Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

It's not turn based.

how the hell do you play FTL? it's pretty drat close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mach2 posted:

how the hell do you play FTL? it's pretty drat close

not at all anymore because I didn't really like it. did not enjoy the completely random choices.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

completely random choices.

So you didn't play FTL

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

when the game came out the choices were completely random. I don't know if they still are.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's a slot machine battler with micromanaged combat and a static end boss.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

It's a slot machine battler with micromanaged combat and a static end boss.

So it's a roguelike

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

turns out only rogue is a roguelike

nothing else is or ever will be

argument resolved

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

euphronius posted:

So it's a roguelike

basically. I'd feel better about disliking so much if it weren't, but that's because there are fundamentally quite a few things wrong with me as a person

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

euphronius posted:

ok

I can give advice on Angband I played that a ton

I kinda wanna play that now since it's supposedly gotten way more accessible in the more recent versions.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Thug Lessons posted:

I kinda wanna play that now since it's supposedly gotten way more accessible in the more recent versions.

no don't!!!!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
angband was the roguelike of my youth and honestly, looking back, I don't understand how it left me with any fondness for the genre at all

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Like I said it's supposedly been changed a lot recently.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

angband was the roguelike of my youth and honestly, looking back, I don't understand how it left me with any fondness for the genre at all

maybe you should try out animeband

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Like I said it's supposedly been changed a lot recently.

this page claims the latest release was two years ago; this page says it's been released a month in the future. I am extremely confused.

Swelter Discharge posted:

maybe you should try out animeband

tell me more.......

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

this page claims the latest release was two years ago; this page says it's been released a month in the future. I am extremely confused.

tell me more.......

All of the classes and races from Angband (and most of the monsters) have been changed. For example, races include DBZ Saiyajins and Androids, Moogles from the Final Fantasy series, and 'Hententmons' (a combination of hentai tentacle beasts and Pokémon). Classes include your typical adventuring classes, as well as off-the-wall classes like Students, Cosplayers and Sentai Heroes (Power Rangers-style Japanese superheroes).

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

All of the classes and races from Angband (and most of the monsters) have been changed. For example, races include DBZ Saiyajins and Androids, Moogles from the Final Fantasy series, and 'Hententmons' (a combination of hentai tentacle beasts and Pokémon). Classes include your typical adventuring classes, as well as off-the-wall classes like Students, Cosplayers and Sentai Heroes (Power Rangers-style Japanese superheroes).

!!!!!!!!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
checking the angband changelog, I found the exact change I wanted to see to prove the devs were serious about making the game any good.

quote:

- Remove Iron Spikes, jammed doors, and player door bashing.

so yeah, maybe it is worth trying again.

(they also remove selling to shops by default, which is good.)

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

checking the angband changelog, I found the exact change I wanted to see to prove the devs were serious about making the game any good.

so yeah, maybe it is worth trying again.

(they also remove selling to shops by default, which is good.)

What I heard was basically: the length of the game has been reduced a lot. Most games take around 100k turns (comparable to Crawl) rather than millions, playtime is around the level of ToME (still too long but manageable), and the incentive is tilted more towards diving rather than tediously fighting only stuff you can kill safely. Lots of scummy stuff removed, broken and unfun monsters removed, and stuff like that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I wish ADOM would take out stuck doors

like what does that add

what does it do

"oh wow I have to mash my face into this door 6 times before it will then open this really adds tension and immersion to my genocide simulator"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Michael Jackson posted:

I lived and breathed and fanfictioned about ADOM. It is good. #f@f..

get the gently caress out

only I am allowed to fanfiction about a lovely letter game

# . . . @ . . . & . . +

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

Black August posted:

turns out only rogue is a roguelike

nothing else is or ever will be

argument resolved

But...Rogue cannot be a roguelike...so there never was such a thing as a roguelike at all...<dissolves into dust>

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

It's a lot of fun and gear drivin. Yeah I think it has been made better in that stat gain is not so important or it is easier. Also I believe the ID system is much more friendly.

Do yourself a favor and play the pure ASCII. I always found it somehow beautiful, especially the vaults.

Now, in this game, the Vaults are the most fun part of the game. Finding them and clearing them. Also the uniques are pretty cool.

Basically your "build" is going to be what gear you get.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

because it was awesome. the gear is awesome, the vaults are awesome.

Getting a god like weapon in that game is the best feeling.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Brogue is fun so far. Are potions the primary way to get stats?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

Brogue is fun so far. Are potions the primary way to get stats?

There's only two stats, HP and strength, and you can only get them from potions.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just got my rear end kicked by 2 goblin conjurerers that summoned like 30 spectral blades. I got a lucky unidentified teleport scroll but the swords found me at the other side of the map. This game is awesome.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

Just got my rear end kicked by 2 goblin conjurerers that summoned like 30 spectral blades. I got a lucky unidentified teleport scroll but the swords found me at the other side of the map. This game is awesome.

when i played a little of brogue the conjurers got me too

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This game has really cool traps.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

alright OP

*plays rogue legacy*

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

its only a roguelike if it is ascii or has an ascii mode

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
whats the Good server for the crawl web client
the server where the good players are so i can steal their strats

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

whats the Good server for the crawl web client
the server where the good players are so i can steal their strats

https://crawl.s-z.org/#lobby

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Brogue is really cool and pretty and good and has become my new work break game

Sil also sounds pretty awesome

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
I played The Pit for like 20 hours and its OK I guess, not really good and also obnoxious sometimes

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

thnk

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

hey fungus let me tell you that the trunk draconian tiles are complete garbage hth.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

hey fungus let me tell you that the trunk draconian tiles are complete garbage hth.

rude

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

the new high level translocation book is cool though

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

the new high level translocation book is cool though

it should have been called the Parchment of the Planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

parchment of the plapes

• Locked thread