interfaces and touch controls are great. Some people complain about bugs, and rightfully so, but I never had any big issues aside from some minor inconveniences.

So yeah, you should get them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

I tried again and it worked this time. I must have not had them selected before (but I thought I had).

This drove me insane when I first got into these games as well. For something so simple it took me like a day to figure it out.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Hahahah, holy poo poo, wild magic is the best thing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lilli posted:

*is killed by falling cow*

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lilli posted:

Did you just give everyone their own simulacrum?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

anime tupac posted:

I am apparently the only person in this thread who thinks that Neera is acceptable and her voice acting is fine.
I thought that she was OK as well. I had used her in one BG1 playthrough and had no complaints. I can't say I particularly liked her, but she is the only pure mage that can cast every mage spell in the game and the extra spell slot per level makes up for the occasional wild magic accident.

fong posted:

Neera's character is basically the same as that mage (or sorcerer?) from NWN2. Kind of impetuous/hot headed, undisciplined yet powerful, stumble into their magic almost by accident and have hurt people in the past (usually with fire), pursued by other mages who want to study her... It goes on.
I don't think so. Neera is fundamentally good and tries to help others. Qara is truly egocentric and drunk in her own power. I'd say she's more chaotic evil than chaotic neutral despite the latter being her listed alignment. Qara is quite happy to kill those that insult her and hates the PC if he doesn't stroke her ego and tells her to run wild with her power. The fact that Neera is pursued by Red Wizards because they want her as a test subject while Qara is pursued because she set fire to the mages academy and later probably killed a bunch of students who came after her for that is telling.

Lilli posted:

I once had an elemental summoning spell affect the entire party and ended up with 6 summoned elementals.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Wild magic accidents are hilarious. Casting magic missile in that first tomb after Kulduhar in IWD: EE and it gates in some loving demon thing which murdered all the skeletons and chased me to town.

Dragonrah posted:

The interfaces and touch controls are great. Some people complain about bugs, and rightfully so, but I never had any big issues aside from some minor inconveniences.

So yeah, you should get them.

Works amazingly I hope they port PS:T over to ipad too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Neera's romance is terrible, but she's a great companion. She's also got the benefit of introducing more story stuff into the game, which none of the other companions do. ( Wild Magic only became a thing with the death of some gods. Namely the god of magic. This is why she's being hunted, because Thay wants to figure out how a simple farmgirl can match their best and brightest with no formal training. )

It's a bit forced, but it's better then Dorn ( I'm just evil. ), Hexxat ( More Vampires? ), and Rasaad ( We made up a new cult of crazy martial arts dudes. They don't really fit the setting but whatever, Monks man. ).

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
And yet they don't hunt sorcerers. hosed up, imo

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

And yet they don't hunt sorcerers. hosed up, imo

Sorcerers didn't exist at that point. They were only introduced in 3rd edition, while the Time of Troubles/Bhaalspawn Crisis was 2nd.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I wanted to complain that I could play as a Sorcerer with Neera in my party but then I remembered that the games aren't canon.

Unlike the books :mrgw:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Did you just give everyone their own simulacrum?

Who is CHARNAME here? Looks like all NPC party?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

BadAstronaut posted:

Who is CHARNAME here? Looks like all NPC party?

It's Lilli Whizzardslayur

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

It's Lilli Whizzardslayur

He's saying the pictures are all of NPCs (I think).

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The portraits for the Enhanced Edition NPCs are available to select as a portrait for CHARNAME. It looks like the PC is using Neera's portrait.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Started a game of IWDEE, decided to use a Wild Mage for the first time. Very first fight of the game, dude gates a demon in and wipes it the party.

:allears: This game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I found Neera's romance less annoying than most of them, really. There was no Aerie/Viconia/Jaheira woe is me junk. The closest you got to drama was the stuff at the Refuge, and that just leads to a pissed off Neera kicking down the door of a Red Wizard enclave and a pretty fun fight starting.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

My favorite incident of wild Mage fuckery was in one of the ironman threads where a surge summoned a greater demon in the very first fight in the game versus a candlekeep assassin.

This was of course the fastest death in the thread.

I have a wild Mage in my current IWD:EE party and my three favorite surges thus far were getting a fireball instead of a magic missile (useful), silencing my entire party (less useful), and robbing a poor summoned goblin of all his gold (just plain silly).

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Rookersh posted:

It's a bit forced, but it's better then Dorn ( I'm just evil. ), Hexxat ( More Vampires? ), and Rasaad ( We made up a new cult of crazy martial arts dudes. They don't really fit the setting but whatever, Monks man. ).

They actually did not make up the sun soul monks. They were not very well known being talked about in like one official book. But they existed before BG:EE. They were introduced in City of Splendors: Waterdeep in 2005.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Forgotten Realms is such a clusterfuck of every fantasy cliché ever, so I guess kung fu monks who speak with a vaguely oriental accent fit right in

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 27, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tzarnal posted:

They actually did not make up the sun soul monks. They were not very well known being talked about in like one official book. But they existed before BG:EE. They were introduced in City of Splendors: Waterdeep in 2005.

And Faiths and Pantheons and the 3e FRCS. Also Champions of Valor and likely Faiths and Avatars.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

Forgotten Realms is such a clusterfuck of every fantasy cliché ever

I think it created a lot of those clichés, actually.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

I think it created a lot of those clichés, actually.

nah, they ripped everything off. jack vance, Tolkien and various mythologies. names, concepts, characters... it's all a big rip off.

I still love it tho :)

now dark sun, spelljammer, planescape etc. are some p. original stuff. but forgotten realms Is as vanilla as a fantasy setting can get. actually i guess that it's charm is that it basically has everything.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Dyna Soar posted:

nah, they ripped everything off. jack vance, Tolkien and various mythologies. names, concepts, characters... it's all a big rip off.

I still love it tho :)

now dark sun, spelljammer, planescape etc. are some p. original stuff. but forgotten realms Is as vanilla as a fantasy setting can get. actually i guess that it's charm is that it basically has everything.

I don't like calling it vanilla. It's like chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry in a blender. Now Dragonlance. That's vanilla.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MegaGatts posted:

I don't like calling it vanilla. It's like chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry in a blender. Now Dragonlance. That's vanilla.

well said! :)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Time to give Icewind Dale another try. My secret shame is that despite finishing BG2 multiple times with difficulty mods, gimmick parties and random spell selections, I've never gotten very far in Icewind Dale before giving up in frustration. It's possible (sometimes even advantageous), to get away with goofy poo poo like all rogue parties or melee mages in the BG games, even with SCS 1 and 2 but I don't think that poo poo's gonna fly in the Dale...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't suppose there's a way to stuff a playable Kobold into that game is there? He'd be pretty useless, but I want to recreate Neves' crew from Castle Arcania and dammit, they need their 6 HP wonder.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

In Icewind Dale EE, is there any drawback to having all my tanks specialize in crushing weapons. Seems like half the enemies I fight are skeletal undead that resist everything else, but theres hardly anything that resists crushing.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I haven't really been able to get into Icewind Dale because it is balanced around an optimal party and even then requires extensive use of MMORPG–type tactics in order to deal with all the enemies that you face. It's not really fun for me to inch forward, drawing only one or two opponents at a time while the others stand around idle offscreen, because if I walk two feet further than that I would aggravate the entire group.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

I don't suppose there's a way to stuff a playable Kobold into that game is there? He'd be pretty useless, but I want to recreate Neves' crew from Castle Arcania and dammit, they need their 6 HP wonder.

Not "officially" afaik, but you can use a custom portrait, then ShadowKeeper can edit your stats/sprite to a kobold.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

divx posted:

In Icewind Dale EE, is there any drawback to having all my tanks specialize in crushing weapons. Seems like half the enemies I fight are skeletal undead that resist everything else, but theres hardly anything that resists crushing.
That's not a bad idea I suppose. Though it does mean that plenty of good weapons will be unusable by your tanks and they'll have to compete for a more limited pool of weapons. There are a few shambling mounds late in the game that are immune to blunt damage but vulnerable to other types of damage including missile damage, so you could switch to say bows or slings for those. If you have tanks limited to specialization instead of grandmastery, you can afford to specialize in a bladed and a blunt weapon and switch between the two.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Draile posted:

I haven't really been able to get into Icewind Dale because it is balanced around an optimal party and even then requires extensive use of MMORPG–type tactics in order to deal with all the enemies that you face. It's not really fun for me to inch forward, drawing only one or two opponents at a time while the others stand around idle offscreen, because if I walk two feet further than that I would aggravate the entire group.

You can be a bit more cavalier if you make use of the crowd-control AoE spells they give you. If you take along a druid and a couple arcane casters, you get access to Entangle, Web, Grease, and Stinking Cloud early on. Druids get a spell called Spike Trap that does 1d4 damage to people in its AoE for several rounds. Once you get a good clump you can drop Skull Trap and Fireballs on it and do serious damage. You can pickpocket a couple Rings of Free Action in Kuldahar to let a couple tanks wander through the web/grease/vine area, and there is a cloak that gives you Free Action for a few rounds early on as well.

Scouting is what I've found to help out the most. I'm about halfway through my second playthrough and I've taken along a Thief/Mage both times, liberal use of Invisibility and scouting ahead will help plan taking out larger groups.

There are parts early on where you do have to draw out a few guys at a time though, the game remains pretty difficult through Ynoximei. After that it gets a lot easier and you have more options and buffs/debuffs.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
A big difference between BG2 and IWD is that AC tanks are perfectly viable after being drat near useless in BG2. If you can get your AC to -12 or so there's very few enemies in the game that will reliably hit you.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Starting yet another BG2EE run and it seems like Keldorn's quest is bugged. When I enter his house for the first time nothing happens, it like starts the cut-scene but nothing happens and I have to quit out of the game. Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Also, why are all the good NCPs such little bitches? Other than Jan everyone of them is a huge whiny rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Starting yet another BG2EE run and it seems like Keldorn's quest is bugged. When I enter his house for the first time nothing happens, it like starts the cut-scene but nothing happens and I have to quit out of the game. Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Also, why are all the good NCPs such little bitches? Other than Jan everyone of them is a huge whiny rear end in a top hat.

The alignment system is kinda weird in bioware's interpretation. Good or Neutral= kinda a sissy bitch. evil= pretty chill.